Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

abelwingnut posted:

oh dear. so...yea, not sure how that'd work then.

what would be the best order? release order? was hoping to play them in the order easiest to understand the overarching story. i remember playing lttp and ocarina and windwaker as a kid/teen, and it never really gelled how they all connected. playing chronologically was supposed to remedy that.

The overarching story is that Link is the good guy who beats the bad guys, usually Ganon but not always. If you have the stomach for retro games then start at the beginning with The Legend of Zelda otherwise start with whatever is most easily available, I'd suggest Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The story is Skyward Sword was when they decided "We're just gonna steal Castlevania's origin story." And every Zelda after that is basically the same, minus the origin story part that they threw in at the very end. Except sometimes he's a cartoon. And sometimes he's a little boy. And sometimes he's a 14-year-old. Zelda grows and learns before our very eyes!

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I liked the open world Barbarian Thief Hyrule: Criminal of Time, the one where after your smash pots and steal rupees you murder the shopkeep and take their cash. So fun trampling koroks into paste with Epona and using the boomerang to decapitate all the deku guards that chase you at five carrots. Hook shot heart removal fatality owns too.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

“I think the problem is you’re just uneducated.”

BRJurgis posted:

I liked the open world Barbarian Thief Hyrule: Criminal of Time, the one where after your smash pots and steal rupees you murder the shopkeep and take their cash. So fun trampling koroks into paste with Epona and using the boomerang to decapitate all the deku guards that chase you at five carrots. Hook shot heart removal fatality owns too.

:dafuq:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah totally

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Grand Theft Hyrule

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BRJurgis posted:

Yeah, I liked Fable 1 too, after I got past all of Molyneux's broken promises.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

BRJurgis posted:

die

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

The dating Sim was the best, Wake Up, Link! Hyrule Love Village Elf. Mr Hooters schools the Player of Time to fulfill his promise to his dead wood daddy: seduce every girl in the land and then dip for a nap while their world turns into a nightmare" titled Ocarina of Time for US release of course.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BRJurgis fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 8, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Please stop posting like that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I feel like those were acid trips, not video games.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

BRJurgis posted:

BRJurgis posted:

The dating Sim was the best, Wake Up, Link! Hyrule Love Village Elf. Mr Hooters schools the Player of Time to fulfill his promise to his dead wood daddy: seduce every girl in the land and then dip for a nap while their world turns into a nightmare" titled Ocarina of Time for US release of course.

:unsmigghh:

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
wind waker is a great starting point for zelda

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

abelwingnut posted:

oh dear. so...yea, not sure how that'd work then.

what would be the best order? release order? was hoping to play them in the order easiest to understand the overarching story. i remember playing lttp and ocarina and windwaker as a kid/teen, and it never really gelled how they all connected. playing chronologically was supposed to remedy that.

the story of Link's iconic hat is that one day he found a hosed up talking hat in the shape of a bird, but it wasn't actually a hat or even a bird, but a cursed wizard who was a Minish, a race of tiny elf-like creatures no larger than your thumb. however, the hat was normal sized

this story, all the characters involved, and even the entire Minish race were never alluded to in previous games and they never come up again afterward.

so, there's really no point in hoping to find understanding in an overarching story, because there isn't one, and that's on purpose. play them in release order to appreciate how the games build off one another, and don't sweat it

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

American McGay posted:

Please stop posting like that.

How about a tetras based dating app. Choose your shape and color. Find that reverse T of your dreams amidst a sea of L blocks!

"Hey baby, I'm blue and I can be your square block. You can control my descent and rotate me any way you want ;) "

Tetris Connect: Find Your Fit

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

flavor.flv posted:

Skyward Sword is my favourite Zelda game and the original wii release is the definitive version

It is also the best looking Zelda game but that isn't saying much

See what I like about people, and in all honesty, is there someone for everything. It's nice that Skyward Sword is a game some people adore. That's important.

Not my favorite by any stretch of the imagination but it does some cool things. I really liked the dungeon layouts. I really was underwhelmed by the attempt at "fancy" combat, which means you're just waiting for the right moment to swing in the right direction. It's not a fair comparison, but the best combat in games for me comes from Souls and Souls-likes. Reasonably not wanting to make games that hard, Zelda combat just feels time-consuming. Aside from the 2D games, the best 3D combat came from the 64 games, where it's just swing a bunch of times or from Windwaker which added special moves that serve no purpose aside from looking cool.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
the secret techniques you can learn in twilight princess are really cool

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

BRJurgis posted:

How about a tetras based dating app. Choose your shape and color. Find that reverse T of your dreams amidst a sea of L blocks!

"Hey baby, I'm blue and I can be your square block. You can control my descent and rotate me any way you want ;) "

Tetris Connect: Find Your Fit

:blastu:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

the secret techniques you can learn in twilight princess are really cool

I feel like they were harder to pull off and with no real payoff I often ignored them but it’s been years.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

When did society do a 180 on Twilight Princess? I felt like I was crazy when it was released because it was so souless and stale, but everyone everywhere seemed to think it was the greatest game of all time.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

my favorite zelda timeline is where link is a girl and says gently caress

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Bug Squash posted:

When did society do a 180 on Twilight Princess? I felt like I was crazy when it was released because it was so souless and stale, but everyone everywhere seemed to think it was the greatest game of all time.

I know I've heard it described more eloquently, but I think with any big franchise, the majority doesn't really engage with it online, and so the minority of people who do end up writing a new narrative that goes against the mainstream.

Majora's Mask: initially controversial for the time mechanic/sidequests over dungeons, now it's much more popular and people like it over OOT.
Twilight Princess: well regarded at release, now you see lots of people say it's too safe, graphics ugly, etc.
Breath of the Wild: Praised as one of the greatest games of all time, and 10/10, now people are more willing to argue about durability, dungeons, so on.

I don't think (most) people are trying to be intentionally provocative (I personally do think TP really is super ugly) I just think it's a natural effect of internet discussions.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hrist posted:

The story is Skyward Sword was when they decided "We're just gonna steal Castlevania's origin story." And every Zelda after that is basically the same

My goon, how many new non-remake Zelda games are between Skyward Sword and now?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Do we count Hyrule Warriors and Cadence of Hyrule? If we do then there's maybe five? Six? If not then three.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

The haters and the likers take turns shutting up. I love Twilight Princess

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I feel like they were harder to pull off and with no real payoff I often ignored them but it’s been years.

they were largely unnecessary because the game's piss easy even by zelda standards but it was still really cool to pull them off, especially when fighting darknuts. twilight princess isn't at the top of my list (the tutorial, wolf sections, difficulty, and how zant was handled) but it isn't the worst zelda by any means. it has the best companion in a zelda game and one of the better batting averages for dungeons

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jan 8, 2023

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I enjoyed TP enough to beat it twice, once on Wii and once on HD. It's not a perfect game, and it's admittedly pretty ugly, but I think it's got the best combat and "partner" in the series, and some pretty fun dungeons.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I know I've heard it described more eloquently, but I think with any big franchise, the majority doesn't really engage with it online, and so the minority of people who do end up writing a new narrative that goes against the mainstream.

Majora's Mask: initially controversial for the time mechanic/sidequests over dungeons, now it's much more popular and people like it over OOT.
Twilight Princess: well regarded at release, now you see lots of people say it's too safe, graphics ugly, etc.
Breath of the Wild: Praised as one of the greatest games of all time, and 10/10, now people are more willing to argue about durability, dungeons, so on.

I don't think (most) people are trying to be intentionally provocative (I personally do think TP really is super ugly) I just think it's a natural effect of internet discussions.

Breath of the Wild is still the greatest game ever made FYI.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Do we count Hyrule Warriors and Cadence of Hyrule? If we do then there's maybe five? Six? If not then three.

I'm talking LoZ mainline games, not "other games but LoZ themed".

How were there 3?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I haven't replayed tp but I liked the ball and chain

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

My goon, how many new non-remake Zelda games are between Skyward Sword and now?

Pretty sure "after that" meant "after that in the Zelda timeline"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

WarpDogs posted:

the story of Link's iconic hat is that one day he found a hosed up talking hat in the shape of a bird, but it wasn't actually a hat or even a bird, but a cursed wizard who was a Minish, a race of tiny elf-like creatures no larger than your thumb. however, the hat was normal sized

this story, all the characters involved, and even the entire Minish race were never alluded to in previous games and they never come up again afterward.

so, there's really no point in hoping to find understanding in an overarching story, because there isn't one, and that's on purpose. play them in release order to appreciate how the games build off one another, and don't sweat it

I always appreciated The Minish Cap for changing fundamental names in translation to make a stupid pun.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm talking LoZ mainline games, not "other games but LoZ themed".

How were there 3?
Link Between Worlds, Tri Force Heroes, and BOTW.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Kirios posted:

Breath of the Wild is still the greatest game ever made FYI.

how do I see this? I tried getting into BOTW three times and I felt the intro stuff just drags on forever

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Not really. If you fully explore the plateau it takes probably 2 hours but if you b-line the shrines you’re out of there in 30 minutes. Maybe you should try sucking less.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

Link Between Worlds, Tri Force Heroes, and BOTW.

Ok, fair enough.

Edit:

American McGay posted:

Not really. If you fully explore the plateau it takes probably 2 hours but if you b-line the shrines you’re out of there in 30 minutes. Maybe you should try sucking less.

In a few hours, a runner for AGDQ 2023 is going to beat BOTW in under 30 minutes.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

American McGay posted:

sorry :(

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's ok to be bad at video games. :)

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
it just never clicked even going into it with a totally open mind. Im certain Im missing a perspective , I didnt mean to cause offense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's ok to be bad at video games. :)

Its actually NOT ok.