Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

dragonshardz posted:

What little MO does install into the game directory - F4SE and the like - is required across most modern modlists for the game, so the distinction you're drawing is almost meaningless. MO leaves the vanilla game executables and data completely unmodified, without needing to make an entirely separate copy of the game.

In fact, I think the "Stock Game" feature is the less-efficient method.

The point is not needing to swap ENBs around yourself and in the case of some Skyrim lists not need to get the downgrader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Welp I got bit by the Bloatfly again and reinstalled FO4, and am figuring out a new mod list from scratch. Now, it's been a few years, so I read through most of the thread since my last post, and saw some interesting things.

For example, I saw that Armorsmith Extended/AWKCR has seemingly been deposed by Equipment and Crafting Overhaul due to the latter being more elegant and less janky/bloated. Alright, good. This brings me to my first Question:

Are there any other notable examples of some Hot New poo poo coming along and doing the same things better than some old staples?

More specifically:

-FallUI seems to be one example, yes/no?

-Lighting/environmental stuff like Natural Atmospheric Commonwealth? It used to be pretty great one-stop-shop to make things spookier and radder, but hasn't been updated in 5 years and had its fair share of jank even back in the day.

-Is Vivid Fallout still the go-to pick for a prettier-but-better-optimised texture pack or are there other worthwhile lightweight alternatives to make the game better looking?

-Scrap Everything. Any good mod around with the same basic idea but maybe less heavy handed? I could accept not being able to scrap quite everything, if it lead to less performance and stability trouble.

-Anything with the functionality of Take and Equip or Use, which apparently is broken nowadays? I remember using it before, and I also just finished a brand new playthrough of New Vegas with a similar feature available, and learning to live without that little QoL thing again is not an appealing thought. I'm gonna be playing Survival mode and it's just so goddamn convenient to directly gobble up food and drink from the environment instead of having to bring up the Pip-boy every single time.

And more generally, any recommendations for good poo poo of following descriptions (not necessarily new stuff, I've just loving forgotten what I've used before):

-Speaking of Survival mode, what's a good way to make Survival mode enemies not as spongy? I have Unlimited Survival for unlocking saves and console and all that poo poo, but it doesn't touch the damage portion of Survival.

-Any new supply scarcity mods? I may try out Horizon some other time, but in the meanwhile something that just makes the game not dole out meds, drugs and ammo like candy would be great. I remember trying drat Apocalypse and not being quite happy with it before, and I might just give that another chance but any other recommendations are welcome.
EDIT: Actually it seems like DA has been quite heavily updated from when I last tried it. And it seems to do the whole damage thing too, which I'd forgotten about. So what's the scuttlebutt on this mod, any caveats I should know about?

- I think I have essentials like the Unofficial Patch and other stability/performance/general fix poo poo figured out, but feel free to shout out any newcomers in this field, such as F4SE plugins like Baka Scrapheap or whatever.

- GUNS. Guns guns guns. I'm gonna be installing a mess of my old favourites like the Service Rifle and trawling through SeanBeansShako's list posts for new ones, but if anyone has any standouts in mind for well made, somewhat lore-fitting and not blatantly, stupidly OP gun mods from the last three-ish years, let me hear of them.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 10, 2022

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Is this the best place to ask about Fallout4 VR modding?

Somehow I got a whole bunch of mods all working perfectly together through Vortex, and the game starts up perfectly.

BUT there are 4 pieces that crash the game before it even loads if they are enabled:
- Vivid Weathers - FO4 - Far Harbour
- Vivid Weathers - Nuka World
- StartMeUpNukaWorldPatch
- StartMeUpFarHarborPatch

The Vivid Weathers and Start Me Up main mods are enabled and working fine, just not these DLC patches. The load order seems ok - the DLC patches are set to load after the main files.

Any ideas what's causing the crashes? Sometimes when I enable StartMeUpNukaWorldPatch it has a warning that masters are missing, but I double checked and all of the master files are there.

Could I play without them working, or would the game break once I tried to play the DLC? Should I try to shuffle the load order? I let Vortex do it automatically.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

I am looking at The Circle, a Sim Settlements 2 plan for Red Rocket and Im loving what's been done with the raised garden - cinderblock walls and earth. I'd love to start playing with that sort of setup - does anyone know which mod adds the Cinderblock Halfwalls in use by this design? And where they can be located on the workshop menu? I can never find anything on that dang menu...

Edit: Scratch that, I remembered that in Skyrim, Better Console allows you to see the mod that is responsible for an item. So I grabbed that for Fallout, and now I know that Sim Settlements 2 adds these nifty Cinderblock Halfwalls, but they just dont appear in my workshop menu. Hmmm...

Moreau fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Nov 23, 2022

IllustriousChen
Feb 16, 2012
They might be unlockables.
There are magazines that give you new items for your settlements.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Might also be opional addons for SS2 - forget what they're called, it's been so long (and original SS to boot), but there were various extra buildings/plots/components that you could add to SS, not sure if those would show as the base mod or not.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Been having some weird lag for a while when doing actions like drinking or eating in survival mode where it would be super delayed or would try to get into the VR pod creation, and it just wouldn't activate. Disabled a bunch of mods and managed to stop it, now I have to figure out which is the cause. The least fun part of modding.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
the most interesting thing about the most recent todd howard review is that they basically just make an instance of the game and throw bots into it to play the game and then log the crashes. like they basically playtest their game like they're vault tec

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Honestly sounds like a pretty smart supplement to traditional QA for an open world game, at least for things that require a lot of rote, counterintuitive play choices like interacting with level geometry

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Players still do it better, cause many of us are right and proper cursed

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
Are there any mods that pair well with Sim Settlements 2?

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Are there any mods that tidy up settlements, get rid of the leaf matter, those annoying shrub bushes, etc - that don't break precombines? Particularly in Sanctuary, oh to be able to either fix the existing buildings or remove them entirely. That playground, too!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/65565

It's extremely new. I've not used it enough to give any sort of long term report on stability

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm quite fond of the old but very functional Journal of the Sole Survivor, which adds a holotape that you can edit to do some immersive diary roleplay, or in my case, keep to-do notes and reminders without having to clutter my desk. What I'm wondering is, would it be safe to mark it as an ESL in FO4Edit (not an actual ESL, just an ESP marked as such), or would that break something? It's a single holotape placed on a desk in your old home so in many ways it's a quite light mod, but on the other hand it's a drat word processor for Fallout 4, one with a both a Cell record (for placing the holodisk) and a Quest record attached to it.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'm quite fond of the old but very functional Journal of the Sole Survivor, which adds a holotape that you can edit to do some immersive diary roleplay, or in my case, keep to-do notes and reminders without having to clutter my desk. What I'm wondering is, would it be safe to mark it as an ESL in FO4Edit (not an actual ESL, just an ESP marked as such), or would that break something? It's a single holotape placed on a desk in your old home so in many ways it's a quite light mod, but on the other hand it's a drat word processor for Fallout 4, one with a both a Cell record (for placing the holodisk) and a Quest record attached to it.

You can have xEdit check if it's ESL'able by putting "-PseudoESL" (without the quotes) into the launch arguments. If you run xEdit with that argument, any mod file starting with [FE in the filename list is ESL flaggable.

In general, adding a new cell record is a point against it as that can cause issues if anything else tries to reference that cell. My gut instinct is that it's probably okay but check with xEdit first.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Relyssa posted:

You can have xEdit check if it's ESL'able by putting "-PseudoESL" (without the quotes) into the launch arguments. If you run xEdit with that argument, any mod file starting with [FE in the filename list is ESL flaggable.

In general, adding a new cell record is a point against it as that can cause issues if anything else tries to reference that cell. My gut instinct is that it's probably okay but check with xEdit first.

Much appreciated!
It just shows up with its regular filename of journal.esp, while the random plugins I also included to make sure -PseudoESL was working properly do have the [FE 00x] prefix. That about seals it, I won't meddle in forces beyond my ken.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Does anybody know how to make NVIDIA Geforce Experience detect Fallout 4? I can't believe I'm actually starting to miss AMD's software; for all its interface and performance sins, at least that one allowed you to add an exe manually.

I already have Experience set up to scan the correct drives, it just doesn't find Fallout 4. It did find Fallout 76, which wasn't even fully installed, it was just some leftover files that Steam hadn't deleted (they've now been removed, out of a faint hope it'd make F4 appear somehow. It didn't, but F76 is at least gone from the list).

e: I even tried removing all drives from the list of potential scan locations other than the one that has Fallout 4 and nothing else but Wabbajack installed on it. It's still just the old list of detected games. Even deleting CefCache in AppData\Local\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA GeForce Experience didn't change anything other than making me log in again.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 8, 2023

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just wondering why it matters? For its optimized settings?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'd like to make sure G-Sync is working, the modlist I'm using (Life in the Ruins) has an optional addon that lets you play with G-Sync or FreeSync, the former of which my monitor is supposed to support. Come to think of it I'm not actually sure I need the GeForce Experience page for Fallout 4 at all for that, it's already set up in the NVIDIA control panel. I'd honestly completely forgotten that until you asked! Guess I don't have to mess around with GeForce Experience after all, nice.

e: this post brought to you by the stream of consciousness

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 8, 2023

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ThaumPenguin posted:

I'd like to make sure G-Sync is working, the modlist I'm using (Life in the Ruins) has an optional addon that lets you play with G-Sync or FreeSync, the former of which my monitor is supposed to support. Come to think of it I'm not actually sure I need the GeForce Experience page for Fallout 4 at all for that, it's already set up in the NVIDIA control panel. I'd honestly completely forgotten that until you asked! Guess I don't have to mess around with GeForce Experience after all, nice.

I never use GeForce Experience. It’s just bloat-ware to me. Nvidia Control Panel is where it’s at.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ThaumPenguin posted:

As far as I know, like most games, if you already have gsync set up, vrr should work out of the box.

I have GeForce Experience because it's required for shadowplay recording. gently caress 'em for gating it behind an account, though.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

I never use GeForce Experience. It’s just bloat-ware to me. Nvidia Control Panel is where it’s at.

Yeah NVIDIA Control Panel is where it's at, no bells or whistles whatsoever. It just works.

Not gonna lie, I'm not sure I've used Geforce Experience for anything other than screenshots, recordings and especially instant replays. On that front it's absolutely superior to AMD Radeon's Software for the sole reason that they don't have as many inexplicable restrictions on shortcuts. Still baffled that AMD kept demanding that my screenshot shortcut had to start with ctrl+shift (you know, those keys that would never interfere in the framing of a scene). Weird stuff.
Anyway I don't plan on using either of them for screenshots anymore, better to just go with a dedicated program.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Nvidia’s screenshot function also always inexplicably stops working for me after some time, requiring a restart (what’s more annoying is not realizing when it happens).

Now I just try to run everything through Steam (Steam Input is another reason).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Anybody here have experience porting over a Wabbajack mod list from a PC to a steam deck? I’ve heard it’s possible, and I’ve followed various tutorials, but something’s not clicking - either MO2 fails to run f4_se or the game runs without any actual mods loaded despite the full list toggled (where I’m currently at). I assume there’s some filepath that’s out of whack somewhere

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Fallout 4 now supports DLSS/FSR/XESS thanks to a new mod from the same author as the Skyrim mod. ENB does not work with upscaling modes it does however work with DLAA mode of DLSS. ENB was planned to be updated to support it but the whole thing with Boris happened I won't rehash here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did he get drafted as a mobik and blown up by a drone while invading Ukraine or something

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Someone on Reddit made a thread saying people should fund his patreon for all the good work he does. People replied with all the anti lgbtq stuff he has posted. He then takes his ball and goes home saying he won't work on ENB anymore.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

cheesetriangles posted:

Someone on Reddit made a thread saying people should fund his patreon for all the good work he does. People replied with all the anti lgbtq stuff he has posted. He then takes his ball and goes home saying he won't work on ENB anymore.

Rest in piss, honestly

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

cheesetriangles posted:

Fallout 4 now supports DLSS/FSR/XESS thanks to a new mod from the same author as the Skyrim mod. ENB does not work with upscaling modes it does however work with DLAA mode of DLSS. ENB was planned to be updated to support it but the whole thing with Boris happened I won't rehash here.

One of the developers (PureDark) has a version that works with ENB, for both Skyrim and FO4. It's in beta right now and currently only available on their Patreon.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
heard the horizon mod got updated.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tankbuster posted:

heard the horizon mod got updated.

1.9 is in it's alpha release right now. Wanderer started up a new YouTube series with it and so far the basics seem to be working fine, tho he immediately turned off the new harvesting animation because it was taking way too much time

I like that the main benches got merged into a single one, and any resource bench can control all of them which makes things less tedious

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Is there a wabbajack modlist with the newest horizon?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Nordick posted:

For example, I saw that Armorsmith Extended/AWKCR has seemingly been deposed by Equipment and Crafting Overhaul due to the latter being more elegant and less janky/bloated. Alright, good. This brings me to my first Question:

Can Equipment and Crafting Overhaul be used as a direct replacement for Armorsmith Extended & AWKCR?

I'm not planning to play Fallout 4 right away (currently have a modded Skyrim install), but I found a mod guide called the Midnight Ride that walks you through getting Fallout 4 modded with bug fixes, tweaks, etc. It's by the same author as the Viva New Vegas guide.

Thing is, there's a section in it called 'Mods to Avoid', and it lists those two mods:

quote:

Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource: Extremely bloated and buggy, makes tons of out-of-scope/undocumented changes.

Armorsmith Extended:
Old and buggy, not to mention extraordinarily overpowered.

I realized from looking at the Fallout 4 Nexus that those were two mods that I had used last time I tried modding Fallout 4, and that there were a few mods that require it (I don't remember which ones, though).

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I've been using Equipment and Crafting Overhaul and it's sister mods and it's been pretty good. It's been ages since I used Armorsmith and Armor Keywords, so I can't directly compare.

I installed all three of the mods - Equipment and Crafting Overhaul Redux, Legendary Effect Overhaul, and New Equipment Overhaul, and they're a great fit. Only mod conflict is a mod that allows you to "customize" clothing in game, so there's like, the plaid shirt can be over ten different colors of plaid.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Max Wilco posted:

Can Equipment and Crafting Overhaul be used as a direct replacement for Armorsmith Extended & AWKCR?

I'm not planning to play Fallout 4 right away (currently have a modded Skyrim install), but I found a mod guide called the Midnight Ride that walks you through getting Fallout 4 modded with bug fixes, tweaks, etc. It's by the same author as the Viva New Vegas guide.

Thing is, there's a section in it called 'Mods to Avoid', and it lists those two mods:

I realized from looking at the Fallout 4 Nexus that those were two mods that I had used last time I tried modding Fallout 4, and that there were a few mods that require it (I don't remember which ones, though).

To answer your question directly, yes. ECO and its components are intended to replace those mods wholesale and are better in every way. Avoid AWKCR like the plague, it runs like garbage now.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Tankbuster posted:

Is there a wabbajack modlist with the newest horizon?

FO4: Enhanced Edition uses Horizon but I don't know if it's updated yet.

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
Anyone played through the whole Fens Sheriff Dept mod yet? I think it's incredible from a technical perspective and all the work that went into it... But I hate the story and characters.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Is there a mod out there that adjusts combat to be more lethal on both sides? I want to be able to generate Tarkov-like combat where different guns are ideal based on armor you're going against, etc. Does anything like that exist? I was thinking of doing the frost mod but heard it's pretty brutal beyond just the combat.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Faded Mars posted:

Anyone played through the whole Fens Sheriff Dept mod yet? I think it's incredible from a technical perspective and all the work that went into it... But I hate the story and characters.

Lily talks way too much. It's pretty impressive so far, I think it's solid. The environments the devs built are great. The voice acting is pretty good across the board. I haven't finished the mod yet but I am enjoying it

If they just toned Lily down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Is there a mod out there that adjusts combat to be more lethal on both sides? I want to be able to generate Tarkov-like combat where different guns are ideal based on armor you're going against, etc. Does anything like that exist? I was thinking of doing the frost mod but heard it's pretty brutal beyond just the combat.

Try horizon, although it rebalances literally everything, including drop rates and how ambushes work with a big emphasis on making settlements valuable (they'll act as respawn points when you e.g. eat a Molotov at a bad time).

I'll always shill for it since all the changes align with my preferences.

E: More elaboration: It's a total overhaul. So the progression is different (every few levels you get bonus perks which are all revised), crafting is redone to be more substantial, etc. HP is designed to be an excursion resource, and you need to craft heal-over-time items back at camp/base.

There are good affordances for supporting "I love to loot everything" gameplay but otherwise it's fun to pick a load out and head to explore someplace. You might actually find yourself avoiding a fight or not finishing an encounter, or actually picking up a dropped raider's shotgun and using it along the way. Since it's got respawns it's still OK to take risks without worrying you'll have to hit up a reload.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 8, 2023