Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
the trial move thing doesn't make a ton of sense to me. if i was his legal team i would not be so sure of moving out of the bay. lotta elon riders who probably aren't fully soured on him.

it's possible the jury will contain someone connected to twitter, yes, but you'd presumably try to weed those people out. far more likely in the Bay you'd get someone who owns a tesla and thinks it's nifty (or knows someone who does) and hasn't been paying much attention to twitter.

the Bay is so insanely loving full of teslas and the owners can't all have renounced musk just because of the (in the scheme of things) sparsely reported twitter drama with him being a chud.

it's hard to be like "drat i guess i got rooked by this dickhead on my 40,000 dollar purchase, i'm a mark, gently caress him". most people are going to stick with "i am a smart person who purchased a good product with my smarts" and stick with the slightly out of date perception of musk. lib or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

It's amazing people believed they were going to build a giant elevator (that leaves a big hole in the sidewalk) to lower the entire vehicle full of people down to a tunnel. Like that is the least possible efficient or practical solution to that problem.

But then I'm not a engineering genius or anything.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Murdstone posted:

It's amazing people believed they were going to build a giant elevator (that leaves a big hole in the sidewalk) to lower the entire vehicle full of people down to a tunnel. Like that is the least possible efficient or practical solution to that problem.

I tend to catch my local subway/lrt by jumping down a 100ft deep hole. What kind of backwards shithole you live in? Stairsville? Slopetown? lol

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I love that the Wikipedia entry for the tunnel clowns on it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The car elevator thing is also really funny because to get their estimated cars per hour you’d need like, four city blocks full of car elevators going up and down every thirty seconds 24/7 to feed a single on-ramp.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm kind of mad that in order to have a reasonable claim to domain knowledge in my own field I have to be an expert on infrastructural and strategic planning questions way above my pay grade, but apparently if you ask Elon what his vision for "scaling" is with regard to this tunnel there is no way in hell he'd have any coherent thing to say

"How does this use less energy or less machinery or less time to transport the number of people who currently travel this route?"
"What happens when there are 10x the number of Teslas in this little tube as there are now? 100x?"
"How do you build a whole network of tubes that cover the city with many stops? What happens when they intersect with each other? How does this improve on a subway?"

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Data Graham posted:

I'm kind of mad that in order to have a reasonable claim to domain knowledge in my own field I have to be an expert on infrastructural and strategic planning questions way above my pay grade, but apparently if you ask Elon what his vision for "scaling" is with regard to this tunnel there is no way in hell he'd have any coherent thing to say

"How does this use less energy or less machinery or less time to transport the number of people who currently travel this route?"
"What happens when there are 10x the number of Teslas in this little tube as there are now? 100x?"
"How do you build a whole network of tubes that cover the city with many stops? What happens when they intersect with each other? How does this improve on a subway?"

do you know how many miles thick the earth's crust is? imagine the throughput if we just stack enough tunnels vertically!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Data Graham posted:

When the only tool you have is a Tesla, everything looks like a child.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

What if instead of an elevator, you put in some stairs? That way you could walk down to where the car is and it could simply carry you away, that'd be a lot more efficient. And what if instead of a single car you connect several together so you can move a bunch of people at once

original idea do not steal

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What if people didn't want to have to clamber into a car seat for the three-minute ride? What if you made a bigger Tesla that you could fit like two dozen people into, some on benches, some standing? Hell, you could cram a couple hundred in there during rush hour!

oh but then you wouldn't be able to pick your music or video game for you and the two other strangers you get to ride with for three minutes

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

IshmaelZarkov posted:

I'm choosing to take this as evidence of a Behind the Bastards on Musk coming out soon. I have a birthday coming up, so here's hoping.

Robert did a whole thing on Musk about two years ago which was, in hindsight, not harsh enough. This was still in the "Real life Tony Stark" period, so even suggesting he was a shitbag then was something else.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

What if I just tweet

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Is that a threat?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

What if I just tweet

Don’t do it, it’s not worth it!

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Lazyfire posted:

Robert did a whole thing on Musk about two years ago which was, in hindsight, not harsh enough. This was still in the "Real life Tony Stark" period, so even suggesting he was a shitbag then was something else.

Him being a shitbag was not so surprising back then.

Him as a teenager walking around Manhattan trying to sell one of the emeralds from his Dad caught me off-guard.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Data Graham posted:

He clearly likes cyberpunk/technopunk fiction enough that he wants to emulate it with poo poo like huge underground spectacle tunnels, but he also has enough money and yes-men around him that even if the project never has a chance of going anywhere, he can convince people to invest and make a genuine start on it.

It's hosed up and kind of a great example of why no single person should ever have this much money.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
So they just changed the name of hyperloop from a high speed rail train to a loving Tesla bus station?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's great. It's like a taxi that costs a lot more than a taxi (I imagine) and only takes you to one place.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/JChengWSJ/status/1611943653961867264

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

anyone wanna bet like managers working out of tesla in china tried to explain cutting prices like this would get people mad in china but elon didn't want to hear any of it?

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Data Graham posted:

it was done in order to destroy the tiny new movement towards high speed rail. it succeeded, the bill went nowhere, and so the tunnel project thing was over. it "working" or being "scalable" is completely irrelevant.

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jan 8, 2023

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

L
O
L

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

So they just changed the name of hyperloop from a high speed rail train to a loving Tesla bus station?

Whoa whoa. Bus? What do you think this is? Some poo poo for poors?

No sir, this is an Tesla taxi stand. Not just some common bus.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/tweetsbyparker/status/1611786023645618176

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ReidRansom posted:

Whoa whoa. Bus? What do you think this is? Some poo poo for poors?

No sir, this is an Tesla taxi stand. Not just some common bus.

Wasn't the original idea supposed to be that the cars would be self driving as well?

Can't imagine how mind numbing and claustrophobic it is for the drivers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Unlucky7 posted:

Wasn't the original idea supposed to be that the cars would be self driving as well?

Can't imagine how mind numbing and claustrophobic it is for the drivers.

Don't forget the constant strobing lights in their faces from the tunnels all-day, every-day.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Murdstone posted:

Not just one elevator. Thousands of them!

I don't think even the deliberately dopiest sci-fi dystopia ever came up with "let's make our city's mass-transit system basically a road, but with lower vehicle capacity, building costs several orders of magnitude higher, complex and expensive infrastructure requirements and access points that work like Tracey Island from Thunderbirds."

All this just to eliminate the chance that you might accidentally come into close contact with a poor person.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

C'mon, all I'm missing for a Bingo is"vaccines"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Payndz posted:

Not just one elevator. Thousands of them!

I don't think even the deliberately dopiest sci-fi dystopia ever came up with "let's make our city's mass-transit system basically a road, but with lower vehicle capacity, building costs several orders of magnitude higher, complex and expensive infrastructure requirements and access points that work like Tracey Island from Thunderbirds."

All this just to eliminate the chance that you might accidentally come into close contact with a poor person.

The travel pods in Minority Report might count, maybe? Especially with the vertical roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vrxyr1CjiSM

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

A lot of Americans have simply never even seen a train, huh.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

YF-23 posted:

A lot of Americans have simply never even seen a train, huh.

They were hunted to extinction - what do you think the Wild West was about?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Will Smith rapping and Selma Hayek's giant rack?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Clearly the new public transportation should be giant spider robots

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Those "oh no the bridge is out" scenes claimed so many innocent locomotive lives.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdsTwZhfEdI&t=12s

Thank you Daddy Elon for developing *checks notes* Subways that will take forever to loving build instead of just trains/buses

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Jestery posted:

Jeopardy_fail_horn.flac

Jeopardy has a fail horn now? I thought they only had a timed-out sound

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

wasnt the boring company claiming they were gonna pass like 4000 cars per hour through their lovely elevator stations? I remember a vid of Justin from "well theres your problem" busting on it with his deadpan voice

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Lmao at Elon bringing back David Icke.

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
The Tesla loop has drivers 💀 it's literally a line of Ubers in a tube. It somehow manages to be worse than every other form of transport including walking and cycling.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Tarkus posted:

I tend to catch my local subway/lrt by jumping down a 100ft deep hole. What kind of backwards shithole you live in? Stairsville? Slopetown? lol

Rampston chuds here, embarrassing themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Castor Poe posted:

Lmao at Elon bringing back David Icke.

The guy sure does like unbanning Holocaust deniers