Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

How "Tactical" Infiltrated Everyday Life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Lotta lols in that piece, which is a given as the author clearly believes that troops & cops are trooping & copping on his behalf. I especially enjoyed this bit:

“…we will be making a conscious effort in the future to curb the confusion caused by conflating consumer-grade and professional-level products (i.e. military and law enforcement equipment.)”

Just the most embarrassing poo poo.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The Search for a Ranger Who Was Lost and Never Found

No trace of Fugate was ever conclusively found. Investigators formed theories. Many make perfect sense. At the same time, they can all be disproven. Was Fugate murdered, did he willingly disappear? And who was involved with the outcome?

Big ol quote from more than a year back! I'm slowly making my way through this thread whenever I find the time and this one line, so simply put, has completely changed the way I view persons-of-interest who are interviewed for articles such as these:

quote:

Dody said, “Someone’s idea of what happened to Paul tells you more about the person having the idea than about what actually happened to Paul.”

Just wow, man. I actually went "...huh." in real life. Great quoting by the author, it's a fascinating thing to consider whenever I read a missing persons case story from now on. Thanks Dody!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:06 on Aug 4, 2022

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm glad you're enjoying the thread!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Somehow stumbled upon this oral history of Reading Rainbow from Mental Floss and turns out I could have the Bush Administration even more than I thought

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/93884/take-look-oral-history-reading-rainbow

MNIMWA
Dec 1, 2014

Selachian posted:

Was it Michael Kimmelman's review of Freedom Tower?

Loved this line:

quote:

It abruptly stops at 1,368 feet, the height of the former twin towers, achieving its symbolic target number — 1,776 feet — by virtue of a skinny antenna. Counting the antenna is like counting relish at a hot dog eating contest.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Insurers force change on police departments long resistant to it

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
The author, a gay man, attends a Scandinavian multi-day LARP session that replicates the experience of attending a gay-conversation therapy camp: https://www.wired.com/story/my-4-days-in-fake-gay-conversion-therapy-nordic-larp/

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

A Custody Evaluator Who Disbelieves 90% of Abuse Allegations Recommended a Teen Stay Under Her Abusive Father’s Control

Trent Davis Bailey for ProPublica posted:

In Colorado family courts, parents can request an expert evaluation of their case, which sometimes includes allegations of abuse. Mark Kilmer is routinely appointed to evaluate families despite his own history of domestic violence.

Source

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Everett False posted:

A Custody Evaluator Who Disbelieves 90% of Abuse Allegations Recommended a Teen Stay Under Her Abusive Father’s Control

Source

Holy poo poo, gently caress that guy.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I just learned I only have months to live. This is what I want to say.

Boston Globe (paywall)

Archived Link

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1577740437145649154

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Seeing and somethingness - By Nicholas Humphrey

Let’s begin with story about a person, DB, who lost their sight on their right side due to brain surgery. It turns out DB could still “see” via an older neural pathway that bypasses the cortex. But the problem is DB didn’t think “they” were seeing. DB didn’t know how “they” had the knowledge of where things were in their blindspot.

Nicholas Humphrey starts from this strange phenomenon of “blindsight” to build his evolutionary theory of consciousness.

His argument is that we evolved to react to stimulus, and at some point we evolved memory. Then, crucially, we created a mental model of ourselves to predict what our reaction would be to different stimulus. That mental model became our self. It became our consciousness.

That’s the summary. The article has a lot more science, philosophy, and pictures.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Chinese government’s unlikeliest standoff is with … fandom

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Female bodybuilders describe widespread sexual exploitation

In retrospect it's not surprising that this is a problem, but it's a little surprising just how concentrated the power is.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lifg posted:

Seeing and somethingness - By Nicholas Humphrey

Let’s begin with story about a person, DB, who lost their sight on their right side due to brain surgery. It turns out DB could still “see” via an older neural pathway that bypasses the cortex. But the problem is DB didn’t think “they” were seeing. DB didn’t know how “they” had the knowledge of where things were in their blindspot.

Nicholas Humphrey starts from this strange phenomenon of “blindsight” to build his evolutionary theory of consciousness.

His argument is that we evolved to react to stimulus, and at some point we evolved memory. Then, crucially, we created a mental model of ourselves to predict what our reaction would be to different stimulus. That mental model became our self. It became our consciousness.

That’s the summary. The article has a lot more science, philosophy, and pictures.

Great story, too.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Stuck in the Mud: How a Tiny, Beloved Driving Game Sparked a Bizarre, Decade-Long Feud

quote:

But the truth is far, far more convoluted than a simple David and Goliath match-up. Over several months of investigation into the two companies’ histories, legal documents, employees, and claims, I’ve uncovered a messy, complex feud over a decade old that involves years of stolen assets, allegations of millions of dollars in unpaid royalties on both sides, expensive cars, game development time bombs, possible shell companies, vanishing game developers, and a number of still-unanswered questions about the history, ownership, and fate of the little off-road driving game.

At the heart of it all is a tiny game largely made by an individual who loved watching big trucks drive through harsh, muddy terrain and wanted to share that love with the world. And while that love may have spawned a successful, beloved franchise of games, the future of all three may now hinge on a tense and mysterious legal battle culminating at the end of this year. Unfortunately, none of the people fighting in it appear to be telling the full story.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/stringa/status/1586020798434873345

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Castle in the clouds?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1585982432029069312

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/matt_levine/status/1584854026231099392

40,000 words on crypto by someone who understands the financial system about as well as anyone does. Well worth your time if you're interested in the topic.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"...the problems with Twitter are not engineering problems. They are political problems." That's true, and Musk is not equipped to handle them. I just hope the author knows that like all CEOs, Elon Musk is a politician and not an engineer nor an expert on anything else

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Getting the World Record in HATERIS

HATERIS is a deterministic Tetris variant where the next piece is chosen to minimize how useful it is. The article is a May writeup from the people who improved the record from 66 lines to 86 lines.

They published a new-best from an improved method from them got to 148 lines yesterday:
https://twitter.com/TheCog19/status/1588896915462422530

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
10,000 brains in a basement: The dark and mysterious origins of Denmark’s psychiatric brain collection

BRAINS! posted:

Like so many places, Denmark was also grappling with mental illness. Psychiatric institutions had been built across the country to provide care for patients.

But there was limited understanding of what was happening in the brain. The same year peace came to Denmark’s doorstep, two doctors working in the country had an idea.

When these patients died in psychiatric hospitals, autopsies were routinely performed. What if, these doctors thought, the brains were removed – and kept?

It turns out that the answer is "forty years later you have ten thousand brains in the basement and no idea what to do with them."

Luckily, such a gross ethics violation could never occur in modern times, right?

BRAINS! posted:

The Council of Ethics goes against political and religious demands by ruling it is ethically sound to use deceased psychiatric patient brains for research without getting the consent of relatives. This time, SIND agrees.

Oh. So, what do people here think? Is it ethical to remove people's brains without consent and use them for scientific experiments? The ethicists say "yes".

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 10:28 on Nov 13, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Before chemo permanently quarantined me from donating blood, I was also signed up as an organ donor upon death.

I still support the notion that upon death, unless people have opted out through the existing method of registering organ donation in Denmark (simply log in with your digital ID and register yourself as an organ donor), their organs should go to help someone else.

I had no idea we had ten thousand brains in a basement, though.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

A sad and angering one from Propublica

The Landlord & The Tenant

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

The author's promo tweet reads:

hundreds of thousands of baby teeth, the combusting buildings of the world trade center architect, and secret radiological experiments conducted on citizens in Minneapolis, Winnipeg, and St. Louis

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

I gotta give this a read but both of my parents teeth were part of this. My mom sent me articles about this earlier this year since it had popped up again, so I’m really curious to get a ton more details.

Thanks for sharing!!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

:catstare: I saw a documentary some years ago about the administrative sabotage of Pruitt-Igoe but it didn't really get into the crimes against humanity

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
That was an interesting, infuriating article. It makes me wonder if my mom or her siblings were part of the tooth study; they lived in the area in the early sixties.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

His daughter went missing at 16. But his fight was only beginning

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A very fine essay on Lake Powell, the Glen Canyon Dam, the disappearance of the Colorado River, and the reappearance of Glen Canyon.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/08/16/the-lost-canyon-under-lake-powell

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The untold story of how a US woman was sentenced to six years for voting

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
T.S. Eliot's The Waste Land turned one hundred recently. Here's some context for it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/matt_levine/status/1584854026231099392

40,000 words on crypto by someone who understands the financial system about as well as anyone does. Well worth your time if you're interested in the topic.

A postscript addressing everything that's happened since this article was published.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
The Guardians best longreads of the year: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2022/dec/27/the-best-of-the-long-read-in-2022

i!ii!!iii!!!ii!!i!
Jan 5, 2011

Cool avs beyond this door.
https://www.propublica.org/article/muscular-dystrophy-patient-olympic-medalist-same-genetic-mutation

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's infuriating how long it took for her to be taken seriously, and thrn again and again and again at every stage of her research.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

World Longest Fence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

TIL we've got two fuckoff huge fences, not just the one. (There's a movie about the other one.)