Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Volte posted:

Okay I think I'm finally done with Tunic once and for all. This Garden Knight boss is a complete slog. Most attacks take away 99% of my health and even though I have 5 estus flask charges, that still only just barely refills my health bar one time because each charge barely does anything, not that I often even have a chance to chug one. I do about 1/100th of its health per swing so the most I've ever held out was about one quarter of its health. Occasionally the same attack will hit me twice a quarter of a second, killing me instantly. Plus the isometric camera swinging around is completely mindfucking me.

watching a video of it. what were they thinking with this camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

haha what posted:

sentient for ps1

dope thank you, i'm very intrigued

also this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JgGWrxQNnM

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Foul Fowl posted:

what game is this

Sentient, a DOS/PS1 game from the 90s. Here's SGF's blind playthrough of it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaSPgE4K0SB2BfYFVQWQYc_igiW4H2h-N

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

StarkRavingMad posted:

Sentient, a DOS/PS1 game from the 90s. Here's SGF's blind playthrough of it: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaSPgE4K0SB2BfYFVQWQYc_igiW4H2h-N

:cheers: nice one

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

kazil posted:

God mode?
Maaaybe. I don't think game has much to offer me without any stakes at all, as exploration off the beaten path unlocking some new upgrade or technique is part of the draw of a game like this, plus the danger of being between checkpoints in an unfamiliar area. With god mode, most of the upgrades will be decorative at best and there's no danger. This is one place where actual difficulty levels would be nice to have. Accessibility menu does not make up for proper game balance, be it on a single difficulty or with multiple difficulty levels, and this just doesn't seem like a well-balanced game to me.

fake edit: lol this guide video on how to beat him even has a spot where the guy almost dies to a bullshit attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsCmPHDWqeg&t=280s

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Probably an unpopular opinion but I much preferred Death's Door to Tunic. The manual gimmick was cool but the gameplay felt like much more of a slog.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Aphex- posted:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I much preferred Death's Door to Tunic. The manual gimmick was cool but the gameplay felt like much more of a slog.
Yeah, I loved Death's Door, although I rolled my eyes when I beat it and then found out there's a post-game where I have to revisit the entire game and do a bunch of extra poo poo to see the "true ending" and just called it quits there.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Volte posted:

Tunic update: I'm up to 11 attempts against Garden Knight. So far none of the attempts has lasted past 2 seconds

edit: the last one ended so fast the boss health bar was still appearing on the screen after I respawned

hahaha, It's like that moment in Hades where if you have the basic mook land the killing blow on you, the sleepy guy back at base who gives commentary on your runs rather awkwardly suggests "Have you tried... dodging?"

There's a paper-manual clue about a new mechanic that can give you +stats before the boss, but that won't help much if he just keeps whalloping you. That boss is an actual 'git gud' moment where you need to learn his patterns.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Serephina posted:

hahaha, It's like that moment in Hades where if you have the basic mook land the killing blow on you, the sleepy guy back at base who gives commentary on your runs rather awkwardly suggests "Have you tried... dodging?"

Hypnos. I love him because he has a very wide-eyed innocent dopey tone to the things he says, but he is almost certainly just loving with you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Hypnos. I love him because he has a very wide-eyed innocent dopey tone to the things he says, but he is almost certainly just loving with you.

his behavior towards everyone else suggests that he means it as genuine advice. guy's basically functioning with "just woke up at 5 a.m." levels of brainpower 24/7

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

HopperUK posted:

He doesn't just do it to you either, there's a conversation with him and megaera where she deadpans that he told her to try dodging your attacks

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Oxxidation posted:

his behavior towards everyone else suggests that he means it as genuine advice. guy's basically functioning with "just woke up at 5 a.m." levels of brainpower 24/7

Oh I get that, but in Greek mythology he has a bit more of a sense of humour than you'd think. Even in the game he agrees to put the whole house to sleep so Zagreus can go snooping around undetected.

Either way it's a great voice performance from the lead developer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Played the Miles Morales Spider-Man game, it was good! Very stylish, they made good reuse of the assets from the first Spider-Man game and I mostly enjoyed the story, more for the themes than the straightforward plot which unfortunately got kind of annoying, particularly around Phin constantly berating Miles for being a bad person when she's a loving terrorist with a gang of literal murderers who are destroying the local community.

There was real opportunity there but I think they struggled to really thread that needle between the difference between stopping the bad guys for revenge and stopping the bad guys to save/help other people.

Also not a fan of some of the enemies just .... not being hit. The game tries to create situations where some enemy types are able to counter or absorb particular damage types but that extends to Miles being able to land clean blows at full Spidey-strength and... just nothing happens, he just kind of hits them and there's zero impact and he just stops dead still.

But in terms of being a smaller version of the 2018 game that is more focused on a younger, still learning, new version of Spider-Man who is living up to the "Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man" concept... it's good!

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

GreatGreen posted:

I've always thought "respect for the player" had to do with how many menial, repetitive tasks the game had you do.

"Go find me 45 bear asses by killing bears in that field that only has 30 bear spawns, oh and a bear rear end only has a 40% chance to drop."
"Travel over this gigantic empty expanse of land you can't meaningfully interact with to get to the next waypoint on the map. Repeat this for over half the game's missions."

I just see this as a problem with those activities not being fun, rather than the game disrespecting my time. Like, Monster Hunter is a game all about collecting low-droprate bear asses for hundreds of hours, but I love it because the bears are fun to fight. I like traveling through gigantic empty expanses in Death Stranding because the traversal mechanics are engaging and a bit challenging.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

Oh I get that, but in Greek mythology he has a bit more of a sense of humour than you'd think. Even in the game he agrees to put the whole house to sleep so Zagreus can go snooping around undetected.

Either way it's a great voice performance from the lead developer.

Every character interaction in Hades is a treat. Supergiant has a superpower of finding (and properly utilizing) great talent.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The most cursed game design was the infamous 2.X content in Final Fantasy 14, where the developers admitted that their goal was to make each block of quests take a certain amount of real life time (1 hour I think?). So instead of clicking on one or two glittery spots, you had ten. And so and and so forth.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Volte posted:

Yeah, I loved Death's Door, although I rolled my eyes when I beat it and then found out there's a post-game where I have to revisit the entire game and do a bunch of extra poo poo to see the "true ending" and just called it quits there.

Loved DD, and the postgame stuff doesn't actually take that long, though I might have used a guide a couple of times. Tunic's demo kind of put me off, it just felt kind of sluggish.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Comparing the two, while Death's Door jumps straight into the fighting much faster, I felt that Tunic's levels where a lot tighter in hindsight. DD also never did anything with its cool intro/raven/noir aesthetic, and while they both had a post-game puzzling, Tunic leaned into it much, much more.

I'm very biased, but I do feel that Tunic is the much more complete & memorable product with a focused theme, but I guess a lot of your enjoyment of it depends on how much tolerance you have for a game being unapologetically... obtuse.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don’t know about tunic but death’s door has got that 100% definitely alive human diner cook who gives you hints so that’s a point in its favor

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Death's door is a very safe recommend without anything that's really wrong with it, just a no-frills good game, but it's also not a must-play in the sense of being something you couldn't get anywhere else. you've already seen a lot of it in hyper light drifter.

Tunic is less safe because the action gameplay is simply crummy, but the puzzle solving and layered discovery through the ingame manual that recontextualizes things you've already seen is A+ stuff that makes it a pretty singular game. :ocelot: to everyone who completed That Puzzle without using the internet.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Volte posted:

Maaaybe. I don't think game has much to offer me without any stakes at all, as exploration off the beaten path unlocking some new upgrade or technique is part of the draw of a game like this, plus the danger of being between checkpoints in an unfamiliar area. With god mode, most of the upgrades will be decorative at best and there's no danger. This is one place where actual difficulty levels would be nice to have. Accessibility menu does not make up for proper game balance, be it on a single difficulty or with multiple difficulty levels, and this just doesn't seem like a well-balanced game to me.

Idk man. I believe you when you say you beat Sekiro with no deaths, clearly you don't suck at video games, but while Tunic is pretty tough at times I didn't find that particular boss to be that bad. It's been a long time since I've played and I don't remember the exact progression, but I'm pretty sure you've reached the point where you can level up your stats, it's just a question of figuring out how and where to do it. You aren't like, still using the wooden sword or something are you?

One thing you might be happy to hear is that after this point there are very few "walls" until you hit endgame. Post-Garden Knight you can basically do anything in any of the main zones in the 4 compass directions in any order, and while some of the bosses at the ends of them are quite hard you don't have to beat them when you find them, so there's a ton of opportunity to power up and progress before you tackle them. Hope you push through because the structure of the game after that point is very very cool.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

big cummers ONLY posted:

I bought the boomer shooter humble bundle last month and just want to make sure I can play these in any order. If not, which should come first?

Amid Evil
Dusk
Dread Templar
Forgive me Father
Hedon Bloodrite
Hellbound
Project Warlock
Dread Templar isn't out of Early Access yet (though it will be soon) so you can put that one last

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

goferchan posted:

Idk man. I believe you when you say you beat Sekiro with no deaths, clearly you don't suck at video games, but while Tunic is pretty tough at times I didn't find that particular boss to be that bad. It's been a long time since I've played and I don't remember the exact progression, but I'm pretty sure you've reached the point where you can level up your stats, it's just a question of figuring out how and where to do it. You aren't like, still using the wooden sword or something are you?

One thing you might be happy to hear is that after this point there are very few "walls" until you hit endgame. Post-Garden Knight you can basically do anything in any of the main zones in the 4 compass directions in any order, and while some of the bosses at the ends of them are quite hard you don't have to beat them when you find them, so there's a ton of opportunity to power up and progress before you tackle them. Hope you push through because the structure of the game after that point is very very cool.
Well it turns out I'm too stubborn to let games beat me that easily, so I went back and managed to beat the Garden Knight. It was still a really bad boss battle IMO and I won using the exact same tactics I've been using all along (it's not like he has complicated patterns to read or anything), so I don't particularly feel like I "got good". My main enemy was the wildly shifting camera which made dodging his three-part sword strike inconsistent at best, even with good timing, and getting hit with that was nearly fatal (and if I happened to be out of stamina, was fatal). My successful attempt felt basically the same as all my other attempts. Contrast that with Sekiro where I could feel myself improving, getting closer and closer, and then when I finally did it, feeling like I could do it five more times.

I did read through the manual a bit more and it recommends having an ATT and DEF of 3 for this fight, and mine are only 2. I don't really have much of a concept of how important 1 point of those things is, so maybe I totally handicapped myself. I didn't feel much like backtracking to find more upgrades though so I just powered on through.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
The upgrades make a pretty big difference.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
personally if i ran into a boss that was oneshotting me and taking 1% damage from each hit in a game built around exploring for upgrades and poo poo, i would say "oh i should go exploring for more upgrades" and then go exploring for more upgrades

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Death's Door's postgame was really good, but my one complaint about it (and the game as a whole) is there absolutely should have been a boss fight at the end. I loved Titan Souls and I would have loved a rematch against Truth.

The Grey Crow and the final boss have absolutely fantastic boss themes, and the game's extremely dry British humour is very much my jam.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

personally if i ran into a boss that was oneshotting me and taking 1% damage from each hit in a game built around exploring for upgrades and poo poo, i would say "oh i should go exploring for more upgrades" and then go exploring for more upgrades
As far as I know I explored everywhere already. There was nowhere left to go other than the boss. I obviously missed something but I'm not going to scour every corner of every place I've already visited in hopes of finding an upgrade. If the game is designed around me having found every obscurely hidden secret before I can fight the boss, then that's still a balance issue. (Also, given how much damage even regular enemies dish out and take, being one-shotted by a boss and doing very little damage to it does not seem particularly out of whack)

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Volte posted:

Maaaybe. I don't think game has much to offer me without any stakes at all, as exploration off the beaten path unlocking some new upgrade or technique is part of the draw of a game like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsCmPHDWqeg&t=280s

There is actually some really cool meta puzzles later on. It's all reliant on the manual pages and has nothing to do with combat and redeemed the game in my eyes as they 100% cocked up the difficulty balance. Stick God mod on and enjoy the exploration. I got a bit further than you without resorting to it, but I had no regrets when I did.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
50 hours into P5R. Its fine and is eating my life but character and story wise it copies so much from P4G and it's never as good. Which is a big deal when 2/3s of the gameplay is visual novel.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

No Wave posted:

50 hours into P5R. Its fine and is eating my life but character and story wise it copies so much from P4G and it's never as good. Which is a big deal when 2/3s of the gameplay is visual novel.

This is why I fell off at about the same hour mark. It was just too much, made me miss the superior game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

my main complaint with death's door's postgame was that i thought i was going to get one more secret boss fight out of it and nope

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

:ocelot: to everyone who completed That Puzzle without using the internet.
i needed help with page 9, i just never managed to make the mental connection because who the gently caress looks at load screens when continue's an option? pretty funny trick in hindsight but boy was i annoyed at the time

the moment of epiphany i had when i figured out what to do for That Puzzle stands out real bright in my memory

(e) i'll agree that the combat was kind of a load of arse; it takes until 3/4 of the game is over to get an upgrade that makes it more fun & less difficult. at least some of the boss fights were really cool on aesthetic grounds

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 9, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

StrixNebulosa posted:

e: Second game I'd pick would be a tie between Dangan Ronpa 2

I never played Dangole RonPaul2 but I immensely enjoyed when the Let’s Play drama bomb went off out of nowhere.

That was an *experience* that made up for a slow forum’s year till then…

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

GreatGreen posted:

I've always thought "respect for the player" had to do with how many menial, repetitive tasks the game had you do.

"Go find me 45 bear asses by killing bears in that field that only has 30 bear spawns, oh and a bear rear end only has a 40% chance to drop."
"Travel over this gigantic empty expanse of land you can't meaningfully interact with to get to the next waypoint on the map. Repeat this for over half the game's missions."

Yes, I played EverQuest day 1, too.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hey Steam thread, it's been a while.

While I never played that much Slay the Spire, I've been playing the closed beta of Hellcard with some friends and it's been pretty fun, though it is still a little rough around the edges. Haven't seen it discussed on the forums before so I figured I'd share a link.

The big differentiator between this and Slay the Spire (and most clones) is that the monsters are spread out in an isometric field, so targeting enemies becomes more of an interesting mechanic. The field is split up into sections based on how many players you have (up to 3), and in single-player you can get NPC companions to join you.

Each player selects between two possible floors (but there's only one option if it's a boss floor), and each floor option is a different type of "location" which has a different set of reward options. You get gems (a currency usable on the current run) for beating a floor which you can spend at any of the locations people selected, and each floor option also comes with different enemies so there's some (minimal) strategy/coordination involved in picking them.

One of the rough edges is that it's possible to get some ridiculously overpowered item and/or card combinations that let you take an infinitely-long turn (which can be fun, but it's less fun for your friends unless your infinite turn also lets them continue playing). A few cards have had bugs, but they seem to be fixed promptly. They've recently added a "torment" system where you can opt into an increased difficulty (things that make monsters more powerful or limit things you can do), but the system is very much a work-in-progress. Another rough edge is that you have to 'create' a new character for each game, but it doesn't remember your last outfit and starting artifact choices.

There's a demo that lets you play like 2/3 of the game, and the demo also supports multiplayer. I'd recommend giving it a try if you like this genre or want a new type of game to co-op.

The full game launches sometime this quarter, and given the aforementioned rough edges I suspect it will 'release' as Early Access, but I've been enjoying it so I thought I'd post. :cheers:

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

LLSix posted:

Anyone think we'll ever get a Fallout 5?

Fallout 4 was released in 2015. That was 7 years ago.

Fallout 1 was released in 1997.
Fallout 2 was released in 1998!

Holy cow, cancel my earlier question, Fallout 1 & 2 were released only a year apart? What sort of dark sorcery allowed such fast development?

Our best hope is Microsoft impatience.

I don’t think they made the investment in the Bethesda acquisition to have IP like Fallout sit dormant for 10-15 years, or to have the IP carried alone by a product like FO76.

They have other studios who can do something with the IP (hello, Obsidian) even if it’s not Fallout 5 by number.

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

DerekSmartymans posted:

I never played Dangole RonPaul2 but I immensely enjoyed when the Let’s Play drama bomb went off out of nowhere.

That was an *experience* that made up for a slow forum’s year till then…

Pretty sure I was inactive for whenever that was, what'd I miss?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

MonkeyforaHead posted:

IIRC, the game hadn't had an English release at that point, the person doing the LP was translating the game while doing it, so you had a bunch of fans who weren't members of the forums reading the thread to see the game.

Then Lowtax put the LP sub-forum behind the paywall so you couldn't even read it without paying for the forums. It made people angry, I'm sure.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

MonkeyforaHead posted:

At the time the games were not translated into English, and the LPer orenoren was actually translating as they went, doing (afaik) the first/only English translation of the game.
For whatever reason there was a massive fanbase of tumblr posters obsessed with the game, all lurking the forums to read the only extant translation.

At some point the LP subforum went under the paywall, and all of a sudden there was a huge wave of tumblr posters registering for the site, posting terribly, account sharing etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpcl_P9ZTw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cqtaKQLwA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

MonkeyforaHead posted:

The short answer is the game was very popular in online communities, and the Retsuprae guy(s?) were doing a Let’s Play that was dramatically popular with fans of the game, until Lowtax dropped it behind the paywall suddenly. Cue dozens of new accounts and new accounts getting banned and reregged and getting banned again because the fandom wasn’t a good fit for Lowtax’s goonforum of the day.

I just remember it as a reverse forum invasion of weebs and tumblrites and :sickos: who are a part of anything online, and the goon response to that reverse forum invasion-that-you-had-to-pay-:10bux:-just-to-get-trolled-then-banned 🤔.

E: f;b