Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

What's the consensus on getting T6 trophies for Mystic Tributes? I'm getting close to Astralaria and slowly building up the stuff for an Aurene weapon so I figured I should actually get a strategy now. I've been doing trophy shipments from LS4 but they seem heavily weighted to T5 which I have plenty of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Promote the T5 materials to t6

http://gw2profits.com/forge.php?crafting_type=FineCommonRare&order=name&arrange=all

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Humerus posted:

What's the consensus on getting T6 trophies for Mystic Tributes? I'm getting close to Astralaria and slowly building up the stuff for an Aurene weapon so I figured I should actually get a strategy now. I've been doing trophy shipments from LS4 but they seem heavily weighted to T5 which I have plenty of.

If you have a surplus of spirit shards, then T5 -> T6 promotion is a good route.

If you have laurels, you can trade for the T6 bags.

Otherwise, gold.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

Bought 25 keys, got it on the first one. Pretty pogchamp if I do say so myself.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Humerus posted:

if you have EoD

Magic trophy scavenger https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scavenger_Protocol:_Magic_Trophies Not magical scavenger trophies for the other ones.

If you are MF coins into clovers you will get some T6. So always buy your T6 last if you buy them

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
drat, I shouldn't of slept on stocking up on these.

Within a month they went from 50s to being bought up and relisted for 2g 80s, knew they were too cheap for how much of a pain it is to get just a couple.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 6, 2023

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
I'm sorry for continuing the How To Play discussion if you all feel like the subject is done, but I feel like such a fish out of water.

I've played a LOT of FF14, where all the complexity is in the rotations, and none in the character building. So I think I'm misunderstanding how combat works, I've been pretty much hitting everything on cooldown with my baseline mesmer, mostly only holding off on things if I need them to kite, interrupt, or the like. But it feels so weird to do that!
Can anyone help me get into the right mindset of how to approach skills and rotations in this game? It feels (and I could be wrong) like every guide or there begins and ends with the build, as if how to actually play is self-evident once the right talents and runes are in place. And it might be, but it hasn't clicked yet, and I feel so dumb!

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Bobfly posted:

I'm sorry for continuing the How To Play discussion if you all feel like the subject is done, but I feel like such a fish out of water.

I've played a LOT of FF14, where all the complexity is in the rotations, and none in the character building. So I think I'm misunderstanding how combat works, I've been pretty much hitting everything on cooldown with my baseline mesmer, mostly only holding off on things if I need them to kite, interrupt, or the like. But it feels so weird to do that!
Can anyone help me get into the right mindset of how to approach skills and rotations in this game? It feels (and I could be wrong) like every guide or there begins and ends with the build, as if how to actually play is self-evident once the right talents and runes are in place. And it might be, but it hasn't clicked yet, and I feel so dumb!

Rotations are hugely important, and while there are certainly some simpler 4-5 button builds or priority based rotations in the game for certain classes, Mesmer in particular is really badly suited to hitting everything off cooldown (the Virtusoso elite spec at level 80 is a bit more straightforward and was explicitly added as a less confusing Mesmer option.)

I’d recommend starting with this guide for base Mesmer:

https://snowcrows.com/guides/professions/introduction-to-mesmer

In particular, pay attention to the nuances of clones versus phantasms versus illusions and try to, on a holistic level, consider your build and rotation around whether you are trying to deal power, or direct, damage, or condition, or damage over time, damage, and specialize.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Mesmer is one of the most complex classes in terms of skill rotation because a lot of your damage comes from generating clones and then shattering them at the right moment.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
You mash the buttons and occasionally mash F1 and F2 shatter skill when you have clones, and save the other two for when you need a stun or extra dodge, I don't think it's actually that complex.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Also clones die with their target so mesmers (outside of virtuoso) need to pay more attention to target selection for open world stuff than most classes

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!
Mesmer feels preposterously cool, though, so there's definitely a motivation to learn it properly. I love my fancy, mustachioed norn wizard!
Thank you so much for the link, it's very informative on the skill by skill level, though I'm still working on internalising how it all fits together. I'll comb through YouTube some more.

E: So I should optimally retarget before my target dies, or what is the best way to handle the situation with clones dying with the target?

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 6, 2023

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've played mesmer as my main basically all throughout GW1 and GW2 (don't even want to think about how many years that is by now) and even though GW2 mesmer is somewhat different than the lockdown-based GW1 mesmer, it's probably the most unique class in the whole franchise and one I still love playing. Every elite spec adds something new and currently I'm happy playing as virtuoso, even though I have no idea how "meta" it is at this point.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Bobfly posted:

find out which skills do the most damage and push those ones first

greatsword 4 with the greatsword trait in domination is a great (:haw:) damage dealer for instance

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bobfly posted:

what is the best way to handle the situation with clones dying with the target?

Isn't there a trait that causes them to explode in a small aoe when they expire? It's not going to be full damage, but it would help you get something from them at least.

Virtuoso I've barely touched, but it's a much more relaxed version of the Mesmer. Instead of clones you have blades, which you keep even out of combat. If you get a chance to unlock it, maybe give it a try?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Bobfly posted:

I honestly feel like this is what every gw2 player wants to talk about more than anything. When the steam launch happened, vets were frothing at the mouth, churning in deep parts of their souls and other bits, relentlessly helping noobs. It was like watching those giant bees try to mate so hard they kill everyone including the female. You'll never make a gw2 player happier than letting them be helpful.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
I've spent a surprising amount of my time in the game just showing people where the jumping puzzles are and helping them get through it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I don't really know how to play any class Mesmer well, but I do know that "use your highest damage skills as soon as they come off of cooldown" is more or less how to play Engineer and Elementalist. The catch there is there's a lot of buttonpushing involved to select the bank of skills which includes the next highest damage skill you have available.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Hyperlynx posted:

The catch there is there's a lot of buttonpushing involved to select the bank of skills which includes the next highest damage skill you have available.

Grenades are why I'll never be an optimal mech and am not even attempting healing scrapper. I still want to give Mesmer a try, but that LI tag on Hardstuck is almost always where I'll be gravitating towards.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Mailer posted:

Grenades are why I'll never be an optimal mech and am not even attempting healing scrapper. I still want to give Mesmer a try, but that LI tag on Hardstuck is almost always where I'll be gravitating towards.

Neither heal mech nor heal scrapper run grenade kit, they both run elixir gun but that's a lot less APM than spamming shrapnel grenade on cooldown

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Don't stress out about rotations too much. As long as you press your abilities in a rougly sensible order, you are probably gonna do just fine.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009
Is there any sensible guide on how to benchmark how well one plays a build on the Aerodrome golem? I know theres something about selecting boons and condos, but not all of them.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Mr. Neutron posted:

Don't stress out about rotations too much. As long as you press your abilities in a rougly sensible order, you are probably gonna do just fine.

Yeah it's this.

In the case of engineer, I have a condition build that's supposed to cycle between pistol 5, bomb kit 2, flamethrower 4 and 2 to trigger might via fire field + blast combo, grenades when not doing that, and probably some other stuff that I'm not l33t enough to be doing. Very stupid, honestly, and I'm not skilled enough to play it properly, but fun.

I still love my engy character, though.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Luggage posted:

Is there any sensible guide on how to benchmark how well one plays a build on the Aerodrome golem? I know theres something about selecting boons and condos, but not all of them.

If you want to tryhard, you can download BlishHud, and one of the modules there will give you a DPS meter and a boon uptime meter

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Luggage posted:

Snowcrows golem setup guide

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Also worth noting that you only really need to hit ~80% of the Snow Crows benchmark number for a build (on the golem) to be at the same level or above everyone besides the few psychos who set the marks.

binge crotching posted:

Isn't there a trait that causes them to explode in a small aoe when they expire? It's not going to be full damage, but it would help you get something from them at least.

'clone death' traits got removed about 7 years ago, you might be thinking of Necromancer's Death Nova.

namirie kairi
Aug 16, 2019
do we have a guild in this game if so send me an invite Namirie.1453 just Note im a WvW player on the server ET

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

namirie kairi posted:

do we have a guild in this game if so send me an invite Namirie.1453 just Note im a WvW player on the server ET

Hey, there are two! I just recently joined GOON. The OP for this thread is big but it links to both of the guild's discords, you can join one and find instructions on how to get invites there!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Adhesive Gamin posted:

'clone death' traits got removed about 7 years ago, you might be thinking of Necromancer's Death Nova.

I guess it's been a long time since I really looked at Mesmer traits.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO
Bought the hiss emote, spear-pulled a dude off a keep wall in WvW on Gonk and did /hiss at him while several people were beating his rear end on the ground. 10/10.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
For revenant enjoyers, Hizen made another video, this time about Vindicator and the build is amazing, especially the condition variant.

I have tried a similar build in the past but never in a million years would I think to run Salvation :stare: But it actually works brilliantly. Incredible sustain, great damage.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you didn't care about doing the story in order, what would you say is the optimal route of unlocking the game and masteries to get the most important stuff unlocked on a fresh account?

I'd say probably PoF until you got raptor/springer/skimmer unlocked and upgraded > HoT until you got gliding and updraft and meta waypoints > EoD all the way to the end for globalization 30g a week and jade bot scavenger loot > season 4 > icebrood saga for drizzlewood and essence chests and grothmar events > season 3, particulary bitterfrost for filling in ascended trinket gaps > everything else for return achievements.

Am I far off on that?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you didn't care about doing the story in order, what would you say is the optimal route of unlocking the game and masteries to get the most important stuff unlocked on a fresh account?

I'd say probably PoF until you got raptor/springer/skimmer unlocked and upgraded > HoT until you got gliding and updraft and meta waypoints > EoD all the way to the end for globalization 30g a week and jade bot scavenger loot > season 4 > icebrood saga for drizzlewood and essence chests and grothmar events > season 3, particulary bitterfrost for filling in ascended trinket gaps > everything else for return achievements.

Am I far off on that?

I don't know when Central Tyrian masteries unlock these days, but I'd pause all that to immediately beeline for autoloot.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Unlocking basic raptor, springer, and glider are more important than autoloot but it’d be next on my list after that

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Am I far off on that?

I have no idea, but at 900 gems a pop that's a pretty long journey. Also, to be even more pedantic, where do the copper-fed/silver salvagers and maps fit into that? Do you get those first or unlock episodes? Are there other breakpoints where it's better to buy some gem-only item? Should all this be sidetracked until after ascended gear to get into T2?

(Not aiming this at you specifically, it's just stuff that has come up when I think about what I actually need to go for)

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Me after looking up half the things in these posts on the wiki: I think I'll log in and do more hearts in starter zones

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mr. Neutron posted:

For revenant enjoyers, Hizen made another video, this time about Vindicator and the build is amazing, especially the condition variant.

I have tried a similar build in the past but never in a million years would I think to run Salvation :stare: But it actually works brilliantly. Incredible sustain, great damage.

Wow, gonna have to try this out even though my Cele gear is just "normal" pieces with different stat blocks.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mailer posted:

Also, to be even more pedantic, where do the copper-fed/silver salvagers and maps fit into that? Do you get those first or unlock episodes? Are there other breakpoints where it's better to buy some gem-only item? Should all this be sidetracked until after ascended gear to get into T2?

Copper fed you want to use on stuff that comes out of (blue) Common unidentified stuff, as they don't have sigils in them. (Green) unidentified stuff you actually want a Runecrafters salvage kit, because it has the 100% chance to salvage the sigils on green stuff, which gives you a higher chance of getting the more expensive rare charms and symbols out of those. Instead of a silver fed salvage kit you can just make mystic salvage kits using Mystic Forge stones, which have 250 charges, and you only use that one on (yellow) Rare equipment to get a higher chance of getting ecoplasm out of them.

I use Black Lion salvage kits on (Orange) exotic stuff because it gives a 100% chance of actually getting the rune out of the item (to sell on the TP, usually), getting more ecoplasm, and getting dark matter for ascended crafting, and you can also get the Insignias out of stuff which you can sell for a lot. You can get black lion kits from daily login chests, but if you don't have any just use a mystic salvage kit.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Problem with the runecrafter salvage kit is it is almost 200g worth of gems and another inventory space forever taken up by it, you'd have to salvage tens of thousands to make up the initial investment at around 50 copper better then using the copper-fed.

Blacklion salvage kit I only use on some specific exotics with good extractions with any ectoplasm as a bonus, this site has a list of some of those items
http://www.gw2profits.com/equipment_salvage.php

Silver salvage kit just isn't worth it because you can make more than enough 250-use mystic salvage kits from the mystic forge stones you'll pile up in your inventory and you only need to spend karma for the recipe at the right merchant.

Copper-fed is a must-have quality of life upgrade so you can stop interacting with those vendors except for selling.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

EoD all the way to the end for globalization 30g a week and jade bot scavenger loot

Can you elaborate on this? I bounced of EOD hard so this sounds like something I'm missing out on