Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kharmakazy posted:

A lot of the quests just irk me so.
I'm a mid level adventurer of some renown in universe, friends with multiple heads of state. Main quest? Yes, I need you to walk this egg 15 feet across this room and hand it to a possum. That possum has a friend who is a possum and he needs to to murder a dog so he can make booze. Stay safe warrior of light!

A thing you'll have to accept about the WoL as a character is they're pretty much up for doing whatev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kharmakazy posted:

I'm a mid level adventurer of some renown in universe, friends with multiple heads of state. Main quest? Yes, I need you to walk this egg 15 feet across this room and hand it to a possum. That possum has a friend who is a possum and he needs to to murder a dog so he can make booze. Stay safe warrior of light!

Yeah you're an adventurer. your job is to help out whoever however you can. You are the fuckin best at it. "Oh that old farmer needs someone to rake up some poo poo so he can plant some seeds when his back isn't hurting? Buddy I'm going to pick that poo poo up AND plant your crops."

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 8, 2023

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I imagine the WoL as someone who is just constantly outvoted by their adrenaline glands regardless of how smart they are. Is picking a fight with [X] a good idea? Of course not! It's still happening though.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kharmakazy posted:

This will eventually come up in the story. I strongly advise you do the Dark Knight quests when they're available to you; they're heavily involved with the question of "what does it mean to be the WoL and do what the WoL is asked to do?"

EDIT: Also, yeah, this is characterization for the WoL. I go with "extreme sense of duty to the universe, very sweet, very flighty" for mine.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
ffxiv also doesn't really imply that the WoL is particularly busy most of the time. you regularly get parts of the MSQ where characters are like "take five, I'll call you when something noteworthy happens" and even when you're on a more pointed quest it's usually not really a detour to ask if anyone needs you to pick up some eggs and milk on your way back from the killing primals store. if you weren't helping people you'd just be Vibing which is certainly nice but the WoL presumably likes to keep busy and definitely likes helping people.

there are definitely a few points in the story where it's weird timing wise but they aren't the majority.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

I haven't received a creepy /tell in a long time, but back when I used to get them a bunch it was, of all places, the Saint Coinach's Find in Mor Dhona. Every time.

Been getting a whole lot of compliments on my SCH glam recently though. Thanks Ameliance!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Countblanc posted:

ffxiv also doesn't really imply that the WoL is particularly busy most of the time. you regularly get parts of the MSQ where characters are like "take five, I'll call you when something noteworthy happens" and even when you're on a more pointed quest it's usually not really a detour to ask if anyone needs you to pick up some eggs and milk on your way back from the killing primals store. if you weren't helping people you'd just be Vibing which is certainly nice but the WoL presumably likes to keep busy and definitely likes helping people.

there are definitely a few points in the story where it's weird timing wise but they aren't the majority.

I like how there's several points where you show up and people are like "Hey, great to see you, we've got this well in hand, there's literally nothing we need you to do" and you keep talking to people until they find something for you to do.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
A lot of the "wait for us to research the thing" gaps are in the patch quests, I think, so there'd be a several month gap irl in-between.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

I haven't received a creepy /tell in a long time, but back when I used to get them a bunch it was, of all places, the Saint Coinach's Find in Mor Dhona. Every time.

Been getting a whole lot of compliments on my SCH glam recently though. Thanks Ameliance!

I went for more of a "too cool for school" style, but I think it's almost mandatory to play around in this space for the nerd jobs.

And yes, I'm keeping the skirt on my new body.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

On a side note, how long have you been able to just type emotes in /gpose instead of picking them from the UI? I found that completely by accident, tabbed back into the game and forgot I'd already pulled it up.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I mostly just don't like talking to A to get a quest, they send me to B, B sends me to C who tells me to make X, I make X but now I have to go back to A give x to them, but they immediately give it back and tell me to go back to B who sends me back to C who sends me back to A for the reward.

Like I get it, I just feel like they padded some of these out with an unnecessary amount of busy work.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Kharmakazy posted:

I mostly just don't like talking to A to get a quest, they send me to B, B sends me to C who tells me to make X, I make X but now I have to go back to A give x to them, but they immediately give it back and tell me to go back to B who sends me back to C who sends me back to A for the reward.

Like I get it, I just feel like they padded some of these out with an unnecessary amount of busy work.

Thatssss ARR bebbeh

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
To be fair, that's most of the MSQ, it's just that you're doing more interesting stuff for people and places you're more invested in, not for some Company of Heroes dickweed who thinks you can't kill a god despite having already done so.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Mainwaring posted:

Thatssss ARR bebbeh

that's the whole game tbh

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Kharmakazy posted:

Well I mean at that point, to most people, you're not a Warrior of Light. You're some dude that showed up doing errands, and hey they've got MORE errands!

Around that point the errands are a little bit dippy, true, but it's an MMO, what else are ya gonna do?

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
By the third hildebrand questline it is firmly established your character is only there because they find this poo poo hilarious and it was a change for a better.

Although the number of beast tribe dailies that are literally go to point A, then point B are still terrible. At least we haven't gone back to the depths of feeding an elephant 3 times, and you have to go back and forward between the food and the elephant each time.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

FeatherFloat posted:

Well I mean at that point, to most people, you're not a Warrior of Light. You're some dude that showed up doing errands, and hey they've got MORE errands!

Around that point the errands are a little bit dippy, true, but it's an MMO, what else are ya gonna do?

It's not the errands that I mind so much as the superfluous number of steps involved in each one. I've finished all the crafting tasks for 5 crafting classes (for now, they won't give me any past 50 yet) so it's not like I hate the mechanic entirely, I just would prefer they toned down the traveling between steps when it's not necessary.

Edit: I guess 2 land and 3 hand technically. I enjoyed botany and mining.

Cousin Todd fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 8, 2023

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Antivehicular posted:

This will eventually come up in the story. I strongly advise you do the Dark Knight quests when they're available to you; they're heavily involved with the question of "what does it mean to be the WoL and do what the WoL is asked to do?"

EDIT: Also, yeah, this is characterization for the WoL. I go with "extreme sense of duty to the universe, very sweet, very flighty" for mine.

I found out there's an auto translate addon and very soon I'll be doing either the French or German DRK questline that, like the Japanese, has 'contemplative, lonely wol' and not 'angry 'gently caress you' wol.

At least that's what I can gather from fan translations I've found, they were not...exhaustive. I know I'm in the minority but the eng version of that question line did not gel with my wol's inner voice at all.

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 8, 2023

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

A friend mentioned that if the WoL ate something off the ground, G'raha would as well before Estinien could even blink.

And we're both a little confused at the ramen on Y'shtola. I can recognize it as Shin Black, and I get a chuckle out of it, but the connection's too vague to elucidate.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

My new xaela fantasia:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

came together with some buds to clear criterion sil'dihn subterrane tonight

still kinda shaky on one of the rat's mechanics but the rest I feel like I could perform in savage

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Got BLM to 70.

Nice, but not really my style.

There we go. Finally I can use the Cyclas of Casting my FC-mate made like 12 levels back.

I love popping into a duty and the tank's in, like, a comfy sweater and moogle slippers, and I rock up in more armor than some Fending sets have.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I found out there's an auto translate addon and very soon I'll be doing either the French or German DRK questline that, like the Japanese, has 'contemplative, lonely wol' and not 'angry 'gently caress you' wol.

At least that's what I can gather from fan translations I've found, they were not...exhaustive. I know I'm in the minority but the eng version of that question line did not gel with my wol's inner voice at all.

You're not alone, I happen to think that the english translation is absolute rear end in multiple ways. Not only does it obscure and omit details, it also changes character voices in a way that works for the intro quest set but falls apart to pieces in 61-70 and also makes the rapport between the characters vicious and unfriendly when they're supposed to be true companions. I talked about this with a friend and the conclusion we arrived at is that the DRK questline deliberately and purposefully traded a more universalist writing approach for a much more provincial kind of writing, aimed at getting an NA, and more specifically USA audience, to really like the class. They certainly put in effort and seemed to have succeeded very well, but since I don't share a lot of the traditional USA values due to, well, not being born or living in the USA, it sticks out as tremendously jarring and off-tone from what I'd expect out of the Warrior of Light. Notably, neither the JP script nor the two other translations have that issue.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Is there any guide to those changes somewhere? I'd be interested in learning more.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Funnily enough I'm not American either but I vastly prefer EN DRK to the other language scripts.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Antivehicular posted:

Is there any guide to those changes somewhere? I'd be interested in learning more.
Here's a somewhat detailed post someone made on the translation differences on another forum.

I vastly prefer the EN localization version of the DRK quests, personally.

Especially because Fray writing themselves into your quest log is an EN localization invention. It doesn't exist in the original.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 8, 2023

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

GilliamYaeger posted:

Here's a somewhat detailed post someone made on the translation differences on another forum.

Especially because Fray writing themselves into your quest log is an EN localization invention. It doesn't exist in the original.

drat japan is missing out on some quality quests then

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

GilliamYaeger posted:

Man, StB DRK was so loving good and it's wild to think that it's mostly just EN.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

GilliamYaeger posted:

From reading that, I'm gonna say I prefer JP Fray but EN Myste, but that's probably because I do jive very well with the angle EN Myste puts forward, while EN Fray is the only character in the entire game I've ever disliked so much I considered not pursuing the questline solely so I wouldn't have to keep dealing with them.

But also, in reading that there's a minor change around Fray that I think actually worsens the story, at least for someone like me. (Spoiler-tagging this because at least one person here hasn't done it but probably wants to) In the original JP script, Fray is actually Fray, at least on a base functional level; it's their soul and feelings as essentially the devil on your shoulder. I actually think that's a lot better as an idea, because it then leaves it more to you as to how much of this the WoL actually thinks about and agrees with. Meanwhile the EN Fray basically just being the WoL's Shadow right out of a Persona 4 dungeon instead takes interpretation of your own character away from you and goes 'no, you are secretly a gripey edgelord who actually hates all this being helpful stuff'--and even through all of that post's gushing about EN DRK, it still points out that message sinks like a loving rock if you're a person that generally likes being helpful to others. JP Fray has an amount of distance that lets you disagree with them, which I think helps the story go down a lot better if that's where you land.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 8, 2023

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Transient People posted:

You're not alone, I happen to think that the english translation is absolute rear end in multiple ways. Not only does it obscure and omit details, it also changes character voices in a way that works for the intro quest set but falls apart to pieces in 61-70 and also makes the rapport between the characters vicious and unfriendly when they're supposed to be true companions. I talked about this with a friend and the conclusion we arrived at is that the DRK questline deliberately and purposefully traded a more universalist writing approach for a much more provincial kind of writing, aimed at getting an NA, and more specifically USA audience, to really like the class. They certainly put in effort and seemed to have succeeded very well, but since I don't share a lot of the traditional USA values due to, well, not being born or living in the USA, it sticks out as tremendously jarring and off-tone from what I'd expect out of the Warrior of Light. Notably, neither the JP script nor the two other translations have that issue.

Maybe I'm unique in this, though I really don't think so, but as an NA player from the USA that isn't the feeling I got from it. I need to do the 61-70 quests for DRK, but the 30-50 and 51-60 chains were approached differently but weren't entirely separate in their central point.

For me the 30-50 chain is about that piece of the WoL that feels negative towards others who don't help themselves, whether that's resentment, frustration, dislike, apathy or whatever, no matter how large or small your WoL actually thinks those things. (Mine is very little, she likes helping people.) Untrained as the WoL is with DRK when they get the soul crystal, those feelings get amplified (slightly, very drastically or somewhere in-between) and eventually embodied, and they have to put that embodiment in its place before it takes over. It's still there, still a part of them and a power to use as a DRK, but it's not in charge.

The 51-60 chain is about, very explicitly, love and how it drives everyone, but specifically how DRKs are driven by it. The story primarily uses familial love, but also showcases a love for religion overpowering it, demonstrating that love isn't always unconditional and how a found family can be more important than an original one. Of course, Big, Tough Sidurgu with the emotional breadth of a hairline fracture doesn't fully understand, but he's at least realizing that now. Rielle learns that his supposed apathy and frustration were driven by emotional immaturity rather than actually being what they seemed, and she wants to help him find that understanding just like he's helped her find a family. It's not the healthiest relationship, for sure, but it's better than either had before the chain started.

I've only done the first one or two quests of 61-70, but I fully expect it to continue the trend of showing that a DRK is driven by all of their emotions, not just frustration, apathy and trauma.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Cleretic posted:

From reading that, I'm gonna say I prefer JP Fray but EN Myste, but that's probably because I do jive very well with the angle EN Myste puts forward, while EN Fray is the only character in the entire game I've ever disliked so much I considered not pursuing the questline solely so I wouldn't have to keep dealing with them.

But also, in reading that there's a minor change around Fray that I think actually worsens the story, at least for someone like me. (Spoiler-tagging this because at least one person here hasn't done it but probably wants to) In the original JP script, Fray is actually Fray, at least on a base functional level; it's their soul and feelings as essentially the devil on your shoulder. I actually think that's a lot better as an idea, because it then leaves it more to you as to how much of this the WoL actually thinks about and agrees with. Meanwhile the EN Fray basically just being the WoL's Shadow right out of a Persona 4 dungeon instead takes interpretation of your own character away from you and goes 'no, you are secretly a gripey edgelord who actually hates all this being helpful stuff'--and even through all of that post's gushing about EN DRK, it still points out that message sinks like a loving rock if you're a person that generally likes being helpful to others. JP Fray has an amount of distance that lets you disagree with them, which I think helps the story go down a lot better if that's where you land.
Really? I thought it was the exact opposite - that, no matter how tired or fed up or angry the WoL gets at people asking them for help, they still want to do it, and they'll never stop even if their frustrations physically manifest and start screaming at them. And it's a message that hits super hard if you're doing this as soon as you hit Heavensward, since at this point you've been betrayed and exiled (even if only in name only) for only wanting to do the right thing! Even in the wake of that tragedy - one that basically broke Alphinaud - the WoL continues undaunted, despite their reservations. Just like how true courage isn't the absence of fear but the overcoming of it, WoL's good nature is only made stronger by how they don't just mindlessly smile and do what's asked of them. They have inner struggles that push against the very concept of helping others (struggles that briefly become external ones across the DRK quest) and it's by overcoming those challenges their true strength of character shines forth.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I've never had any problems with the 30-50 chain because I've never thought of my WoL as a perfect saint. Even good people that are happy to sacrifice their time and effort for others are going to have breaking points where they simply can't carry more. And like that translation post mentions, DRK 30-50 is unique because its really very clearly intended to be done early in Heavensward when the WoL is still reeling from the bloody banquet (this could be argued as a flaw I suppose considering every other job questline is mostly timeline agnostic). They are at one of, if not the darkest emotional point in the entire Hydaelyn-Zodiark saga so it makes sense that any irritation and frustration they have at being an errand boy/girl/enby would boil over. Personally, I like that. It adds depth to a character that is otherwise just there to punch their palm and inflict violence on whatever Alphinaud points at. I guess I can understand why people would be upset with that characterization being forced on them, but I dunno, its the character trait of "having emotions".

Heck, I almost think its a story that gets improved by the later revelations of Shadowbringers. We are deeply flawed, totally imperfect beings...and we still rose up to be better than what was expected of us.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

and heartbreaking truths

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

GilliamYaeger posted:

Really? I thought it was the exact opposite - that, no matter how tired or fed up or angry the WoL gets at people asking them for help, they still want to do it, and they'll never stop even if their frustrations physically manifest and start screaming at them. And it's a message that hits super hard if you're doing this as soon as you hit Heavensward, since at this point you've been betrayed and exiled (even if only in name only) for only wanting to do the right thing! Even in the wake of that tragedy - one that basically broke Alphinaud - the WoL continues undaunted, despite their reservations. Just like how true courage isn't the absence of fear but the overcoming of it, WoL's good nature is only made stronger by how they don't just mindlessly smile and do what's asked of them. They have inner struggles that push against the very concept of helping others (struggles that briefly become external ones across the DRK quest) and it's by overcoming those challenges their true strength of character shines forth.

Yeah, I don't think that isn't there in the JP version if that's how you read it. But frankly, I don't imagine my WoL having those frustrations, in very large part because I myself don't. In fact I always felt like it was artificially pushed in ARR DRK; pretty much every NPC that asks you for a favor anywhere else is actually very nice about asking and grateful that you did it, it's basically only in DRK that you get someone who's a total rear end in a top hat about it. So to me JP Fray actually meshes very well; I don't imagine the WoL as having that internal voice, but JP Fray forces them to answer those questions anyway, putting that to the test. It seems ambiguous as to how much of JP Fray's assertions are Fray versus how much is the WoL, so it could be entirely internal if you want--but EN Fray takes away that choice, constantly declaring things that just didn't resonate to me at all. Ironically, for being a job that basically exists in opposition to the Holy See, EN Fray feels preachy to me because of that; it's very forceful and demanding of a response I don't agree with at all.

This is all why I probably do accept it about Myste; because I absolutely mesh with Myste's angle (even if I'm still pissed that Ysayle never even gets mentioned in it; no, Myste having her hair doesn't count in a questlike that explicitly brought back and called to so many others). On a more academic level I think that yes, JP Myste would be better for the same reason of introducing distance so that someone who doesn't mesh with it, because EN Myste probably feels even more preachy to someone who disagrees with him than EN Fray does to me. But it doesn't bother me as much because at least I actually agree with EN Myste.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I've been playing frontlines since the mogtome event started, went series 1-30 in that time, it's been fun, however...

For the love of rhal'gar people OPEN. YOUR. MAP.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/WindUp_Mercy/status/1611962981566251010?s=20&t=6uYDAv6YMt3MVFY5PkSeyA

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

GilliamYaeger posted:

Not just your quest log, Esteem even manages to get their opinion into the EE... (DRK 60-70 spoilers)

Was a :aaa: moment when I realized the shift in tone from the rest of the book for this entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not just your quest log, Esteem even manages to get their opinion into the EE... (DRK 60-70 spoilers)

Was a :aaa: moment when I realized the shift in tone from the rest of the book for this entry.

Holy poo poo I missed this entirely