Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/MikeGapes/status/1612077877557600257

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct 4, 2005

Its ok to lie as long as its to people I don't like.

This man was an MP?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

kingturnip posted:

The only thing that could stop Labour winning the next GE is someone coming up with a brilliant series of policies that makes a meaningful positive difference to people's lives

Well, yes, 2017 is the canonical example there.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

1965917 posted:

Its ok to lie as long as its to people I don't like.

This man was an MP?
Its very funny to remember the saga of CUKTIG, where brain genius Chuka Umunna dragged 6 other labour mps into obscurity then instantly hosed them over in order to lose as a lib dem candidate in 2019.

He so obviously wanted people to call the party 'CH(ange)UK' but everyone just called them CUK instead. Really good stuff.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 8, 2023

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The funny tinge MP briefly became very well known.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Mr Phillby posted:

Its very funny to remember the saga of CUKTIG, where brain genius Chuka Umunna dragged 6 other labour mps into obscurity then instantly hosed them over in order to lose as a lib dem candidate in 2019.

He so obviously wanted people to call the party 'CH(ange)UK' but everyone just called them CUK instead. Really good stuff.

It was so funny that he styled the whole thing after Emmanuel Macron, right down to making the name of the party have his initials and then immediately got out maneuvered by a no name Conservative MP and Got CUK'd out of leading his own party.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

The Independent Group for Real Change UK (The Independent Group)

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
sadly, I bet chukka fell on his feet and is head of amazon ethics or something now earning millions

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Hmm. Predictable.

I believe some people were saying you have to hand it to Jolyon Maoam for standing up for Trans Rights. Well:

https://twitter.com/Right2Equality/status/1596932207507308545?s=20

https://twitter.com/TransActivismUK/status/1611831428282716160?s=20

Wes D.
Jul 17, 2006

WhatEvil posted:

Hmm. Predictable.

I believe some people were saying you have to hand it to Jolyon Maoam for standing up for Trans Rights. Well:

https://twitter.com/Right2Equality/status/1596932207507308545?s=20

https://twitter.com/TransActivismUK/status/1611831428282716160?s=20

What is the Nordic model? Never heard of this?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Has anyone ever had their smart meter give their supplier an incorrect automatic reading?

I've just been checking over my account (and have had to increase my direct debits to 350 a month, jeeeez) and it says it took smart meter reads on 1st Jan but the gas one they have recorded is not remotely in line with the last reading from last year or my current manual reading (it says ~5100 rather than ~11000)

I am now slightly bricking it that I'll get some insane bill in a month or two and won't be able to contest it because Smart Meters Are Never Wrong.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Wes D. posted:

The Nordic Model pushes the criminality of sex work onto clients rather than sex workers so it does nothing to provide protections for them. The intention is to reduce demand but it doesn't really change anything while studies have shown using the Nordic Model increases the risk of violence, sex trafficking and STDs.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Wes D. posted:

Basically, persecute the customers of sex workers criminally, but not the sex workers themselves. The idea is that this would somehow reduce demand for sex work and make it easier for sex workers to get 'real jobs'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's weird, because that Right to Equality group seems more about decriminalizing abortion services, which is a good thing, and yet they veer hard away from the preferred (and demonstrated as good) decrim model.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sex worker rights is a particular blindspot that even a bunch of otherwise correct people veer completely off on.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
top news story is that former royal harry still feels ostracised from his weird family

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone seen that ad pushing meat eating where a grandad type figure is telling the little girl how wonderful meat is and she skips around talking about how good for you meat is? I'm wondering if she will be pissed off when she's older at having made that ad presumably with parental permission. My impression of young kids is many of them of that sort of age (she looks about 6 or 7 to me) want to be vegetarians once they start thinking about where meat comes from.

(Disclaimer: I'm not a vegetarian or vegan).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
all 7 years olds have always wanted to be vegetarians

its why were now all vegetarians

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone seen that ad pushing meat eating where a grandad type figure is telling the little girl how wonderful meat is and she skips around talking about how good for you meat is?
Just meat in general? Not like "lamb, it's what's for dinner?" or "I feel like chicken tonight?", just 'meat'?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

complaining about starmer abandoning pledges, lying to and purging his opponents is dumb, thats what politics is.

its basically just yelling about how owned you are

thanks for reminding me of CUKTIG though, that was a great saga :)

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

There's politics as usual and then there is blatant bald faced lying.

The lib dems discovered that in 2015.

Unhappily it seems like Starmer gets at least one election run without.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

complaining about starmer abandoning pledges, lying to and purging his opponents is dumb, thats what politics is.

yep tories loved boris because they knew he was lying, but he would be lying in their favour

the opposite of kier who was lying to his supporters , or former supporters anyway (they’ll still vote labour )

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Maugrim posted:

Has anyone ever had their smart meter give their supplier an incorrect automatic reading?

I've just been checking over my account (and have had to increase my direct debits to 350 a month, jeeeez) and it says it took smart meter reads on 1st Jan but the gas one they have recorded is not remotely in line with the last reading from last year or my current manual reading (it says ~5100 rather than ~11000)

I am now slightly bricking it that I'll get some insane bill in a month or two and won't be able to contest it because Smart Meters Are Never Wrong.

write it all down take photos and contact them asap?

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

NotJustANumber99 posted:

sadly, I bet chukka fell on his feet and is head of amazon ethics or something now earning millions
Investment banker at JPMorgan Chase

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

Just meat in general? Not like "lamb, it's what's for dinner?" or "I feel like chicken tonight?", just 'meat'?

Just meat!

This is the short one without grandad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuQu4Jj8S8Q

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 9, 2023

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

If people vote for Starmer because of the pledges and promises he's making and then he doesn't do any of that stuff if Labour win, it will be an easy Tory win at the following election.

Boris became leader because the Tory base are inbred gammons and he won a General Election by lying about Brexit. The Tories then got rid of him because he was obviously an electoral liability, in no small part because of his constant lying. Loser Clegg went from 'hero of the youths' to 'bagman for Zuckerberg' because the people he initially won over ditched him for lying.

You actually can't be a pathological liar in UK politics these days and keep winning elections at a national level.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kingturnip posted:

You actually can't be a pathological liar in UK politics these days and keep winning elections at a national level.

Hm. Unless you're a tory then you can lie yourself blue in the face and the gammonati will forgive you and say "everyone makes mistakes". Noone expects any better of tories, but Labour and others are expected to be squeaky clean.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone seen that ad pushing meat eating where a grandad type figure is telling the little girl how wonderful meat is and she skips around talking about how good for you meat is? I'm wondering if she will be pissed off when she's older at having made that ad presumably with parental permission. My impression of young kids is many of them of that sort of age (she looks about 6 or 7 to me) want to be vegetarians once they start thinking about where meat comes from.

I think its more the minority from my experience.
From all my friends and family there was only two of us who even thought of going vegetarian. And that was a friend whose family runs a sheep farm, and went to an abattoir once and saw what happened.
And who gave it up shortly afterwards.
Been veggie myself since 94/95.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One meats please!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

oh well if it's what politics is then it's fine then

half of this thread is yelling into the void about how much our ruling classes suck poo poo, it's not like it's going to change significantly at any point in the next five years or so

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just meat!

Being vegan or vegetarian isn't weird any more and faux meats are starting to get good enough that for some meals you can just swap them in and not really notice. If the number you see on the supermarket shelves compared to just a few years ago is any indication, they're selling pretty well too. If I were in the meat business I'd be getting a little worried, especially since meat is only getting more expensive and the alternatives are getting relatively cheaper. If people start skipping meat one dinner a week that's a nasty hole in the sales for Mr. Best of British Beef.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/2015jmr/status/1611749426078355456

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
"if"

e: predictably beaten by 9,250 people in the replies but here we are

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Next Game of Thrones spinoff looking good

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Angepain posted:

"if"

e: predictably beaten by 9,250 people in the replies but here we are

All it did for Rees-Mogg was take his glasses off

Sort of

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just meat!

🎵 Did somebody say Just Meat? 🎵

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Meat Talk? Oh yeah, listen up Meat Bags.

Like a bit of bacon but are A Poor, like me price-sensitive, like me: get cooking bacon rather than rashers - it's literally the same stuff but a third of the price (e.g. Tesco). Get your kitchen shears handy and you're there or thereabouts. You'd be surprised how many people don't know.

Remember to like and subscribe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Similarly fish pie mix is generally cheaper than fish fillets because it's just offcuts of stuff they couldn't make into nice presentable fillets, still the same stuff. Fry it off in a pan with a good bit of butter and then add some steamed veg, takes on a lovely flavour of the smoked fish.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My impression of young kids is many of them of that sort of age (she looks about 6 or 7 to me) want to be vegetarians once they start thinking about where meat comes from.

my eldest came home from school around age 6 or 7 and said they were now a vegetarian- that was fine, my missus is 99.8% vegetarian (pepperoni exists) so we had plenty of options

they lasted 24 hours or so before the concept of fried chicken called to them in a deep way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I saw my grandfather slaugther chickens and cut their heads off as a kid, and we also raised a pig and killed it and ate it, same with a pair of sheep. I think I would've been around 4-7 for those events. The pig was the saddest part, we never did that again even though we eat pork still, chickens or sheep didn't bother me though. Pigs are smart tho, you can tell.