Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
buy the dlc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

Gift the game to your friends, or other goons.

Highly recommended, I've bought this game for some IRL friends and everyone's in!! And for the holidays I got them the DLC.............

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Kins posted:

Premium games (even three buck ones) just kinda don't work in the modern mobile market, sadly.

Some mobile games still have a give money option

Bought it day one, like the characters and weapons dislike the map

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It can be hard to make pay-up-front work on mobile but I don't see why they couldn't have a 3bux DLC that disables the ads

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The ads are already opt in. Like, apparently the dev couldn't find a mobile developer that wouldn't scum up the game with your standard mobile poo poo so they just put it out completely free with exceedingly optional opt in support.

God bless them, like everyone else I would rather give them another three bucks for that loving amazing game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Upon hearing it was free on mobile I tried it out, it's good fun but I might actually buy the PC version because touch screen controls suck rear end

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

2house2fly posted:

Upon hearing it was free on mobile I tried it out, it's good fun but I might actually buy the PC version because touch screen controls suck rear end

I'm playing on ipad with an xbox controller which is great. I bought it on steam as well.

The ads kinda rule because they give you a revive and bonus gold which are both great for early progression.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The ads are already opt in.

No one is saying the ads are scummy or anything, just that we wish we had the choice to buy them out

Bottom Liner posted:

The ads kinda rule because they give you a revive and bonus gold which are both great for early progression.

Exactly. I just wish it was still the IAP meta from 10 years ago where you could remove ads entirely and just get those rewards automatically for between $1 and $10 in a lot of games. I would give the devs my money, but hating advertising is foundational to the way I experience existence

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 8, 2023

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Can the save from the PC version of Vampire Survivors be put where the Android version keeps its save files and be loaded?

EDIT: Looks like it can.

A good poster fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 8, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Kins posted:

Premium games (even three buck ones) just kinda don't work in the modern mobile market, sadly.

yeah but it's not hard to put a $3 "no-ads" iap into your free-with-ads game

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I just want to make sure I've got this straight, because I'm kinda confused what people are arguing about.
  • Vampire Survivors is now on mobile devices.
  • VS on mobile devices is free.
  • The game is ad-supported.
  • The ads are opt-in.
  • Watching the ads gives a minor in game bonus.
  • Goons itt, the Free Games Thread, are mad that they cannot pay money to remove ads that they don't have to watch from a game that they don't have to pay for (?)
Like, as presented this seems like one of the most benign possible monetization schemes for a video game possible. "Here's a free video game, you can watch ads if you want to have some free stuff in the free video game. Or you could not watch ads and play the free video game the same way that folks who paid $3 for it do."

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Sounds about right. I think the dev did all he could to not release it in a lovely way with bad monetization.

I won't play it anyway because phone gaming is awful to me and I have better options (deck, switch, etc) so I don't really have a dog in this fight.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Commander Keene posted:

I just want to make sure I've got this straight, because I'm kinda confused what people are arguing about.
  • Vampire Survivors is now on mobile devices.
  • VS on mobile devices is free.
  • The game is ad-supported.
  • The ads are opt-in.
  • Watching the ads gives a minor in game bonus.
  • Goons itt, the Free Games Thread, are mad that they cannot pay money to remove ads that they don't have to watch from a game that they don't have to pay for (?)
Like, as presented this seems like one of the most benign possible monetization schemes for a video game possible. "Here's a free video game, you can watch ads if you want to have some free stuff in the free video game. Or you could not watch ads and play the free video game the same way that folks who paid $3 for it do."

SomethingAwful.txt

Remember when goons used to somehow pretend they were better than other people on the internet instead of being the scum of the earth?

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
They wanted a way to support the dev that didn't involve ads, which apparently isn't an option in the mobile version. It's not that complicated.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

No one is mad. We just wish there was the option to pay one-time for the ad bonuses instead of watching the ads. Other games have done it, and we liked it. That's the entirety of the sentiment.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Video Games > Free Games: Why wont you let me give you money?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
It's the "Free games (that didn't used to be free)" thread. Presumably goons are here rather than in threads for f2p games because they don't really want to deal with f2p stuff. And yeah while it's not obnoxious and pretty good for a mobile genre, promoting the player for "here, watch an ad for some in-game benefit" can still get irritating. Some players just wanna play a game without being reminded about money and the hypercapitalism of the modern world all the time. I generally avoid ad-supported games on my phone.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Some players just wanna play a game without being reminded about money and the hypercapitalism of the modern world all the time. I generally avoid ad-supported games on my phone.
:hmmyes:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
free games not actually free?! there are no ethical free games under capitalism, something about the cost of giving my email address, etc. that's very interesting, what are everyone's thoughts on this development?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
until we are free, no games are truly free.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I mean, I just think structuring a piece of art around how much money it can extract from the vulnerable is a poo poo thing to do and makes bad art to boot, but go off.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

I mean, I just think structuring a piece of art around how much money it can extract from the vulnerable is a poo poo thing to do and makes bad art to boot, but go off.

F2P IAP-laden mobile games aren't generally the focus of this thread bud.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Did you guys know raid shadow legends is free?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
monetisation is bad but its implementation in Vampire Survivors consists entirely (so far as I've seen) of "watch an ad to revive once per run" and "watch an ad to get more coins" don't know how many more coins because you get plenty per run anyway. In this day and age that's a minor miracle!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

dogstile posted:

It also has a character based on Rhonda Rousey so no thanks

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Waffleman_ posted:

It *does*? The only thing I know about that game is that I have to skip ads for it all the time because it sponsors a lot of youtubers I like.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Waffleman_ posted:

Saw an ad for that recently and lmao

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Lmao, i was joking but holy poo poo

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
who would win

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

dogstile posted:

And so is NordVPN, at least for the first month; you can try it today for free!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

aniviron posted:

And so is NordVPN, at least for the first month; you can try it today for free!

Don't forget to use the sa forums nordvpn link!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Waffleman_ posted:

god i totally forgot about this mma clown since she chernobled

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

F2P IAP-laden mobile games aren't generally the focus of this thread bud.
Read the exchange again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Read the exchange again.

No.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I think we can all learn a little from Bottom Liner's av.

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out
Bump for this week's Epic freebies: Gamedec - Definitive Edition, First Class Trouble and Divine Knockout (the last of which looks to be F2P).

Next week: Epistory - Typing Chronicles

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

Saw this in the steam thread - Friday the 13th: Killer Puzzle is losing the license and will no longer be puchaseable soon. The base game and all but three of the content DLCs are free on steam. I've never played it but free is free!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/795100/Friday_the_13th_Killer_

I felt a little bummed that three of the content DLCs still cost money, creating some FOMO. But honestly am I ever even going to install this? If I do, will I run out of content before moving on? Almost certainly not. Shut up, brain.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
They didn't make it free because of the license loss, it always cost that way. It was made first as a phone game and that was just the model they went with, free game and content with some paid.

It's a fun puzzle game, and the devs have another game like it without any license, Slayaway Camp. So if you ever want more in the future, check that out. :)

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just sayin', "Friday the 13th: Killer Puzzle " has very strong vibes of those mobile games that advertise like they're a story-driven action game or grand strategy but are in fact yet another match-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I will say it is exceptionally funny that it was announced on a Friday the 13th