Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And I'm suddenly reminded of something funny: Sunny Villa in the Spyro Reignited Trilogy is the first time I think I've ever seen a fantasy Rome-equivalent where the Romans actually have Italian accents.

God punished the Romans for their sins by turning them into Italians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Finiahed the main quest of Control and the Ashtray Maze was indeed awesome. So good I wish it was longer.

Not really a little thing but I love how the game really makes you feel increasingly powerful. It's really rewarding to gradually just turn into a flying avatar of destruction to the point where combat isn't much of a challenge anymore now that I've maxed out the throw and energy skill tree.

Also the fake out credits and the part after you reached your brother was excellent.

I'm just going to spend a bit doing all the side missions that take me through areas I've already been so that I can collect all the correspondence goodies and poo poo metroidvania style before getting into the DLC.

I'm loving this game. Right up my alley in basically all ways. Don't you just love it when a new game is so good it makes to the top of the list?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Speaking of accents, I really enjoyed how everyone in Fenyx was actually Greek, for the most part

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
They're mostly repeats from AC Odyssey, so they've had practice.

I like the central conceit in that game that you're listening to someone tell a story about your adventures. It's Adam Jensen, and I'd listen to him read stereo instructions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

My favorite thing about the Fenyx Rising/Odyssey voice cast crossover is that Kassandra is now the goddess of wisdom. Okay game, if you say so!

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Philippe posted:

It's Adam Jensen, and I'd listen to him read stereo instructions.

Elias "Toufexis" is right :wiggle:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I brought this up in another thread and it reminded me that it completely fits in this thread: One of the mechanics in The Great Ace Attorney games is that Herlock Sholmes (who is outright stated by the game's social media to be a himbo) looks at the scene and 'deduces' what happened based on available evidence... and is completely wrong, forcing your character to step in and point him to the actual evidence to get him on the right track.

Some of Sholmes' original conclusions are just him describing the actual solutions of some of the most famously bullshit Sherlock Holmes stories.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
That reminds me of the Prosecutor's Path games with Miles Edgeworth, specifically the second one where multiple times he has to correct an upstart incompetent boob prosecutor's insanely stupid logic. It has a great payoff where it admits that he's just a kid though as after an entire game of tearing him down, he ends up totally broken after his own father kidnaps him to throw a trial and tells him to his face that he's only been kept around because he's no threat to the villain, so the final logic chess sequence is not breaking him down like normal, but building him up. That was badass.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BioEnchanted posted:

That reminds me of the Prosecutor's Path games with Miles Edgeworth, specifically the second one where multiple times he has to correct an upstart incompetent boob prosecutor's insanely stupid logic. It has a great payoff where it admits that he's just a kid though as after an entire game of tearing him down, he ends up totally broken after his own father kidnaps him to throw a trial and tells him to his face that he's only been kept around because he's no threat to the villain, so the final logic chess sequence is not breaking him down like normal, but building him up. That was badass.

It was really sweet, actually. And somehow still fit with Miles' characterization.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Emily in Stardew Valley continues to be extremely odd and extremely gay, this time doing a private dance routine for the PC with psychedelic music and visual effects.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I mean, she does it for either gender of player character, so while it's only gay in this context, it is always trippy as hell.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hirayuki posted:

I mean, she does it for either gender of player character, so while it's only gay in this context, it is always trippy as hell.

Oh. :( While I appreciate that everyone is available for both genders in this game, I was hoping that at least one of them wouldn't be heteronormative by default.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Oh. :( While I appreciate that everyone is available for both genders in this game, I was hoping that at least one of them wouldn't be heteronormative by default.
Who's to say any of them are?

e: I will say there's one, maybe two same-gender relationships in the game where your partner eventually says they never thought they'd feel this way about a person of their own gender, which implies heteronormativity for that relationship. But if the other pairings play out the same for either gender, how do we know which gender is considered "standard"? The game's pretty cool that way.

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Jan 9, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hirayuki posted:

Who's to say any of them are?

e: I will say there's one, maybe two same-gender relationships in the game where your partner eventually says they never thought they'd feel this way about a person of their own gender, which implies heteronormativity for that relationship. But if the other pairings play out the same for either gender, how do we know which gender is considered "standard"? The game's pretty cool that way.

Everyone seems to get paired off in straight couples by default - the flower dance is by default all straight pairings, and I think every single bachelor/ette pair has dialogue, from themselves or from NPCs, talking about having a bit of a crush on the other, or about how they'd make a cute couple.

I mean, I get it. It's a small town and small towns are usually pretty lovely places. Still, could have been better handled I think.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wasn't Stardew Valley the first Harvest Moon-style game that openly allowed you to date any character regardless of gender? I mean, I get being annoyed that there wasn't a "default" same-sex couple, but I think that having a gay character suddenly turn straight bi because a woman expressed interest in them is... potentially more problematic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hirayuki posted:

Actually I move that this event is extremely gay even if it's a straight couple.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Fable let my character, a man, marry another man, and go on to refer to him as my wife throughout the entire game. :sigh:

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Wildermyth has a lot of fun little things, but one of the first things it lets you do is name your adventuring company anything you want.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I didn’t think the perfect “name your own army/band of schmucks” name existed but here we are.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I wish I could do that in Wartales because that's how my playthrough of that feels right now.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Suleman posted:

Wildermyth has a lot of fun little things, but one of the first things it lets you do is name your adventuring company anything you want.

Someone from plownail WOULD want to join the Polycule. Let's see your resume, buddy, we don't let just anyone in.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Suleman posted:

I hope Hogspring wasn't a disappointment

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m playing God of War 2018, and I got to a part where you and the boy come across a horn that’s part of some incredibly big mechanism you just revealed, and Kratos refuses to let Atreus blow it. I had a sensible chuckle when Atreus protests that you’ve been thoughtlessly flipped every switch and interacted with every doohickey you’ve encountered this far, so why not this?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I hope Hogspring wasn't a disappointment

All the hogs wanted to eviscerate me, and not join my polycule. :(

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

So I've been playing Far Cry 5, and this evening I finished a quest called The Widowmaker.

Far Cry 5 is a game where you're helping liberate Hope County, Montana from a diabolical religious cult that's trying to take it over. Y'know, normal stuff. This quest begins when a woman at a bar tells you that her dad's prized truck has been stolen by the cult, and tasks you with retrieving it from their garage.

No biggie. You head down the road to where this group of cultists is hanging out, take 'em out, and open the garage to get the truck. What she didn't tell you about her daddy's truck is that THIS is the Widowmaker:

(Not pictured: the guns mounted to each side of the engine.)

gently caress. Yes.

So you hop into the Widowmaker to bring it home when she gives you a call. Oh no! The cultists have set up roadblocks along the road back to town to try and stop you! :ohdear:

...wait why the gently caress do I care about roadblocks I'm in the GODDAMN WIDOWMAKER. :black101:

So you start up the truck and start heading down the road home but when you start up the Widowmaker fuckin' Barracuda by Heart starts playing on the radio so you're tearin' down the highway at maximum speed while Ann Wilson is blasting over your speakers singing her fuckin' heart out and you just fuckin' burst through all the goddamn cultists that have dared to try and block you from gettin' Mary May's daddy's truck back home to her and GODDAMN the mission might have been an easy one but it was fun as hell and just what I needed after doing those lovely flying missions earlier.

10/10 the Widowmaker is now my vehicle of course to get from point A to point B.

Vandar has a new favorite as of 09:22 on Jan 10, 2023

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Not exactly a little thing in Yakuza: Like a Dragon but Kasuga is basically a human golden retriever with a penchant for violence and it is amazing. He is so sweet and so dumb and so good at kicking rear end.

Also I just got Nancy the crawfish summon holy poo poo :allears:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The missions in far cry 5 were fun, but I wanted a "shut up" button whenever the main villains were talking. It doesn't even have to do anything, it could be a "shaun" button, or "make fart noises" button. Anything other than listen to the boring idiots talk.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Elfface posted:

The missions in far cry 5 were fun, but I wanted a "shut up" button whenever the main villains were talking. It doesn't even have to do anything, it could be a "shaun" button, or "make fart noises" button. Anything other than listen to the boring idiots talk.

Try Asura's Wrath. Lots of the boss intro monologues have a "shut up" button that makes you instantly punch the boss in the face and then the fight is on

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

haveblue posted:

Try Asura's Wrath. Lots of the boss intro monologues have a "shut up" button that makes you instantly punch the boss in the face and then the fight is on

More workplaces need this

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm playing Escape Academy with my gf at the moment and the thing I like about it is that the game gives us plenty of opportunities to comment about how we've definitely been recruited into some kind of militant cult of some kind.

"Oh ha ha you just need to escape this room we're having fun anyway now we're infiltrating a boat run by 'anti-escape scientists' and breaking our members out and this person is a demolitions expert and this person literally self-destructed to complete a mission nope just silly escaping"

I am convinced the final mission will be 'escaping' into a nuclear silo or something and 'solving puzzles' to launch missiles at strategic 'puzzle' targets.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I played HZD over the winter and it was fine. A nice thing I liked is that every tribe has pretty distinct clothing so you can tell immediately where they're from. The really nice thing is that every tribe is just using altered or adapted machine parts as their jewellery or fastenings etc. Except for the one tribe where smithing is their whole deal. Their clothing looks totally unique and is the only stuff with steel parts/armour/jewellery that are unique rather than reused machine parts. It's never specifically mentioned and took me a while to notice. Neat little world building.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Each of the tribes has some neat little touches like that. Nora facepaint usually indicates a familial relationship. Carja designs are very birdlike because they live on a mesa and glinthawks are important machines in their own mythology. And the Banuk are the only tribe that really use a lot of yellow dyes because they have access to sulfur deposits in Yellowstone.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I like how the dwarf clan used smithing metaphors and cuss words.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Using cuss words tracks, in my experience wrenching is 20% actually touching components and 80% swearing at the loving bolt until it decides it would rather turn than be loving blowtorched

E: it's possible I misunderstood and you meant "smithing metaphors and smithing cuss words" and not "smithing metaphors, and also they cuss, unlike the other peoples". Tbh I like my way better

Phy has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Jan 11, 2023

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Philippe posted:

I like how the dwarf clan used smithing metaphors and cuss words.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ya the opposite end of that neat world building was unfortunately every single person having regional terminology for any ordinary phrase.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Each of the tribes has some neat little touches like that. Nora facepaint usually indicates a familial relationship. Carja designs are very birdlike because they live on a mesa and glinthawks are important machines in their own mythology. And the Banuk are the only tribe that really use a lot of yellow dyes because they have access to sulfur deposits in Yellowstone.

That's cool, I didn't pick up on that but the bird stuff sounds correct based on my memory. I had wondered up until they explicitly state where the Frozen wilds is set if Americans could tell where in America the game is.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Suleman posted:

Continuing on that note:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

EmmyOk posted:

That's cool, I didn't pick up on that but the bird stuff sounds correct based on my memory. I had wondered up until they explicitly state where the Frozen wilds is set if Americans could tell where in America the game is.

Even if you’re unfamiliar with the geography of the American West, you can find some datapoints fairly early on that place the Sacred Lands in Eastern Colorado. The orientation is rather compressed and skewed, though. The actual position of Yellowstone would be far north and to the west of where it is located on the game map, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

Even if you’re unfamiliar with the geography of the American West, you can find some datapoints fairly early on that place the Sacred Lands in Eastern Colorado. The orientation is rather compressed and skewed, though. The actual position of Yellowstone would be far north and to the west of where it is located on the game map, for instance.

That's neat, I don't think I found those or forgot about them lol. Another small thing I liked was that all collectibles in the game could be gotten any time, nothing was missable when going for the plat. I think the only thing I had to look up was where all the training dummies were. I was also surprised how engaging I found the story of the apocalypse as you learn about it through audio logs and stuff. I had kind of checked out of the story as soon as Lisbet shows up and the mystery of Aloy's mother is mostly guessed/understood by the player but Aloy still has an entire game left to figure it out. But I ended up really liking the story of how things ended and had a great gamer moment when I realised oh this corporate gently caress up is actually the beginning of the end and they have no idea. Was written really effectively and it just felt so hopeless and horrifying imagining being one of those people.

I beat Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for the first time tonight and it has two little things I really liked. Healing in game is done by drinking water. A lot of this is from standard drinking fountains you find around the levels. However the prince can drink from any water source you find to heal, so lots of healing spots are random pools, water features, or other running water. It felt really cool how it was incorporated into the game world instead of just the designated healing fountains all the time. The other detail is that the prince's clothes get all ripped up throughout the story so he looks a bit different all throughout the game.