Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
At least one game has done the Spotify thing before. It was in that indie followup by the Burnout devs, iirc. But I think that also explicitly tapped into console-native Spotify and you had to have a subscription for it to work?

It was an incredibly clunky last resort for a game with an extremely limited budget and I don't think it would fly in a AAA style release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I remember the same thing in Odyssey, walking up to the leader of a Spartan military camp to join them in battle, then getting my poo poo instantly wrecked by a hostile army because "assassinate" is the same button as "talk to" depending on where you're standing relative to someone :suicide:

Or in Odyssey, accidentally knocking out a target you were supposed to kill and there's no 'kill unconscious person' button. Trial and error solved that one, at least, when I pulled out a torch and set the unconscious dude on fire.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I was complaining the other day about Sports Story feeling slow because you couldn't speed up the dialogue, even though you could in the previous game in the series.

They sent out a big bug fix update today that also addresses that.....by adding a button that just skips straight ahead to the next dialogue line regardless of how far you are into the current one
:negative:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, a bit of an effortpost here, but Code Vein, which is basically anime vampire Dark Souls, though I enjoyed it a lot, has a lot of things that come together to make it feel worse than it should.

First off, I need to talk about some of the core systems: Blood Codes (essentially classes), skills and levels. in Code Vein you do not level your stats, instead levels increase your HP, stamina and bonuses from scaling. All your stats come from Blood Codes, which are essentially equipable stat lines, so you start with like Fighter, which has B+ Strength and B Dex, but garbage caster stats, and Mage which has D+ and C str/dex, but B/B+ in caster stats. You can switch these at any time, so your build can swing from one end of the scale to the other in moments if you wish. Each of these classes has skills too, which you buy with haze (the game's equivalent of souls/runes), then you fight enemies a bunch to unlock the skills for other classes.

The first, most glaring issue with the design is that each area has an invisible level, and if you go over that level then enemies in the area stop providing the xp for your skills. Which means that if you level up enough to have the expected durability for the current area you are unable to go to earlier areas and beat up the easier enemies there to unlock those skills for other classes, and you can even level up enough that no enemy in the game can give skill xp. Nowhere in game can you find these level ranges, other than by going over them and observing you can't get xp any more.

And while that is the most glaring issue, there are others that I noticed later when I was wondering why I wasn't having fun doing things like collecting items.

So Code Vein essentially strips equipment down to two pieces, your weapon (you can equip two, they don't effect each other so you can fat roll with one and quick roll with the other), and armor. Weapons are obviously how you do most of your damage for most of the game, but additionally controls your block ratings. Weapons are divided into five general types. Armor not only controls, well, armor, but it also controls your casting stats as well as your parry/backstab and special drain attacks, and are divided into four types.

Part of the problem is that there just isn't that much variety to what you find, and what variety there is just doesn't really make you feel good for finding something new. For instance there are 13 different one handed swords (without DLC), and many of them share certain movesets (like 4 or more have the same light attack string, for instance), and only two of twelve have even a gimmick as minor as 'this weapon does (a teeny tiny amount) of fire damage'. One of the weapon categories also has the problem where the entire category. intended to be used in caster builds, is pretty much nerf bats, with heavy attacks that shoot the enemy, which sounds useful, but the shots are slow, weak, extremely low range, and use resources that you would rather use on spells or buffs.

Armor runs into a different problem, where one type is pretty much way better than all the others. Now the special attacks controlled by your armor include backstabs, parries/ripostes, a combo move and a special charged attack. These are one of the main gimmicks of the game, as pulling one off increases the cap on your Ichor/MP until you next die/rest, and refill a lot of MP in the process as well (the other method of getting MP is just regular attacks). Two categories have good, quick parries, but their charged attacks are basically touch range, the third has a ranged stab for its charge but worse parry timing, and the fourth, while having the crappiest timing for parries, has a charge attack that can be moved freely, including around corners, letting you ambush the many ambushers, draw enemies individually, start nearly every battle on your own terms and with more MP, but is also the category with the lightest armors and the armors with some of the best magic scaling (the best for one, second best for both types on another which is also the lightest armor in the game). It is extremely difficult to get excited about most armor types when one type just feels so much better than the others.

The limited and shallow pool of equipment is only one part of why collecting things is so boring though. You don't find equipment most of the time, instead most of the time you find one of three things: a consumable, a crafting material or a presents. Consumables are extremely boring as usual, quite limited in variety, but also generally weaker than the equivalent skill, like an elemental weapon buff being 5% for 10 seconds on the item, or 20% for 30 as a skill. Crafting materials you find in the field are divided into equipment upgrade materials (in 4 levels, meaning once you upgrade the gear you want for the current tier it stops being an exciting reward until you hit the next tier of material) and skill upgrade material, which allows you to skip grinding skill xp in return for anywhere from 5-15 of the material and a bunch of haze (souls), on a per skill basis. When you collect the materials in ones and twos it doesn't really feel worth it when you could get xp for like 4-8 at once by fighting.

Worst though are presents. Now presents are a cool idea. You go back to home base, chat with your friends and can give them presents to get trading points for getting usable things back. This is neat! However you pretty much need a spreadsheet to figure out what to give to who, but also what you can get from someone is limited: NPCs will trade you consumables you can already get (and probably have already overstocked on), a unique consumable that increases your max MP (kind of useful for boss runs where you don't fight before them, so would normally go in at minimum), Their weapon if they have one (for 50 trade points, the most a gift will get you is 5), some social things (gestures and stamps to attach to gestures), and equipment imbuement material. Now each NPC only sells one type of imbuement material, and remembering what each one does can also be a pain in the rear end because of their names. Which material adds poison to your weapon, Hermes, Hephaestus, Prometheus or Atlas? The names doesn't really help. This is also the only way to get 8/12 of the imbuement items.

This all combines to make finding items disappointing, since consumables are largely less useful than skill based equivalents while presents can get you neat stuff but it is hidden behind like three layers of bullshit to find it.

Another type of item exists, related to skills, crystalized memories. Now because you are anime vampire Megaman you gain classes from other characters, and by viewing their memories you unlock new skills to buy. These are the most exciting to pick up because you get a story vignette and a new skill to play with, but it is also buried behind too many steps. You need to go back to base, watch their memory, have a conversation with a related character, then buy the skill at a resting spot, then you need to grind it out or buy it out to use it for other classes.

The NPCs who aren't part of your crew also feel very disappointing. For one, there aren't very many, with only a single merchant in the game who isn't at your home base, and around 9 total. All of them at least have multi-stage quests behind them, but the quests are basic and have no fail conditions, and the rewards that you get from the NPCs themselves are extremely disappointing. At best you get an item that teaches you a skill, often one you will never need (recover 3 healing items when you grab your bloodstain? why), but mostly you get low level currency items (that you won't use because there are no merchants to buy from). Some of them will send you to bonus dungeons that have new, even unique weapons, but because they don't come from the NPC themselves it doesn't feel connected to them.

Despite all this I do think the game is pretty good. Most of this only starts to feel significant on run 2+, my first playthrough I was quite happy with everything, I didn't notice most of this until near the end of my second run. I would recommend this game, albeit when it is on sale.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ashsaber posted:

So, a bit of an effortpost here, but Code Vein

Code Vein's a fun game, but it's not super deep or engaging, mechanically. I'd still play a sequel though.

IIRC the literal strongest weapon in the game, the first real two handed sword you get, comes from like the first area in the game and also can be upgraded to have a 100% damage reduction with block very easily, I spent the entire game just walking around hitting things with a very powerful sword and never really having any issues with it or any of the systems and wondered why every weapon in the game was so weak compared to my beginner sword. :shepface:

Also the DLC sucks. They just kind of transplant God Eater boss fights into this game, which is not a god eater game.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I remember in one of the WWE games I had you could import music from your Xbox to use. This was obviously before streaming music.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I remember in one of the WWE games I had you could import music from your Xbox to use. This was obviously before streaming music.

The original Xbox was pretty much the only console to ever support this, and it’s a drat shame.

I think it also had some kind of weird system in place where it was really bad at pulling music from burned CDs, which was intentional because of piracy/licensing concerns, and is I assume why everyone else stopped trying.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Dewgy posted:

The original Xbox was pretty much the only console to ever support this, and it’s a drat shame.

I think it also had some kind of weird system in place where it was really bad at pulling music from burned CDs, which was intentional because of piracy/licensing concerns, and is I assume why everyone else stopped trying.

Yeah now that you said that it was on the original Xbox. Yeah I always wondered why they stopped, that's interesting.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Bogmonster posted:

In the Assassin's Creed Valhalla DLC, Wrath of the Druids, there's a bunch of repeatable missions which have special "kings pleas". These are parameters like "don't take damage", "don't get detected" and "kill only the targets".

For this last one, I just did a mission perfectly without being seen, killing all three targets without anyone else noticing, and only had to go and confirm the kill. You do this by pressing triangle near the body.

Guess which button is also "hurl the dead guy's sword at the nearest enemy soldier, triggering a huge alarm and losing your bonus"?

context buttons that change at the last second are the worst best and remind me of the Hawaii nuke test. or the test nuke?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've just beaten The Case of the Golden Idol, and my opinion is that it's too short by just one case. The final case in which the leader of the order and his henchmen perish is an interesting one to be sure, but having him taken out by Peter Battey of all goddamn people simply because of some love spurned and not anything important feels very anticlimactic. I feel like a better result would've been the main henchman perishing in this chapter and the idol breaking as well, followed by a final chapter in which an attempted use of a malfunctioning idol kills the head of the order.

Also I'm peeved at myself that I didn't realize that Lazarus Heater was Edmund Cloudsely until I realized why he was going after Mary Battey. It's so obvious in hindsight, I just never connected the report of Edmunds death and Lazarus' sudden appearance for some reason.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dewgy posted:

I never had problems with burned CDs myself thankfully. Legends of Wrestling would not have been the same without wrestling entrances featuring my brother's mix of cheesy Europop/trance anthems.

I also still associate Swedish rock group The Hives with me playing GTA: Vice City using the custom radio station on the OG Xbox, especially their song "Die, All Right!"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Morpheus posted:

I've just beaten The Case of the Golden Idol, and my opinion is that it's too short by just one case. The final case in which the leader of the order and his henchmen perish is an interesting one to be sure, but having him taken out by Peter Battey of all goddamn people simply because of some love spurned and not anything important feels very anticlimactic. I feel like a better result would've been the main henchman perishing in this chapter and the idol breaking as well, followed by a final chapter in which an attempted use of a malfunctioning idol kills the head of the order.

Also I'm peeved at myself that I didn't realize that Lazarus Heater was Edmund Cloudsely until I realized why he was going after Mary Battey. It's so obvious in hindsight, I just never connected the report of Edmunds death and Lazarus' sudden appearance for some reason.

It's a matter of taste, but for me that was honestly my favourite part: Lazarus was a guy who was absolutely obsessed with careful planning and intrigue. In several scenes you can see him obsessively taking notes on the people he's working with and his plans. And he's good at it, too, managing to suborn first the secret society, then the nobility, and finally all of the government. But when it comes to getting his wife-to-be back, for once he doesn't even bother to plan it with any particular care, because it's just a minor errant to him compared to taking over the country. And then when he goes to do it, who is there but Peter loving Battey with an actual cannon blowing him into tiny pieces. All of Lazarus' careful plans and meglomaniac plots dashed to pieces because he discounted his idiot nephew with a penchant for heavy artillery. A tale of absolute hubris getting its due. :allears:

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Dewgy posted:

OG Xbox and 360 had the ability to store MP3s on them, so you could import theme music directly in some of the SvR games. Nowadays if you want custom themes you gotta mod them in and it's a bit of a hassle

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Perestroika posted:

It's a matter of taste, but for me that was honestly my favourite part: Lazarus was a guy who was absolutely obsessed with careful planning and intrigue. In several scenes you can see him obsessively taking notes on the people he's working with and his plans. And he's good at it, too, managing to suborn first the secret society, then the nobility, and finally all of the government. But when it comes to getting his wife-to-be back, for once he doesn't even bother to plan it with any particular care, because it's just a minor errant to him compared to taking over the country. And then when he goes to do it, who is there but Peter loving Battey with an actual cannon blowing him into tiny pieces. All of Lazarus' careful plans and meglomaniac plots dashed to pieces because he discounted his idiot nephew with a penchant for heavy artillery. A tale of absolute hubris getting its due. :allears:

Yeah, I could see that being the case. Might be I just felt there was too much going on in that final case for that event to have the weight it deserves.

Will say this though, though I think the game is one case short for plot purposes, I don't feel like the game is too short overall. It's basically a small box filled to bursting with deduction, no filler, definitely gave me the same bursts of reasoning that Obra Dinn did.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I really enjoy the improvements to Persona 5 over 4 (I'm actually playing Royal, but never played the original so I dunno what's new)....

Minus the "stealth" thing they added to dungeons. It's not super hard or anything, just kind of annoying. I'm trying to zone out to some music while going through the dungeons (I play before bed since it's sort of a VN), not peek around corners to play some rudimentary stealth game.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
With enough ranks in Ryuji's confidant, you get silent running and eventually an instakill on weak enemies, and the stealth system becomes completely redundant. Until then, I'm pretty sure that simply sticking to the wall is enough, and you don't have to actually be hidden from view to be in stealth.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
Thought I'd give Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord a go seeing as its supposedly reached 1.0 and its weirdly........hollow?

This is my first M&B game so I don't know if the series is all like this, but making the map traversal entirely overworld disconnects you massively from the setting, its like the whole game is on fast forward. There's no need to go into towns and castles, you can speak to the people you need from the overworld menu. If you do decide to go for a wander, its like walking through a cardboard film set with some extras milling about. So far I've seen forests, Mongolian style plains and snowy vistas, and they're all so.....flavorless because there was no effort needed to get there, nor detail in the world that suggests it was carefully crafted. It's soulless.

Plus, in the four hours I put in this afternoon there seem to be 3 types of mission so far....defeat X number of bandits, bring some supplies from one camp to another, or sneak into a poorly defended "hideout" where all the enemies are dotted along a canyon one by one, until you reach a dude at the end who wants to duel you. You can refuse and just let your troops kick the poo poo out of him. I mean, cool, but.....zero effort?

It's like they made all the systems for a good game, and forgot the whole "making a coherent world" bit. You move a piece around the overworld. You go to a town. Someone in the town tells you to go and kill bandits. You move your little game piece to some bandits. It drops you into combat, which boils down to telling your troops to charge and getting in the odd blow. You win. You go to another town. Repeat.

Is this just the early game, or is it all like this? I feel strangely disconnected from it. Its like playing snapshots of a good game, tacked together with hot glue.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RGX posted:

Thought I'd give Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord a go seeing as its supposedly reached 1.0 and its weirdly........hollow?

This is my first M&B game so I don't know if the series is all like this, but making the map traversal entirely overworld disconnects you massively from the setting, its like the whole game is on fast forward. There's no need to go into towns and castles, you can speak to the people you need from the overworld menu. If you do decide to go for a wander, its like walking through a cardboard film set with some extras milling about. So far I've seen forests, Mongolian style plains and snowy vistas, and they're all so.....flavorless because there was no effort needed to get there, nor detail in the world that suggests it was carefully crafted. It's soulless.

Plus, in the four hours I put in this afternoon there seem to be 3 types of mission so far....defeat X number of bandits, bring some supplies from one camp to another, or sneak into a poorly defended "hideout" where all the enemies are dotted along a canyon one by one, until you reach a dude at the end who wants to duel you. You can refuse and just let your troops kick the poo poo out of him. I mean, cool, but.....zero effort?

It's like they made all the systems for a good game, and forgot the whole "making a coherent world" bit. You move a piece around the overworld. You go to a town. Someone in the town tells you to go and kill bandits. You move your little game piece to some bandits. It drops you into combat, which boils down to telling your troops to charge and getting in the odd blow. You win. You go to another town. Repeat.

Is this just the early game, or is it all like this? I feel strangely disconnected from it. Its like playing snapshots of a good game, tacked together with hot glue.

Assuming it's like the first name you're gonna want to join one of the factions and participate in some real wars.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Red Minjo posted:

With enough ranks in Ryuji's confidant, you get silent running and eventually an instakill on weak enemies, and the stealth system becomes completely redundant. Until then, I'm pretty sure that simply sticking to the wall is enough, and you don't have to actually be hidden from view to be in stealth.

Good to know, thank you! It clearly didn't seem like MGSV levels of stealth, which almost confused me MORE, because I'm wondering how "basic" the mechanics (the enemy's range of vision, mostly) are. I almost wandered right into one of the guards dudes in the first dungeon and it didn't spot me, but I wasn't sure how much was tied to the game difficulty level that you chose.

I wasn't expecting to since I Don't Care for cats, but Morgana > Teddy, hands down, so far...assuming they keep Morgana's horny-ness to a minimum. They will not.

Never mind, my partner informed me that, as far as he played, Morgana does very much wanna get with Ann. Dammit! The dog from 3 remains the best Persona animal companion!

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Jan 7, 2023

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable

Tenebrais posted:

Assuming it's like the first name you're gonna want to join one of the factions and participate in some real wars.

That sounds good, perhaps it just has a really flat early game and I'm judging it too soon. I thought if I ranged about a bit and knocked off as many missions as I could I'd run into something cool but so far no go. If its coming though, I'm happy to keep going with it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just beat the first boss fight of Death Stranding (minor BT spoilers ahead), which sucked at first because the game just sorta springs it on you but thankfully I had just strapped myself with a bunch of grenades, so I panicked and quickly took care of things. Once that was done, I started finishing up a few little things left around the first area because it looked like the next big story mission was a point of no return. I went back through a BT-infested, rocky area east of Port Knot City and nearly lost my poo poo a few times, but got through the other side and finished up a few more deliveries. BTs seemed to be not that bad so far, just don't be careless around rocky and uneven terrain, and be liberal with your grenades. Once that was done, I dropped a few things off in Capital Knot City, hopped back onto my bike, and started back to Port Knot City so I could continue the game. Crossed a bridge just east of Luden Fan's place, and got warned I was going into BT area. That's fine, they've been an issue so far but this particular stretch of land along the river doesn't have many rocks, so I should be able to just power on through.

Nope.

While following along the river bank, BB suddenly switched the antenna arm from pointing to my left and blinking slowly, to dead ahead and wailing. I heard a BT scream, I saw the round patch of black goo appear around me, and before I could react I was grabbed and dragged across the river, leaving my bike behind but carrying all my poo poo with me, apparently. A copy of the first boss appears out of nowhere, and before I even have a chance (less than 10 seconds, easily) it jumped out of the ground, slammed into me, and immediately killed me, zero chance to even equip a grenade and try to fight back. Cue a Voidout. Now I'm stuck across a medium-current river with no tools, and 135kg/120kg carry-load of stuff I was just taking to the Depot inbetween Capital and Port Knot Cities. Overencumbered, next to a huge crater, with no ladders to use to cross the rivers. :sigh:

I didn't know this could even happen. The fact that it fucks you over this hard with so little warning really ruined the whole play session, I just alt-f4ed and switched games. I figured once I saw one of these things crawl out of the harbor, it'd be a good idea to be careful around the coast--I didn't realize you had to be careful around any body of water

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
That sounds rad.

You had a rad Death Stranding experience.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

bawk posted:

While following along the river bank, BB suddenly switched the antenna arm from pointing to my left and blinking slowly, to dead ahead and wailing. I heard a BT scream, I saw the round patch of black goo appear around me, and before I could react I was grabbed and dragged across the river, leaving my bike behind but carrying all my poo poo with me, apparently. A copy of the first boss appears out of nowhere, and before I even have a chance (less than 10 seconds, easily) it jumped out of the ground, slammed into me, and immediately killed me, zero chance to even equip a grenade and try to fight back. Cue a Voidout. Now I'm stuck across a medium-current river with no tools, and 135kg/120kg carry-load of stuff I was just taking to the Depot inbetween Capital and Port Knot Cities. Overencumbered, next to a huge crater, with no ladders to use to cross the rivers. :sigh:

You got death stranded, son!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

credburn posted:

That sounds rad.

You had a rad Death Stranding experience.

I'd 100% agree if this happened during the other two or three times that I got too hasty around BTs after doubling back from Port Knot City, because it's a cool as gently caress emergent setpiece and ups the stakes around BT areas, but all the times I ran into BTs after PKC were just regular-rear end BTs. It's straight bullshit that, when it happened, it teleported all the poo poo I had attached to my bike around me instead of leaving it attached to the drat bike. I would have also loved if it had given me enough chance to fight back, since I literally just killed one of these things (but bigger) around 20 minutes ago. 30 seconds cutscene, 10 seconds to realize wtf happened and scramble for my hematic grenades, then being instantly dead for the first time since the inescapable cutscene death earlier in the game is some bullshit

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
More DS2 chat since I've almost finished it (I think)

The decision to depopulate areas was, to me, the opposite of a LTDTGD and was a welcome addition. It didn't make souls farming impossible since clearing every area would take forever but it eliminated the tedious boss runs and repetition involved with them. It was really nice that the game had an "enough already/time to move on" mechanic built into it.

But it's not a DS post by me unless I bitch so:

These games are so loving obtuse about giving you directions. I can't for the life of me imagine playing any of them without a wiki. I try to play blind as much as possible but the problem starts when I get a new key, NPC, triggering item or merchant because I'm gently caress all if I can remember where any of these things/people actually were or how to get back to that Big Door I Couldn't Open last week now that I have the "______________ thing" that opens it. I don't remember where that one locked door was from 3 levels back that I guess I can open now.

Maybe put "key that opens a door in the Zombie Catacombs" or "Ring that grants access to the King's door in The Castle of Monsters" in the item description? Help a hollow out here.

I've also learned the hard way to exhaust everyone's dialogue tree to get them to move around or convince them to sell and give me stuff but, holy poo poo. I got the King's Ring in DS2 just now and not sure why the game expects me to remember some big doors I stumbled upon 40 hours ago ot where the gently caress they are or where that one weird person was that wouldn't talk to me last week.

I also didn't like how one level invites me to use waste all of my Pharoah's Lockstones when, from all appearances, the level presents itself as those being vital to progress forward and solve puzzles. But they're all just traps.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

BiggerBoat posted:

I also didn't like how one level invites me to use waste all of my Pharoah's Lockstones when, from all appearances, the level presents itself as those being vital to progress forward and solve puzzles. But they're all just traps.

There are 2 of those levels actually.

Rat covenant was a pretty cool idea. You'd set up a bunch of traps in YOUR world, and then pull people in as sort of a reverse invasion.

The Belfry pvp covenant was pretty cool too.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

kazil posted:

There are 2 of those levels actually.

Rat covenant was a pretty cool idea. You'd set up a bunch of traps in YOUR world, and then pull people in as sort of a reverse invasion.

The Belfry pvp covenant was pretty cool too.

Huh

Don't think I've found the second one yet but I've learned my lesson at least in case I do.

Pretty sure I'm near the end game though. Got the King's Ring and found this weird area called something's Keep that's pretty wild and very difficult. Then again, my greyed out bonfire locations show like 4 or 5 more undiscovered areas so maybe not. Feels like I'm close to the finale though.

Related:

Does anyone like weapon durability in any game? BotW is the one that seemed to take this to absurd extremes and my 11 year old son bitches about it pretty much ruining the experience for him. Certain weapons in DS2 feel like they're made out of balsa wood when I try a new one out so I find myself sticking with the same 2 or 3 ones I've upgraded the most.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Does anyone like weapon durability in any game? BotW is the one that seemed to take this to absurd extremes and my 11 year old son bitches about it pretty much ruining the experience for him. Certain weapons in DS2 feel like they're made out of balsa wood when I try a new one out so I find myself sticking with the same 2 or 3 ones I've upgraded the most.

I can't think of one where I've liked it so much as tolerated it. In BotW at least, I can see that it makes me mix things up more than I'd choose to otherwise. Like in AssCreed, it's nice that they don't break, but the flipside is that I'm only ever picking whatever version of my favorite weapon type has the highest damage, and constantly toting around 40 or 50 weapons that I'll never touch except to sell off next time I go by a blacksmith.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

bawk posted:

I'd 100% agree if this happened during the other two or three times that I got too hasty around BTs after doubling back from Port Knot City, because it's a cool as gently caress emergent setpiece and ups the stakes around BT areas, but all the times I ran into BTs after PKC were just regular-rear end BTs. It's straight bullshit that, when it happened, it teleported all the poo poo I had attached to my bike around me instead of leaving it attached to the drat bike. I would have also loved if it had given me enough chance to fight back, since I literally just killed one of these things (but bigger) around 20 minutes ago. 30 seconds cutscene, 10 seconds to realize wtf happened and scramble for my hematic grenades, then being instantly dead for the first time since the inescapable cutscene death earlier in the game is some bullshit

ten seconds to realise there's a big enemy attacking you after a dragging cutscene is, uh. quite a long time.

you really want to push on with the main story for a bit imo, because you start getting more tools and equipment that allows you to deal with BTs more effectively. progressing past Port Knot is not a point of no return - you can find your way back to the starting zone later.

the boss fight that happens when you get Got by BTs is something that happens pretty much anywhere in the game. the only place it won't happen is if it'd gently caress things up to have a voidout crater there - you'll know this is the case because the BTs that swim after you are golden and kill you instantly. this is not a "wow, i blundered into a hidden optional boss fight??" moment, it's an "i failed a stealth section and received Consequences" incident

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

I can't think of one where I've liked it so much as tolerated it. In BotW at least, I can see that it makes me mix things up more than I'd choose to otherwise. Like in AssCreed, it's nice that they don't break, but the flipside is that I'm only ever picking whatever version of my favorite weapon type has the highest damage, and constantly toting around 40 or 50 weapons that I'll never touch except to sell off next time I go by a blacksmith.

I could see it working (a little bit) if a game introduced smithing stones or something you had to hunt down that toughen up your sword but, like you said, all this mechanic does is give you something additional to do when you go visit a blacksmith - or force you to go visit one.

I gotta admit though that it's kind of crazy and panic inducing in DS2 when your poo poo starts to break during a a boss fight since the game doesn't pause when you're switching poo poo out. Kind of tense on the few occasions it happened to me.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Huh

Don't think I've found the second one yet but I've learned my lesson at least in case I do.

Pretty sure I'm near the end game though. Got the King's Ring and found this weird area called something's Keep that's pretty wild and very difficult. Then again, my greyed out bonfire locations show like 4 or 5 more undiscovered areas so maybe not. Feels like I'm close to the finale though.

Related:

I think they fixed it, but originally DS2 durability was tied to frames. If you had a high frame rate your weapons would break super fast.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Been playing Streets of Rogue with my brothers and I gotta say, what drags it down is how pointless a bunch of the mechanics in the game are. You got different character types who do different things, there is all kinds of gear and gadgets, you can befriend NPCs and convince them to give you stuff or buy things off them...

But none of them compare to simply smashing things and people. I could lockpick a locked door, or I can just knock and then punch the person who opens it. If its wooden I can just smash the door down. I could hack cameras or security systems... Or I can just punch the cameras to break them, just 2 punches is all it takes. Whats that, a prison with multiple locked doors and a computer that controls them? I'm a dumb wrestler who can't use computers? No problem, just punch the computer and all the doors unlock. Locked steel doors with safes in them? Just kill one NPC and they considerately drop both a key and the combination to the safe.

We've done 3 full runs and they all kinda play out the same: Sell all the mission rewards so we have money for ammunition and keep a baseball bat and a sword on hand for when the ammo runs out. Safe crackers? Landmines? Teleportation items? Why bother when I can kill and/or smash everything?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

kazil posted:

I think they fixed it, but originally DS2 durability was tied to frames. If you had a high frame rate your weapons would break super fast.

FWIW, I'm playing SotFS edition and have some poo poo I wanna play around with but many of them break pretty fast. Halberds and spears mainly, which I think has something to do with how often they hit walls and poo poo but it's still annoying.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

BiggerBoat posted:

Does anyone like weapon durability in any game?

It does seem like it's pretty much always bad. BotW is one case where, while I hate it, I can at least see what they intended with it and it makes sense. Some games use it as just a money sink which also I can respect.

I could see it being used well to make a dungeon / adventure feel like a real excursion and dealing with attrition along the way but I can't think of any games that really use it that way, and games in general have moved away from attrition as a meaningful mechanic. Which I find a shame cuz I find "how do I get through this encounter while spending the fewest possible resources" to be an interesting question and the tension of watching your resources dwindle as you go through a dungeon or the like not knowing exactly how much longer you have to go with your rapidly depleting resources is exciting.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

BiggerBoat posted:

Does anyone like weapon durability in any game?

Dark Scavenger is an RPG/Point and click adventure that I think makes really good use of durability. Every screen has a couple pieces of loot to find. Your backup team is basically MacGuyver and can turn each one into either a weapon, item, or ally. Loot, and the gear you get from them, are all unique, so you'll be constantly accumulating a huge pile of different items with different effects, but they all have a single digit number of uses. Fights are all about finding good combos between your items, but since stuff is constantly running out you have to keep mixing things up instead of finding the one god combo.

You also use your gear during the point and click segments - items have traits (a spear might be long, metallic, and sharp, for example), and you can use any item with the appropriate trait, but it costs some of their durability, so there's also a tradeoff between wanting to use something in combat and wanting to keep a varied collection of stuff for the adventure segments.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I think Durability works well for Fallout New Vegas, because it gives a tradeoff on some of the more powerful guns.

I think the BotW Durability is hilarious in how angry it makes nearly everyone, but actually makes the game more fun if you embrace it. It's just that it goes against the ingrained video game habits and preferences of just about everyone - people want to find something that works and stick to it, not constantly be experimenting with new equipment.

It kind of reminds me of how many people get upset with games that have timers (like the original Fallout) even when the timer is incredibly generous.

On a completely different note, I wish games would move away from difficulty settings that are.. I don't know what you'd call them, normative maybe. The new Wolfenstein games are really bad for this - I know it's a callback to the old Wolfenstein 3D difficulties, but I really don't like how the lower difficulties are actually insulting to the player.

I've seen quite a few people over the years posting in here having bad times with games, and then it comes out they're playing on "instant vaporization" difficulty.

Just name them "Narrative", "Balanced", and "Challenging."

I remember one person in the Final Fantasy thread who was having a bunch of trouble with FF7 Remake, and it was because they had a lot going on in their life, and I can't help but think they would have had a much better time if they'd bumped down the difficulty, but I think a lot of people seem to have some deep-seated aversion to choosing "easy" difficulties.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Ah yes, the trade off of taking out a pack of bokoblins and losing multiple cool swords in exchange for some clubs. Love to leave each encounter worse than I entered

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

One of the neat things about BOTW is that you don't have to fight every bokoblin pack out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Len posted:

Love to leave each encounter worse than I entered

Ah, the Paper Mario Sticker Star school of game design