Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Necrothatcher posted:

Holy poo poo this case:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/03/eleanor-williams-lied-grooming-gang-guilty-perverting-justice

The highlight has to be beating herself in the face with a claw hammer.

I'm starting to believe that there is a significant number of people in any social group who are only restrained from committing acts of violence by the consequences of harming a member of the group. When someone or some subgroup is accused of something that gets them ostracized from the larger group, they become sanctioned targets of that suppressed violence. Allegations of sexual assault, and especially those against children, bring out all sorts of antisocial behavior directed at the accused and in some ways, as in this story, the accusation is enough to mark someone for life even when exonerated of the crime.

There's a really good Danish movie about this called The Hunt in which a kindergarten teacher is falsely accused of molesting children at his facility and the way things begin and then snowball is really chilling. It isn't explicitly a horror film, but it's pretty terrifying to realize how quickly lifelong friends can become enemies as the result of just a few words.

Also, fuuuuuuck that lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Feels like small potatoes, but this happened next door to my buddy’s house (which I own) today.

Mod edit: this is about child sexual abuse material
https://www.dailyitem.com/news/milt...71101f0c1f.html

This morning when he left for work he texted me that there were state troopers and a box van at the house, and people with black gloves were going in and out. When he asked the cops if everyone was OK they gave him the standard boilerplate “everything is fine” response. When he got home cops were gone and all the lights were off. The lady neighbor didn’t respond all day to his text checking in on them.

These people who have been living next door to him have been nice, if a bit wacky the whole time they’ve been there. From the lady frolicking in a blow-up kiddie pool with 2” of stagnant leaf-filled water in the yard, to calling the fire dept. every time he started the grill because they were afraid of a fire, there have been some strange encounters.

But we definitely didn’t expect this…

Somebody has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Jan 6, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Feels like small potatoes, but this happened next door to my buddy’s house (which I own) today.

https://www.dailyitem.com/news/milt...71101f0c1f.html

This morning when he left for work he texted me that there were state troopers and a box van at the house, and people with black gloves were going in and out. When he asked the cops if everyone was OK they gave him the standard boilerplate “everything is fine” response. When he got home cops were gone and all the lights were off. The lady neighbor didn’t respond all day to his text checking in on them.

These people who have been living next door to him have been nice, if a bit wacky the whole time they’ve been there. From the lady frolicking in a blow-up kiddie pool with 2” of stagnant leaf-filled water in the yard, to calling the fire dept. every time he started the grill because they were afraid of a fire, there have been some strange encounters.

SA shortens the link and I was expecting some sort of chemical or even serial killer thing, you may wanna label this for CSAM before anyone else blindly clicks. The article is short but kinda rough. I know this is the thread for this sort of thing but... give a warning as to wtf please.

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Jan 6, 2023

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

https://www.dailyitem.com/news/milt...71101f0c1f.htmls

Not accessible in the EU. But I can gather from the text in the link that I'm prooobably not in the mindset for reading that right now anyways. Jesus.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

There is nothing really graphic in the link. Just a man was arrested for having objectionable images on his computer. No descriptions or anything. Just the details of the search and arrest.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Christ, that is way too close to home, I live up near Williamsport myself.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BrianRx posted:

Also, fuuuuuuck that lady.

My dude, loving that lady is the last thing a sane man would do.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Varkk posted:

There is nothing really graphic in the link. Just a man was arrested for having objectionable images on his computer. No descriptions or anything. Just the details of the search and arrest.

This is a lie, at least somewhat descriptive terms to the material are given beyond what is in this thread so far.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
For the sake of stemming further argument, here is the text of the article, with any triggering terms censored and descriptors spoilered:

MILTON — A Milton man faces 1,000 felony counts of [CP] and is jailed on $250,000 cash after state police said they discovered thousands of images during a search of a borough home on Thursday.

Robert Kohl, 48, of Arch Street, was arrested and appeared before Milton District Judge Mike Diehl on the charges.

Diehl sent Kohl to Northumberland County Jail in lieu of $250,000 cash.

State police alleged they received a tip about [CP] and began an investigation. Troopers said they were granted a search warrant by Diehl for the Arch Street home and members of the Pennsylvania Internet Crimes Against Children Task force discovered a large amount of digital items in an office that belonged to Kohl, according to troopers.

Troopers said thousands of images and videos of [child s***** ab***] materials were present, according to police.

The images depicted infants and toddlers undressed, troopers said.

There were also images that were printed, troopers said.

The printed images were with a file and pay stubs that belonged to Kohl, troopers said.

Kohl will appear before Diehl for a preliminary hearing at a later date.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
during the pandemic our office was remote-optional. i was the one fool who wanted to go into the office, because in the spring of 2020 commuting was a breeze and having a whole office floor to yourself was serene. sometimes another guy would come in, and it would just be the two of us sitting in silence for 8 hours

well, this other guy had been having performance and absenteeism problems, and one day he was abruptly fired. no explanation was given, our manager just assured us he wouldn't be coming back, ever. some of his personal items remained at his desk, including USB drives and whatnot

a couple months later the lease on our office is up and we have to clean house. i was tasked with taking down our on-premise servers, inventorying and disposing of old computers, and whatnot. since we were completely emptying the office, management told everyone that anything not specifically whitelisted as being kept around for the office move was up for grabs. chairs, pictures, old computers, whatever, just come take it or we'll throw it away. it was like a small family reunion, seeing my coworkers in person again

a friend of mine came by and asked me, quietly, if i had looked into the fired engineer. no, i didn't care about that guy. i was encouraged to look up the details - turns out he got a knock on his door before dawn from the state police, and they took him and his computers in for CSAM! as this sank in, the both of us looked over to his desk, which still had like USB drives and personal data storage sitting around

the laptop went straight into electronics recycling. all the other stuff got thrown in the dumpster. there was a short debate - should we keep any of this poo poo as evidence? gently caress no, the state police knew where this guy lived, they would know where he worked. if they wanted any of this poo poo they would have come to get it, or let us know they wanted it. they probably had enough evidence on him already just from his own personal devices

anyway, the punchline is that both me and the other guy who helped me clean out the dude's desk put on gloves before we did so, like we both independently came up with this thought. the contagion heuristic is real

rocketpig
Nov 24, 2019

no tears please, it's a waste of good suffering
I'm trying to track down 2 long form articles that I think might have been in the previous thread (I think they were posted around the same time as The Germans).

One was about someone stuck on a beach with the tide coming in. It was written in the same sort of way as articles about people getting stuck in caves.

The second was about a fire department trying to tackle the worst fire they'd come across in a building that was poorly designed so everything went wrong.

Hoping someone here might remember them although it was a long time ago.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

rocketpig posted:

I'm trying to track down 2 long form articles that I think might have been in the previous thread (I think they were posted around the same time as The Germans).

One was about someone stuck on a beach with the tide coming in. It was written in the same sort of way as articles about people getting stuck in caves.

The second was about a fire department trying to tackle the worst fire they'd come across in a building that was poorly designed so everything went wrong.

I think? the fire one is posted somewhere in this thread. I don't remember the other:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813353

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

rocketpig posted:

Was this the fire one?

The Perfect Fire

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

rocketpig posted:

Was it a woman stuck?

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
…and was this the beach story? A woman swerved off a cliff, crashed onto the shore below, then spent 7 days trying to survive while trapped in alongside her crumpled SUV.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

This has been loving with my brain for days, and I don't think I got it here. Lethal injection survival accounts. It's not an easy read on a lot of levels:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/28/lethal-injection-surviving-execution-attempt-alabama

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Desert Bus posted:

This has been loving with my brain for days, and I don't think I got it here. Lethal injection survival accounts. It's not an easy read on a lot of levels:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/dec/28/lethal-injection-surviving-execution-attempt-alabama

Edit: I don't normally do trigger warnings but: torture, medical torture, attempted murder, uhhh... i dunno this is A LOT I can't even list all the possible triggers here

Edit 2: Needles, IV's

Desert Bus has a new favorite as of 02:24 on Jan 7, 2023

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Jesus christ… A compelling read but :cry:

Desert Bus posted:

I get a little wobbly when people talk about hosed-up injections because it triggers a sense memory of stubborn healthcare professionals diiiiiiigging around to find a vein when I’ve been stuck in the hospital a few times.

If you’re similarly needle-phobic at all and don’t want to be in hell for however long it would take you to read the article, the gist is that the anonymous people assigned to execute prisoners are often VERY BAD at administering injections and end up literally torturing people to achieve some form of whatever Justice means in the US.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I get it, and I'm not trying to be a dick, but fwiw, additional evidence could have both lengthened his sentence and potentially uncovered new victims, and importantly, other people involved.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Busket Posket posted:

Jesus christ… A compelling read but :cry:

I get a little wobbly when people talk about hosed-up injections because it triggers a sense memory of stubborn healthcare professionals diiiiiiigging around to find a vein when I’ve been stuck in the hospital a few times.

If you’re similarly needle-phobic at all and don’t want to be in hell for however long it would take you to read the article, the gist is that the anonymous people assigned to execute prisoners are often VERY BAD at administering injections and end up literally torturing people to achieve some form of whatever Justice means in the US.

I once got 9 pokes for one IV and then the doc called off the surgery so I spent like 3 hours of them jamming needles into me just to have to go home. That article hits hard. I should have listed needles in the trigger warnings. There's just too many. I apologize.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Busket Posket posted:

Was this the fire one?

The Perfect Fire

Goddamn.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Desert Bus posted:

We shouldn't have the death penalty in the first place, but if we did, two rules: one, the governor has to personally administer all executions, and two, if your lethal loving injection is botched to the extent that you survive, gently caress it, that's it, you're free.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Rochallor posted:

We shouldn't have the death penalty in the first place, but if we did, two rules: one, the governor has to personally administer all executions, and two, if your lethal loving injection is botched to the extent that you survive, gently caress it, that's it, you're free.

Hand your local Ned Stark a syringe full of confiscated Fentanyl. There are maybe hundreds of better drugs for IV death than the lovely often altered 3 drug protocol normally used but god forbid a prisoner get high for 5 seconds before they die. Like you don't even need IV teams just someone who can ram a needle into flesh. Cruelty is the point etc. I am sure any prison that administers the death penalty probably confiscates more than enough effective drugs.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Honestly the only way I would ever be okay with the death penalty is if they used the most humane method possible, which I think would be hypoxia via nitrogen or helium.

But even then I wouldn't like death sentences because we do not have a good Justice system. (I'm in the US)

But talking to pro-death penalty folks it's also pretty clear that a lot of them have zero interest in being humane. Also they wish it upon their political enemies, so that's cool and good.

Tenkaris has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Jan 7, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Tenkaris posted:

Honestly the only way I would ever be okay with the death penalty is if they used the most humane method possible, which I think would be hypoxia via nitrogen or helium.

But I'm pretty much not down with it regardless, we do not have a good Justice system. But it's also pretty clear that a lot of people have zero interest in being humane.

The article covers that one of the people requested that, as was his legal right, and they flat out ignored it.

There is no right way to do the death penalty but there are like a million better ways to do it wrong?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
There's a documentary about various execution methods that includes the presenter going into an altitude training chamber and going into (but not dying from) nitrogen hypoxia. His conclusion was that it was by far the most humane way to do executions and towards the end of the documentary it shows him talking to a prison warden (or something like that) who basically says "but we want it to be as inhumane as legally possible."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
hypoxia is unnerving in how you will get high and giggle your way to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcvkjfG4A_M
or perhaps a less famous one of some US Air Force cadets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKCMRJHYls8

more unnerving: those lifesaving air masks above your seat will last for 10 minutes at best

because descending to breathable altitude takes way less time and the pilots have way more air in proper tanks, so if the system fails you have bigger problems than how long the air lasts

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 07:53 on Jan 7, 2023

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

more unnerving: those lifesaving air masks above your seat will last for 10 minutes at best

Running 100% o2 on a cannula is only good to 18000', so the minimal sealing those cup masks have on an average person is unlikely to keep them fully conscious (or conscious at all) should the decent to thicker air take too long. The partial pressure just isn't high enough to keep your blood oxygen high enough.

Basically, if you do lose pressure the only hope you have is the pilot getting to a breathable altitude in a reasonable time. If the pilot is pulling an Andreas Lubitz and manages to depressurize the cabin but remain at altitude it's goodnight to all.

Have a good flight, folks.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Content Warning: They're giving a white cop 100 years in prison for these crimes. It's only a Guardian article so the details aren't graphic but there is a lot of csa.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Inceltown posted:

Content Warning: They're giving a white cop 100 years in prison for these crimes. It's only a Guardian article so the details aren't graphic but there is a lot of csa.

quote:

“Jesus Christ has forgiven me. I’m grateful for that. I hope and pray that anybody that this has affected would also find forgiveness and healing through Jesus Christ.”

gently caress you buddy

rocketpig
Nov 24, 2019

Busket Posket posted:

Was this the fire one?

The Perfect Fire

Thank you!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Was it a woman stuck?

Yeah, either in quicksand or mud.

Busket Posket posted:

…and was this the beach story? A woman swerved off a cliff, crashed onto the shore below, then spent 7 days trying to survive while trapped in alongside her crumpled SUV.

Nah, in the one I'm thinking of the person ended up drowning coz the tide came in.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

rocketpig posted:

Thank you!

Yeah, either in quicksand or mud.

Nah, in the one I'm thinking of the person ended up drowning coz the tide came in.

Might be someone that drowned in Turnagain Arm, Alaska
https://akfatal.net/Dickison.htm

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2018/05/14/rescuers-try-but-rising-tide-claims-woman/

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

hawowanlawow posted:

gently caress you buddy

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

God drat that fire one was absolutely devastating.

rocketpig
Nov 24, 2019

That sounds familiar, thank you.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Inceltown posted:

Oh, Louisiana. Police there feel extra-invincible because legally they still get their offices and houses cleaned by slaves (incarcerated people who have shown “good behavior” get the “honor”) and I wish he would’ve gotten treated like the shitbag he is rather than offered a plea deal that probably includes doing his time in a protected facility.

Don’t click the link to the Advocate article unless you hate yourself and also want your rage against the filth to burn like a brick of magnesium in response to more details.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’d say this is a bit more lighthearted than the past previous posts but, like, it’s still about suicide. Sort of.

Romance Novelist Susan Meachen Un-Unalives Herself
(In case the paywall goes up)

quote:

By Rebecca Alter

Van Gogh. Dickinson. Mr. Peanut. Many great artists and thinkers go unrecognized in their lifetimes, only for their works to transcend obscurity after their deaths. Self-published romance novelist Susan Meachen appears to have taken those stories to heart, attempting to generate posthumous success while still very much … humous. In September 2020, Meachen’s “daughter” allegedly posted from the novelist’s account to her Facebook group, ominously named the Ward, to announce that Meachen had committed suicide. On January 2, 2023, Meachen, who bills herself as the “Author of Perfectly Flawed Romances,” redacted her own death.

“I debated on how to do this a million times and still not sure if it’s right or not. There’s going to be tons of questions and a lot of people leaving the group I guess,” she wrote in the Ward. “But my family did what they thought was best for me and I can’t fault them for it. I almost died again at my own hand and had to go through all that hell again. Returning to The Ward doesn’t mean much but I am in a good place now and I am hoping to write again. Let the fun begin.”

Obviously, Meachen alluding to real mental-health issues in the 2023 post is something that should be taken seriously and believed. At the same time, “Returning to The Ward” after surfacing from your own faux suicide and telling your followers “Let the fun begin” is the sort of villainous turn you normally don’t see outside of fiction. As Meachen wrote on the cover of her August 2020 book, His Wicked Way, “Being wicked was never so much fun.” But for once, Meachen’s fan base didn’t like her storytelling. For one, lying about a topic as sensitive and prevalent as suicide is a triggering thing to do. Meachen’s fellow author and online acquaintance Samantha A. Cole messaged Meachen after the post to ask what was going on, to which the undead author responded, “Nothing. I simply want my life back. My family was in a bad place and did what they thought was best for me.” “Excuse me while I now go get shitfaced in memory of coworkers and friends who I know really did commit suicide,” Cole wrote when posting screenshots of the conversation.

In a thread, Cole recounts how in the months following Meachen’s alleged “death,” the author’s Facebook account remained active, allegedly marshaled by her daughter, making numerous posts insinuating that Meachen was “bullied in the book world to the point of suicide.” This sparked further grief, guilt, and finger-pointing in Meachen’s corner of the romance-lit community. Furthermore, Meachen appears to have lied about taking her life as a way of gaining money and book sales. In October 2020, her “daughter” posted a link to purchase Meachen’s “final” book, Love to Last a Lifetime, and encouraged her readers and fellow writers to purchase it in her honor. Furthermore, Twitter user @draggerofliars alleges that authors raised and donated $1,700 for Meachen’s burial expenses. Booktok is currently losing its mind.

And that final book? It opens with an epigraph in which Meachen quotes herself, calling it an “AUTHOR MOTO [sic].” It reads:

“‘Be Unique Be You Be Beautiful’ ~Author Susan Meachen.”

Words to not-die by.

Now, this substack article goes even deeper into this story, answering the question: well, why was she bullied?

quote:

Since the story erupted a few days ago, there’s been no shortage of people asking questions and speculating as to why Meachen chose to leave this way and why she made the decision to make herself known now.

One possible motive is money: a reddit user in r/RomanceBooks wrote a post titled Another Author Behaving Badly.... coming back from the dead? They mention finding several posts on facebook and elsewhere of artists providing Meachen with cover art which they accuse her of turning around and selling, claiming it to be her work.

Even more wild is Meanchen’s response

quote:

MEACHEN’S RESPONSE:

“The best fiction is rooted in fact, the events may not be authentic but the emotions are. Since 2020 that's been my life and death. Did I leave the mortal coil? No but the pain was real. You can't just take "a break" from that, not unless the bullies take a break too which was basically all I wanted. I died not physically but spiritually.

The bullying stopped and I was finally able to breathe ironically when people believed I STOPPED breathing, they knew how far I was pushed and finally saw the toxicity. Things actually improved not just for me but for others, you can criticize the means but you can't deny the end.

But then what? At some point I wasn't doing anyone any good by staying dead when there was more to be gained and more healing to be had by reaching out. The New Year seemed like an auspicious time for a New Beginning. I knew some people would be upset at least at first, I'm sorry they feel that way but the proof is in the pudding.

A Fiction Author's job is to create New Realities which is what I did. Does transcending the pages of a book make me a bad Author or a good one? Who's to say where the lines are drawn but in one tiny corner of the world my death was real, the darkness that led up to it was real and so was the light that emerged.

Only the end of my life was a work of fiction and those who would prefer otherwise should consider what that means they WANT me dead. Even if you think I did something wrong does it warrant THAT? The death penalty? The same toxicity pushed me to this in the first place proves I was morally justified, as soon as the world learned I still had a pulse the bullying resumed and the "piling on" began.

So why did I make a public return? What will be different this time? As I said the best fiction is rooted in fact. For the past 2+ years I've lived my own death, I've witnessed what few others have and survived to tell the tale. And that's exactly what I'll do, in my next book will be one only I could write. Because I lived it, I lived that death. What better stage for a Perfectly Flawed Romance?

Thanks for this opportunity to speak my Truth.”

And my favorite quote from an interview:

quote:

MG: There have been conflicting comments regarding various fundraisers and donations gifted to your family - could you confirm whether or not the family did indeed receive any funds, and if so, will you be returning those funds?

SM: I'm not aware of a "charity auction" and didn't ask for any such thing. If that actually happened it must have been someone exploiting my death for their own gain. People may have given my daughter money. They can take that up with her. But no one forced them to do that so why would they be owed anything? The same goes for those who donated their services to help get the book published. DONATED. Suddenly they think there's a contract for them to get paid money? As though they haven't already been paid in exposure they didn't even expect? No one forced them to do that either.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Wild story.

I like her righteous indignation that anyone who has any problem with what she did or any questions about what she’s done would “rather her dead”. Sure it’s blatantly obvious that she’s trying to avoid responsibility and scrutiny by jumping to that but it’s also very amusing.

My gut feel is there isn’t a daughter or she has a daughter who isn’t aware of any of this - I have no proof or any previous knowledge of the woman but it would fit with this type of person.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

After decades of true crime TV shows and 15+ years of podcasts, does anyone know of any "missing" people that have finally surfaced after being the topic of an episode? In most cases it's probably unlikely, but maybe something like someone hitchhiked their way across the US to escape their current situation whatever that may have been just to change names and stay on the down low?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It may be apocryphal but I remember there being stories about the Soul Asylum music video for "Runaway Train" which featured images and names of real missing people causing some of them to be found who had left their homes due to bad circumstances and having to go back.