Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It's hard to go up against Foster but modern Val is really knocking it out of the park with this fun torch-lit night battle.

Vargo posted:

Heart of the City

Curtis

I thought we were getting a hat ladys strip from the first two panels and I am extremely disappointed

I wanna give credit to Heart for telling about four good jokes in the last week. This is a dramatic improvement over the often zero and it it keeps it up it'll be a pretty good strip.

And I for one find this wonderful cartoony man busting a choir groove to be outstanding. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah the guy dancing is cool

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

This story would have worked much better if it was Ed wanting to buy a motorbike.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ed should buy a boat and be miserable about it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 1/7/03

Brenda Starr 3/2-4/50

Smokey Stover 3/23/52

Everyday Movies 12/20/35

"I have a dollar-fifty left, so I suppose we should get something for your father."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/27-29/40

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kennel posted:

Dustin

This story would have worked much better if it was Ed wanting to buy a motorbike.

sling blade?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yeah, you know, like a pole sword

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hwurmp posted:

Yeah, you know, like a pole sword

Yeah or a bill hook or hedge slasher. But that's not the usual depiction of Death.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cutty stick
extreme hoe
long hurter

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Medenmath posted:

Prince Valiant

Oh my

Normally this setting doesn't have much obvious magic, but today we get Aleta casting Meteo

God drat. Does this exonerate Val of breaking the secret pact Dialyod had with Camelot if it was a meteor that killed him?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth on the everyday hubris of complacency.

Peanuts (January 11, 1976)

:siren:TODAY'S CRANKSHAFT IS MISSING. HOW WILL WE EVER SURVIVE?:siren:

Oh, that's right...welcome to Crankshaft Crankback (October 22, 1987)

Popeye

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 8, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

FoxTrot

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Kennel posted:

Dustin

How committed were they to this whole pole-vaulting thing that they made it accommodate both the daily AND Sunday print schedule?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I know it's cartoon-land and the class probably isn't realistic at all, but there's no way they just hand everyone a 15-foot pole the first day and let them rip. When I was in undergrad, one of my friends got really excited that he could sign up for fencing. He showed up to the first day of class and was asked to do a 20 minute cardio warm up before learning some basic, swordless drills. He dropped the class on the spot.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Holy poo poo. A funny Crankshaft.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Professor Wayne posted:

I know it's cartoon-land and the class probably isn't realistic at all, but there's no way they just hand everyone a 15-foot pole the first day and let them rip. When I was in undergrad, one of my friends got really excited that he could sign up for fencing. He showed up to the first day of class and was asked to do a 20 minute cardio warm up before learning some basic, swordless drills. He dropped the class on the spot.

This is why I make sure that every grappling class that I teach includes at least one cool fun technique, whether a basic throw or a simple submission (and at least one fundamental drill).

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Ed should do all three things out of raw spite.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I ... I am older than Ed loving Kudlick. This is a horrifying revelation. :smith:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Hooo boy, new year, and already I have a backlog. I'm sorry my friends, job and school at the same time makes me go crazy at times.

But not as crazy as Ballard Street!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

sling blade?

Some folks calls it a kaiser blade.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Huxley posted:

Some folks calls it a kaiser blade.

You are appreciated

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Storefri

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

lmao alright this one got me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Some Guy TT posted:

The Demons of Baseball

If the announcement is "to prove your commitment to the sport you need to cut off your families"...

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Zereth posted:

Comic Stripes 2023: DO AS NANCY SAYS
:agreed:

F Minus

:china:

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

:lol:

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Looks like she just didn't talk to them earlier because she thought they were dicks :ms:

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

The gag is going to be that they're all hotted up about meeting the hunky presumably-male author and it'll turn out to be an old lady! Guffaw!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

BigglesSWE posted:

Hooo boy, new year, and already I have a backlog. I'm sorry my friends, job and school at the same time makes me go crazy at times.

But not as crazy as Ballard Street!

I absolutely love Ballard Street. :allears:

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
I mean, it's an interesting theory, but how is Slylox going to prove it in court?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hippocrass posted:

I mean, it's an interesting theory, but how is Slylox going to prove it in court?

He doesn't need to prove anything. It's a kangaroo court.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Drakyn posted:

Looks like she just didn't talk to them earlier because she thought they were dicks :ms:

They knew that a man and a woman went in.

What gets me is that lion-woman is wearing modern, intact clothing
And they find one corpse.

I mean, the Phantom seems like a bright guy in the deductive reasoning department. Fairly broad coincidence, ain’t it?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 22, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 2-3, 1992)

Big Nate

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I love Tauhid and his work but I think he needs to stop using one of the most well known strips of all time as direct inspiration.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/27-29/49

wait, Russian roulette?

Some fine faces on Seminole Sam in this batch.

Archie 3/4-6/46

Bonus news story!

I looked into this and it got even weirder: along with being immortal, Hiram BeBee also claimed that he was really Harry Longabaugh, aka the Sundance Kid, who had somehow survived the fatal shootout in Bolivia in 1908. In any case, his sentence was commuted to life imprisonment, and he died in prison in 1955, which must have come as quite a surprise.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
It's A Sketchy Life for January 6, 1927. We're coming in strong to the age of the talkies with an issue so full of treats I was tempted to do this one in two loads. First, an amazing Will Rannells cover.

John Held Jr.:

Russell Patterson:

LJ Holton:

Fred Cooper goes back to the menagerie:

Alice Harvey:

Gluyas Williams:

And two from Ned Hilton:

A little more than usual. You have my word I'll probably slack off again next week.

(e: cos I had second thoughts on one of these)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 9, 2023

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Of Rabbit Dads and Ghosts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Hostile V posted:

Of Rabbit Dads and Ghosts

A rabbit has a blind spot right in front of its nose. This is why it's best to approach rabbits from the side if you're trying to pick them up.