Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I bring a charging brick and plug the pocket wifi into that for a bit when I'm out and about for a long time, then designate a charging station spot in the hotel where I always put all devices and camera gear when they're not being used so I don't scatter things around and lose track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's also easier if you have more than just a phone. But I am committed to trying this sim thing even though I now suspect it'll be worse.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah that’s my point, iMessage and WhatsApp are tied to your phone number

Don’t know/care about WhatsApp but you can tie your iMessage to an email address, because I’ve done it.

Also you can download map data for a chunk of area (like, say, Tokyo-Yokohama) to use offline in Google Maps. Did this for Singapore and London before, it was very useful.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Wi-Fi eggs are only good for kids and lots of devices like multiple ipad/Nintendo switch, etc in the car or restaurant.

They are less common now year after year because unlocked phones are becoming the norm and SIM cards have become cheaper than before.

2 adults traveling together with 2 Wi-Fi eggs each is the dumbest travel take I have heard in the last few months. At least paying for a ramen tour is more unique.

iMessages and whatsapp can be kept on the same number even when you swap cards you country bumpkins.

I posted in the Korea thread, but avoid dealing with data in the airport, it’s like boomers using foreign exchange at the airport. It’s over priced and slow and you have to wait in line with everyone else, and you have to submit your passports and fill dumb forms.

Get Mobal, k look or even buy travel cards ahead in Amazon. Swap your card when you land and don’t be a data hobo.

If you ever run out and don’t want to deal with stupid data caps just go to yodobashi camera or whatever and buy some prepaid 5G card for 3400 yen. Or more or whatever.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
My flight departs 10:10 HND

I woke up at 7, showered and did last minute room check, walked 5 minutes into higashi ginza station on the asakusa line.

Airport train at 7:39 limited express. The keikyu line is that easy and have express trains to airport in the morning every 10 minutes. Oh and apparently it’s 438 yen instead of 600 jr monorail. I don’t need to transfer or anything, the only minor convenience is waiting for a morning seat during the commute.

Airport mono rail really blows, if you want to ride a dumb mono rail, take one to toyosu for team planets. Not to the airport.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
If it wasn’t for this morning flight, I totally would have sent my suitcase to the airport for less than a thousand yen.

I also could have taken a later train and arrive at 845 am to throw bags in and then go through customs but I’m not traveling alone. HND is also pretty good for souvenir shopping

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wonton posted:

Wi-Fi eggs are only good for kids and lots of devices like multiple ipad/Nintendo switch, etc in the car or restaurant.

They are less common now year after year because unlocked phones are becoming the norm and SIM cards have become cheaper than before.

If you ever run out and don’t want to deal with stupid data caps just go to yodobashi camera or whatever and buy some prepaid 5G card for 3400 yen. Or more or whatever.

I’ve gone from Japan overseas and used a pocket Wi-Fi for myself and the missus, and it was partially because that’s what she knew and trusted as a Japanese traveler. The other issue I can see for double-SIM’ing is that if you’re on one of the big three for your phone, it’s still the same as the US and you’re locked in.

I’m also not sure how burner SIMs work here, but the more advertised ones from Bic/Yodobashi are meant for locals and don’t match what you’re suggesting. That option might also be available, but this still isn’t Europe that way.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Wonton posted:

If it wasn’t for this morning flight, I totally would have sent my suitcase to the airport for less than a thousand yen.

I also could have taken a later train and arrive at 845 am to throw bags in and then go through customs but I’m not traveling alone. HND is also pretty good for souvenir shopping
Thanks for the updates.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah that’s my point, iMessage and WhatsApp are tied to your phone number and will do dumb poo poo like just send any incoming messages off into the ether instead if you change your SIM card because even though they work over wifi they’re tied to your phone number.

With pocket wifi you don’t change your phone number so they just work normally over the wifi still and you don’t even have to think about it.

can be tied to your phone number

i popped out my sim and just used the bmobile esim and imessage freaked out for a day but finally got the hint to just use my apple account

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

harperdc posted:

I’m also not sure how burner SIMs work here, but the more advertised ones from Bic/Yodobashi are meant for locals and don’t match what you’re suggesting. That option might also be available, but this still isn’t Europe that way.
They're totally meant for foreign tourists in Japan. Some say "Visitor Sim" while others are targeted at English speakers.

https://www.yodobashi.com/product/100000001005158400/
https://www.yodobashi.com/product/100000001005868575/

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just gonna reiterate: i did the pocket wifi thing on my first couple trips to japan because the thread said so. I then decided to just get a sim card and won't go back. If your phone is still locked then you don't have much choice.

Pretty much any current phone can also be used as a portable hot spot. So that is that covered.

The reason I stopped doing pocket wifi was a trip where me and a friend shared one and it sucked and/or was complicated if we wanted to go different directions. I know there is wifi everywhere but having one of us offline for a while was a potential disaster.

Always do what you feel is best for you. If you are in a situation where a sim card is not an option, then do a pocket wifi. If it is an option it is going to make things much easier.

With that said, we are trying to go in March. Oddly, ticket prices have not dropped a single time. Usually, they have a normal price that goes up and down. They have a normal price this time but have only gone up and then back to normal. I have never seen the prices refuse to drop. I'm not sure if this is due to high demand or low supply or just it is still relatively far away.

But so far prices are looking like they are significantly higher now.

However, when I went in October, prices were around 1400 and then I was able to get mine for 1000 about a week out. So I'm hoping this is just early. It's still 2.5 months away so should be prime time for ticket buying.

Anyway, just a heads up.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

It was dead easy to get an app and an eSim on my phone, I got 50 GB for my 2 weeks, we’ll see if I’m way overestimating my need but I can use it to hotspot to my tablet/laptop/Switch too.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Only weak babies take their phones overseas anyway.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
WhatsApp works perfectly fine even when switching sims. Wifi hotspot is nice if you have to work remotely or plan on using your laptop a lot where you don't expect to have proper internet but besides that, get a sim.

I've done WiFi hotspot for group trips, and I've also done both data only and data + JPN number SIM for multi week / month trips and going with the SIM is 99% the better option. I don't use iMessage though.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 6, 2023

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Thinking of taking some time off and traveling during golden week. Does anyone have a favorite city or prefecture w/interesting outdoor activities that might be less crowded than, like, Okinawa or Niseko?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Steely Glint posted:

Thinking of taking some time off and traveling during golden week. Does anyone have a favorite city or prefecture w/interesting outdoor activities that might be less crowded than, like, Okinawa or Niseko?

Why would you travel during golden week?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Even Shikoku gets busy during golden week, the number of hotels is correlated to anticipated visitor population, no where is empty that actually has capacity to host tourists.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Mister Chief posted:

Why would you travel during golden week?

Because i'd feel weird spending the longest vacation period of the year just bumming around town

peanut posted:

Even Shikoku gets busy during golden week, the number of hotels is correlated to anticipated visitor population, no where is empty that actually has capacity to host tourists.

Makes sense, thanks!

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Grab a car and head to some national park and go camping with friends

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wonton posted:

Grab a car and head to some national park and go camping with friends

Camp sites at national parks aren’t much of a thing here to my knowledge, though camping has been a bit of a boom. It’s mostly glamping/camp site/cabin stuff too.

Golden Week in Tokyo is nice because there’s about 40% fewer people thanks to so many people traveling outside the city/country :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

harperdc posted:

Golden Week in Tokyo is nice because there’s about 40% fewer people thanks to so many people traveling outside the city/country :v:

I was going to say, I enjoy doing reverse travel. During Korea's week of Everyone is on Vacation was my favorite time to go to Seoul.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
So my cousin redeemed tickets

Jan 11-22.

Him and his wife plan to go to hakuba for skiing. I did google online that driving from Tokyo costs 8k in tolls and you need to rent a vehicle with snow tires.

Apparently there’s a direct morning train 8am from shinjuku which takes you straight to hakuba in 3.5 hours at 7.5k per person including seat reservation.

I kind of want to join them for 4 days and use a 5day JR east train pass.

The train pass costs 18k and I would also have the additional option of going to nagano by hokuriku shinkansen (8k one way) and switching to regional 1 hour bus (2.5k)

I think the train pass would save me money if I fly in and out of NRT within 5 days - I suppose if I stop by Sendai or nikko i would be in the positive?

Anyone tried skiing in hakuba? My cousin has been but I haven’t, I heard good things about that place tho

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

I was sold when I saw they'll mail it to me in the US. Sitting right here ready to go.

I would have tried that if I had more time than two weeks between the borders opening back up and my flight leaving, but I didn't want to risk it arriving late :D

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if just everything is totally booked, but I can't find a single Chicago or D.C. to Tokyo ANA flight from late August through September that has business or first-class tickets available for award bookings. gently caress, I'm looking eight months away, goddammit

surf rock fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 8, 2023

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Don't go to Japan in August.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Wonton posted:

So my cousin redeemed tickets

Jan 11-22.

Him and his wife plan to go to hakuba for skiing. I did google online that driving from Tokyo costs 8k in tolls and you need to rent a vehicle with snow tires.

Apparently there’s a direct morning train 8am from shinjuku which takes you straight to hakuba in 3.5 hours at 7.5k per person including seat reservation.

I kind of want to join them for 4 days and use a 5day JR east train pass.

The train pass costs 18k and I would also have the additional option of going to nagano by hokuriku shinkansen (8k one way) and switching to regional 1 hour bus (2.5k)

I think the train pass would save me money if I fly in and out of NRT within 5 days - I suppose if I stop by Sendai or nikko i would be in the positive?

Anyone tried skiing in hakuba? My cousin has been but I haven’t, I heard good things about that place tho

Hakuba is basically the new Niseko in terms of town atmosphere. Given how many gaijins go there, it's probably not the right place if you're looking for a super authentic Japan ski experience. But those gaijin have brought money with them--skiing isn't cheap--so it's one of the few ski villages that doesn't feel like a shadow of its bubble-era heyday.

There is a direct train from Shinjuku; it puts you there at like 11:30AM. If you want to get some runs in the same morning you arrive, your only option is taking one of the earliest shinkansen departures (think 6AM from JR Tokyo) and taking that bus. The bus won't be covered by the JR East pass.

Flying in/out of Narita plus getting to/from Hakuba then adding some side excursion to Sendai or Nikko in five days sounds a bit exhausting to me. There's no direct connection from Nagano to Nikko (need to backtrack through Omiya) or Sendai (backtrack through Tokyo) so you'd probably have to spend half a day in trains to get to either.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Sorry guys, another jr pass question as I'm kinda stupid. We're doing tokyo>kanazawa>osaka>fukuoka(>maybe nagasaki) back to Tokyo so we've determined it's worthwhile to get the 14 day pass. My question is really about booking tickets on the shinks- seems like only some can be booked online and you've got to go to the office to pick it up anyway, correct? Would it be possible to just go to the office first day and book all tickets for the entire trip or do you need to book at the respective stations? If so, I'm guessing it will be easiest to just book the next leg as we arrive at the station? Thanks guys

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Also

Mister Chief posted:

Don't live in Japan in August.

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

field balm posted:

Sorry guys, another jr pass question as I'm kinda stupid. We're doing tokyo>kanazawa>osaka>fukuoka(>maybe nagasaki) back to Tokyo so we've determined it's worthwhile to get the 14 day pass. My question is really about booking tickets on the shinks- seems like only some can be booked online and you've got to go to the office to pick it up anyway, correct? Would it be possible to just go to the office first day and book all tickets for the entire trip or do you need to book at the respective stations? If so, I'm guessing it will be easiest to just book the next leg as we arrive at the station? Thanks guys

Just get them at the station whenever you are about to get on one. You can use the pass to ride the allocated seats cars, and those always have space unless it's golden week or something.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

BB2K posted:

Just get them at the station whenever you are about to get on one. You can use the pass to ride the allocated seats cars, and those always have space unless it's golden week or something.

Honestly the reason im paranoid about it is because last time we (unknowingly) planned hiroshima to sapporo for the middle of golden week and didn't know about booking tickets. We stood in the toilet carriage the entire trip lol

field balm fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 8, 2023

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

Hokkaido and tohku are great breezy places to escape the heat

August 15 is also neputa and nebuta festival in Aomori and hirosaki

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

field balm posted:

Yes you can reserve the the tickets for different legs of your trip from the ticket office at your first location. Generally when I've had relatives visit with a rail pass we'll book the long train rides in advance to ensure a seat, but not the rides that are like an hour or less so we can be more flexible with the schedule.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

teddust posted:

Yes you can reserve the the tickets for different legs of your trip from the ticket office at your first location. Generally when I've had relatives visit with a rail pass we'll book the long train rides in advance to ensure a seat, but not the rides that are like an hour or less so we can be more flexible with the schedule.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping to hear!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Mister Chief posted:

Are September and October good months to visit? I'm guessing August is a heat/humidity issue?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

swampass

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

surf rock posted:

Are September and October good months to visit? I'm guessing August is a heat/humidity issue?

Early September is still quite hot and humid, but aside from the chance of a typhoon coming late September and October weather is wonderful.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

surf rock posted:

August is a heatstroke issue lol

Until mid-September is still pretty hot and typhoon prone. End of September and October are pretty nice and still warm.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

field balm posted:

Sorry guys, another jr pass question as I'm kinda stupid. We're doing tokyo>kanazawa>osaka>fukuoka(>maybe nagasaki) back to Tokyo so we've determined it's worthwhile to get the 14 day pass.

How many days will you be in japan? If it’s less than 21 days then just get the 7 day pass.

Front load your Tokyo stays, go straight to Fukuoka on a nozomi (just act dumb). The whole train ride will take you like 5 hours on the first day.

Day 1 go to Fukuoka, spend evening in yatai and stuff
Day 2 stay in Fukuoka
Day 3 go to Nagasaki
Day 4 Osaka
Day 5 Osaka
Day 6 Kanazawa
Day 7 evening return to Tokyo

So yeah this trip might be cutting it a little too close, 14 days to slowly get around is nice

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Wonton posted:

How many days will you be in japan? If it’s less than 21 days then just get the 7 day pass.

Front load your Tokyo stays, go straight to Fukuoka on a nozomi (just act dumb). The whole train ride will take you like 5 hours on the first day.

Day 1 go to Fukuoka, spend evening in yatai and stuff
Day 2 stay in Fukuoka
Day 3 go to Nagasaki
Day 4 Osaka
Day 5 Osaka
Day 6 Kanazawa
Day 7 evening return to Tokyo

So yeah this trip might be cutting it a little too close, 14 days to slowly get around is nice

We're staying 20 nights, so far we're planning 1 night narita, 3 nights kanazawa, 3 nights osaka, 4 nights fukuoka, [2 night wildcard that was gonna be onsen stuff but both places we were interested in are booked out] then a week in tokyo. We really like to eat, drink and hangout so no point in rushing it. Never been to Kanazawa or Fukuoka before, we might be there too long but there's always another cool bar or some shopping to be done.

Anyone got random suggestions for 2 nights? We were thinking hakone but it ends up too expensive considering the missus only really wants to see the open air museum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Sounds like a fun trip!

Toyama is actually the next place I want to go. Kurobe gorge hiking sounds fun, being the deepest gorge of Japan.

From Osaka I think you can take the thunderbird express train to Kanazawa in 2.5 hours. And then take the hokuriku back to Tokyo.

Places I recommend?

Miyazaki/ Ise / wakayama / and izumo. You can take the sunrise express train back to Osaka or even Tokyo.

Travel light, send bags to different hotels, only wash your clothes every 3 days, and send souvenirs /booze back to Tokyo.

As for souvenirs in Kyushuu, get shokoen castellated, the other brands don’t taste as good and can be bought in Tokyo.

Kira honten in saga serves a really kickass dinner for 7-9k per person. While you will pay triple that in Tokyo