Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I really wish Myki was still around. It facilitated syncing between your devices via p2p so you got all the benefits of a cloud sync without having to store your pws on someone else's server

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Slimy Hog posted:

I really wish Myki was still around.
For a second there I was extremely confused because I thought you were talking about the Melbourne public transport ticket system, which
A: is still around, and
B: is loving terrible.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I guess I'm the nerd this time, but what parts of keepass do people find hard to use?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

tuyop posted:

You can host your own vault with Bitwarden so you can keep your encrypted vault off the cloud if you need to!

You see what I mean!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Is it really called Keep rear end

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
no its called keep rear end xc

Tesseraction posted:

As someone who swears by Keepass, I do have issues with the Google Drive plugin which decided to completely gently caress up my work database after I'd driven an hour to the site I was to work at.

No problem with keeping the database in Google Drive but personally I'd advise against the plugin because that was a catastrophic gently caress up that made me have to nuke the database on that machine and reobtain an offline copy from an unconnected machine to not lose all my passwords.

e: to clarify, that's a THIRD-PARTY PLUGIN, Keepass itself is 100% fine

i have no idea what plugin you are using or why on earth you would need it

i just put the encrypted mypasswords.kbdx file into a google drive folder that syncs to my desktop, laptop and phone
then i use the normal app without any special plugins to open that file and it Just Works(tm)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 8, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

That method works well but there can be issues with missing/conflicting entries if you're generating passwords on a device that is offline which syncs later on. I never considered this being an edge case that could happen but it hit me several times when I was traveling internationally. Multiple devices and periods without internet combined with some unlucky timing. In those cases it needs some form of.. version management or reconciliation, I guess? A .kdbx on a cloud account isn't enough.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 8, 2023

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Fruits of the sea posted:

That method works well but there can be issues with missing/conflicting entries if you're generating passwords on a device that is offline which syncs later on. I never considered this being an edge case that could happen but it hit me several times when I was traveling internationally. Multiple devices and periods without internet combined with some unlucky timing. In those cases it needs some form of.. version management or reconciliation, I guess? A .kdbx on a cloud account isn't enough.

Even though I wasn't traveling, maybe losing internet is what did the KeePass + Google Drive method in for me too. I had to make sure not to generate or change passwords on my phone because they would often not sync, and then that new password would be lost when the phone did sync. Bitwarden is so much less hassle.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I just remember my passwords.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

hooah posted:

Even though I wasn't traveling, maybe losing internet is what did the KeePass + Google Drive method in for me too. I had to make sure not to generate or change passwords on my phone because they would often not sync, and then that new password would be lost when the phone did sync. Bitwarden is so much less hassle.

Sounds exactly like my experience. There are plug-ins for Keepass that can handle this as well but I don't have any reason to promote it above another manager unless they have been compromised at some point.

Tiggum posted:

lmao I wish my memory was worth a drat

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tiggum posted:

i could probably remember 5 or 10 passwords without reusing any but i actually have at least 10x that many
there's way too much poo poo that wants you to register an account nowadays

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
You create a pattern that you can remember but isn't immediately obvious, then you don't have to worry about hackers finding out your password, and unless you're particularly important they're not going to spend the time to figure out your specific pattern.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

Lol I have* over 30 gmail accounts alone with their own unique 5-word passwords or 32-character strings, get out of here with that poo poo.

*access to, most of them are organizational accounts

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
An example would be to assign letters of the alphabet into groups with code words, so like ROYBIV assigned too letters. A-F could be red, G-J could be orange, K-O yellow, P-T indigo, U-Z violet

then you just need your cipher memorized, and you know all your passwords but they'd be unique, so using that and the first three letters of a website, like SA would be IndigoIndigoYellow and then some number. Your Gmail would be OrangeYellowRed and then some number etc. etc.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Boba Pearl posted:

An example would be to assign letters of the alphabet into groups with code words, so like ROYBIV assigned too letters. A-F could be red, G-J could be orange, K-O yellow, P-T indigo, U-Z violet

then you just need your cipher memorized, and you know all your passwords but they'd be unique, so using that and the first three letters of a website, like SA would be IndigoIndigoYellow and then some number. Your Gmail would be OrangeYellowRed and then some number etc. etc.

Get a password manager.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Boba Pearl posted:

You create a pattern that you can remember but isn't immediately obvious, then you don't have to worry about hackers finding out your password, and unless you're particularly important they're not going to spend the time to figure out your specific pattern.
Yep, that's what I do.

Dr. Stab posted:

Get a password manager.
No. I'm pretty sure my way is easier. I don't need to rely on some loving app to run on and and synchronise across all my devices. I just know what my passwords are. Any site I want to log into, I just try what I know the password should be - and it is. And it's different to the password I use on any other site.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
but what do you do if you have to change a password every 3 months due to some stupid security policy, or if your password is in one of those big public leaks and you've gotta change it, or if a kind/roommate/crazy stalker/etc finds one of your passwords and figures out the pattern?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I do actually have a similar system for the most commonly used passwords (although it doesn't use sequences that can be found in a dictionary for obvious reasons) but I'm unable to consistently remember them because of brain problems. Great for people who can do it but there are all sorts of reasons why folks can't, plus dictionary attacks are pretty advanced these days. Even if most breaches are now thanks to e-mail falsification and sim hacking.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
If your password is in a public leak, they would have to use your password instead of all the other insanely easy ones, your algorithm should account for the date, and if the only place your password exists is in your mind, how would they find your password?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If your password is in a public leak it'll be a bot trying all the passwords, there (probably) isn't anyone individually targeting you. Either way, you have to at a minimum change the password for the account that got leaked.

My point is that, you can't have a simple algorithm that only works on the website name, since you need to be able to update it at some point. You can include the date in your cipher yeah but then you've gotta remember the specific date you 'chose' every password, since there are no hints in the website name alone. That's a huge PITA (i'd never be able to do it).

Your mind is never the only place your password exists, the companies/websites you're logging in to often have terrible computer security practices and can leak it, and as mentioned kids or roommates can just incidentally peek over your shoulder while you're typing. There's a huge list of breaches here on HaveIBeenPwned. Many are just personal information like email, name, real life address but some of those breaches contain hundreds or thousands or millions of passwords.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

but what do you do if you have to change a password every 3 months due to some stupid security policy
One of my uni passwords was like that. I just wrote it down. I don't think there's much damage that could have been done by someone getting into that account anyway. If there was a more important account that had a password requirement like that then it might be an issue, but it's never come up.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if your password is in one of those big public leaks and you've gotta change it
I come up with a new pattern and change all my passwords. Probably not a bad idea to do that once in a while anyway. Any sites I forget about, I just do a password reset the next time I come back to them.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

if a kind/roommate/crazy stalker/etc finds one of your passwords and figures out the pattern?
How would anyone find one of my passwords? They're not written down anywhere.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Changing all the passwords at once is a huge undertaking, especially since the whole point of the mnemonic system in the first place is that it's supposed to let you figure out your passwords on the fly without remembering every website you have a password on.
So then you stumble across a website that you vaguely remember registering for to log into once, months ago, and you have to figure out whether you used the v1 or v2 or v3 password pattern.

That kinda stuff is why I gave up on the password pattern thing and just started using a PW manager.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

So then you stumble across a website that you vaguely remember registering for to log into once, months ago, and you have to figure out whether you used the v1 or v2 or v3 password pattern.
I try the current password, and if it doesn't work then I reset it. :shrug:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

That sounds like a lot more work than just remembering a single secure password.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I just keep my database on a USB stick and plug it into whatever computer I'm using, because that amounts to a whole two devices, personal computer and work computer 🤷‍♂️

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

this is no small question, but certainly related—how close are we technologically to moving on from passwords? obviously we have faceid and touch stuff, but those only work locally afaik. and hell, are those even more secure?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

no its called keep rear end xc

i have no idea what plugin you are using or why on earth you would need it

i just put the encrypted mypasswords.kbdx file into a google drive folder that syncs to my desktop, laptop and phone
then i use the normal app without any special plugins to open that file and it Just Works(tm)

I used the one on the plugins page https://keepass.info/plugins.html

The specific problem is more that our ceo is super paranoid and sets our work emails to logout all the loving time, and it just so happened one of the logouts was just as I was opening the database, so it tried to reauth my gdrive access and this logout cancelled it, causing an unrecoverable corruption of my local database somehow that when I had logged back in to Google then propagated the corrupted database to the drive.

Personally I blamed the ceo's dumb constantly-forced-relogin policy.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

abelwingnut posted:

this is no small question, but certainly related—how close are we technologically to moving on from passwords? obviously we have faceid and touch stuff, but those only work locally afaik. and hell, are those even more secure?

I'm real tinfoil hatted about that poo poo and I assume Google would sell my fingerprints to every police dept on the planet if I gave it to them

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

The best explanation I've heard for touch ID is if your fingerprint gets stolen (and that is possible to do) then the average person will only be able to change their fingerprint 9 more times.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Generally the use of a password and nothing else is what will be deprecated, moving on to two- or even three-factor authentication: something you know (a password), something you have (a fingerprint, a retinal scan) and something you own (a phone, a digital key).

So it becomes less of an issue if someone steals your password because without your phone to use the rotating key mechanism used by things like Discord, Slack and Patreon, they can't do anything.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dr. Stab posted:

That sounds like a lot more work than just remembering a single secure password.

No password is secure if you're relying on the other side to not expose it in a data breach.

abelwingnut posted:

They aren't really more secure. It's possible to make printed biological analogs to fingerprints out of gelatin that are good enough to fool a print reader, so if someone's able to get your print data and your device, they can log in. I'm pretty sure you could fool FaceID with a photograph. Both of these also have a secondary issue that if you're interacting with American law enforcement, they can compel you to log into your device for them. They can't force you to divulge your password though.

Security is greatly improved if you have to provide multiple proofs of identity, a.k.a. two-factor authentication. This generally boils down requiring two out of "something you know" (password), "something you have" (token, badge, etc), and "something you are" (biometrics). It's a lot more work to break through two checks than just one. A lot of two-factor auths out there use your phone as the "thing you have", and send you an SMS key through the phone so that you can combine that with a password. SMS isn't that secure though -- a better option is to use an authenticator program, e.g. Google Authenticator. But those have a setup process to go through, which some users may find confusing. Using email as the "thing you have" is even worse since if your website password got cracked, odds are good your email password did too (because most people use one password for everything).

The general problem with authentication is that security is a pain in the rear end. It always has been, and I expect it always will be. So there's a conflict between people who want as smooth of an experience as possible, and people who want to make sure their privacy is respected. There's enough of the former that most companies aren't willing to make their security systems properly rigorous, because it'd drive users away. So we end up with the half-assed SMS/email-based two-factor auth everywhere.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Banking, online transactions, government & educational portals in my country have already moved to digital 2-factor auth. Remember one universal password and use it together with a one-time code you receive via an app contracted by the government. (ok 2 passwords, the app has its own).

I'm not sure if there are plans to implement biometrics. I think it might be a tall order for pensioners, but I can see it happening in the future. Or perhaps just a physical dongle. Either way, it would be part of a 2fa solution.

Adoption is near universal since, well... otherwise we wouldn't be able to pay taxes or get a doctor's appointment or a million other things. The system is relatively new though - some poo poo got messed up or delayed so a lot of portals still rely on the old solution, cards with a bunch of one-time codes that are mailed to residents, used in conjunction with a password. Which is just another flavour of 2FA.

The cards are being deprecated partly because scammers figured out that they could con gullible people into giving the password and sending a picture of the one-time codes. The consequences could be pretty devastating because that meant they could breach security dozens of times instead of just once.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 8, 2023

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

I just keep my database on a USB stick and plug it into whatever computer I'm using, because that amounts to a whole two devices, personal computer and work computer 🤷‍♂️

How do you log into things on mobile?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Slimy Hog posted:

And any employer with a sane security policy will disallow USB drives.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Slimy Hog posted:

View the password on my computer and type it into my phone using my eyes

How often do other people need to type passwords into their phones anyway? The Twitter and SA apps boot me out about once a year and I think those are the only apps I have that require a login

Not trying to be a shithead genuinely asking idk how other people use their phones

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 8, 2023

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Killingyouguy! posted:

My passwords are all auto-generated and usually quite long; typing this garbage
code:
gh7e#gi$KdLjE3@uMC^QSFEcD3oL9GeKFfD&z
into my phone is really annoying.

Killingyouguy! posted:

How often do other people need to type passwords into their phones anyway? The Twitter and SA apps boot me out about once a year and I think those are the only apps I have that require a login

I have TONS of things that require logins on mobile, I'm honestly surprised you only have two...

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No password is secure if you're relying on the other side to not expose it in a data breach.

Sure, but, it's less work and less exposure to use a manager versus mirroring your semi-secure password scheme across all sites, and coming up with different schemes every time there's a breach. With random passwords on each site, a breach just means you change the password on that site to a different randomly generated password and move on.

For most people, the google account is already a single point of failure as access to your email gives you recovery access to all of your accounts. Putting your database on your google drive would require access to your email and also a way to break the encryption on the database.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Slimy Hog posted:

My passwords are all auto-generated and usually quite long; typing this garbage
code:
gh7e#gi$KdLjE3@uMC^QSFEcD3oL9GeKFfD&z
into my phone is really annoying.

I mean same but given having to do that is like a twice yearly thing I guess I just put up with it

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm pretty sure you could fool FaceID with a photograph.

No you can’t lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Killingyouguy! posted:

Not trying to be a shithead genuinely asking idk how other people use their phones

This is a pretty weird question to ask. A lot of people don't really use computers for anything that doesn't specifically require using a big keyboard. Everything is done on phones, and pretty much every workplace, school etc will have at least one mobile platform you need to log on to. And because of two-step verification I need to log into things on my phone to log into things on my computers