Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Weka posted:

The war was with the Taliban, who were never defeated but merely lost control of territory. You have map brain.

The Gulf war ended with a negotiated settlement.

Nah the Taliban disbanded themselves in 2001 or early 2002. Only later when the US pissed everyone off and left a vacuum they reformed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/aloha9916/status/1611857324385116161

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

lobster shirt posted:

anne assholebomb

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The arrogance and ignorance of reality are breathtaking

European countries are boomers mentally even if their leaders are comparatively young

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I'm laughing very, very hard at the dinguses who careened headfirst into this thread insisting that Finland and Sweden would get into NATO before 2022 was up.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

No no you see it's irrational to believe that NATO represents a threat to Russia.

~ boldly attempts to drive a column of NATO pattern armour through the gates of their warmwater fleet homeport ~

What? Do a geopolitics? Me!?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Desiderata posted:

No no you see it's irrational to believe that NATO represents a threat to Russia.

~ boldly attempts to drive a column of NATO pattern armour through the gates of their warmwater fleet homeport ~

How DARE you suggest that NATO had anything to do with causing this war? Raaaaaaargjkhl;asdjg;ljr I'm so ANGRY

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

How DARE you suggest that NATO had anything to do with causing this war? Raaaaaaargjkhl;asdjg;ljr I'm so ANGRY

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1608817512929710080

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Chen can't miss.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Peter Zeihan was just on the Joe Rogan "Experience" to regurgitate his bs and blow Brogan's mind. He claims that at least 100,000 Russian soldiers are dead so far, while Ukrainian losses are only a third of Russia's. And he also claims that at least 250,000 Ukrainian civilians are already dead - there have been at least 70 massacres the size of Bucha or greater.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Desiderata posted:

Which is also why NATO would side with Turkey btw. Greece does not control the Bosphorus.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

isn’t Greece a lightly populated collection of denuded islands

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

there are only 10 million people in Greece lol. what the hell

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

going to war for alperen sengun

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

euphronius posted:

its because many of them were eaten by a fat greek in america

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

euphronius posted:

And 5 million live in Athens and 1 million in Thessaloniki.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

to be fair I guess most of old Greece is now like Afghanistan and Italy

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Has there been any recent polling about NATO membership in Sweden or Finland?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Pretty hosed of Robert Gates and Condoleezza Rice to deny Ukraine's agency like this
https://archive.ph/S2KzA

quote:

Time is not on Ukraine’s side
Meanwhile, although Ukraine’s response to the invasion has been heroic and its military has performed brilliantly, the country’s economy is in a shambles, millions of its people have fled, its infrastructure is being destroyed, and much of its mineral wealth, industrial capacity and considerable agricultural land are under Russian control. Ukraine’s military capability and economy are now dependent almost entirely on lifelines from the West — primarily, the United States. Absent another major Ukrainian breakthrough and success against Russian forces, Western pressures on Ukraine to negotiate a cease-fire will grow as months of military stalemate pass. Under current circumstances, any negotiated cease-fire would leave Russian forces in a strong position to resume their invasion whenever they are ready. That is unacceptable.

The only way to avoid such a scenario is for the United States and its allies to urgently provide Ukraine with a dramatic increase in military supplies and capability — sufficient to deter a renewed Russian offensive and to enable Ukraine to push back Russian forces in the east and south. Congress has provided enough money to pay for such reinforcement; what is needed now are decisions by the United States and its allies to provide the Ukrainians the additional military equipment they need — above all, mobile armor. The U.S. agreement Thursday to provide Bradley Fighting Vehicles is commendable, if overdue. Because there are serious logistical challenges associated with sending American Abrams heavy tanks, Germany and other allies should fill this need. NATO members also should provide the Ukrainians with longer-range missiles, advanced drones, significant ammunition stocks (including artillery shells), more reconnaissance and surveillance capability, and other equipment. These capabilities are needed in weeks, not months.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Has there been any recent polling about NATO membership in Sweden or Finland?
https://www.rferl.org/a/finland-nato-survey-membership/32145117.html
Russia's invasion has guaranteed public support will remain very high I imagine

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

speng31b posted:

they have agency (central intelligence)

The Ukrainian people have chosen to participate in NATO's mission of their own free will. Even if NATO had told them no, they would have still done it anyway because they are just that passionate and committed.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

isn’t Greece a lightly populated collection of denuded islands

even the mainland is just a bunch of unliveable rocks

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I mean, this is pretty easy to understand in terms of Great Power politics. Nobody liked Turkey but in the interest of maintaining a balance of power and containing the Russian Empire and Austrian Empire, Britain went to, or threatened to go to, war on behalf of Turkey several times in the 19th century. The basic calculus has not changed since the Crimean War, nobody will side with Greece, no matter what the public wants.

Modern Turkey exists because Britain and France needed it to, America was given the keys to the same arrangement.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Someone smarter than me ITT can explain all of the poo poo NATO and the US got up to leading up the the Turkish invasion of Cyprus, because that paints a pretty clear picture of where loyalties lie.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lmfao at the zimbabwe and mongolia flags

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

War is peace.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

yellowcar posted:

lmfao at the zimbabwe and mongolia flags

vatican city being one of the bad guys is making me lol

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lobster shirt posted:

vatican city being one of the bad guys is making me lol

the pope said nato might have some responsibility in the war once

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I don't get it why is south africa bad? Its full of euros moving there post retirement to extend their euro pensions into rands.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Frosted Flake posted:

It is a glory and honour to die for our kindred people. Deploying a battlegroup there and training Azov are more important than building new barracks, base schools and PMQs. I only wish we weren’t poisoned by hateful propaganda against the Waffen SS at the annual dinner to commentate those killed by 12th SS Pz HJ when we could be celebrating the heroiam of 14th SS.

should be more embarrassed about taking such high casualties from the SS Baby Division tbh

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

I don't get it why is south africa bad? Its full of euros moving there post retirement to extend their euro pensions into rands.

they probably believe that story of poor white farmers are having their land confiscated

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tankbuster posted:

BRICS

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i wonder why isn't iran on their shitlist

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

yeah but India is explicitly not on their shitlist.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Tankbuster posted:

yeah but India is explicitly not on their shitlist.

much like sri lanka and bhutan, india has potential

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the subcontinent having potential minus pakistan is probably the realest part of that tweet

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Love the EU being in the "good guy" list and then it's constituent nations being listed in the others lol

Edit: how does someone with a fash symbol in the Twitter handle put Italy, which literally just elected a fash, in the bad guys list. Lol God drat do right wing freaks not know anything

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 21:41 on Jan 8, 2023

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
im guessing the psychotic twitter lady is very confused

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

kosovo has potential when its a fake country @_@

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Endman posted:

should be more embarrassed about taking such high casualties from the SS Baby Division tbh

They were POWs shot out of hand by the Nazi bastards.