Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I nominate Joel McHale as the taskmaster.

Last time this was brought up the proposed lineup ended up being "Community season 7, now as a gameshow".

Let them finish up the movie first. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

smackfu posted:

What’s this now?

https://taskmastersupermaxplus.vhx.tv/

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The last episode of the Taskmaster Podcast with Paul Sinha makes me feel better about season 8. Hearing him say that his terrible performance in a lot of tasks is him just being poo poo a lateral thinking, not Parkinson, makes those more funny than they were. Was hard to laugh at someone who seemed to be deteriorating due to illness, but I can laugh all day at someone on Taskmaster being an idiot at some task because they're just not good at that sort of thing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Seasons 1-12, and the Swedish, Danishh, and Norwegian versions (all subtitled) are there. Along with the Horne Section Show

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Phigs posted:

The last episode of the Taskmaster Podcast with Paul Sinha makes me feel better about season 8. Hearing him say that his terrible performance in a lot of tasks is him just being poo poo a lateral thinking, not Parkinson, makes those more funny than they were. Was hard to laugh at someone who seemed to be deteriorating due to illness, but I can laugh all day at someone on Taskmaster being an idiot at some task because they're just not good at that sort of thing.

That's good to hear.

Primarily that he is OK with his performance, and is OK with his unfortunate illness.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Yeah he even mentions laughing at himself in the transfer rice task when watching it back for the podcast. It's a relief knowing he's not upset by his performance, well, besides the usual way TM contestants are about it.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
The big problem with that series was Ian Stirling. Watching some of his ultra competitive behavior back on the vt was extremely uncomfortable. He seemed to be having some sort of identity crisis about it in the studio.

Knowing about Paul Sinha's diagnosis the bit that felt worse watching it back was when they had to pretend to be one person in a team task and he ended up trying to slither over the concrete driveway because of his hosed up shoulder. Ian asks him "Isn't that really painful?" and Paul just grumpily shouts back "yes!".

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

OrthoTrot posted:

The big problem with that series was Ian Stirling. Watching some of his ultra competitive behavior back on the vt was extremely uncomfortable. He seemed to be having some sort of identity crisis about it in the studio.

Knowing about Paul Sinha's diagnosis the bit that felt worse watching it back was when they had to pretend to be one person in a team task and he ended up trying to slither over the concrete driveway because of his hosed up shoulder. Ian asks him "Isn't that really painful?" and Paul just grumpily shouts back "yes!".

I would not held someone's competitive nature against someone's at time unknown handicap, since it wasn't known back then. Its a competition, people complete and some take it more seriously than others.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

OrthoTrot posted:

Ian being incredibly embarrassed about his behavior nearly every episode was a highlight imo.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Iain may have been a bit over-competitive in his own tasks, but in the team tasks I think he was right to be frustrated at Lou.

I also understand the frustration in the puppet task that here he is the only one with the skills to make an actual puppet but nobody appreciated it.

OrthoTrot posted:

To be fair, it's also partially his fault for agreeing to be the person's arms. Sometimes Alex messes up with making the tasks harmful, but it's also up to the task taker to make choices to not hurt themselves. Nobody told Rhod Gilbert to tape his eyeballs.

There's a lot of tasks that end up being down to just physical fitness, and there's not much way around it. Some people will surprise you with how fit they are, but sometimes there's people who are just jocks, whether they see themselves as that or not. There's also been a number of tasks with angry vegans that I don't think there's very much way around. Eggs are funny.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
iirc the other lady that wasnt Lou did mention that the tasks can be heightist / aka get eff short people.

I think the series after this one did do better with height in mind.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

That sand bucket task where the taller contestants could easily grab the task without unleashing the sand and she couldn't did seem pretty unfair to her.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Yeah lol Sian looked like she was barely five foot tall

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

I think the series after this one did do better with height in mind.

I disagree, but in the opposite direction. Some tasks in S9 were biased against tall people; there was even that one caravan task where Rose Mattifeo couldn't even fit inside.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
oh hey its hangover day.

Also I think UK once again got a task from NZ with "Taskmaster Says" with their New Years special?

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

PhazonLink posted:

Also I think UK once again got a task from NZ with "Taskmaster Says" with their New Years special?

Yeah, the bones of the live task came from NZ series 3, but the original didn't have the "Greg Says" aspect, just a series of commands moving the objects about. Live tasks are the biggest gamble in the production; prizes can be screened, and tasks in the house that don't work can be cut or reworked in future series. But you only get one shot at the live task, and you've got to accept the result you get. So I'd expect that proven live tasks will be the most common thing to borrow from other series.

Thought the carp pellets task was a well-engineered task for a new year's treat - it's going to be funny to watch anyone march around with unbent legs, even if they're not comedians by trade. Watching Carol in the lab looking like Karmer in tight jeans was a treat, and Self Esteem crawling under the tripwire then pulling it to drop the pellets into her bowl was such a good capper.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Was whelmed. It started with a good prize task that showed the concept at its best but the first task proper was too long and too prescriptive.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Was I the only one that expected the numbers on the pillows to be extremely relevant in the first task?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mo Farah is the purest soul alive and we need to protect him at all costs.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The special was a pretty good treat. Mo Farah seemed extremely joyous throughout.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

I haven't seen the whole of it since I'm saving it to watch with family but the prize task was really good - I think the prize tasks for the treats have all been good, really.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Leraika posted:

I haven't seen the whole of it since I'm saving it to watch with family but the prize task was really good - I think the prize tasks for the treats have all been good, really.
My theory: non-comedians, especially with only one episode, are really motivated to come up with something good. In the regular series, and ten times more objects to think of, tend to say "I'm funny enough to wing it with anything" and bring in half-arsed efforts.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Pablo Bluth posted:

My theory: non-comedians, especially with only one episode, are really motivated to come up with something good. In the regular series, and ten times more objects to think of, tend to say "I'm funny enough to wing it with anything" and bring in half-arsed efforts.

that makes a lot of sense - and it's probably easier for Greg to riff on the poo poo ones for the same reason too (looking at you, John Hannah).

Anyway, watched the whole thing. I'd happily watch Mo Farah do anything task-related, I think. He was clearly having a blast and he's the kind of person who it's really fun to watch having fun.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

That was a fun watch.

I do think on another series and in another mood Greg could have disqualified all of them on the no bending waist/knees task.

Also I liked the twist of giving a task to the contestants that the taskmaster's assistant wasn't aware of in that Yogscast one. The possibilities for tormenting or confusing Alex are endless there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phigs posted:

I do think on another series and in another mood Greg could have disqualified all of them on the no bending waist/knees task.

That's one where you need some leeway just because it's impossible not to on instinct occasionally, as long as they don't exploit it too much.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really fun special. Would have loved to see any of this lot in a main series (well, maybe not the radio guy)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Carol leaning was excellent. That was a great task.

Other tasks were just ok. Live task was good with all of them cursing and getting angry.

Rebecca was so drat into it. She would have been really really fun on a whole season.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Amelia feels like she would have had some quality Ed Gamble or James Acasteresque meltdowns on a full series, extreme Lisa Simpson energy in my opinion (which they also had, not singling her out).

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Aww, Sir Mo was having so much fun. :3:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Vorders was orders of magnitude less annoying than I thought she’d be.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like the dot task was trying too hard to just make them do silly things instead of letting it come out organically.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Self Esteem has played a whole set with a background saying 'FULL SEASON OF TASKMASTER WHEN?' Good question tbh.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
https://i.imgur.com/25LuRdn.mp4

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Rebecca was so drat into it. She would have been really really fun on a whole season.

Hadn't heard of her before, but fallen down a rabbit hole of how great she is.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Fatty posted:

Hadn't heard of her before, but fallen down a rabbit hole of how great she is.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like this one a lot

https://youtu.be/ZTCizVS7N4k

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Trailer for TM oz. Spoiler for one task.
https://tvblackbox.com.au/page/2023...?feed_id=118122

Starts airing 2nd Feb

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that looks pretty good

the fact that it is just a completely TMNZ production, by the same crew at the same locations, gives me a lot of optimism

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It's in the same house? What's the point of that? That's basically TM: NZ: AU edition.

I assume it's temporary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Although they do appear to be using a different room in the TM house.