Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Amoeba102 posted:

How do you go by Junk Science and not be parody?

Infowars has been waging war on information since 1999.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This has a Dave Barry rhythm to it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Help, I gave my toddler one children's Tylenol and now he's on the streets trying to buy krokodil with his pretend money :ohdear:

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
Oh poo poo I haven't seen a Reader's Digest in ages. Guess I'm a commie.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Golden Dragon posted:

Oh poo poo I haven't seen a Reader's Digest in ages. Guess I'm a commie.

If you aren’t well read you’re well red

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh lol, I'd forgotten that @junkscience was not a satirical account posting examples of idiotic science takes but was, in fact, making the idiotic science takes themselves :dumbbravo:
Are they knowingly disingenuous or really, truly this stupid? I got Poe’s Law’d pretty hard on this one.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Surely nobody is actually stupid enough to take the known maximum of a random half of a dataset and compare it to the known minimum of the other half to establish a trend.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Milloy

By "junk science" he means "climate science," and he is completely serious. Also, according to that wikipedia article, he opposes the second-hand-smoke-cancer link (he is evidently directly paid to do so by tobacco companies), wants to abolish the Surgeon General, and is pro DDT and asbestos.

He's a grifter. He no doubt knows exactly how stupid that graph is. But he gets paid the big bux to lie to conservative americans.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I am once again asking people to consider how gears work.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are those gears or viruses? They’re not touching, regardless, so they can all spin freely I think.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I think the yellow gear mostly can, though it might be close enough to the blue to get clinked once per tooth, but the other three look like they spin properly, and the blue and green aren't close enough to affect each other so they should influence each other somewhat. So I guess the point is that social forces aren't relevant to SARS spread, although tbh it's been a long day and this metaphor isn't really working for me. What's the motive force? Time and the inevitability of death?

At any rate. Whatever this engine is I bet it rattles loud as gently caress.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They're 4 covids combining into a covid Voltron.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Here's a fun game: which label applies to which gear?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Muscle Tracer posted:

An rear end has one hole: the rear end in a top hat. It also has two cheeks, between which is the cheekend.

Everybody's twerking for the cheekend

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Splicer posted:

Here's a fun game: which label applies to which gear?

Lol I think they're not labels of the gears, but rather different factors and where they map in the 4-plex based on the labels given in the boxes; poor social support is a combo of social and psychological factors etc

is that trying to say long covid is a syndrome?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Muscle Tracer posted:

An rear end has one hole: the rear end in a top hat. It also has two cheeks, between which is the cheekend.

There's only one rear end in a top hat: the human rear end in a top hat.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

DontMockMySmock posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Milloy

By "junk science" he means "climate science," and he is completely serious. Also, according to that wikipedia article, he opposes the second-hand-smoke-cancer link (he is evidently directly paid to do so by tobacco companies), wants to abolish the Surgeon General, and is pro DDT and asbestos.

He's a grifter. He no doubt knows exactly how stupid that graph is. But he gets paid the big bux to lie to conservative americans.

There's a similar group, CO2Science that runs the same kind of grift:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_for_the_Study_of_Carbon_Dioxide_and_Global_Change

They were an important part of my political development because they used to have a thing on their website where every day they'd show real data from a weather station and that showed a cooling trend over time.

The tool was interactive and you could pick any weather station in the US.

I played around a little with the tool and found that there were a lot of stations where the trend was upwards instead.

I ended up making a map of every weather station, and color coding based on whether the trend was up, down or neutral.

At the end, it was clear that some areas of the country were getting cooler, but most was getting hotter. By looking at the data directly, it was pretty obvious that something was up, and even though some areas were getting cooler, there was definitely some kind of thing happening.

And after that, when I'd see the daily chart only showing cooling areas, I knew that these guys were being dishonest, and I think that was a good lesson to learn early.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
We seriously should stop making bulldogs, though.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm lookin up random dogs from that and the Brussels Griffon looks like a hairy gremlin pug

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Chart is flawed, because the Brussels Griffon is as good as it gets.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
That is a diagram of a dog orgy.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Amoeba102 posted:

Chart is flawed, because the Brussels Griffon is as good as it gets.

Also because pugs belong right next to bulldogs in the Monstrosity Circle.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Boxers are dumb as gently caress but the best dogs yes they are

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Obviously the best dogs are corgis, on account of being able to produce smaller corgi versions of any other dog given the slightest opportunity

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.
Does that chart say that cats are one of the highest rated types of dogs?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The domestic shorthair cat is the fifth best dog.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Phanatic posted:

We seriously should stop making dogs, though.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Melaneus posted:

Does that chart say that cats are one of the highest rated types of dogs?

where's the lie?

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

How is dachshund not at the upper limit of hot dog

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

How is dachshund not at the upper limit of hot dog

Hot dogs are generally made from pigs and rats

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why are hounds supposedly dumb? :mad: That's some sort of discrimination.

Except the token smart one apparently.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

All the terriers and other tiny doglings belong to the left side. :colbert:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I like how huskies are high on their rating, but if you don't have the time or ability to give them a lot of exercise they'll tear your house up.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Why are hounds supposedly dumb?

To keep them at bay, I'm sure.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

hooah posted:

I like how huskies are high on their rating, but if you don't have the time or ability to give them a lot of exercise they'll tear your house up.

That simply sounds like justice to me. Don‘t get an animal if you can‘t accomodate it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
this might be the first chart I've ever seen where the British punch above their weight in "happiness"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I don't have any metal bands, am I missing out or is this a passive buff based on knowing how many others have? :ohdear: