Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my sense of direction is absolute complete loving dogshit the worst you could possibly imagine but i'm the first person to say please do not design yourselves on my account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

please give me a compass though

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Cowcaster posted:

my sense of direction is absolute complete loving dogshit the worst you could possibly imagine but i'm the first person to say please do not design yourselves on my account

My friend had a cat who was catastrophically stupid. If she was walking somewhere, you could pick her up, turn her the other way and set her down and she would just be completely lost. She would sit down and cry because she didn't know where the kitchen went.

Anyway that's what happens to me if I accidentally gently caress up the camera controls and have to reset them in a third-person game.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Valve once designed a simple puzzle that a playtester couldn't figure out for an hour and removed it from Half Life 2 because they were deeply worried about it.

"Playtester" doing a lot of heavy lifting, since my understanding (from talking to devs) is that playtesting is basically done at every build possible and a lot of it is usually tedious poo poo like running your character along every wall of an area so it actually functions like a wall.

My dad had a midlife crisis and quit his job at Raytheon to be a game tester at Infogrammes (which was/rebranded as Atari) and yeah, testing is working off checklists to just mindlessly make sure game elements function properly, not play the game for any real sense of enjoyment.

I did get access to that horribly ill-fated MMO "Horizons" through that though. :shobon:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
None of this would really be a problem if things like world size weren't treated as objectively good qualities. "I can go to that mountain over there!" isn't a good thing if getting there isn't any fun, and it's totally pointless if I can just warp to the top. Fast travel is dumb if your world is actually interesting and your game design doesn't force the player to slog back and forth over the same boring content, and creating a big world is silly if you can only manage to build enough content to fill a much smaller map.

But it doesn't matter because developers want to show off their massive maps filled with basically indistinguishable points of interest scattered around terrain that's mostly procedurally generated anyway.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Salvor_Hardin posted:

My dad had a midlife crisis and quit his job at Raytheon to be a game tester at Infogrammes (which was/rebranded as Atari) and yeah, testing is working off checklists to just mindlessly make sure game elements function properly, not play the game for any real sense of enjoyment.

I did get access to that horribly ill-fated MMO "Horizons" through that though. :shobon:

Really just a lateral move on dad's part

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The real burning question I have is what other games does Cuphead reporter play.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

The terrifying part is, that game still exists. They just renamed it "Istaria".

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I really liked Curse of the Golden Idol. I made myself a little sad by imagining that later scenarios might provide new context for the 'fluff details' in the earlier ones, and you'd have to go back and re-solve them with that new information

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Paradoxish posted:

None of this would really be a problem if things like world size weren't treated as objectively good qualities. "I can go to that mountain over there!" isn't a good thing if getting there isn't any fun, and it's totally pointless if I can just warp to the top. Fast travel is dumb if your world is actually interesting and your game design doesn't force the player to slog back and forth over the same boring content, and creating a big world is silly if you can only manage to build enough content to fill a much smaller map.

But it doesn't matter because developers want to show off their massive maps filled with basically indistinguishable points of interest scattered around terrain that's mostly procedurally generated anyway.

Clearly the solution is to give every open world game the movement physics of Tribes: Ascend

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

EricFate posted:

The terrifying part is, that game still exists. They just renamed it "Istaria".

I don't know jack poo poo about Istaria and/or Horizons, but I do know that it is the BEST crafting MMORPG and has playable Dragons!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Chubby Henparty posted:

I really liked Curse of the Golden Idol. I made myself a little sad by imagining that later scenarios might provide new context for the 'fluff details' in the earlier ones, and you'd have to go back and re-solve them with that new information

Loved the game, and I was right there with you and thought this would be the "gameplay twist" but yeah, turns out the game is exactly what it sells itself as -- you go through scenarios one by one solving the mysteries until you reach the end. That said, there is a bunch of stuff in earlier scenes that gets recontexualized as you've progressed through the game, and it's fun going back to them and seeing story elements in a new light.

I sort of got the feeling based on little bits and pieces that they originally planned for some grand puzzle that would involve going back to old cases but maybe they decided keeping the puzzles in each scene self-contained was the best move. If that's the case, I appreciate their restraint -- there wasn't really one scene or puzzle that I hated in the whole game, it all feels very consistently tight. Strong recommend for puzzle and detective story lovers and fans of Obra Dinn specifically.

edit: also was really impressed with the art, they pull off some very creepy and menacing stuff with the oldschool Sierra game graphics style

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'd heard the Golden Idol was comparable to Obra Dinn. Is that true? Cause it's an easy purchase if so.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it has similarities, but it's much shorter and easier.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

HopperUK posted:

My friend had a cat who was catastrophically stupid. If she was walking somewhere, you could pick her up, turn her the other way and set her down and she would just be completely lost. She would sit down and cry because she didn't know where the kitchen went.

Anyway that's what happens to me if I accidentally gently caress up the camera controls and have to reset them in a third-person game.

You should try out the first three King's Field games

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't know jack poo poo about Istaria and/or Horizons, but I do know that it is the BEST crafting MMORPG and has playable Dragons!

Yeah that was its sales pitch back then too.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kragger99 posted:

Good point. It'd be nice having a games-focused thread where it's not some loving idiot constantly making GBS threads on games/peoples opinions.

But I shouldn't complain. It's usually the pieces of poo poo that need to take it out on everyone else because they hate themselves already anyway.

100% of your posts in this thread are complaining about other people and 0% are about games.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bad Seafood posted:

I'd heard the Golden Idol was comparable to Obra Dinn. Is that true? Cause it's an easy purchase if so.

Not quite as good, but comparable yea.

It’s shorter and easier, but it’s the same deductive logic puzzles that you complete in Obra Dinn. If this is John, which we know because John has glasses and this guy has glasses, then that must be Jake, John’s older brother, which means Roger is the dead guy, etc.

It’s a more conventional narrative than Obra Dinn too, which I know some people prefer.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Is that the science-based dragon MMO, or is this some other dragon MMO

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Xander77 posted:

As a very basic example of a game actively disrespecting your time:

Atom RPG models "realistic" secret bases, forests and settlements that your characters take several minutes to cross at a dead run. Each area has dozens if not hundreds of containers. 90% of them are empty or full of useless junk. 30% are locked. If your character doesn't have the lockpicking skills, you can't open locked containers. If he does, you get to roll over and over until you finally succeed. Only to discover there's nothing hiding inside this locked chest... but there might be something in the next 10 or so.

Ugh, guess I'm never getting it then.

It's not just time wasting that's the problem there, it's also the game doing a lovely job of expectation setting.

It's like in a game that has purely randomized loot tables for trash chests so you find Adamantium Plate, a late game craft item, in the first kitchen cupboard of the first random hut you check. The game's just told you to check every container you come across. Games that clearly signpost random chests from the worthwhile ones have my gratitude because no FOMO busywork.

The Adamantium Plate example is from Witcher 3, my first run. The Ghost Mode mod replaced those chests with mundane stuff you could skip but guaranteed that end-dungeon boss chests would have good gear you could look forward to. A big improvement for such a huge game when you can enter a random hut and not bother with checking every cupboard.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Sab669 posted:

Is that the science-based dragon MMO, or is this some other dragon MMO

I dont think it had science. My biggest memory from it was hanging out in a mining zone with a few dozen other people waiting for ore nodes to spawn so we could race to start mining them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Xander77 posted:

Atom RPG models "realistic" secret bases, forests and settlements that your characters take several minutes to cross at a dead run. Each area has dozens if not hundreds of containers. 90% of them are empty or full of useless junk. 30% are locked. If your character doesn't have the lockpicking skills, you can't open locked containers. If he does, you get to roll over and over until you finally succeed. Only to discover there's nothing hiding inside this locked chest... but there might be something in the next 10 or so.

now i want to play it

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Xander77 posted:

Are they random or preset? I guess that makes a difference to me, if they're preset it sounds actively hostile, if they're random at least you get the thrill of the chase. Makes me think of Path of Exile where in endgame any sane person is using a loot filter to hide 95% of what drops from enemies, and even within that 5% you see it is extremely likely that a given random item is totally worthless, but also there's always a chance, just a tiny chance, that it's a perfectly rolled item that could make you fabulously wealthy beyond your wildest dreams. It never is, of course, but knowing that jackpot technically exists is a powerful motivator.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

goferchan posted:

Are they random or preset?
A mixture of the two, I think. Certain "trash" containers have random trash loot, but certain items are hand placed.

KNR
May 3, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Outside the random skill rolls, everything here also perfectly describes Encased. It replaced those with a completely meaningless [searching...] bar which takes a couple of seconds on some of those containers instead.

Indie Fallout clones really attract the devs most focused on blindly copying the worst parts of 90s design. Even the comparatively playable ones (Underrail, Age of Decadence?) have such a focus on fully preplanning your character before you even start the game that they make pathfinder seem brimming with open build decisions.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
i think its that those devs and the ppl theyre making their games for specifically want those things and dont like that they were removed in other games

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
I saw a lot of talk about it when it was released, but I've gotta gush about Tunic for a bit. I hadn't enjoyed a game that much in a long time. So much mystery that is okay to remain mystery, so many "a-ha" moments, and puzzles that make you feel like a genius when you figure them out. So much nostalgia. A comment I've seen about Obra Dinn a lot is "I wish I could play it for the first time again" and that applies to this very much. It's a small, short game, and I'm mostly done with it. There are just 5 secret treasures I haven't found, and am not likely to find, but I keep starting new games and looking for shortcuts and alternative paths one could take on subsequent playthroughs once they know the game well. I'd really like to play more games that engage certain parts of my brain like this, rather than just having me plow through it like a movie where I occasionally press buttons.

Anyway, if you've been on the fence about Tunic, here's another endorsement from some guy online.

I should probably get Obra Dinn some day.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

skeletronics posted:

I should probably get Obra Dinn some day.

get it today

rox
Sep 7, 2016

everything about obra dinn especially the sound design is top tier

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

If I could use a memory-deleting gun on any video games so I could play it brand new for the first time again, it would be Obra Dinn.

e: Second game I'd pick would be a tie between Dangan Ronpa 2 and the Hitman 2016 trilogy.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Is there some trick to making Tunic not feel just demoralizingly punishing without just turning on god mode or whatever? I got to a part where you have to get past some alligator things (along with some flying laser enemies that come out of the wall, for reference) which are easy enough to face by themselves, but there's one spot where multiple ones aggro simultaneously and it feels like it's not even possible to avoid death once that happens. I've probably made like 40 attempts over the course of a couple of weeks and not come close to doing it. I've beaten Sekiro without dying, but these motherfuckers are on another level. They run and attack too fast to run away (and seemingly chase you forever anyway, even if you could get away), they attack out of phase which each other so there's no opening for attacking, even blocking with the shield doesn't seem viable because I run out of stamina so quickly and half the time the angle isn't quite right so the block fails anyway. And I can only take like two or three hits from them before dying.

The game seems up my alley in theory but this is a brick wall and the level of punishing difficulty just seems totally at odds with the frankly undercooked combat system and ostensibly exploration oriented game design.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I could use a memory-deleting gun on any video games so I could play it brand new for the first time again, it would be Obra Dinn.

mine would be dota except i wouldn't play it again

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Volte posted:

Is there some trick to making Tunic not feel just demoralizingly punishing without just turning on god mode or whatever? I got to a part where you have to get past some alligator things (along with some flying laser enemies that come out of the wall, for reference) which are easy enough to face by themselves, but there's one spot where multiple ones aggro simultaneously and it feels like it's not even possible to avoid death once that happens. I've probably made like 40 attempts over the course of a couple of weeks and not come close to doing it. I've beaten Sekiro without dying, but these motherfuckers are on another level. They run and attack too fast to run away (and seemingly chase you forever anyway, even if you could get away), they attack out of phase which each other so there's no opening for attacking, even blocking with the shield doesn't seem viable because I run out of stamina so quickly and half the time the angle isn't quite right so the block fails anyway. And I can only take like two or three hits from them before dying.

The game seems up my alley in theory but this is a brick wall and the level of punishing difficulty just seems totally at odds with the frankly undercooked combat system and ostensibly exploration oriented game design.

I know that place, it's where I ended up turning on the god mode :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: Second game I'd pick would be a tie between Dangan Ronpa 2 and the Hitman 2016 trilogy.
Outer Wilds, no question. Tunic is a (very) distant second, not from low quality or anything but OW is just so far ahead of everything else in my mind

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Ciaphas posted:

Outer Wilds, no question. Tunic is a (very) distant second, not from low quality or anything but OW is just so far ahead of everything else in my mind

Outer Wilds for sure. Maybe probably Shadow of the Colossus

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Volte posted:

the crocs are such complete dicks. i bomb the fuckers every time until i have a certain late game upgrade; i think 2 firecrackers'll do the job

failing that all I can suggest is dodge rolling into and past them, take 1-2 swipes, repeat, try to get out to breathe at 1/2 stamina. good luck

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

StrixNebulosa posted:

this post has revealed that you have not played outer wilds

play outer wilds

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Stux posted:

100% of your posts in this thread are complaining about other people and 0% are about games.

That's because this thread is trash due to you and a couple others. I can't post about a game I like in fear of assholes like you jumping all over it. No idea how someone like you continues to stay on this site with a rap sheet like that. Makes me sad what this thread has become.

Pretty sure a mod will prob me for this post, but he/she's constantly enabling you anyway.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

StrixNebulosa posted:

For me I think it'd have to be Ghost Trick, but DR2 is a good choice. Few games have gotten me to exclaim aloud like that last trial did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

this post has revealed that you have not played outer wilds

play outer wilds
:emptyquote:

:justpost:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 8, 2023