Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

projecting what? that old things are good, lol?

bc I would beg to differ, but I grew up (and now live) in a city with beautiful victorian architecture & have a soft spot for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Thats the joke

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Establish dominance by loving one of his family members

update please

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

in my neighborhood a 1900-ish house like this

got knocked down to build this

total net loss if you ask me

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I'm dont think the people in need of affordable housing would prefer some mansion from 1902 is preserved for the quaint rustic feels in lieu of building more places to live that aren't antiques.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

At least don't make it hideous. Why are there two stair cases?

Apr 7, 2003

In that particular tweet we're discussing, that new poo poo ain't gonna be affordable. It's gonna be "luxury" housing

Apr 7, 2003

There was some discussion elsewhere in cspam about Blackrock buying up an 11k+ apartment complex in New York City that was built in 1947 and trying to get rid of rent control. They're already charging over $4k a month for 900 square foot poo poo built to house returning GIs eighty years ago.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
an old mansion replaced with luxury apartments still doesn't seem like a loss

Apr 7, 2003

In my example above, a nice older building that previously sold for $200K was knocked down and a hideous rear end duplex was built that sold for $470K + 450K.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

an old mansion replaced with luxury apartments still doesn't seem like a loss

it's being torn down for two units, not a complex.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

in my neighborhood a 1900-ish house like this

got knocked down to build this

total net loss if you ask me

No eaves or overhang over the windows is fail.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dormers rule

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Willa Rogers posted:

it's being torn down for two units, not a complex.

Fair enough but I still don't see much of an issue with getting rid of old mansions and replacing them with more units that are modern. Even if its an ugly duplex.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Fair enough but I still don't see much of an issue with getting rid of old mansions and replacing them with more units that are modern. Even if its an ugly duplex.

lots of those mansions can be easily split into multiple apartments if needed. that's basically the entirety of whole neighborhoods in the northeast

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

i say swears online posted:

lots of those mansions can be easily split into multiple apartments if needed. that's basically the entirety of whole neighborhoods in the northeast

Plus with these conversions you get some really wonky apartment shapes. No two are the same!

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

i say swears online posted:

every single college town is like this it's fine

Apr 7, 2003

Buck Turgidson posted:

No eaves or overhang over the windows is fail.

especially since that house faces south lol

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
Let's take a quick poll of which "don't tear down houses to build more housing" people own their homes and which don't

Apr 7, 2003

Nitevision posted:

Let's take a quick poll of which "don't tear down houses to build more housing" people own their homes and which don't

They're tearing down a mansion to build a duplex that will make more money for them than the mansion would

if they were building a ten unit building that'd be fine. They aren't.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Become homeless a tentchad and beat the housing market.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Willa Rogers posted:

I know that density is good, especially in a place like l.a., but a teardown for a home like this to be replaced by only a duplex should be a crime.

https://twitter.com/esotouric/status/1611568549524299777

I don't like historical preservation laws. Like environmental protection laws, they have been weaponized by bad faith NIMBYs to prevent building more housing. I think that all historical preservation laws should be scrapped and environmental protection laws should be dramatically curtailed. If you don't want housing replacing old buildings or wetlands, allow it in your neighborhood. (You does not actually refer to Willa in this case.)

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

How poor do you need to grow up to think that is a mansion?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The sales listing has it as 4 bedrooms/2 baths.

Interior pics make it look fugly as hell.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Nice backyard worth $1 million+ sales price. And the upper windows being barred is an elegant touch.

I'm starting to change my mind about the teardown.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Pretty cool that mega corps can just buy all available housing and rent it back to us for twice the cost.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

RandomBlue posted:

Pretty cool that mega corps can just buy all available housing and rent it back to us for twice the cost.

:yeah:

One of these days I'll be the mega corp

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
that horrible duplex absolutely met every design guideline for "breaking up the mass of the building planes" and "fitting the character of the development" and "variety in the fenestration in the facade"

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

TeenageArchipelago posted:

:yeah:

One of these days I'll be the mega corp

mom and pop landlord just means you get to watch a specific person spend your specific money on a decadent lifestyle instead of it going into a massive pile that's doled out to shareholders far away. i'm against it.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Nope, when I am a mega corp all of the people who own shares of me will have to pay me dividends and then I will use that money to get knee and hip replacement surgeries. Just dozens of knees and hips, emblematic of the churn of essential employees since the death of the social contract and the lifetime employee. I'll eventually be the biggest mega corp in the world 🌎🌎🌎🌎

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

They're tearing down a mansion to build a duplex that will make more money for them than the mansion would

if they were building a ten unit building that'd be fine. They aren't.

Why aren't you responding to my post :confused:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/etienneshrdlu/status/1135855628755329024

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nitevision posted:

it was a pretty stupid question tbh

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Auschwitz rear end daycare

Apr 7, 2003

Nitevision posted:

Because I don't owe you a loving thing

Minecraft Holmes
Oct 21, 2016

In that particular tweet we're discussing, that new poo poo ain't gonna be affordable. It's gonna be "luxury" housing

aka market rate

Apr 7, 2003

Crow Buddy posted:

It looks like a normal Usonian-style house on a city lot, I had no idea why they were calling it a mansion. Listing says 2300 square feet. My shitbox 1907 wood frame house on a 30' x 100' lot is 1800 square feet.

Apr 7, 2003

I used to live across the street from this place. It is a 2300 square foot house built in 1910. Maybe it is also a mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Crow Buddy posted:

in that location in los angeles it is