Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

through the magic of copying and pasting you can have substeps right now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

messed around with some fractals today,. sinh julia fractal is fun

https://i.imgur.com/Bcs7xtV.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

tis the season

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i'm pretty sure it is not possible to render a camera in the scene as a texture on... a display screen texture for example. but i guess simulation nodes with their inter-frame dependencies could enabole adding that feature

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Wheany posted:

i'm pretty sure it is not possible to render a camera in the scene as a texture on... a display screen texture for example. but i guess simulation nodes with their inter-frame dependencies could enabole adding that feature

There is a script that allows you to do it, but it only works in the viewport or Eevee render, and supposedly doesn't work well with denoising:
https://blenderartists.org/t/live-scene-capture-to-texture/1380153/8

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Final update for 2022! Working on bettering my camera angles. Still a long way to go before I'm anywhere near competent but I've taken a few notes and at the very least reduced the amount of cuts and excessive camera movement. Other than that, it's time for some car-fu by making things a little more frantic. The polish pass is almost complete and then it's time for a go-around with the camera angles and facial/hand animations, then onto beautifying the scene and adding particle effects (And replacing the old ones), then later foley work and maybe learning to compose stuff for the music. Honestly the audio stuff is what I dread the most since I have absolutely no audio background :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACoB97hvBz8

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Songbearer posted:

Final update for 2022! Working on bettering my camera angles. Still a long way to go before I'm anywhere near competent but I've taken a few notes and at the very least reduced the amount of cuts and excessive camera movement. Other than that, it's time for some car-fu by making things a little more frantic. The polish pass is almost complete and then it's time for a go-around with the camera angles and facial/hand animations, then onto beautifying the scene and adding particle effects (And replacing the old ones), then later foley work and maybe learning to compose stuff for the music. Honestly the audio stuff is what I dread the most since I have absolutely no audio background :shobon:

You've gone so much further with this project than anything I've even tried in blender that I don't know what to say.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

and this guy in the erindale discord used the simulation nodes to run an erosion sim on suzanne lol

finally

deez nodez

Songbearer posted:

. Honestly the audio stuff is what I dread the most since I have absolutely no audio background :shobon:

ask if someone in musician’s lounge may be up for a collab?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Do I need to turn on a specific option for Blender to use my GPU (RTX 2070) to speed up simulations, or does that come with selecting GPU Compute in Cycles? Or--does Blender not know how to do this at all?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i think all the simulations run on the cpu. the gpu is only used for rendering

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
don't know about simulations, but it took me several days of slow renders after getting a CUDA compatible GPU to realise you need to select the processor in Preferences > System > Cycles Render Devices

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

big scary monsters posted:

don't know about simulations, but it took me several days of slow renders after getting a CUDA compatible GPU to realise you need to select the processor in Preferences > System > Cycles Render Devices

it took someone itt who will not be named like a year to figure that out lol

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

It took me just a little longer.

Just a little. :smith:

I had been messing with Blender seriously for like, 3 years at that point.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I knew to select GPU Compute but it also took me a few months to realize that I had to do that

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

someone should update the op…

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if only someone knew how

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

:smugmrgw:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

you should specify in the OP what that means because until like two weeks ago, as far as i knew, selecting GPU Compute in Render Properties was already turning it on, but no, there's the whole preferences->settings thing you gotta do

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i love blender but that particular quirk really feels like a remnant of the bad old days of open sores software

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i love blender but that particular quirk really feels like a remnant of the bad old days of open sores software

yeah there’s this vague hint of vibe amongst all software like this that it’s the users fault alone if they didn’t do this or that, basically deciding that good UX decisions are a waste of dev resources

An cruiscin lan
Mar 4, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGzsGBgyghM
Fuckin thrill is gone

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Argue posted:

Do I need to turn on a specific option for Blender to use my GPU (RTX 2070) to speed up simulations, or does that come with selecting GPU Compute in Cycles? Or--does Blender not know how to do this at all?

Sim is all CPU but if your 2070 has the option for Optix rendering use that for cycles - it’s amazingly performant and your 2070 should support it afaik.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
many years ago even my radeon 270 could be used to accelerate rendering but then they changed something for “consistency” or some bullshit and then it wasn’t till I had an nvidia 1080 that I had it again

so surely a 2xxx card will be able to

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah Blender supports several hardware options - on Nvidia cards you can use GPU Compute (CUDA), or Optix (RTX Cards only). The latter uses the RTX cores to accelerate raytracing via the dedicated RT hardware and is crazy fast compared to pretty much every other platform. Only impacts Cycles, but if that's what you're using it's the way to go.

e; apparently some of the fluid simulation routines in Blender *do* use CUDA and are being retooled for other APIS and cloth is also being looked at on Vulkan and Metal as well as CUDA but it's not in production at all yet. So - maybe someday on the sim side?

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 7, 2023

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cycles supremacy just fyi

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

echinopsis posted:

even on a Mac

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Blender on Metal has actually gotten really good tho. Not RTX good obv, but really decent compared to old OpenGL/Mac CUDA poo poo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i used blender on my wifes m1 mba and the viewport is smoother and faster than on my real computer with a real gpu. actual rendering was a lot slower but not unusable

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Yeah 3.x and up has been good. I'm on a M1 Max MBP, don;t do Blender for a paycheque and it works really well. If it was my paycheque I'd have a RTX machine, but i'm enjoying the improvements.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah Blender supports several hardware options - on Nvidia cards you can use GPU Compute (CUDA), or Optix (RTX Cards only). The latter uses the RTX cores to accelerate raytracing via the dedicated RT hardware and is crazy fast compared to pretty much every other platform. Only impacts Cycles, but if that's what you're using it's the way to go.
It's worth noting that you can enable Optix on non-RTX cards too. Obviously won't get you hardware raytracing, but it will get you the Optix denoiser.

Also apparently early last year they implemented a temporally stable Optix denoiser but did not add a UI button for it so it's hidden under the operator "Denoise animation"??

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
eevee is OK but , and sorry for going on about this, but unreal engine spoils you for what a real time renderer can do. EEVEE feels like a compromise in every way, idk why you’d use it unless you had a serious issue with patience

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

EVEE can be really good at stylized renders that don't need ''proper' lighting - think trad animations or anime or such with carefully baked lightmaps and great art direction etc. It's a good renderer and works well - way faster than cycles on any equivalent hardware. otherwise, yeah.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

but yeah if you have the hardware that UE5 can do realtime raytracing on EVEE is pretty much redundant and useless.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I switched from EVEE to Cycles X as soon as it was available and never looked back. Evee can render super fast but if you want to do anything with volumetrics and lighting without having to fudge things until they look passable you'll want to use Cycles.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
For me the reason to use Eevee is animations. I just don't have the hardware or time to raytrace them.

I guess I could look into UE but then it'd be a whole othe renderer and shader editor to learn.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
for animations does it even make a difference?

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Does what make a difference?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cycles vs eevee when it’s animations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

totally depends on the look and content of the animation. it can make a huge difference or none at all depending on the art direction, light sources, shaders, etc. for traditional flat lit/color ‘2D’ style animation with predetermined lighting no, cycles doesn’t add much.