Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sherlock Holmes stories are never mysteries solvable by the audience anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Sherlock Holmes stories are never mysteries solvable by the audience anyway.

Which I always hated. The Guy Ritchie movies were the first Holmes things I actually enjoyed, because the style was fun enough for me to not care about that.

I know not everyone reads mysteries and tries to solve along, but as a kid that was 100% my reason for liking Poirot over Holmes.

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 04:58 on Jan 9, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
While not a movie, the Great Ace Attorney games were neat about trying to turn Holmes-style mysteries into something actually solvable.

There's also an entire case devoted solely to dunking on The Adventure of the Speckled Band.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And rightly so, that poo poo was the craziest rear end-pull Doyle ever did, including when he took up a real life cause to get a recently convicted man acquitted because he knew in his heart that the real culprit was bigfoot

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Speckled Band was fine, Red Headed League was some bullshit.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Yeah I think I'm with you

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

What about the one where the guy turned into an ape because of drugs

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

flavor.flv posted:

And rightly so, that poo poo was the craziest rear end-pull Doyle ever did, including when he took up a real life cause to get a recently convicted man acquitted because he knew in his heart that the real culprit was bigfoot

I need to know more

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Seems pretty open and shut

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Gaius Marius posted:

Another case also has an entire gameplay mechanic devoted to calling the Red-Headed League's mystery out as some bullshit.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Gaius Marius posted:

Made even more egregious by him reusing the exact same premise for The Three Garridebs (unusual feature of a person who rarely leaves their home/place of work used to lure them away from said place for nefarious purposes).

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He also believed in fairies. A photographer had some pics of them made, and he fell for it hook, line and sinker. Could NOT be talked out of it. The photographer guy even told him how he did it and Doyle would not budge.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He also believed in fairies. A photographer had some pics of them made, and he fell for it hook, line and sinker. Could NOT be talked out of it. The photographer guy even told him how he did it and Doyle would not budge.

Two young girls faked the infamous Cottingley Fairies photos in 1917 and Doyle completely fell for the hoax, becoming their biggest supporter

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Doyle was close friends with Harry Houdini but they fell out when the latter started debunking spiritualist frauds.
He became convinced Houdini could do real magic

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When jumping into this thread to read the new posts I forget we're talking about Arthur Conan Doyle and think everyone's talking about Doyle Wolfgang Von Frankenstein, who is God's perfect idiot and probably also believes in fairies and that Houdini could perform real magic.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Was Doyle insane?

“How did he escape those bonds?!”

“I did it like this”

“Impossible, must have been the devil’s pepper you conjured”

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

Doyle was close friends with Harry Houdini but they fell out when the latter started debunking spiritualist frauds.

Lol that owns

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bitterandtwisted posted:

Houdini also co-wrote a story with Lovecraft - probably the usual "famous non-writer suggests an idea that the writer then writes", but still, guy got around the 1920s fiction circuit.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Houdini set up a staged seance using all the common tricks mediums used to fool people, then ran it through again with the lights on and the tablecloth off the table so that everybody could see the strings and levers, Penn and Teller style

Doyle approached him afterwards and said "good job, I think they bought it. Now why didn't you tell me you could talk to ghosts I thought we were friends"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

oldpainless posted:

More moriarty

Moreiarty

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

flavor.flv posted:

Houdini set up a staged seance using all the common tricks mediums used to fool people, then ran it through again with the lights on and the tablecloth off the table so that everybody could see the strings and levers, Penn and Teller style

Doyle approached him afterwards and said "good job, I think they bought it. Now why didn't you tell me you could talk to ghosts I thought we were friends"

I love it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I legit never knew that ACD was a gullible idiot. You'd think a celebrated, successful, good writer would have better perception or critical thinking skills.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
No wonder he hated Sherlock Holmes so much.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I legit never knew that ACD was a gullible idiot. You'd think a celebrated, successful, good writer would have better perception or critical thinking skills.

Why on earth would I think that

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Excellence in one area does not imply competency in general. One of the most important lessons one can learn in life.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why on earth would I think that

alright out with it, which celebrated, successful, good writer are you?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Carthag Tuek posted:

alright out with it, which celebrated, successful, good writer are you?

Chuck Tingle

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Pounded in the Butt by Arthur Conan Doyle's Unshakable Belief in Spiritualism

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Fighting Trousers posted:

Pounded in the Butt by Arthur Conan Doyle's Unshakable Belief in Spiritualism

I'd read it

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Isn't there a tv series where Doyle and Houdini solve crimes

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Solved in the Mystery by my Closest Friend who lied to me

on FX tuesdays

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jedit posted:

Houdini also co-wrote a story with Lovecraft - probably the usual "famous non-writer suggests an idea that the writer then writes", but still, guy got around the 1920s fiction circuit.

Houdini made him add an "it was all a dream" ending because he didn't want to suggest that magic was actually real, which pissed Lovecraft off.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Gaius Marius posted:

Excellence in one area does not imply competency in general. One of the most important lessons one can learn in life.

Yeah, I get this, but it's not like we're talking about being an awesome dancer but lovely chemist.

Doyle wrote mysteries that involved cleverness, planning, forethought... It feels like there should be some sort of intellectual overlap with that.

I mean, obviously there wasn't but it's weird to me that was the case.

Anyway, Chuck Tingle forever.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

Isn't there a tv series where Doyle and Houdini solve crimes

houdini & doyle, ran for one season in 2016

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pre:
INT. OFFICE                      NIGHT

DOYLE is in his office, talking on the
phone.
              DOYLE
       This is a classic case of
       demon fetal harvest

PAN LEFT
In the background is a poster showing
a muscular man in chains with the text
"I want to believe" superimposed.

CUT TO
HOUDINI's office is spartan.

HOUDINI
             (sighing)
       Doyle...

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Houdini made him add an "it was all a dream" ending because he didn't want to suggest that magic was actually real, which pissed Lovecraft off.

When you say made, Houdini was in pretty good shape and lovecraft was a total nerd so

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Biggie saying "it was all a dream" would piss him off for different reasons

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I mean the ending was super lame because of it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The collab Lovecraft did with Robert E Howard was funnier. They passed the story around exquisite corpse style, and Lovecraft's part ended with the protagonist on an alien planet realizing that he had become one of the aliens and going gibberingly mad

Then Robert's part started with him coming to his senses, realizing that he has superpowers now and being a weird alien is actually awesome, and going on swashbuckling space adventures

We look back on Lovecraft's more problematic work as a product of his time, but it's important to know that his contemporaries were sick of his poo poo also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

flavor.flv posted:

The collab Lovecraft did with Robert E Howard was funnier. They passed the story around exquisite corpse style, and Lovecraft's part ended with the protagonist on an alien planet realizing that he had become one of the aliens and going gibberingly mad

Then Robert's part started with him coming to his senses, realizing that he has superpowers now and being a weird alien is actually awesome, and going on swashbuckling space adventures

We look back on Lovecraft's more problematic work as a product of his time, but it's important to know that his contemporaries were sick of his poo poo also

Slightly off-topic perhaps, but I highly recommend playing Call of the Sea, in which the protagonist is consistently delighted to discover eldritch mysteries beyond the ken of man. I am turning into a fish person who can breathe underwater? This rules!