Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zugzwang posted:

They actually distinguish between regular bird flu and Highly Pathogenic bird flu. Guess what kind has been going around?

The one that’s mild and “essentially nature’s vaccine”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Oh yeah btw there's a global egg shortage right now lol

https://news.google.com/search?q=egg%20shortage&hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Zugzwang posted:

They actually distinguish between regular bird flu and Highly Pathogenic bird flu. Guess what kind has been going around?

cluckdowns did this

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Yun posted:

cluckdowns did this

clucked again!

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Y'all ought to start learning how to make egg substitutes from beans

Anyway just saw this fresh hell on Twitter. Imagine enduring the worst public transit ride of your life and only having damaged eardrums and cheeselung to show for it.

https://twitter.com/BrokeAssStuart/status/1611782999338807299

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

gandlethorpe posted:

Devilled beans just ain’t the same.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ful medames or bust.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

gandlethorpe posted:

Anyway just saw this fresh hell on Twitter. Imagine enduring the worst public transit ride of your life and only having damaged eardrums and cheeselung to show for it.

https://twitter.com/BrokeAssStuart/status/1611782999338807299

Is that a surgical mask around the drummer's neck? lmao

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

silicone thrills posted:

I have an induction and it blows the socks off gas imo. Absolutely loving rules.

I’m pessimistic but I feel a lot of this induction pushing is by appliance mfgers because induction ranges are more expensive than gas.

For me I value longevity, easy cleaning, and heat control for cooking. Gas just checks most of those boxes and I don’t want a glass cooktop ever again.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I don't have any 220v slots left in my electrical panel for an induction range. don't feel like spending $8K + range to install one.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Glumwheels posted:

I’m pessimistic but I feel a lot of this induction pushing is by appliance mfgers because induction ranges are more expensive than gas.

For me I value longevity, easy cleaning, and heat control for cooking. Gas just checks most of those boxes and I don’t want a glass cooktop ever again.

Im sure nobodys ever had a motivation to push for building out gas delivery infrastructure all the way to the consumer though

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013

nasal n95 implants when

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Kragger99 posted:

Goon sex compound better not be stuck with toilet wine. I'm a trained cook, so I can help with the cooking.

Let me explain something to you. It ain't a sex compound, okay? It IS a compound. You CAN have sex in it. But that's not what it's for. You can have sex in a fire truck too. But we don't call those sex trucks now do we?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kragger99 posted:

Not enough, but that won't be a problem with our goon greenhouse.

someone took up all the space in the goon greenhouse with weed, it was me

don't worry i'm told the seeds are rich in fats and nutrients and whatever

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I imagine most people aren’t in a position to either afford to replace their range or allowed to replace the appliances where they live so this whole discussion is for whatever percentage of the thread that happens to be in the market for a new range or has the kind of money to replace a working gas range and I feel like considering the age of the average goon there’s gotta be a thread in a subforum somewhere on this site dedicated to exactly this debate already.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

McCracAttack posted:

Let me explain something to you. It ain't a sex compound, okay? It IS a compound. You CAN have sex in it. But that's not what it's for. You can have sex in a fire truck too. But we don't call those sex trucks now do we?

So what I’m hearing is a motion to add a fire truck to the sex compound?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Running into the gas ranges without actual venting was kind of new to me. Avoiding those in the search for a place that doesn't have someone harassing us.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.

So something like Enovid?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

i wonder if this poo poo really helps, or is mostly a gimmick. not too expensive.

https://www.rollingstone.com/product-recommendations/lifestyle/best-wearable-air-purifier-necklace-1299343/

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Grognan posted:

Running into the gas ranges without actual venting was kind of new to me. Avoiding those in the search for a place that doesn't have someone harassing us.

relevant new meta analysis about gas ranges and asthma , published a few weeks ago

https://www.mdpi.com/1660-4601/20/1/75

Population Attributable Fraction of Gas Stoves and Childhood Asthma in the United States

quote:

Abstract

Indoor gas stove use for cooking is associated with an increased risk of current asthma among children and is prevalent in 35% of households in the United States (US). The population-level implications of gas cooking are largely unrecognized. We quantified the population attributable fraction (PAF) for gas stove use and current childhood asthma in the US. Effect sizes previously reported by meta-analyses for current asthma (Odds Ratio = 1.34, 95% Confidence Interval (CI) = 1.12–1.57) were utilized in the PAF estimations. The proportion of children (<18 years old) exposed to gas stoves was obtained from the American Housing Survey for the US, and states with available data (n = 9). We found that 12.7% (95% CI = 6.3–19.3%) of current childhood asthma in the US is attributable to gas stove use. The proportion of childhood asthma that could be theoretically prevented if gas stove use was not present (e.g., state-specific PAFs) varied by state (Illinois = 21.1%; California = 20.1%; New York = 18.8%; Massachusetts = 15.4%; Pennsylvania = 13.5%). Our results quantify the US public health burden attributed to gas stove use and childhood asthma. Further research is needed to quantify the burden experienced at the county levels, as well as the impacts of implementing mitigation strategies through intervention studies.
Keywords: gas; stove; current; use; asthma; burden; cooking; respirator

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bullfrog posted:

i wonder if this poo poo really helps, or is mostly a gimmick. not too expensive.

https://www.rollingstone.com/product-recommendations/lifestyle/best-wearable-air-purifier-necklace-1299343/

worthless

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I can’t remember if it was my wife or me who insisted we get a ceramic top stove but one of us was loving wrong

just permanently scarred with the immovable transgressions of cookings past

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013

Bullfrog posted:

this amazing dude who is an air purifier nerd https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1xi0z-oSFScvIFi35-HGk8XUCo-ekW8H claims that air purifiers DO NOT create a zone/bubble of purified air around you, but rather that they clean whatever air zone you're in at a relatively uniform rate. so it doesn't make sense to have an air purifier at your desk in an open office, or probably around your neck either.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Bullfrog posted:

unless you have a hose going straight from the purifier into your nostrils it’s useless

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

quote:

You might guffaw at the concept of an air purifier necklaces, but we’re here to tell that they’re actually quite practical. In fact, Philippines’ President Rodrigo Duterte has been wearing one since 2019 “to protect against coughs and colds.”

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i have a gas stove but also a big rear end range hood that sucks air out through the roof. induction stovetops seem cool but i already have a gas line and buying an expensive stove + capping the line and hiring an electrician all sound like a pain in the rear end

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
There’s nobody I trust more about public health matters than Filipino president Rodrigo Duterte

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
summary execution for drug dealers is A public health stance I guess

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ibid posted:

Neilmed packets are pH 8.6 in 8 ounces of distilled water.

They’re about one point seven grams of sodium chloride and half a gram of sodium bicarbonate.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Gunshow Poophole posted:

summary execution for drug dealers is A public health stance I guess

see? He knows about ventilation

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Duterte told people to disinfect their face masks by washing them in gasoline

But he also didn't drop the mask mandate the whole he was in office

So impossible to say whether he was bad or not

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

need to put far uvc implants in my nostrils

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Venting hoods are great, but in hellworld you cannot assume the air that will replace it is going to be good.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I’m not trying to call anyone out here but if you don’t regularly have the ingredients to make a breakfast burrito at home you are living a half life, a cursed life.

Ill do you one better. I keep besam flour on hand. So loving good. Essentially ends up being like vegan eggs

re: induction - ended up with it because I only had electric anyway and my oven element caught on fire on thanksgiving of like 2014 lmao. Bought a 60$ induction plate to play around with in the mean time and then liked it enough to replace what I had with an induction cooktop. ended up being about 1400 at the time.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 02:08 on Jan 9, 2023

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Egg prices got me hurting on breakfast

Segue
May 23, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

Ful medames or bust.

QFT. Can of beans, bunch of cumin, chili powder, tahini, lemon juice, drizzle olive oil and you have like three breakfasts. It's beautiful.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

coffee on a completely empty stomach is the people's breakfast

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

okay, goons: over/under on infectiousness of someone who:
re-developed symptoms & re-tested positive as a paxlovid rebound 7 days ago, and
has tested negative since; no longer has any symptoms.
still a wandering ghost?

mystes
May 31, 2006

take_it_slow posted:

okay, goons: over/under on infectiousness of someone who:
re-developed symptoms & re-tested positive as a paxlovid rebound 7 days ago, and
has tested negative since; no longer has any symptoms.
still a wandering ghost?
Who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

yeah...
:negative: