Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Bee posted:

And this is why despite Avatar being surprisingly underdiscussed, everyone remembers JAKE SULLY.

I remember Sully because of Monsters Inc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

stillvisions posted:

Now part of me is wondering if this is a product of modern scriptwriting where main characters' names are used less in modern movies because we're afraid viewers won't remember or something. Like we've lost the golden age of B movie B plots where people talk on the phone about/to the main character and have to keep saying their name.

I remember Quaid and Richards because both are associated with major lines from the movie and used repeatedly. Maybe it helps that Quaid's identity is in question too so it comes up as a plot point, but someone with better data scraping skills than myself could probably write a piece seeing if we simply stopped using regular names in actual dialogue in newer movies.

Like as a random point when people were so fixated on "unobtanium" I think the best answer for why "why the stupid and obvious name" is because unlike an episode of Star Trek that talks in circles around their newly discovered McGuffin, unobtanium is said three times in the entire movie, so it better be simple to remember.

and yet, the lowest form of movie or tv trailer is just a supercut of people saying the main character's name

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I'm actually struggling to think of what youtubers I watch that I wouldn't just refer to them by their first names outside of the ones that just outright use aliases. I guess initially I might say "Jesse Cox" or "Danny Gonzalez" but then after that I would just say Jesse or Danny. The Game Grumps I would just say Danny or Arin. Arin doesn't even really go by Egoraptor anymore outside of his twitter. The Yogscast although I don't watch them anymore I would just say Lewis and Simon. The Beard Bros I would just say Alex or Brett. The Completionist I would just say Jirard. Supermega I just say Matt and Ryan. Ross from Game Grumps I rarely see people say RubberRoss or RubberNinja. The McElroys I'd just refer to as Griffin, Travis and Justin. All of these folks just go by their first names most of the time.

It's just ones that only go by aliases all the time that I wouldn't say their real names. Dodger, Strippin (well even then I think a lot of people will just say Sam), Shofu, Coney, Trihex, Crendor

a nice shorthand you could use for all of those people is aids

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Alaois posted:

and yet, the lowest form of movie or tv trailer is just a supercut of people saying the main character's name

That's usually reserved for movies where the character's name is in the title like a Bourne/Bond movie, isn't it?

Note: I'm coming from a position where I am terrible at names, having known people for years and still not remembering them. I was happy when some older books even had a "dramatis personae" at the back of a book so I could keep track. It always stuck out when I did remember a character name if only because that meant something had to happen for me to actually remember it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Stux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lffg88WDRg

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I AM SINISTAR

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Stux posted:

AIDS is a very serious disease and it doesn’t help anyone to compare it to random lame online creators. Using it as an insult should only be reserved for something truly heinous and life ruining befitting the seriousness of the disease

Like your posting

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://youtu.be/UYDWRw7ss5U

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DC Murderverse posted:

AIDS is a very serious disease and it doesn’t help anyone to compare it to random lame online creators. Using it as an insult should only be reserved for something truly heinous and life ruining befitting the seriousness of the disease

Like your posting
Said on the forum that had "cancer" as a transmissable disease for decades.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The last MCU movie I saw was Multiverse of Madness because Sam Raimi, and while that did have some life injected into its direction, they sure did have one character get set from Good to Evil with no buildup. Which I feel is going to be a problem as the MCU expands its roster of characters, as there’s just no time to develop characters when you have to get everything to converge on a Big Event Movie in the next 2-3 years.

Which is why I hope the DCCU or whatever just…stops existing? Say what you will about Joker, but it at least offered something new for comic books movies, and I doubt it could have done that if the writers had to worry about how Joker plays into the stories of 15 other characters over the next 5-6 movies.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Said on the forum that had "cancer" as a transmissable disease for decades.

What if that was also a lovely idea too?

AIDS also has this big thing where human beings were considered unclean vermin if they had it, and if a person had AIDS they also tended to die alone and in agony!

And that time where that happened all the time is still within posters memory, so maybe don't say that "cringy people are like AIDS."

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Stux posted:

Classic Stux :allears:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

The Bee posted:

And this is why despite Avatar being surprisingly underdiscussed, everyone remembers JAKE SULLY.

The only, and I mean the only, reason I remember the character's name is Jake Sully is because of this Emmy Cicerega comic

Edit: I'm also briefly remembering the short period of time people were calling themselves Na'avi kin and then...didn't really hear from them again. Wonder if those people will pop back up again, now with more Extra Uncomfortable Native American Appropriation

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 9, 2023

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jake Sully is the guy that landed the airplane right

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Dunkey with a publishing announcement (good game pick but I could have sworn they already had a publisher) and his best games of 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21T-Sc-TXJY

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I'm shocked no one has said Guile for JCVD roles

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Jake Sully is the guy that landed the airplane right

Close. His name is Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger III.

I, too, would go by "Sully" to anyone faced with that name.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Bee posted:

According to the movie I think you mean Jakesully.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Oooooh, Jake Sully was the top scarer at Monsters Inc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Twincityhacker posted:

AIDS also has this big thing where human beings were considered unclean vermin if they had it, and if a person had AIDS they also tended to die alone and in agony!

And that time where that happened all the time is still within posters memory, so maybe don't say that "cringy people are like AIDS."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38cbimdMPH0

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

tayk da toyeh bhak to da cahpet

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Twincityhacker posted:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Twincityhacker posted:

so was 9/11, unless you're going to concern troll about 9/11 references too

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Twincityhacker posted:

Cringy people are unclean vermin. Seems like an apt metaphor to me.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

stux did 9/11

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Cringy people are unclean vermin. Seems like an apt metaphor to me.

Sure lets just unironically adopt the framing that people with AIDS are subhuman, it worked so well in the past.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
If the one eyed man is king in the land of the blind, Stux is going to become god in this thread

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Dire Lemming posted:

Sure lets just unironically adopt the framing that people with AIDS are subhuman, it worked so well in the past.

don't be cringy and you got nothing to worry about

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjUDrtAju68
Primm talking about an absolutely terrible Friday cartoon series from 2007. I know actors need to work but come on John DiMaggio, you should have known better. Also kind of goofy how Phil LaMarr voices both the Ice Cube and Chris Tucker characters (although looking it up on IMDB they sometimes have Khary Payton voice Smokey in some episodes?)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjUDrtAju68
Primm talking about an absolutely terrible Friday cartoon series from 2007. I know actors need to work but come on John DiMaggio, you should have known better. Also kind of goofy how Phil LaMarr voices both the Ice Cube and Chris Tucker characters (although looking it up on IMDB they sometimes have Khary Payton voice Smokey in some episodes?)

Kinda funny Smokey's only in the first movie but he's the one they use for the cartoon.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Happy Landfill posted:

The only, and I mean the only, reason I remember the character's name is Jake Sully is because of this Emmy Cicerega comic

Edit: I'm also briefly remembering the short period of time people were calling themselves Na'avi kin and then...didn't really hear from them again. Wonder if those people will pop back up again, now with more Extra Uncomfortable Native American Appropriation

I have never watched Avatar and I never will

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

egg tats posted:

truly, what is it about being a fan of dc movies makes people immediately react to criticism by attacking the MCU

most MCU movies like like bland porridge, most people with taste agree with that fact so it's not really a gotcha

I swear to god that is half the reason for Syndar's popularity in CD.

FuturePastNow posted:

I envy you. A couple years ago Chapo Trap House did a review of Avatar arguing it was an underrated masterpiece, rather than just being an ok action movie. I lost a bit of respect for the Dry Boys after that one.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 9, 2023

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

You really should though. It's a great story. Aang is my favorite character.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my recommendation is to watch ATLA, watch Korra, and then do not look at or engage with the fandom and pretend that you're the only person who got to see them

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Atla and Korra are pretty good.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Impermanent posted:

Atla and Korra are pretty good.
I like 'em! If a conversation about them starts, click away, or maybe say "Hey how about The Last Jedi" before running

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Were the comics any good?

Edit: for AtLA/Korra, I mean

DanielCross fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 9, 2023

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

haha what posted:

snakerer's full vid on the new saints row just dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Id8_4RZFffc

heres the first part on the intro that was linked earlier in the thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PICvY8ifTyQ

Volition wasn't doing too hot before this and its sad that this obvious made-by-committee reboot is their swan song. I really enjoyed (and still sometimes replay) the older SR games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

DanielCross posted:

Were the comics any good?

Eh?