Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

CommonShore posted:

was it known when it was written/published that it was carrying that burden?

The short answer is probably "no", but Terry's Alzheimer's was progressing progressing pretty steadily at that point and he in fact had to dictate the novel because he wasn't able to type as well as he used to. I am sure that if he wasn't struggling with his condition he would've written a lot more past Raising Steam and Shepherd's Crown, and of course Shepherd's Crown was published posthumously in what Terry would've considered unfinished condition, but I think he knew how much time he had left to write a proper ending to the Discworld. Having the Disc officially enter the Industrial Age is as good a stopping point as any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Youremother posted:

The short answer is probably "no", but Terry's Alzheimer's was progressing progressing pretty steadily at that point and he in fact had to dictate the novel because he wasn't able to type as well as he used to. I am sure that if he wasn't struggling with his condition he would've written a lot more past Raising Steam and Shepherd's Crown, and of course Shepherd's Crown was published posthumously in what Terry would've considered unfinished condition, but I think he knew how much time he had left to write a proper ending to the Discworld. Having the Disc officially enter the Industrial Age is as good a stopping point as any.

He’d been dictating well before then; I Shall Wear Midnight and Snuff were both largely dictated by Terry into voice recognition software, possibly even Unseen Academicals.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

Bruceski posted:

The reference I feel proud of myself for getting is the Selachii and Venturi families who are rivals in Ankh-Morpork high society.

Selachii is the clade for most sharks, and the Venturi Effect is used for some jet pumps.

I have no idea where I picked up the knowledge for that one, it sounded familiar when I was reading Night Watch and about a year later things clicked but they're not topics I know well.

Never got this, never got dog-botherer (on my own).

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The_Doctor posted:

He’d been dictating well before then; I Shall Wear Midnight and Snuff were both largely dictated by Terry into voice recognition software, possibly even Unseen Academicals.

I didn't actually know that. I'd seen others making him dictating Raising Steam as the explanation for the book's noticeable shift in writing style, but if there was a point in my opinion where Discworld started to feel different it would have been Unseen Academicals...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Unseen Academicals is such an odd one because I’d never heard Terry express a single interest in football ever apart from that one line in his tiny biography about being a journalist and covering everything but the football.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I think the tonal difference is partly due to scope and partly due to his work on The Long Earth series. I'd always figured "co-written" meant Terry came up with the ideas and Baxter did the writing, but the latest biography establishes pretty clearly that Terry was much more involved than that, and I think the tone and approach are much closer: the later Long "X" books go more and more for "sweep of history" perspectives and the introduction of new characters who may or may not feature for very long, both things that happen in Raising Steam as well.

To a certain extent, it feels like a book that continues some of the work of Nation, but which (atypically for Terry) takes a focus on ideas, technological progress, and their effect on people and society much more than focusing on people. If we reverse Granny's "people as things" formulation, Raising Steam is as much about things as people as it is about the characters we want it to be focused on. The extent to which golems play a part in the novel may reinforce that, especially the extent to which Terry seems to suggest that social movements depend much more upon technology and technological advancement than generally gets acknowledged. Again, it's not an argument you'd expect from someone as humanist as he'd been; I'm not sure if Raising Steam qualifies as a "post-humanist" story, but it does feel like the positive-but-cynical take on something that Shepherd's Crown approaches in a much less cynical way.

That doesn't change that you can see he simply didn't spend the same amount of time polishing and perfecting from scene to scene, and while I think some of the disjointedness is purposeful, I'm unsure whether the purpose preceded or followed problems with the story and its shape and pacing. At least the possibility that the story got out of Terry's control goes hand in hand with some of the themes.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The back half of the Rob Wilkins official biography is very hard work to get through, he's not spared a lot in how he writes about Terry going downhill.

quote:

...On top of that, there would always come the great day of reckoning when Terry went back and cut and shifted things around, and planed and sanded and polished what he had written until it was the novel. But this time, in a way that filled me with panic, there was no sign of that day coming. He was just downloading these scenes, beautiful scenes, one after another. The book simply grew and grew. By the end of March 2013, the count stood at 130,000 words – the length of Unseen Academicals.

At that point, I said to Terry, ‘Let’s down tools momentarily, and have a look at what we’ve got.’ Over that weekend I went back over the text, stripped out the scenes that were repeats of each other and the scenes that set off down dead ends, and realized, with a sinking heart, that there was no narrative direction whatsoever.

Rob then called Terry's editor, and they stitched the scenes together into something approaching a novel as best they could.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Wow, that is incredibly sad. Alzheimer's is hell.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Trin Tragula posted:

The back half of the Rob Wilkins official biography is very hard work to get through, he's not spared a lot in how he writes about Terry going downhill.

Rob then called Terry's editor, and they stitched the scenes together into something approaching a novel as best they could.

dang I wonder if that accounts for the summary passages that I was noting above.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CommonShore posted:

dang I wonder if that accounts for the summary passages that I was noting above.

I'm sure it does.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

One thing to remember is that Alzheimer’s robbed Terry of his sight too, so he couldn’t actually read what he’d written/dictated, it had to be read back to him. Not being able to see things on the page is a huge detriment to a writer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The_Doctor posted:

One thing to remember is that Alzheimer’s robbed Terry of his sight too, so he couldn’t actually read what he’d written/dictated, it had to be read back to him. Not being able to see things on the page is a huge detriment to a writer.

It took it in a really weird way, as well. Parts of his visual field would be missing, parts would be jumbled, parts would be normal, but which parts were which would change constantly. So he wasn't exactly blind, but he couldn't read because half the words in paragraph 3 would be showing up in paragraph 1 and whatever sentence he was looking at could disappear without warning. It must have been like wearing kaleidoscope glasses.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I've said it before, but when Raising Steam was announced, I was hoping for the London underground, but in Ankh-Morpork.

I read The Fifth Elephant as Christmas for the first time in years. The Colon plot in that is still golden. The Vimes saying along the lines of "Wrap that up in diplomacy and give it to them" is great.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Gambrinus posted:

I've said it before, but when Raising Steam was announced, I was hoping for the London underground, but in Ankh-Morpork.

Same - because isn't this exactly what is implied after Thud? The mine-sign resembles a London tube sign, the dwarfs have been tunnelling all under the city, they find a device that endlessly rotates with infinite torque to power all of it?

And then all of a sudden it becomes a very literal history of the first railways just transplanted into Ankh Morpork and the surrounding countryside.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I remember when the next Moist book was going to be "Running Water". And when it was going to be "Raising Taxes".

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

As a longtime Discworld lover was there ever an explanation for why characters would occasionally Talk All Folksy Like either to hammer in the message of "people are dumb and full or prejudice" or, conversely, to deliver the moral of the story to the more intellectual characters?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The problems with Raising Steam are getting worse as the book goes - unnecessary scenes that are just flat. I'm quite amazed in fact at how rough it's getting

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

bewilderment posted:

As a longtime Discworld lover was there ever an explanation for why characters would occasionally Talk All Folksy Like either to hammer in the message of "people are dumb and full or prejudice" or, conversely, to deliver the moral of the story to the more intellectual characters?

Do you have any examples?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jables88 posted:

Same - because isn't this exactly what is implied after Thud? The mine-sign resembles a London tube sign,

Oh, ffs

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

CommonShore posted:

The problems with Raising Steam are getting worse as the book goes - unnecessary scenes that are just flat. I'm quite amazed in fact at how rough it's getting

I've only read Raising Steam once. What was really jarring is the complete 180 the Patrician seemed to do, going from the sly manipulator to the barking tyrant.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skios posted:

I've only read Raising Steam once. What was really jarring is the complete 180 the Patrician seemed to do, going from the sly manipulator to the barking tyrant.

Right? I had a commute with my RL friend who reads Discworld and we were discussing this exactly. It's as if the first draft is Vettinari hitting the key points and the outcomes necessary for the plot, and then the sly manipulation gets cajoled in through the revisions, but those revisions never happened.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Skios posted:

I read that as misdirection. After all, he not only pulls off the massive misdirection that solves the plot, he manages to go undercover so he can play with his train for a while. By looking like he’s done a 180 he completely fools the people who expect him to act exactly like that.

What’s missing are the scenes that show us what Vetinari is up to. Well, and the book itself is either unsubtle or frustratingly elusive.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

If you want a twofer on ‘oh gods’, and one I got today from Disc Coverers;

“Feet of Clay” posted:

“Fred Colon had reached the convivial-drunk stage. He turned to the man beside him. “’S good here, isn’t it,” he managed.

“What’m I gonna tell me wife, that’s what I want to know…” moaned the man.

“Dunno. Say you’ve bin bin bin working late,” said Colon. “An’ suck a peppermint before you goes home, that usually works—”

“Working late? Hah! I’ve bin given the sack! Me! A craftsman! Fifteen years at Spadger and Williams, right, and then they go bust ’cos of Carry undercutting ’em and I get a job at Carry’s and, bang, I’m out of a job there, too! ‘Surplus to requirements!’ Bloody golems! Forcing real people out of a job! What they wanna work for? They got no mouth to feed, hah. But the drat’ thing goes at it so fast you can’t see its bloody arms movin’!”

“Shame.”

“Smash ’em up, that’s what I say. I mean, we had a golem at S an’ W’s but ole Zhlob just used to plod along, y’know, not buzz away like a blue-arsed fly. You wanna watch it, mate, they’ll have your job next.”

“Stoneface wouldn’t stand f’r it,” said Colon, undulating gently.

“Any chance of a job with you lot, then?”

“Dunno,” said Colon. The man seemed to have become two men. “What’s it you do?”

“I’m a Wick-Dipper and End-Teaser, mate,” they said.

“I can see that’s a useful trade.”

Page 192 on my digital copy, but early enough into the book that ‘become two men’ and ‘end-teaser in a candle factory’ are phenomenally groan inducing foreshadowing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ok I'm finished with Raising Steam

General thoughts
It has the overall structure and vibe of a discworld book. I'm glad that I was given the warning that it was not so good and the notes about how it was written with extreme involvement from the editor to create a coherent whole because it allowed me to forgive its weaknesses and appreciate it for what it is, rather than what it isn't. I'm pretty convinced by the discussion here and from what I read that it was essentially an unfinished novel, but that Terry's writing style was one of refinement and so instead of a book with gaps, an unfinished discworld novel is more of a flatter notebook sketch. It's not the worst experience if you go into it expecting to read that.

More specific thoughts

Certain scenes in particular popped out to me as placeholder/draft points.

The scenes where the train gets attacked and dwarves are getting killed like extras in a bad Kung Fu movie were the least "discworld" moments of the whole. They needed heavy rethinking. The only places I can remember where mass carny death happens like that are comedy spots with The Silver Horde.

The picaresque journey of the train to Uberwald was disjointed but worked scene by scene. I would have expected that a greater connected theme would have been written into them. Something that was being suggested but which the book never developed was Iron Girder's evolution, and I was expecting that was going to play into the problem of water and coal supplies, but it didn't happen.

Likewise, the golems at the climax came out of nowhere. I don't remember those super golems from the end of Making Money being mentioned anywhere in the text before they Save The Day and get explained after the fact. That also seemed to me like something that would have been either written into the previous plot somehow, or resolved differently. The Goblin subway, with the goblins's compulsive tinkering seemed like a dangling, frayed thread that was pointing in that direction, either from an earlier draft, or something that was being developed to fill in or interact with the golems somehow.

It could simply be that all of these moments were part of an effort to get every single Discworld thing into the book at one point or another.

So there's that. I'm starting The Shepherd's Crown tonight, and probably Nation right after, then I'm going to cool it on Sir Terry for a while.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Shepherd's Crown is genuinely great. The Witches series is my favorite set of Discworld books, but those are all just prequels to the Tiffany Aching series in my opinion.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wintersmith is still one of my favourite Discworld books.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

SirSamVimes posted:

Wintersmith is still one of my favourite Discworld books.

And yet you’re not named TiffanyAching. Curious

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"one of"

edit: My favourite book in the series is Thief of Time so the inconsistency is still there. :v: The City Watch are my favourite character set though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've been enjoying the Tiffany Aching books thoroughly yeah.

I'm now uhhh 3 or 4 chapters into the shepherd's crown and... drat we have some stuff going on hah

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I’ve read The Shepherd’s Crown once right after it was published, a couple of months after Sir Terry passed, and I tried like a baby through most of it. I’m trying to add it back into my regular rotation when I reread the Tiffany Aching series but I’m going to need like a good week of time during it where I can just bust into tears without people seeing me.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hot take, only the start of Shepherd's Crown is good, the rest is mediocre at best.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I thought the Raising Steam Deus ex machina was heavily and obviously foreshadowed, so chalk that one up to different readers, I guess.

Nation is fantastic. Shepherd’s Crown is like going back to your childhood amusement park thirty years later. There’s still some magic, but a pall of tragedy and age hangs over the whole experience.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Hot take, only the start of Shepherd's Crown is good, the rest is mediocre at best.

Hotter take, I didn’t care for the Tiffany Aching books at all and wish he’d “finished” the Ankh Morpork storyline instead, if I’d been able to choose. Don’t think I’ve re-read any of them, which is not the case for any other of his books.

I got both volumes of the Ankh Morpork Archives for Christmas, which collect all the stuff out of various Discworld diaries over the years. They’re really good, and might fill a gap for anyone looking for Pratchett they’ve not read before.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I liked most Tiffany Aching books and would rather Shepherd's Crown outright didn't exist. It would have been better as a sketch idea for the reader to imagine on their own.

Nation is a good ending to a Pratchett readthrough though.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
It took me a few years to read Shepherd's Crown because I wanted one last Discworld book to look forward to. I wound up rereading the entire series first leading into it, it felt like a very fitting capstone and also it made me cry.

My favourite standalone book is Night Watch but the Tiffiny Aching books are absolutely my favourite "series", I even got a tattoo of the hare leaping through fire from I Shall Wear Midnight.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I've not read the Shepard's Crown and I probably never will, Raising Steam and Snuff were depressing enough.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I think my favourite standalone is Hogfather, but Granny is my favourite character and I think that Lords and Ladies, in context, is my top one still

yaffle posted:

I've not read the Shepard's Crown and I probably never will, Raising Steam and Snuff were depressing enough.

well I'll continue to live post about it as I read! If I have complaints I'll be forthright about them so maybe I can productively influence your ultimate decision.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's me, in the person who cares about Agnes Nitt.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

YggiDee posted:

I like Agnes too! Carpe Jugulum was one of the first ones I read, and my single most quoted or paraphrased Pratchett line is from Masquerade (~"money is what you put in and opera is what you get out"~, reused often for things other than opera)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

YggiDee posted:

Me too! I would have liked to see more of her journey of self acceptance. She just kinda got tossed aside in favour of Tiffany in terms of witch stories.