Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I could use a memory-deleting gun on any video games so I could play it brand new for the first time again, it would be Obra Dinn.

e: Second game I'd pick would be a tie between Dangan Ronpa 2 and the Hitman 2016 trilogy.

For me it would be Firewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

use your ignore list, it makes for a much better experience

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

Kragger99 posted:

That's because this thread is trash due to you and a couple others. I can't post about a game I like in fear of assholes like you jumping all over it. No idea how someone like you continues to stay on this site with a rap sheet like that. Makes me sad what this thread has become.

Pretty sure a mod will prob me for this post, but he/she's constantly enabling you anyway.

https://i.imgur.com/V2V5j1y.mp4

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Stop right now, thread. We're not doing this again today.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The fact that Ghost Trick isn't on Steam is drat near criminal

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Runa posted:

I remember hearing about it a lot a while ago! We need more investigation/detective games on the PC in general. I suppose they're really hard to write. I'd love a digital equivalent to those Sherlock Holmes tabletop games where you have a bunch of documents and you get to try to solve mysteries using the information in them. I know there've been a few like that but I want more.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 44 hours!

HopperUK posted:

im going to kill him with a sword

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

HopperUK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1F7vaNP9w0

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Stux posted:

too far. kragger has my protection

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Runa posted:

It might be coming to PC...
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ace-attorney-creators-ghost-trick-could-be-heading-to-pc

It'd be a good time for them to release it since low-poly looking stuff seems to be having a bit of a renaissance.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Stux posted:

This is just a hosed up thing to post.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Chas McGill posted:

It might be coming to PC...
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/ace-attorney-creators-ghost-trick-could-be-heading-to-pc

It'd be a good time for them to release it since low-poly looking stuff seems to be having a bit of a renaissance.

Cool, I have to check it out after I finish Bloodborne on pc

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Impermanent posted:

Fast travel should cost some medium priority resource (in a good game with a a good open world) so that players are incentives to actually travel between spots on the map.

Horizon Zero Dawn does this. I think it's a pretty game and worth gawping at the scenery.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Volte posted:

Is there some trick to making Tunic not feel just demoralizingly punishing without just turning on god mode or whatever? I got to a part where you have to get past some alligator things (along with some flying laser enemies that come out of the wall, for reference) which are easy enough to face by themselves, but there's one spot where multiple ones aggro simultaneously and it feels like it's not even possible to avoid death once that happens. I've probably made like 40 attempts over the course of a couple of weeks and not come close to doing it. I've beaten Sekiro without dying, but these motherfuckers are on another level. They run and attack too fast to run away (and seemingly chase you forever anyway, even if you could get away), they attack out of phase which each other so there's no opening for attacking, even blocking with the shield doesn't seem viable because I run out of stamina so quickly and half the time the angle isn't quite right so the block fails anyway. And I can only take like two or three hits from them before dying.

The game seems up my alley in theory but this is a brick wall and the level of punishing difficulty just seems totally at odds with the frankly undercooked combat system and ostensibly exploration oriented game design.

As others have said, those crcos are *assholes*. I think that's possibly the hardest 'not a boss' encounter in the entire game, I totally know the spot too. There are other hard fights, but you're generally prepped for them.

I think they'd be no shame in using a godmode for that one room, and turn it back off afterwards. The first 'git gud' boss fight happens shortly afterwards, with a secret about using the stat upgrades that the manual tells you about, which becomes a fair litmus for the combat proficiency in the rest of the game.

edit: Or just spam consumables at them and/or run past. Fudge those crocs, it took me forever to learn how to properly dodge them even if their gimmick is obvious (they have good speed and range, but their bite misses if you're moving laterally to them).

Serephina fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 8, 2023

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What the hells an s-word

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Foul Fowl posted:

i always demand respect from my games. for my time, my money, my life choices. i want those games to look at me like a marine looks at the sergeant when the sergeant says, you maggot, you loving worm, you're a dum bfucking rear end in a top hat, which is also what i say to the video games when i'm playing them and they don't respect me

More games should just have a slider for how much they respect you

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lord Lambeth posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn does this. I think it's a pretty game and worth gawping at the scenery.

Yeah for the 'tutorial' area, once you get to the main city there's an infinite re-use item.

Making fast travel cost any amount of consumables is dumb, if the game is nice enough people will want to explore the open world without fast travel.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

StarkRavingMad posted:

I cranked it all the way to 'respect' and now the game keeps spamming 'F' at me

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I've always thought "respect for the player" had to do with how many menial, repetitive tasks the game had you do.

"Go find me 45 bear asses by killing bears in that field that only has 30 bear spawns, oh and a bear rear end only has a 40% chance to drop."
"Travel over this gigantic empty expanse of land you can't meaningfully interact with to get to the next waypoint on the map. Repeat this for over half the game's missions."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 8, 2023

rox
Sep 7, 2016

StarkRavingMad posted:

yupppp

rox
Sep 7, 2016

GreatGreen posted:

I've always thought "respect for the player" had to do with how many menial, repetitive tasks the game had you do.

"Go find me 45 bear asses by killing bears in that field that only has 30 bear spawns, oh and a bear as only has a 40% chance to drop."
"Travel over this gigantic empty expanse of land you can't meaningfully interact with to get to the next waypoint on the map. Repeat this for over half the game's missions."

it's literally how much the npcs respect you and listen to what you ask instead of telling you to gently caress off or throw you in the brig

and it owns

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'd say that depends on your expectations going in. the assassin's creed games have repetitive icon-hunting as part of their identity at this point - they're not disrespecting your time, they're giving you what you asked for

something like persona 5's ten thousand repetitions of basic plot points would be closer to my view on it. stop giving me a recap of what i heard five minutes ago and get back to the thieving

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

haha what posted:

it's literally how much the npcs respect you and listen to what you ask instead of telling you to gently caress off

lol

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I cranked it all the way to 'respect' and now the game keeps spamming 'F' at me

I turned it the other way and now it won't stop shouting the gamer word

rox
Sep 7, 2016

my favourite fact about sentient is that they recorded an entire soundtrack for the game, and its pretty good too! but its not on the game disc because i guess they ran out of space?

so its included separately to play in a cd player while u play lol

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

haha what posted:

my favourite fact about sentient is that they recorded an entire soundtrack for the game, and its pretty good too! but its not on the game disc because i guess they ran out of space?

Sentient is an amazing thing, really ambitious for its time. Also a game I would probably never play myself, but I greatly enjoyed SuperGreatFriend's blind LP of it.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

StarkRavingMad posted:

Sentient is an amazing thing, really ambitious for its time. Also a game I would probably never play myself, but I greatly enjoyed SuperGreatFriend's blind LP of it.

haha yup that's exactly where i first heard of it

sgf rules

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

i'd say that depends on your expectations going in. the assassin's creed games have repetitive icon-hunting as part of their identity at this point - they're not disrespecting your time, they're giving you what you asked for

definitely think this, for the most part you should know what you're getting into with a game. pressed for time and angry about collecting pelts/finding mankrik's wife? maybe don't play an mmo or whatever.

additionally, a lot of the disrespectful busywork is optional. Same can't be said for unskippable cutscenes, but really they shouldn't be a reason you stop playing a game lol. Just take a break

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Sininu posted:

I know that place, it's where I ended up turning on the god mode :(

Ciaphas posted:

the crocs are such complete dicks.

Serephina posted:

As others have said, those crcos are *assholes*.
Well at least it's not just me. If this is truly the worst place in the game then I can try to power through, it's been pretty fun otherwise. Thanks for the tips everyone.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

haha what posted:

Reminds me of a game I had on the Spectrum when I was little that had a heavy metal track on the tape after the game data, so if you just let it keep playing you could listen to a really lovely, tinny rendition of the music while you played the game

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I bought the boomer shooter humble bundle last month and just want to make sure I can play these in any order. If not, which should come first?

Amid Evil
Dusk
Dread Templar
Forgive me Father
Hedon Bloodrite
Hellbound
Project Warlock

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

big cummers ONLY posted:

I bought the boomer shooter humble bundle last month and just want to make sure I can play these in any order. If not, which should come first?

Amid Evil
Dusk
Dread Templar
Forgive me Father
Hedon Bloodrite
Hellbound
Project Warlock

Dusk made me quite happy with its Blood vibes, I'd give it a go! Assuming you like horror and shotguns.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

Amid Evil
Dusk
Dread Templar
Forgive me Father
Hedon Bloodrite
Hellbound
Project Warlock

dusk and amid evil are so good they may spoil the others for you but other than that full speed ahead

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

big cummers ONLY posted:

Amid Evil
Dusk
Dread Templar
Forgive me Father
Hedon Bloodrite
Hellbound
Project Warlock

Only played Project Warlock, Amid Evil, and Dusk, and out of these I would start with Project Warlock.
It's good, but gets really bullshitty at higher level difficulties and easy to just quit on it.
The other two I keep going back to

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Tunic update: I'm up to 11 attempts against Garden Knight. So far none of the attempts has lasted past 2 seconds

edit: the last one ended so fast the boss health bar was still appearing on the screen after I respawned

edit2: game designers please do not make your camera freely rotate around the arena with an isometric projection, it looks like loving poo poo and is completely unreadable

Volte fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jan 8, 2023

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Back in Kamurocho, my dudes!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

StarkRavingMad posted:

what game is this

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Okay I think I'm finally done with Tunic once and for all. This Garden Knight boss is a complete slog. Most attacks take away 99% of my health and even though I have 5 estus flask charges, that still only just barely refills my health bar one time because each charge barely does anything, not that I often even have a chance to chug one. I do about 1/100th of its health per swing so the most I've ever held out was about one quarter of its health. Occasionally the same attack will hit me twice a quarter of a second, killing me instantly. Plus the isometric camera swinging around is completely mindfucking me.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Foul Fowl posted:

what game is this

sentient for ps1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Volte posted:

Okay I think I'm finally done with Tunic once and for all. This Garden Knight boss is a complete slog. Most attacks take away 99% of my health and even though I have 5 estus flask charges, that still only just barely refills my health bar one time because each charge barely does anything, not that I often even have a chance to chug one. I do about 1/100th of its health per swing so the most I've ever held out was about one quarter of its health. Occasionally the same attack will hit me twice a quarter of a second, killing me instantly. Plus the isometric camera swinging around is completely mindfucking me.

God mode?