Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Just saw that cover on Transformers The Basics. Some Pat Lee art in there helped Dreamwave get the Transformers license.

LoL, same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

Just saw that cover on Transformers The Basics. Some Pat Lee art in there helped Dreamwave get the Transformers license.

What an epic saga. I believe Pat still hasn't paid Simon Furman and other folks.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Wikipedia has Hal Jordan on its list of Jewish superheroes. Have I missed something rather major or did somebody sneak in a bit of vandalism? That dude has always read as WASP as imaginable to me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

CapnAndy posted:

Wikipedia has Hal Jordan on its list of Jewish superheroes. Have I missed something rather major or did somebody sneak in a bit of vandalism? That dude has always read as WASP as imaginable to me.

He was raised Catholic but his mom was Jewish, which does make him Jewish until their rules

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Is there a "Help me remember this comic from when I was 10" thread going?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Pneub posted:

Is there a "Help me remember this comic from when I was 10" thread going?

pretty sure that's this thread here, ask away

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
It was an indie comic (I think) from the early 90s about a blonde boy genius. The story was about him inventing a time machine. As soon as he first sends a bolt through it as a test, a cyborg soldier shows up from the future to kill him before he can perfect the machine because something something temporal war, end of the world, ect. The story ends with (spoiler tag, gently caress it) boy genius deciding to not finish the machine during their fight, which causes the cyborg to fade from existence since the future has changed.
The cover has genius kid grappling with the cyborg while wearing an exo-skeleton that Dexter's Lab totally ripped off (https://youtube.com/watch?v=V6OOP_MZN3o&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE&t=2m5s), and in the close foreground is the bolt he sent through time. I basically remember every detail except the loving title and publisher.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Pneub posted:

It was an indie comic (I think) from the early 90s about a blonde boy genius. The story was about him inventing a time machine. As soon as he first sends a bolt through it as a test, a cyborg soldier shows up from the future to kill him before he can perfect the machine because something something temporal war, end of the world, ect. The story ends with (spoiler tag, gently caress it) boy genius deciding to not finish the machine during their fight, which causes the cyborg to fade from existence since the future has changed.
The cover has genius kid grappling with the cyborg while wearing an exo-skeleton that Dexter's Lab totally ripped off (https://youtube.com/watch?v=V6OOP_MZN3o&si=EnSIkaIECMiOmarE&t=2m5s), and in the close foreground is the bolt he sent through time. I basically remember every detail except the loving title and publisher.

Adventures of Barry Ween, boy genius?

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

SiKboy posted:

No, this was probably 1992 at the latest, and the art style was more realistic.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

SiKboy posted:

Man I loved Barry Ween

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Has DC or Marvel ever had a Saul Goodman-type character? It seems like the Arkham residents or sinister six would benefit from a criminal lawyer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

yes i know what you meant but it's too good not to post

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is way later than the 90s, but Jack B Quick in Tomorrow Stories is a blonde boy scientist adventurer.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Has DC or Marvel ever had a Saul Goodman-type character? It seems like the Arkham residents or sinister six would benefit from a criminal lawyer.

Not Marvel/DC, but there's St. John Latham (aka Loophole) from the Wild Cards books.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Is there a chronological list of the recent X-Men comics of as they came out? I'm trying to order mine, but constantly flipping to the back page and seeing only a dozen issues, mostly of titles I don't read, is super annoying.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Uthor posted:

Is there a chronological list of the recent X-Men comics of as they came out? I'm trying to order mine, but constantly flipping to the back page and seeing only a dozen issues, mostly of titles I don't read, is super annoying.

Wikipedia has lists for Dawn / Reign / Destiny, which probably have everything, I tried searching for lesser things like the Devil's Reign crossover and one-shots like Secret X-Men and they're all on there.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Go with that wikipedia list, because the back of the book is wrong. COVID and then later distribution issues makes the back of the book incredibly inaccurate for when poo poo actually came.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Go with that wikipedia list, because the back of the book is wrong. COVID and then later distribution issues makes the back of the book incredibly inaccurate for when poo poo actually came.

Oh, I would look at those after buying my books and see that my local shop "forgot" to get me a title. It would sometimes come out several weeks later. poo poo, those were still off a few months ago.

I was happy when they just removed the dates completely, but they're back now and the problem comes up from time to time.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
UPDATE: I knew I had a a crate of old comics in my closet, but I assumed most of them got thrown away 20+ years ago , so I didn't bother looking.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what's Com Soo.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Well I guess they tried.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Continuity was Neal Adams's company and they had some weird books. I don't think any of them were great, but they're kind of interesting in that 80s independent attempt to redo Marvel and DC kind of way.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Pneub posted:

Well I guess they tried.

We don’t read television? Wait until they hear about subtitles

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Is.. is having a huge left leg one of his powers? Look at that thing!

"Mom and Dad, please request that your child's local comic book retailer restock issues of LEFT LEG MAN immediately"

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Is there a book that’s really considered the first “modern” book? Like that leaves behind the narration boxes and lovely art from the 90s? Is it Ultimate Spider-Man?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Beerdeer posted:

Is there a book that’s really considered the first “modern” book? Like that leaves behind the narration boxes and lovely art from the 90s? Is it Ultimate Spider-Man?

Saying ultimate Spider-Man left behind narration boxes is hilarious (unless you are talking about omnipotent narrator).

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Beerdeer posted:

And Bagley was the artist for Amazing Spider-Man in the 90s

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What issue of What if is the one with Spider Man and Wolverine as a spy team

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What issue of What if is the one with Spider Man and Wolverine as a spy team

What If? Spider-Man Vs. Wolverine #1 - The Spider Who Went Into The Cold came out in 2008.

In case you're not familiar and your searches turn up confusing results, this is a What If? version of the classic Spider-Man vs. Wolverine story (that was the title).

Lobok fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 13, 2023

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Madkal posted:

Saying ultimate Spider-Man left behind narration boxes is hilarious (unless you are talking about omnipotent narrator).

I'm not familiar with Ultimate Spidey, but I did notice that when reading comics in the 80s the convention was:
- spoken dialogue: speech bubbles
- internal monologue: thought bubbles
- authorial narration: narration boxes

And when I got back into Marvel stuff ~5 years ago, the convention was:
- spoken dialogue: speech bubbles
- internal monologue (main character): narration boxes
- internal monologue (other characters): absent
- authorial narration: absent

and wondered when that change happened. I have mixed feelings about it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Editorial stopped being about having Big Bombastic Personalities with vision

see BSS post #82031 for more -- sizzlin' shooter

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

USM has some hold over stuff but Bendis definitely pushed decompressing comics

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I will say that one thing I notice marvel doesn't do anymore which I wish they would is everytime a different character appears on the page for the first time the narration says "this is so and so whose my best friend and their powers are such and such". It really feels like it you haven't been following certain runs for years and years you are poo poo out of luck with introductions for characters.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Jim Shooter about every issue being somebody’s first went out the window at some point post-2000. It was definitely alive in the 90s.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i dunno on one hand i definitely still have the problem of not knowing who half the people in any given xmen book are but that type of dialogue is always so stilted and lovely

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

I AM GRANDO posted:

The Jim Shooter about every issue being somebody’s first went out the window at some point post-2000. It was definitely alive in the 90s.
I thought a few Marvel books did the one-page summary thing but maybe it was just the Books for a hot minute?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Jim Shooter had an "every book is someone's first" ethos and hammered that into all of the editors and writers when he was EiC. He also left the company in April 1987.

About ten years later (Bob Harras was EiC by this point) Marvel books started doing a two page intro/recap printed inside the front cover as a foldout that looked like this:

Within a year or so those got converted into more ad space, but not long after Quesada took over in 2000 they started doing recap/credits/character list pages, which have more or less continued to exist for the past 20+ years.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

I thought a few Marvel books did the one-page summary thing but maybe it was just the Books for a hot minute?

Every Marvel book I've read in the last few years has a one page summary. It's nice, because it's been at least 30 days and who knows how many comics since I read the previous issue!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It would make sense to give characters who are showing up with the expectation of "you know who this is" with human name/mutant name/power outline and/or clever joke if they're real obscure. You probably don't have to do it for some people unless you're doing a team intro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nessus posted:

It would make sense to give characters who are showing up with the expectation of "you know who this is" with human name/mutant name/power outline and/or clever joke if they're real obscure. You probably don't have to do it for some people unless you're doing a team intro.

I feel like Ewing and Gillen do that a lot in team books.