Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Are the AOE1 RBW games posted anywhere? They're not on the official stream or on YT, I'm curious how pro-level AOE1 plays compared to 2 or 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Justin Tyme posted:

Are the AOE1 RBW games posted anywhere? They're not on the official stream or on YT, I'm curious how pro-level AOE1 plays compared to 2 or 4.

Watched it live -- they were pretty one-sided and short matches. Probably not as good matches as what you'd see on the actual Vietnam community Youtube channels. Here's a link to one of them: https://www.youtube.com/c/GameTV/videos

Here's their latest video for the lazy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7OHfs5J82E

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
The grand finals were a part of the stream currently playing now:

AoE 1 gameplay was about 2 and a half hours ago.

e: beaten

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Screenshot from the AoE4 Grand Finals at the Wololo tournament:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Love Stole the Day posted:

Screenshot from the AoE4 Grand Finals at the Wololo tournament:

Mista owns

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
FYI even if you heard AoE3 is bad, the single player campaign is super cool and good... and the remake they did has lots of really nice small things, like these ducks that just casually play in the water while you're frantically building villagers.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The original had absolutely tons of nature and general details like that too. Whatever you might say about the game the art was always fantastic. Iirc it even won like, the top game art award for that year.

I know I'm in the minority but it's where the definitive edition falls flat for me; higher fidelity isn't the same as better art, you know? Yeah all the textures are high res and the models are higher poly, but it all looks a lot less cohesive than the original. I guess it is just the inevitable difference in budgets, where back in 2005 you could have an actual AAA studio with world class artists and best in the industry tech working on an RTS game, which is just completely unfeasible now. AoE2 was from a clunky enough era that I think the definitive edition remasters it perfectly, but 3's lost a bunch of the charm of the original for me.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
AOE3 is fun, and ultimately I think its grown into a genuinely good game with its post launch support in DE. But don't ever get me started on the campaign and what it chose to focus on out of the vast possibilities that were open to it when you are looking at the American colonial period (TL;DR, I'm not a fan).

I also must say I tend to prefer the visuals in DE, I didn't really feel like they dropped the ball there at all, if anything I'm glad they toned down the insanely excessive amounts of bloom compared to the original release.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 13, 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here is a good video about age of mythology I stumbled across which is a good rundown if you are unfamiliar with it or nostalgic for it or just want to see what a total low effort piece of poo poo the low rated tales of the dragon expansion was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2vQRfsObbM

I knew the tales of the dragon expansion was poorly received but I had no idea what made it so bad, the campaign looks lower quality then what some kids could do in the scenario editor in the original and the balance is absolutely atrocious with the busted stats on china's units that do everything better then what other civs could specialize in.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Tale of the Dragon is terrible, but I'll give the devs a little bit of a pass considering that they were basically a disorganized group of modders at the time highly unfamiliar with the game compared to AOE2 and apparently they had absolutely no budget and resources for it at all.

I suspect that one of the reasons that the new AOM edition is called 'retold' is because they are going to try to completely slice away all the amateurish crap in the expansion and make it something actually worthy of the Age of name.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
They pretty much have to, there isn't much to salvage from that expansion besides concepts.

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
That video pushed me to play a bit of the AoM campaign again. It's still so good.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
New event btw. No idea when it started; got sick as poo poo for a few days

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

New event btw. No idea when it started; got sick as poo poo for a few days

Started like 2 days ago along with a patch that had a nice change for poo poo players like me that gives you team vision from the start without a market.

Wondering if they will have crossplay with the Xbox and PC players?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The frost maned horse is a big let-down. I'm glad I got it, for completions sake, but man it just looks like a my little pony

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
What are the chances of T90 going back to twitch at some point? From what I can tell his facebook streams are close to dead / almost no viewers and I kind of miss the dumb LEL / community streams. Though the latter would be probably dead now anyways that the community he had is pretty much youtube videos only.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

FrickenMoron posted:

What are the chances of T90 going back to twitch at some point? From what I can tell his facebook streams are close to dead / almost no viewers and I kind of miss the dumb LEL / community streams. Though the latter would be probably dead now anyways that the community he had is pretty much youtube videos only.

Less than zero. He's got like a lifetime contract with Facebook for infinity money and Twitch was treating him really badly.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Shame but it was a financially smart choice. I guess he could get out of it if Facebook gaming closes its doors like mixer did.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
He still posts to YouTube a lot. Also, when there is a big tournament and he co-casts with somebody I end up watching the co-caster's Twitch stream.

I wish he was back on but I understand why. He's in his 20s and has essentially bet his whole financial life on broadcasting a 25-year-old game. If that income ever suddenly stops he won't have any marketable skills to do anything else.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

He's got like a lifetime contract with Facebook for infinity money and Twitch was treating him really badly.

Someone in his stream a few months ago asked if he still gets money from Twitch subscribers. His answer was that he's not supposed to anymore since he streams on a different platform but actually the money was still getting through to him because evidently Twitch didn't even care enough to turn off whatever partner program he was on. Which is pretty telling.

I wish Mixer had stuck around. I tried watching it a few times but the Microsoft account integration or whatever was just too clunky. Even YouTube Gaming kind of fizzled out, but Red Bull Wololo was streamed there at least.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Twitch: If you streamed here, you'd wish you were on Facebook

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I feel the same way about T90 and The Viper going to fb, Viper indirectly suggested that even if he never made a penny from subs on fb and it killed his twitch audience entirely it'd still be worth it financially. I can't be mad that fb is willing to subsidize aoe2, I wasn't watching live very often anyway.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Competition is good for all of us and Twitch's monopoly sucks rear end. Internet shot itself in the foot with Mixer.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
I try to watch T90 sometimes on FB gaming, but holy poo poo that platform is just so inferior to any other streaming service. It has horrible UX, I have to make an effort to find the stream even though I follow T90 and technical performance is horrendous - stream is often choppy, quality can vary, the UI gets bugged. I don't know what their contracts look like but I have a feeling they're going to get hosed by FB sooner or later and there's no long term future for them on this platform as it's quite clear this is not a priority project for Meta. It's just a question of time when they'll cut it.

YT Gaming is eons ahead of this platform, even Mixer was at its time. This is about the worst possible platform they could've gone to.

Gmaz fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 16, 2022

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ideally they get their payout and then move back to somewhere watchable when the platform shutters. iirc that was what happened with Mixer when it died, Microsoft had to honor the contracts it had signed.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
What's the best way to find community-made co-op scenarios and campaigns? I love the co-op campaign stuff and wish there was easy access to more like it. But there's no 'co-op' tag or label in any search that I've found... not in the ageofempires.com mods sections or through the in-game mods page. The best I've found is to literally search the term 'co-op' at those two places which returns some stuff that has co-op directly listed in the name, but that's gotta be missing a ton of stuff. Could someone please share a less janky way to simply browse a list of community-made co-op scenarios?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Gmaz posted:

I don't know what their contracts look like but I have a feeling they're going to get hosed by FB sooner or later

IIRC T90 called it "a life changing amount of money" so I'm sure it was 7 figures. He'll be fine.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Especially because, as Mixer's closure proved, when they do return to Twitch everyone will come back.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

too bad about t90 speedrunning a dozen covid infections tho, plague pennensula takes another

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dunno if anyone else is following TTL, but I just checked the results board and I was surprised to see that (spoilered because the VOD isn't up yet) Vinchester lost his set against Running. Bit of an upset, given Running's a gold promote and Vinchester won the whole drat league last season. Everything else seems to have gone about as I'd have expected it to, except maybe Daut vs ACCM.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The vietnamese players seeming like real up and comers is something I said a while ago and it's good to be proven right even if at the expense of poor old daut

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

New event is out and it doesn't seem to be working for me? Is capturing a relic just sticking it in a monastery? Because I've been doing that and no dice

e: this whole event is screwy as poo poo. Game crashing nonstop, monk mod not working, difficulty getting achievements. Not their finest work

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 11, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

They released 10 new achievements for you perfect gamers out there. You can knock them all out in short order and I think can get 6 in one go with the right setup

Noosphere
Aug 31, 2008

[[[error]]] Damn not found.
AoE 4 has just started season 4 with a raft of balance changes. It feels very good so far.

And for those who want to try it, it's free on Steam this weekend.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

New event. It's xbox themed. I kinda wanna see the last one though. All the mods I earned disappeared last event :(

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Nili Apartment Cup 4 going on this week, day1 just finished up today and some really good matches from the back half I caught

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Been trying to play some AOE4, but for some reason, the game just feels sluggish coming from AOE2? As in the attack animations, movement, etc just feel slow. Am I just falling for nostalgia on AOE2?

I'm a terrible player and mostly only play team games online (<900 ELO) in AOE2.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I also bounced super hard off the aesthetic and general vibe of AoE4. Hard to articulate exactly how, but I think I was feeling what you're feeling.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yeah, it feels... murky? I'm not sure how to put it into words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It feels like they were going for a high visibility aesthetic but in making everything high vis it's too much, it gives me a bit of visual overload. I adapted after staring at it for long enough, but it still doesn't stand out, and worse, it's not pretty or detailed because of the style they went for.