Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
At least she got France right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

some of these picks are so awesome

like what exactly did south africa and zimbabwe do to you nazi lady?

also singapore being in "good guys" is a real deep cut of insanity.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/I_Katchanovski/status/1611196287122116609

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Weka posted:

It's not like the Afghani quisling government was much better as regards to women outside of a few rich areas. The best way for the women of Afghanistan's lot to improve is peace and prosperity.

the central government could always try just expanding vocational education although this does run the risk of turning into a genocide

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

ItohRespectArmy posted:

some of these picks are so awesome

like what exactly did south africa and zimbabwe do to you nazi lady?

also singapore being in "good guys" is a real deep cut of insanity.

THEY MURDERED RHODESIA

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

this thread was better when you were allowed to be racist against europeans

you still can be. lithuanians are skeletons animated by the lifeforce of the jews they slaughtered.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Weka posted:

At least she got France right.

Italy too

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the world-famous ivy league guy is 10000% jeffrey sachs right

regardless, this kind of censorship is actually kind of shocking

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

euphronius posted:

people have agency . the fallacy is assuming the Ukrainian gov represents that agency

or any government

Clearly what Canada's FM wants is what every Canadian wants. To help Ukraine because of a blood relation

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Futanari Damacy posted:

Clearly what Canada's FM wants is what every Canadian wants. To help Ukraine because of a blood relation

It is a glory and honour to die for our kindred people. Deploying a battlegroup there and training Azov are more important than building new barracks, base schools and PMQs. I only wish we weren’t poisoned by hateful propaganda against the Waffen SS at the annual dinner to commentate those killed by 12th SS Pz HJ when we could be celebrating the heroiam of 14th SS.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

V. Illych L. posted:

why, after all you have seen her, is this shocking?

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
slava get brain!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

V. Illych L. posted:

publish or perish

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Dixon Chisholm posted:

why, after all you have seen her, is this shocking?

western academia has very strong taboos against this sort of thing - the way dissident academics usually get dealt with is just by keeping them separate from any kind of social movement. the message discipline around this present war has seen the erosion of many previously very strong principles, like the banning of foreign media and now outright political censorship of academic work

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lmao

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/idreesali114/status/1612114496515985409?s=20

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

this thread was better when you were allowed to be racist against europeans

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

"Ok we arent going to do everything you asked us to do but we are confident you are going to let us in anyways despite everything youve said"

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

V. Illych L. posted:

western academia has very strong taboos against this sort of thing - the way dissident academics usually get dealt with is just by keeping them separate from any kind of social movement. the message discipline around this present war has seen the erosion of many previously very strong principles, like the banning of foreign media and now outright political censorship of academic work

okay, you mean western academia in specific. im just a dumb construction worker and was thinking about narrative control in general.

seeing people sincerely argue that the soviets were actually worse than nazis has mentally prepared me for the insane censorship and outright lies we're seeing.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That said, academia in general is dying a slow death in the US specifically, between adjuncts living in food stamps and even tenure track positions not being livable, people are fleeing in general. More specifically, Eastern European/Soviet/Central studies collapsed on itself because it was “obsolete with the end of history.” Honestly, I am surprised the article was even considered and not rejected with the first pass, it probably had to be run by a higher up.

——-

The VKS was generally ridiculed for most of the early war as “completely useless” but the more information that has come to light it is starting perhaps looking like a more complex situation. One thing is that the Ukrainians have had multiple “air forces” come and go during the campaign and one of the big contributors to their losses has been the MIG 31 and the R 37 which seems to have worked as advertised as its long range (nearly 400km) and the high speed/ceiling of the MIG 31 which seems to dominate the MIG 31. More modern Western fighters would fair better but it is clear it is still a threat. (Also, the range of the R 37 would give air dominance over much of Ukraine).

Also, I have been watching a fair amount of interviews of foreign soldiers and they all seem to say the same thing that the Ukrainian side is often extremely poorly coordinated, even junior commanders often stay far away from the front lines, and Russian artillery is a constant threat. From footage, it looks like most recon missions seem like a chaotic mess with a higher chance for friendly fire and that the foreign volunteers are most often the tourists people thought. The separatists usually have poor morale but sightings of Russian regulars are fairly rare. (This is from multiple different accounts on different fronts during different periods.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Jan 8, 2023

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

the way they designed the chart makes it seem like greece is really ambivalent about defending itself

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It would also probably be a more useful poll question if it was less ambiguous about who is doing the attacking. If Turkey is under attack from Russia, probably different than if Turkey comes running in breathlessly that they need all of NATO to come stomp out the PKK.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I take back everything I said about Erdogan if he bends before the swedes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

anne rear end in a top hat

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You know what they say, better the genocide you know than the one you don't.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

coming soon to Amazon prime video

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1611704500972036096

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

"More unified than ever!!!"

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gently caress All of Y’all

speng31b
May 8, 2010

they have agency (central intelligence)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

the perfidious finns

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

coming soon to Amazon prime video

Slava Office Jim

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

speng31b posted:

they have agency (central intelligence)

have you considered the agency of the ukrainian people?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

they dont seem very united though

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if turkey and greece had a war who would win? i would assume nato would join up with greece of course

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

yessssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

have you considered the agency of the ukrainian people?

That one's called SBU.