Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

JollyBoyJohn posted:

thats nothing the americas got a way more ACTION box art

Posting the classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
why is american kirby so cross :(

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can't believe VG did a Swear during the GOTY thread.

hosed up

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

h*ck

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Make Kirby Air Ride 2 already

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

VS always gives me a.. if not exactly a headache the feeling that I should probably go outside and get some fresh air after I've been playing it for a bit. Maybe it's concentrating intently at a single point on the screen or something I dunno.

I think I know what you're talking about. Is it like a kind of dissociative brain buzzing, like a non-painful migraine? For me those are the kinds of brain activity that lead into epileptic fits, the sunken space where you have just enough thought allocated to the task and not much more. Be careful, not everyone is going to get a seizure when they're like that but anyone who goes there can still be sent for quite a loop.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

The Ico JP box art is so goddamn lovely

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

TheWorldsaStage posted:

we had that one in Europe, too

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Cool art is cool, and you know what imma get off my rear end and and frame one of my posters today and hang that bad boy up

Will post results later

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id7DLq7bpTw

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So it's not a video game but it is tangential, my friend got me an Exit The Game puzzle for Christmas and I just got lost in it for 2.5 hours and it was incredible. There was a really great mix of puzzles that instantly clicked and ones that were stumpers and there was some incredible lateral thinking required.

Like you get a bunch of materials to solve the puzzles with and including a decoder ring and I was struggling with one of the puzzles until I randomly flipped the decoder ring over and realised it had a symbol on the back I needed to line up with a symbol in the book which would reveal the answer! I felt so smart for spotting it! And then there was another one where you get some cards with random lines on them but the riddle gets you to turn them over and draw on the back and if you draw hard enough the impression matches up with the lines to form the numbers you need for the answer! It was really innovative and I felt like a genius :D

Just don't tell anyone about the forty minutes it took to make me realise I needed to draw on some clocks :cripes:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Infinitum posted:

Cool art is cool, and you know what imma get off my rear end and and frame one of my posters today and hang that bad boy up

Will post results later

Was he trapped as a statue?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's the final suit from the game

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Khanstant posted:

what does the third mario brother look like

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Urgh crash bandicoot trilogy looks so drat good, just remake every game from my childhood exactly like this please

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Fuckin weird

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
mobile ads are an art

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hatty posted:

mobile ads are an art

https://twitter.com/VermiixPhantom/status/1611770818219884545

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Yeah I agree why even consider the push her away option

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

This is a good sell, tbh

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

can't find a version that's high res so here's one posted to reddit

Kinky Cookie Bunny
Apr 1, 2011

Rarity posted:

So it's not a video game but it is tangential, my friend got me an Exit The Game puzzle for Christmas and I just got lost in it for 2.5 hours and it was incredible. There was a really great mix of puzzles that instantly clicked and ones that were stumpers and there was some incredible lateral thinking required.

Like you get a bunch of materials to solve the puzzles with and including a decoder ring and I was struggling with one of the puzzles until I randomly flipped the decoder ring over and realised it had a symbol on the back I needed to line up with a symbol in the book which would reveal the answer! I felt so smart for spotting it! And then there was another one where you get some cards with random lines on them but the riddle gets you to turn them over and draw on the back and if you draw hard enough the impression matches up with the lines to form the numbers you need for the answer! It was really innovative and I felt like a genius :D

Just don't tell anyone about the forty minutes it took to make me realise I needed to draw on some clocks :cripes:

welcome to the fold

the exit the game extended universe

XD

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Oh God. Vampire Survivors. I kinda get it now... good thing this evil is quarantined on my phone hhaha

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
it's a flashy fidget spinner

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I think I heard something on a podcast or something about the weird social manipulation and psychology behind those weird mobile ads.
It's something about targeting people they know won't be interested in the actual game, but are enticed by some strange narrative hook that never exists outside the ad. Wish I could remember were I heard/read it but it was both fascinating and frightening stuff.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

bone emulator posted:

I think I heard something on a podcast or something about the weird social manipulation and psychology behind those weird mobile ads.
It's something about targeting people they know won't be interested in the actual game, but are enticed by some strange narrative hook that never exists outside the ad. Wish I could remember were I heard/read it but it was both fascinating and frightening stuff.

The evil old lady from the mobile game ad was a fun meme for a while there, but I always wondered if there was an actual story behind it or if it was never meant to make since.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’m surprised the ads that show fake gameplay that’s completely different from the real game don’t run afoul of false advertising laws.

Or maybe it’s just not regulated enough.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

bone emulator posted:

the "what the gently caress" factor's been around for a while and has become a dominant force in advertising, it's hard to turn a corner on TV without running into some wacky old spice-esque skit intended solely to grab your attention

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

One story that keeps coming up is a sad lvl 10 casual getting his lvl 30 gf stolen by a lvl 50 chad

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

If this is a real game I kind of want to play it.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's most likely an energy-based match 3 game where matching enough things makes a room in a mansion look better.

There's a dude on youtube I follow who fell down the rabbit hole of the ads because they were all animated things about a granny going to prison after being framed for murder, except she wasn't framed and she actually did just murder someone and was maybe coming for you next. At some point it turned into live action and it was this whole thing about "did the granny kill and bury someone in her yard or was she framed and there was never a murder" and the game still had nothing to do with any of it. There's an art to fake advertising now, they've come a long way from "come play m'lord." It's why I am actually kind of impressed when a game or video or whatever's weird and extreme clickybaity advertising turns out to be accurate to what the content actually is.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1612181306716344321?s=20&t=N-cmdq9SG1Kx6R0vpEk7Tg

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

I'm thinking about getting into Hearthstone. Why is that a bad idea?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Walla posted:

Blizzard

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Walla posted:

you will have to spend hundreds of dollars to have fun

if you want a teeth-grit multiplayer competitive experience just play league like every normal human (i.e. me), or if you want a card game play legends of runeterra which has a sensible MTX model that isn't trying to gut you like a fish

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Oh God. Vampire Survivors. I kinda get it now... good thing this evil is quarantined on my phone hhaha

Wait wait wait this game is on iOS and free??!

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Cool, y'all talked me out of it. I'm currently addicted to Marvel Snap anyway, but at least that's completely ftp and the monthly season pass is only $10.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hearthstone has loads of free single player content