Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

ahh, the call center
of all the lovely jobs i've had that's the one i'm most glad to have put behind me

e: terrible snipe, or, perfect snipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Peanut Butler posted:

ahh, the call center
of all the lovely jobs i've had that's the one i'm most glad to have put behind me

e: terrible snipe, or, perfect snipe?

i once worked in a call centre selling accidental death insurance :gibs:

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

esperterra posted:

I'm going to give anyone who has not received a gang tag, but wants one, until, idk, Tuesday to reply to this post letting me know.

You can pick the tag you want, or let me flip a coin!!!

Also, it anybody reaaaally wants to change the one they did receive to the other, I can do that, too.

please and thank you

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Call center Jobs are deffo their own kind of hell but if that's the worst job you've had you are very very lucky lol

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I've had more strenuous and worse paying jobs- many of them miserable in different ways, but none as totalitarian and micromanaged as the call center

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Call centers can really make what should be an easy job a living nightmare, don't get me wrong

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I worked briefly at a call center and we had this 5 minute expected call time plus a positive response from survey, but it was netflix support, 99.99% of problems were password reset or router reset. They wanted us to chat up the person before helping them, talk about shows they liked on netflix or make reccomendations, idk, nobody wants to smalltalk with tech support while trying & failing to watch TV. I got in trouble for getting my calls done too fast even though I had really high survey response. I eventually found a compromise, help people at a reasonable normal fast pace, and then occasionally find someone so bad with tech it takes hours to get them through an email log-in, or half an hour to find their router, one time spent 2 hours on a call and i think the person forgot because they were talking with someone else for a long time in the house before they started talking about watching tv and she remembered I was on the line. Few of those now and then got my ECT back up. You'd get in trouble for taking bathroom breaks, like, go take a piss and someone is like "hey what happened saw you were off the phones for like 3.6 minutes" like yeah took a leak, blew my nose, washed my hands and they do weird talking down or coaching to you about it, so aggressive and immediate too. The big carrot they dangled in front of you was if you ranked well enough against your coworkers, you could get a chance for higher priority in choosing which shifts you wanted to work.

One one of those long-calls I basically started half-napping in my chair while this lady was in another story of her housephone and TV trying to remember where the router was and how to get to it to unplug it and plug it back in. One of the micro-managers came over very concerned but I was actively getting my ECT closer to target and was just being kind, helpful, and patient waiting for this person to reset router and 'confirm the fix' (there was some specific call centery language for the steps I used but don't have to recall now or ever again and won't)so the manager couldn't actually get mad at me and it was the only moment of joy or power I ever felt at that job, justifiably defending my choice to sit in a chair with my head slightly resting on my own shoulder.

im also remembering now we once as a "team" or pod won a contest prize and the reward was getting to watch a movie at work, but it was scheduled for another day so some people weren't even on that shift but could come in, but lmao, we were still on the phones and technically there were TVs around all over the place with some show on it anyway, no audio but you cant hear anyway over the calling anyway.

not the most soul-crushing job i ever had and hadn't thought about it in a long time until I saw that break memo lol. definitely the most obsessively micro-managing though, im sure these days no pee-breaks, just ask for the bucket and a manager will bring it over if your team won the contest

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

kri kri posted:

please and thank you

You missed Tuesday by a bit, mate

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Regy Rusty posted:

You missed Tuesday by a bit, mate

? today is Sunday

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
the last call center job I worked was for a cableco/ISP in 2015

I was hired to the "priority resolutions" team which meant that when people got pissed off enough to demand to speak to a manager, that went into our call queue

ten of us started training for a five-week course, the last week we took calls in the training room

the rules were that we had no scripts so we could solve problems however we wanted but we could never, ever hang up on a call no matter how lovely the person was being so that meant that in the training room I had some meth-head screaming slurs at me for 90 minutes because we shut off his service for non-payment and now he couldn't do his online school

once we hit the live production floor I think only one person made it more than three months

after one month I asked to be demoted to tier 1 tech support and they told me no so I found another job lol

the big thing was that I could no longer drink enough to tolerate working there like I did in the early 00s

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lol I also once got in trouble for being too good at a call center job

They were like "your taking to many calls you must be hanging up on people" and I was just like I don't know what to tell you is not a tough job :shrug:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I developed the CRM for my employer's call center. Even my lovely code's better than that Salesforce crap.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

esperterra posted:

I'm going to give anyone who has not received a gang tag, but wants one, until, idk, Tuesday to reply to this post letting me know.

You can pick the tag you want, or let me flip a coin!!!

Also, it anybody reaaaally wants to change the one they did receive to the other, I can do that, too.

I want the bottom one, thanks!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I thought that post was done ages ago and they meant a Tuesday long past, but if they didn't, I'd like this one too, please. Never hurts to ask, right?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Esperterras post was actually way back in may 2022, so if you want a gangtag now you may need to drop the $5.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I thought so. Is it cool to do that? I don't know the culture of gang tags, but I really like this one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh absolutely! Just grab the image link and get a new title with your existing av and then gangtag below it, wrapped in [ img ] tags of course.

We do put some limits on free tags because otherwise we'd have to do hundreds of them, but if you gently caress up buying one and want it tweaked an admin or mod can fix it for free no prob.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

yea you can grab a tag for any gang you feel an affinity for. go for it

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I pretty much exclusively use the forums via the Awful app so i never see gang tags, but I still feel safe knowing that it’s there by my side.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Esperterras post was actually way back in may 2022, so if you want a gangtag now you may need to drop the $5.

Yeah that was the joke I was making

Y'all are 8 months late

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
No, Tuesday is today.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I worked in a call centre for T-Mobile for about six months, it was awful. Once, as a reward for a “world class call” I won a prize, which was a T-Mobile branded CD holder for a car’s sun visor, so you can organize your CDs in your car. I did not have a car, and used an MP3 player instead of CDs. Management was perfectly aware of this.

I quit after they moved our team from the good building with a cafeteria and windows to a converted gym with hot swap cubicles halfway across the city.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I once had the absolute bottom tier worst call centre job - selling the shittiest of credit cards - $500 credit limit secured cards. The only people who didn't hang up on you immediately were either desperately juggling credit card debt between 10 different cards and looking for ways to do a balance transfer to keep the plates spinning, or elderly people who genuinely didn't know what was going on. 100% of what we said was scripted and we were not allowed to deviate for any reason (the little terminals we used that had our scripts definitely remind me of the ones in Severance).

Washroom breaks or time between calls were measured to the second and if you were 5 seconds late on the approved bathroom break time it was a guaranteed chat with the manager.

Quit the moment after a call when I felt relief that the person on the other end of the line was clearly senile and I could get my sign-up quota in because they didn't understand what they were doing.

enki42 fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 15, 2023

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Binged season one over the past couple weeks and really enjoyed it. I don't think I've been so engrossed by a show since season 3 of Twin Peaks, and I pray they stick to a tight, pre-planned story and don't blow it by drawing things out too much or changing horses midstream like so many other shows have.

Some thoughts so far:

When I first started watching, I thought the nature of the work at MDR must be that they are being used for wet computing. Maybe Lumon has some computational need for randomized number sets, and only mind-wiped humans can give them the pure randomization that they need. I haven't completely abandoned the idea but now, having watched through to the end of the season I'm not so sure. The idea that Severance itself is still in the R&D phase and the MDR workers are part of the process of fine-tuning it is intriguing. The permanent innies, the rewards, the wellness sessions, and group activities like the melon bar, music dance experience, etc. make me think that they are looking for the golden formula to get the maximum amount of work out of someone while providing the bare minimum of enrichment to not make them snap. I definitely think there is also some credence to the idea that by working with the numbers they are interacting with their own chips in some way, or with someone else's.

My theory about the code detector is that it both is and isn't "real." That is to say, I think there is a scanner, but it isn't as infallible as the workers are conditioned to believe it is. It would be hard bordering on impossible to make a scanner that flags all possible kinds of meaningful mark, letter or symbol, but since the company has complete control over the office supplies it would be comparatively easy to tag all pen ink/pencil graphite/etc with a specific chemical or compound, and then just build a scanner that detects that. As far as I remember, all the messages Helly tried to sneak out were in ink. It's not a flawless system (what if, for example, someone with dermatographia scratched a message into their skin and hid it under their clothes?) but maybe you just need to rely on a new worker testing it once or twice and getting sent to the break room a few times to cow them into believing the sensor is all-seeing.

The posters who think there's something weird going on with Ricken's friends are overthinking it. They're not all secretly severed, and they're not corporate Lumen plants. Ricken is just a parody of a certain type of fawning, pretentious yet un-self aware yuppie/academic, and like attracts like. The World War I conversation was exaggerated for comedic effect and to increase the sense of isolation around Mark, but I don't think it was even that weird. It's depressing, but plenty of people know less than you think they should. Yes, saying out loud that you didn't know that people didn't call it World War I during World War I is mindbogglingly dumb, but I think most of us have been in real-world conversations where we've overheard someone say something so ignorant that it makes your eyes water, but you just smile and nod because it takes less energy than bringing it up.

Then again, I don't necessarily think it means that none of the friends/townies/background characters could be secretly, unknowingly, or involuntarily severed. I'm thinking in particular of Rebecc warning Mark that he might see the "sores on the back of her head" She says it's from her birds, but maybe...?

And I do think that the thread is right that there must be something fishy (heh) going on with the water. It's too soon to jump to conclusions like "mind control drugs in the town water supply" and so on, but there's just too many allusions and symbols dropped in for there not to be something there. Lumon's water droplet logo, "Kier invites you to drink of his water", the water-only dinner party, Petey's reintegration sickness being triggered by the shower, etc. To say nothing of Dylan's obsession with water: his reward caricatures of him swimming, "I like to think my outie lives on a houseboat," and his theory that the number work is detecting eels so that humanity can populate the sea. Too soon to say, but there's definitely something going on with the water.

The goats really do feel like this show's polar bear, so I hope they find somewhere rewarding to go with that. Why goats? Are they lab animals, sacrifices, or something else? It seems like they might align with Malice in the symbology of the Kier cult, but what are the implications of that? But for all I know they might have just picked goats for the "kids" wordplay and because they can make crying baby sounds (spooky!)

I hate the "the number work MDR is doing corresponds to explosions in the outside world" concept from the bonus book. It's corny. It feels like something from a badly written creepypasta or the later seasons of Lost, and I hope it's a red herring or just a loose end.

Oh, and we all caught the cartoon Dylan's kid was watching, right? A storm cloud, resembling a brain, being sawn in half by electricity until water pours out :eyepop:

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

The theory that I most like is that Milchick and Outie Dylan are brothers or very close in some other way. Milchick being able to go to Dylan's home and try to use some authority with his child could be a big hint. Plus it would explain how Innie Dylan could straight up attack him but not be punished for it. They just have such a great dynamic in the office and I'd love to see if it extends outside.

There are so many directions and turns this show could take and all of them are interesting. I'm still sad we didn't get one more episode in season 1 but I trust they'll stick the landing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I am pretty sad that Graner died. talk about perfect casting goddamn.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

No Wave posted:

I am pretty sad that Graner died. talk about perfect casting goddamn.

Maybe he can come back alive not unlike the wife.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

crazysim posted:

Maybe he can come back alive not unlike the wife.

I think they might be able to revive a brain with some minor damage, I doubt they can revive a brain that's a smear on the sidewalk

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Fyadophobic posted:

I think they might be able to revive a brain with some minor damage, I doubt they can revive a brain that's a smear on the sidewalk

Yeah, I can't remember exactly if Mark describes the accident with his wife but it seems like she was a vegetable and they made a new personality out of whatever was left. can't do that with nothing left at all.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Started the show this weekend and just finished up, it's good. No loving clue where it can even go from here, I think at this point it's already so off the rails that even a big reset button wouldn't get things back on track.

MokBa posted:

The theory that I most like is that Milchick and Outie Dylan are brothers or very close in some other way. Milchick being able to go to Dylan's home and try to use some authority with his child could be a big hint. Plus it would explain how Innie Dylan could straight up attack him but not be punished for it. They just have such a great dynamic in the office and I'd love to see if it extends outside.

There's already an explanation for how Innie Dylan managed it: during the overtime session Milchick let slip that he activated overtime without Cobel's authorization, which Dylan subtly threatened to out him on after the attack. Not a knock against the theory though, it's an interesting idea.

precision posted:

Lol I also once got in trouble for being too good at a call center job

They were like "your taking to many calls you must be hanging up on people" and I was just like I don't know what to tell you is not a tough job :shrug:

One of my first jobs was at a call center that absolutely crushed all the metrics and consistently made the company's other call centers look bad. The whole center got shut down and sold off because it was in too competitive a job market and the company would rather have shittier work more cheaply.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just finished the finale of this. The drip-feed of anticipation that was the last episode drove me insane. I want to know what happens in this story. I don't want to sit there watching incidental roadblocks prevent the story from playing out, just so the interesting parts can happen in 5 minutes. It's manipulative.

The show has some good aesthetics, good humor, some amazing music, although they overuse the main theme. I'm about 90% sure that no satisfying explanation will be delivered for the initial mysteries of the show. The story feels like it has probably enough content in it for one good movie, but instead we get to watch it over hours and hours of cliffhangers, misdirection, pointless extensions and subplots.

Patricia Arquette's character also drives me insane. I think the overacting is intentional but that doesn't mean I want to see it. There's no Tywin Lannister effect here where you can actually imagine her perspective, even if she's one of the bad guys. She's just an insane cultist, slash covert agent, for reasons we don't know. I desperately want the hacker girl to give her the home run treatment like the security guy got.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Maybe you in particular should just wait to read the wikipedia synopsis in several years.

There are plenty of hints as to her devotion and history with Kier/Lumon and you can read about them on the expanded Severance wiki, again, in several years when it's all done being excruciating or whatever.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/readful_things/status/1620217871350796289?s=46&t=lcwtQYO7L192u268aOpLeg

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
turn the image sideways for an extra teaser: if you look carefully you can make out the profile-view image a character who will probably be pretty important this season

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Khanstant posted:

turn the image sideways for an extra teaser: if you look carefully you can make out the profile-view image a character who will probably be pretty important this season

I feel very stupid because I can't make sense of this at all.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

I thought you were joking about the obvious face that might be Mark but oooh it's a silhouette of Cobel's (probably) mother!

e:

MokBa posted:

I feel very stupid because I can't make sense of this at all.

If you turn it the opposite direction of the man's face, the silhouette of Mark at the desk becomes a breathing apparatus like we saw on Cobel's shrine, which also had hospital bracelets labeled "Charlotte Cobel".

ee: wait is this guy officially linked to the show in any way?

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 31, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

gently caress I'm not seeing it

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Just finished this for the first time, it was good.

But so was season 1 of Lost.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
https://twitter.com/rajat_suresh/status/1634356046255849472

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
any word on when this is coming back?