Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

hatty posted:

I have the Ultimate and I think I prefer how the Pro controller feels in the hand and it’s face buttons, but the Ultimate has a better dpad and the sticks feel a bit tighter which I like. Do you have any complaints about the Pro controller specifically?

Not really; It's a great controller, and it lasted a good 5 years. Truth be told its still usable; I just have been noticing a bit of stick deadzone drift that is just now starting to make itself apparent and even then it is very slight (though it will probably only get worse from there, which is why I am looking into a replacement).

I had just heard good things about 8Bitdo and the prices are about the same so I was wondering if it was worth getting that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The 8bd is better, if you're ok with giving up the ability to turn the Switch on with it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dabir posted:

The 8bd is better,

I will need to consider...

Dabir posted:

if you're ok with giving up the ability to turn the Switch on with it.

Nevermind! :v:

EDIT: I did a quick search and apparently it can wake the Switch?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The wired one can, but not the wireless, iirc. It’s definitely the worst thing about their otherwise fantastic controllers.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i missed the goty thread party because i was playing monster hunter world for the last 12-13 hours or so

i'm gonna go ahead and add it to my 2023 list. see you in december

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

You never go wrong with grass

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Thanks to Rarity and VG for another incredibly GOTY thread. See you all next year!

haveblue posted:

Trying to get into Snowrunner and I don't seem to understand how to get the basic game loop off the ground. I finished the guided startup quest and now the only tasks I have listed are all contracts that require driving all over the map. The only trucks I have are one which can carry no cargo but mostly fumble its way through mud and one that can carry lots of cargo but gets instantly bogged down if it goes ten feet outside the garage. What am I supposed to be doing at this point?

Using your little truck to scout, you can open as much of the map as possible. One thing that isn't obvious is that the Michigan map is actually like three or four maps glued together, and you need to go between those sub-maps to finish some of the quests.

Here is the advice I received when I asked the same question you did in the CSPAM games thread:

quote:

You need to upgrade the big truck. There are 3 free upgrades for the fleetstar on the first map. AWD and raised suspension are most important, and once you get the suspension you can buy bigger tires at the garage. Tires make a real big difference

quote:

To add to what others have posted, tires really are one of the most important upgrades. A decent way to start any area is to just explore around with whatever your best scout is. Hit up the watchtowers, grab any upgrades you stumble upon, accept every job you encounter (so they’re always accessible from your menu), and claim/recover any vehicle you can. After that, do some of the easier jobs so you can level up a few times and get access to better tires. Generally, the biggest tires you can slap on your truck are the best, and raised suspension upgrades let you use bigger tires. Also, broadly, for Michigan you should use off-road tires, for Alaska use snow chains, and for Taymyr use mud tires. Using a lower gear can make it easier to traverse through mud, and the winch can help get you out of basically anything so long as you have something to grab. Beyond that, feel free to gently caress around

Oh yeah, an additional pro-tip: since anything you buy you can sell back for the same amount, trailer stores are a great place to get free repairs and gas without going back to the garage. Just buy a fuel/maintenance trailer, top yourself up, and sell it back. Also, if you haven’t figured it out yet (took me a while), you can hop between any vehicle you own on the map/in your garage through the menu. Makes it easy to find a truck, claim it, recover it to the garage, and then swap back to the vehicle you were originally using

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I was playing Vampire Survivors this morning when it was still dark out and now I think I'm getting a migraine. Game owns.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

VS always gives me a.. if not exactly a headache the feeling that I should probably go outside and get some fresh air after I've been playing it for a bit. Maybe it's concentrating intently at a single point on the screen or something I dunno.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

a reminder that AGDQ 2023 starts today, though it is regrettably once more online only. sucks, but the terrible economic situation would probably make an in-person thing impractical even if there weren't an ongoing global pandemic as it is

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Vermain posted:

a reminder that AGDQ 2023 starts today, though it is regrettably once more online only. sucks, but the terrible economic situation would probably make an in-person thing impractical even if there weren't an ongoing global pandemic as it is

breath of the wild, crash bandicoot and symphony of the night on the first day, thats stacked

theres no easy way to play symphony of the night on PC right?

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jan 8, 2023

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

JollyBoyJohn posted:

breath of the wild, crash bandicoot and symphony of the night on the first day, thats stacked

theres no easy way to play symphony of the night on PC right?

You can use RetroArch's DuckStation (PS1), YabaSanshiro (Sega Saturn), or PPSSPP (PSP) emulator core. I've tested that DuckStation and PPSSPP also work on a low-end smartphone, but I haven't played a Sega Saturn game on it

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 8, 2023

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Vermain posted:

Plus it was originally planned to be held in person in Florida and Florida politics poo poo wasn't sitting well with them so they made the right decision to move it to online and break off the deal with the Florida venue.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

sometimes I say "GG," even when the g was not g

when it was in fact, b

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Hwurmp posted:

when it was in fact, b

:mods:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sometimes I say gg when I'm not even playing a game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Hwurmp posted:

when it was in fact, b

Bood Bame

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

sometimes I say 'gl' even when I don't want the other person to have good luck. When I want the luck to be mine.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hwurmp posted:

when it was in fact, b

These thoughtcrimes must be answered for

rox
Sep 7, 2016

i say 'have fun' because i want every one to have fun :)

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I've gotten into the habit of saying "thanks game" or "really game?" sarcastically to things that happen IRL. Even I think it's kinda weird ngl

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

VS always gives me a.. if not exactly a headache the feeling that I should probably go outside and get some fresh air after I've been playing it for a bit. Maybe it's concentrating intently at a single point on the screen or something I dunno.

i played that game a week or two ago after making a joke about how it's like old flash games and needed to actually try it myself to see if I was off base or not and was briefly worried I'd get sucked into the game forever. Looks like I blew 7 hours on it, but I've managed to not binge on it since. Had some weird VS dreams that night and since then have been clean. Nice try, pavlov.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

VS is addicting but it's not the kind of game I can truly waste my entire life on unless it's got some 1/10,000 probability loot drops. Then I'd be in trouble.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

VS is addicting but it's not the kind of game I can truly waste my entire life on unless it's got some 1/10,000 probability loot drops. Then I'd be in trouble.

Thinkin about those red boxes

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's probably not too much of an exaggeration to say that the RED BOX permanently rewired some neurons up there. Life has never been the same since.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
So I finally decided to play vampire survivors and... it's okay?? I get the appeal just, doesn't grab me particularly

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

So I finally decided to play vampire survivors and... it's okay?? I get the appeal just, doesn't grab me particularly

the most fridge corn post

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
what does the third mario brother look like

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s Wario

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Maruigi

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Khanstant posted:

what does the third mario brother look like

The third Mario brother is a sister

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

wuggles posted:

Thanks to Rarity and VG for another incredibly GOTY thread. See you all next year!

Using your little truck to scout, you can open as much of the map as possible. One thing that isn't obvious is that the Michigan map is actually like three or four maps glued together, and you need to go between those sub-maps to finish some of the quests.

Here is the advice I received when I asked the same question you did in the CSPAM games thread:

Thanks, this does help. I have a scout-class truck now (I guess you can just steal whatever trucks you find lying around?) so hopefully that will make exploration less of a burden

"Death Stranding with trucks" was more or less what I expected when I bought it, but I didn't expect that getting from point A to point B would be so difficult at first, or that the easiest assignments to discover would actually be the hardest ones

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 8, 2023

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the most fridge corn post

Like I'll play it if I'm bored on a train and it will amuse me but like hell will it get anywhere near my goty list

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Empty gamer calories (imo)

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I bet it would if it was on a Playstation

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

I bet it would if it was on a Playstation

It might have a slightly better chance yes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

frytechnician posted:

Ico remains firmly in the "Games I wish I could experience for the first time again after a total Eternal Sunshine-style memory wipe" camp, along with DS1, Sekiro, Earthbound, Shadow of the Colossus and #1 contender, Outer Wilds.

Ico owns hard and everyone should play it.

I also discovered that the puzzles in the american version have been dumbed down a little compared to the european and japanese version.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Alhazred posted:

I also discovered that the puzzles in the american version have been dumbed down a little compared to the european and japanese version.

thats nothing the americas got a way more ACTION box art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

If they really wanted Ico to have been successful in the states they should have given him a gun and done the backturned look toward the camera.