Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

Claim that they abolished slavery when they literally didn't

Weka posted:

Enshrine slavery in their constitution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Kreeblah posted:

Well, poo poo. I was just thinking of the petroleum-based ones.

They even put corn in their petrol! It's worse for the environment too, hahahaha dummies.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

yellowcar posted:

unironically claiming to be the most progressive and democratic nation in the world like, holy poo poo the loving blinkers on these people lol

yeah its frustrating and i dont even live there

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

exmarx posted:

using fahrenheit is probably why they don't care about climate change... "2º warming? doesn't sound like much to me"

this is absolutely true

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
- slavish devotion to casual dining chain restaurants, ala. applebees, chillis, red lobster, bubba gump shrimp co etc
- calling main courses entrees (???)
- calling entrees appetizers
- operation gladio

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

we're a melting pot

Talking about being a "melting pot" as if becoming an homogenized undifferentiated cultural slurry is a good objective. In reality, the only really culturally acceptable result in America is to emerge from the melting pot as close to being a WASP as possible.

Svaha has issued a correction as of 07:25 on Jan 9, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
ruining the reputation of paperclips

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Y'know, I haven't really thought about it before, but that whole executing people thing is pretty hosed up.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

CODChimera posted:

yeah its frustrating and i dont even live there

New Zealanders aren't much better at self reflection.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

exmarx posted:

they have the death penalty

But they don't apply it universally.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

exmarx posted:

their most popular chocolate brand tastes like vomit on purpose

this one never ceases to amaze me

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
they imprison more people than any other country

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

exmarx posted:

yeah hershey is really loving bad lol

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

americans love to put sugar in everything, no wonder theyre so loving fat

their bread is barely edible and they put sugar on popcorn.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

- worse sidewalks and somehow worse roads than Türkiyé
- no tax on motor vehicle engine displacement
- no central e-government website to do various things, instead have to log on to city, county, state, tristate, private public partnership websites for different (or same) things
- no national ID
- it follows there is no religion field on national ID to write ATHEIST

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 18:09 on Jan 9, 2023

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

olives black posted:

Don't office workers in Denmark litter peoples' desks with the Denmark flag when it's their birthday?
At most you'd get a single flag in most places I think, though I've literally never seen it done. We do use the flag as decoration for celebrations, arguably to put that celebration on the level of official flag flying day celebrations - meaning the birthday of a little kid for example is raised up in importance to the level of that of the queen's. Obviously it does enforce nationalism by associating the flag with celebrations, but there is no conscious awareness of the nationalist connotation when (most) people do it - for better or worse. I don't think the same can be said for people hanging flags on their houses.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

Zodium posted:

I… uh, huh? What?

Who the gently caress is doing that here?

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

exmarx posted:

Tried explaining this once and was not believed. Butyric acid? Sure buddy! Hey watch out for dihydrogen monoxide :smug: :smuggo: :smugissar:

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

A Buttery Pastry posted:

[...] We do use the flag as decoration for celebrations, arguably to put that celebration on the level of official flag flying day celebrations - meaning the birthday of a little kid for example is raised up in importance to the level of that of the queen's. Obviously it does enforce nationalism by associating the flag with celebrations, but there is no conscious awareness of the nationalist connotation when (most) people do it - for better or worse. I don't think the same can be said for people hanging flags on their houses.

Whoa, you have brain space devoted to thinking about a queen? I never considered that, I just have a constant low key burning fervor for freedom. :911:

Pouring white sugar on popcorn would not surprise me, but also see the popular "kettle corn" for some gross sugary garbage you can find at fairs, farmers markets, and in the grocery store.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Though to be fair, Hershey's Kisses taste like poo poo, not puke

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

palindrome posted:

Pouring white sugar on popcorn would not surprise me, but also see the popular "kettle corn" for some gross sugary garbage you can find at fairs, farmers markets, and in the grocery store.

thread has lost the plot if you're shittalking kettle corn

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Using fahrenheit is whatever, but alleging its superiority (really just about familiarity and the cultural inability, resistance, and refusal to do change even if it constitutes an improvement) is hosed up and American as hell

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Well I never thought popcorn was missing a bunch of caramelized sugar but I guess it's popular. And Crackerjack is a classic snack so sure, sweet popcorn for all.

Clapping at the movie theatre is hilarious though, it feels very dumb to be surrounded by such a thing

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

thread has lost the plot if you're shittalking kettle corn

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

EEKA GEEK posted:

Using fahrenheit is whatever, but alleging its superiority (really just about familiarity and the cultural inability, resistance, and refusal to do change even if it constitutes an improvement) is hosed up and American as hell

sure it’s wildly impractical for any calculations or scientific use, but for ambient temperature it’s hard to beat “on a scale of 1-100 how hot is it out”

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

sure it’s wildly impractical for any calculations or scientific use, but for ambient temperature it’s hard to beat “on a scale of 1-100 how hot is it out”

If you live anywhere where it goes below freezing, celsius ("centigrade" for the oldheads) is unquestionably the superior system

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

palindrome posted:

Whoa, you have brain space devoted to thinking about a queen? I never considered that, I just have a constant low key burning fervor for freedom. :911:
americans devote more brain space to royalty than any other people. both to go "ew, royalty" and to worship/hate their own elected monarchs

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

vyelkin posted:

they imprison more people than any other country

exmarx posted:

they have the death penalty

if you dont like americans arent these good things?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

gradenko_2000 posted:

ruining the reputation of paperclips

do you have a problem with giving second chance to talented STEM graduates?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

EEKA GEEK posted:

If you live anywhere where it goes below freezing, celsius ("centigrade" for the oldheads) is unquestionably the superior system

I would think that not using negative numbers as frequently would be more intuitive

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

lobster shirt posted:

if you dont like americans arent these good things?

lmfao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Zodium posted:

TBF it’s better than the Dutch (old hands at capitalism)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
they only think the "domestic" box office matters, including for movies that weren't made there

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

exmarx posted:

they only think the "domestic" box office matters, including for movies that weren't made there

drat u right that's hosed UP

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

EEKA GEEK posted:

Oh sweet, time for a couple of pages of americans arguing that farenheit is superior because they know how it "feels", while never considering that everyone else knows how celcius "feels".

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
calling the finals for a game only they play "the world series"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

calling the finals for a game only they play "the world series"

this is blue jays erasure

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

exmarx posted:

using fahrenheit is probably why they don't care about climate change... "2º warming? doesn't sound like much to me"

Sadly, I have explained this to multiple americans and then they realize what 2°C actually entails and are upset. Very stupid country!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I would think that not using negative numbers as frequently would be more intuitive
it seems more intuitive than "water freezes below 32"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Well, I guess speaking for the rest of the world, we're just "used to it"