Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

What is wrong with this person's face? Is it meant to look like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Konomex posted:

They just look like any fat headed 20 year old

Some idiot
Dec 3, 2011
The most quintessentially Young Conservative name-face combo I've seen in years.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Konomex posted:

Turn on your monitor

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/FatherBob/status/1610745271092416514

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

rip father bob, taken out around the back of the bike sheds and loving murdered in front of the twitterverse

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Surprised it hasn't happened sooner, the man's been talking to someone that isn't there for years

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Konomex posted:

Surprised it hasn't happened sooner, the man's been talking to someone that isn't there for years

boooooo

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Just listened to a Dollop about Whitlam and it sounds like the dismissal may have actually been more of a CIA coup than we thought

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/532-gough-whitlam-and-1975-live-w-gen-fricker/id643055307?i=1000560226531

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Just listened to a Dollop about Whitlam and it sounds like the dismissal may have actually been more of a CIA coup than we thought

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/532-gough-whitlam-and-1975-live-w-gen-fricker/id643055307?i=1000560226531

You should write a post about it.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Or a medium article the size of a long article

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I write when there is something new to say, so it seems kind of redundant when Dave Anthony has already done it.

Also it's kind of included anyway

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Less than 20,000 words on the subject, I'm not convinced.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Again you guys seem to be missing the point here.

Was this common knowledge? I don't think I'd ever heard of it. Not that it's surprising or anything of course.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'm not that interested in looking into it and I already knew it was the CIA and the Queen

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Was this common knowledge? I don't think I'd ever heard of it. Not that it's surprising or anything of course.

I can barely read this, can you elaborate?

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

I write when there is something new to say, so it seems kind of redundant when Dave Anthony has already done it.

Also it's kind of included anyway

i am never gonna listen to that podcast so post as many words as you want about it, i'll read them

go hog wild

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Aware posted:

I can barely read this, can you elaborate?

Sure, instead instead of discussing the interesting and previously unexplored topic of American influence in our domestic political affairs, and their stunnilgy effective efforts to fight progressiviam globally, you are making a tired joke about a poster and the effort they put into explaining extremely complicated and important stories.

GoldStandardConure posted:

i am never gonna listen to that podcast so post as many words as you want about it, i'll read them

go hog wild

It's a good podcast, but the short version is that the American ambassador at the time was an ex-CIA guy who had a series of postings in countries that strangely all seemed to have coups while he was there. Nixon/Kissinger hated Whitlam for his opposition to the Vietnam War and called him a peace-nick, and Kerr had some shady CIA connections in his past as well. There's no "proof" or anything, but the pattern definitely checks out and all the correspondence at the time is consistent with America saying "gently caress this guy let's get rid of him" and then tapping Kerr to pull some unprecedented poo poo like that.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Nearly there, just a little bit more

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Buy me a drink first

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

In this thread, at least, I'd probably say the dismissal is widely understood to involve CIA trickery. I've certainly heard of the connection before, though as far as the public consciousness is concerned I don't think most people know about it.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

starkebn posted:

it was the CIA and the Queen

LYNDON LAROUCHE WAS RIGHT

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

I don't think the comedy podcast is going to be breaking information that hasn't been reported elsewhere.

To be fair the "palace letters" and such has only been made available in the last 3 or so years.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Bucky it's a bit odd that it took you this long to realize what Capital has been up to, but welcome to the show. You should dig into Dialectical Materialism if you want to know more. It will really help you tie things together with regards to your work on contemporary fascism and conspiracy.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 7, 2023

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Animal Friend posted:

I don't think the comedy podcast is going to be breaking information that hasn't been reported elsewhere.

To be fair the "palace letters" and such has only been made available in the last 3 or so years.

of course he's not breaking things, cos it has obviously been reported elsewhere, but it is a big and noisy world and perhaps those sources had not made it to the ears of everyone

Ranter posted:

Bucky it's a bit odd that it took you this long to realize what Capital has been up to, but welcome to the show. You should dig into Dialectical Materialism if you want to know more. It will really help you tie things together with regards to your work on contemporary fascism and conspiracy.

I know what capital Does, that's the point of the Thing, the details of this particular episode had just somehow escaped me, but thanks

Anyway, gently caress Nixon and gently caress Kissinger I guess.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

of course he's not breaking things, cos it has obviously been reported elsewhere, but it is a big and noisy world and perhaps those sources had not made it to the ears of everyone

I know what capital Does, that's the point of the Thing, the details of this particular episode had just somehow escaped me, but thanks

As far as I understand it, the palace letters covering the timeframe were supposed to have been declassified decades ago according to the norms surrounding the public release of palace correspondence in general. A group of people had been trying to get them for a long time, and finally did so a few years ago.

An Australian academic (who spoke at an NTEU national council meeting right before Covid) put in the yards going through them and released a book; but between the Liberals being in power and they and the mainstream media having zero interest in promoting the narrative that the Libs were complicit in a straight-up coup OR that the Americans had a major role in it, and the global pandemic hitting not long after it did fall into the memory hole a bit.

It's not something most Australians under 60 would be that familiar with. While the dismissal was covered when I was in secondary school, the narrative was more around demonstrating how the Governer General's failsafe works in the event of a hung parliament, and not how extraordinary the whole ordeal was, or the underlying geopolitical context. It's definitely something worth talking about, as people not extremely online and plugged into leftist politics would likely have no clue how vulnerable our parliamentary system is to foreign intervention.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Don Dongington posted:

An Australian academic (who spoke at an NTEU national council meeting right before Covid) put in the yards going through them and released a book; but between the Liberals being in power and they and the mainstream media having zero interest in promoting the narrative that the Libs were complicit in a straight-up coup OR that the Americans had a major role in it, and the global pandemic hitting not long after it did fall into the memory hole a bit.

Any chance of recalling the author/book?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Sure, instead instead of discussing the interesting and previously unexplored topic of American influence in our domestic political affairs, and their stunnilgy effective efforts to fight progressiviam globally, you are making a tired joke about a poster and the effort they put into explaining extremely complicated and important stories.

It's a good podcast, but the short version is that the American ambassador at the time was an ex-CIA guy who had a series of postings in countries that strangely all seemed to have coups while he was there. Nixon/Kissinger hated Whitlam for his opposition to the Vietnam War and called him a peace-nick, and Kerr had some shady CIA connections in his past as well. There's no "proof" or anything, but the pattern definitely checks out and all the correspondence at the time is consistent with America saying "gently caress this guy let's get rid of him" and then tapping Kerr to pull some unprecedented poo poo like that.

yeah this stuff is all well-enough known among people who follow politics way too closely. some of the stuff corroborating it only really came out a few years ago with the palace letters which is why you might have missed that part

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

It's a loving outrage. And what's worse, when the unions were gearing up for arguably the most appropriate strike in history, Bob bloody Hawke talked them down.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Yeah the second part of my post seemed more sarcastic then intended. Revelations were made about political actitivies from 60 years ago... during a pandemic.

Only super clued in people really got a wind of it.

Perennial.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

MikeJF posted:

Any chance of recalling the author/book?

I wanna say you're looking for The Palace Letters by Jenny Hocking. I got that by googling but the face and name look familiar and she's a historian at Monash so checks out.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Don Dongington posted:

While the dismissal was covered when I was in secondary school, the narrative was more around demonstrating how the Governer General's failsafe works in the event of a hung parliament

:chanpop:

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

It's a bit hacky honestly that the leader of the opposition, who's fash as gently caress and hates trans people also looks like Voldemort.

Like, come on writers room, that's just lazy. Also, read another book.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/cameronwilson/status/1612307793440313346

This is the way things are going to be from now on isn't it?

Cookers "just asking questions" about every loving thing

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Non Compos Mentis posted:

If it's any consolation they live their lives angry and terrified, which must suck

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Does Dutton have alopecia or something?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Yes... He is bald. Very astute.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
bald and pig-like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Non Compos Mentis posted:

You're the one thinking these dipshits are actually buying and eating spinach instead of whatever domino's coupon is valid that day.