Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

TOGETHER by @hausofdecline

CW: nudity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, I am pretty invested in how badass that little king is now. I kinda had kage's opinion there about what he could do.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Ditocoaf posted:

The witch explained at one point that their deal was that they were older than this entire civilization, and civilization had stopped changing for a while now, and they were just bored. Abigail having to end the world was entirely made up by the Cool Witch, a prophecy they told Abigail on one end and the King on the other to set things in motion. They presumably thought Abigail, after fighting her way through the entire civilization, would just latch back into the brain and scrape most of the population off the back of the world, or something. Or maybe cause enough destruction on her way there. But the key is, if the nature of "ending the world" is undefined, that's because it was a lie with only enough detail to get people moving.

Thanks for this (and the hint that Cool Witch came from the brain like Abigail). I guess this leaves me still wondering why the Cool Witch came to be... it definitely feels like the comic has enough internal consistency that the "being-born-from-the-brain" thing has some kind of meaning, and if that's the case, presumably there'd be some kind of a reason why exactly two superpowered characters were birthed from the giant's brain. I guess the answer could be just "the giant is a creative mind and thought them up which somehow gave them existence" but I hope it's not that.

quote:

So, idk, I wouldn't try to figure out where that upside-down-church in the brain stem came from.
B-but I need to know how this ties to the lore of Neon Genesis Evangelion

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

and that's it for pop team epic! there were a lot more than i expected and a lot more were actually pretty funny compared to what i expected when i first read through the archives and then decided to share. if you absolutely need more of these funny girls, more exist and you can seek them out. just remember the ones i didnt post were largely just boring/inscrutable/not super pc.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I can't believe Pop Team Epic ran out before BACK. Oh well, it was a good time.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Hempuli posted:

Thanks for this (and the hint that Cool Witch came from the brain like Abigail). I guess this leaves me still wondering why the Cool Witch came to be... it definitely feels like the comic has enough internal consistency that the "being-born-from-the-brain" thing has some kind of meaning, and if that's the case, presumably there'd be some kind of a reason why exactly two superpowered characters were birthed from the giant's brain. I guess the answer could be just "the giant is a creative mind and thought them up which somehow gave them existence" but I hope it's not that.

B-but I need to know how this ties to the lore of Neon Genesis Evangelion

Here's my theory on the cool witch, Abigail, and Back's chronology:

It might be that beings emerge from the giant unconsciously. The cool witch emerged from the giant's brain, however many years later the other people emerge from whichever of the giants organs, form their society. The cool witch is very powerful, and old, and could probably do a lot to shape that society as she saw fit. Over such a long time span, her motivations probably changed a lot. We can't really know what she wanted at first but after enough time she just wanted to keep things interesting for herself, and when there was nothing left to interest her she sought to end her life. She probably could have returned to the giant's brain at any time, like Abigail, but she either never considers this or is too cowardly to confront her mortality so directly, so she hatches a plan.

The only being that could be powerful enough to challenge her would also be born from the giant's brain. To get the giant to take enough of an interest in the people of it's back that it would produce another brainchild, she instructs the king to drill and consume the giant's blood. Extracting the blood makes the giant react, creating Abigail in something like an immune response, and consuming the blood makes the king and his cronies powerful enough to antagonize Abigail.

Abigail emerges, with no memories, she just exists to observe the giant's back. But the cool witch needs Abigail to challenge her, so instructs the king to send her away and bury her. Abigail as she emerged didn't have the knowledge or motivation to challenge the cool witch. The cool witch hoped that a journey across the corrupt society would motivate her to do something. I don't think the cool witch even had a clear idea of what, she just wanted something new to happen. Whether she kills the cool witch, ends the whole world, or what, the cool witch just wants something interesting to happen. So she digs up Abigail, tells her she has to go north and end the world, and returns to the king to wait.

Abigail travels north, learning and growing stronger, eventually deciding not to end the world, but she doesn't know what to do instead. She returns to the giant's brain, and the giant learns what Abigail has to say. This spurs the giant to action, removing the castle and drill. If Abigail had a more negative experience, the giant might instead have scrubbed it's back clean. By making sure greedy, corrupt, arrogant idiots were in charge of each town, and powerful enough to fight Abigail, but not powerful enough to beat her, the cool witch tried to make Abigail's experience of the world as negative as possible. But she encountered enough good people outside the witch's control that this plan failed. Or maybe that was also part of the witches plan? Giving Abigail a mix of experiences to keep her actions unpredictable, and therefore interesting? Idk.

I think the cool witch emerged as a response to the tick. That's why she thought extracting more blood would create another being like her.

I don't believe the cool witch was really a witch like the other members of that religion, I think she just used that persona to influence events. I also don't know how she knew consuming giant blood would give people superpowers. Maybe she just told the king to drink it to see what would happen, and when he became stronger she thought to keep trying it?

Blackula Vs. Tarantula has a new favorite as of 05:19 on Jan 9, 2023

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Mike Stonetower trained for the Fake Marines the only way he knew how. By jumping around in his yard.

You guessed it: it's a Todd Got hosed Wednesday. Tell your parents.

The last photo is what Leonid Brezhnev looked like when it got way too hot at his building and he had to go up to the roof.

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

e-dt posted:

Mike Stonetower trained for the Fake Marines the only way he knew how. By jumping around in his yard.

For the time it was posted, this might be the most important Achewood ever.
Also the rest made me realized that we haven't gotten to magical Mexican realism or the wedding yet, and I'm excited.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Daaamn! That answer could use some work!" is the perfect response to a lot of things

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:bahgawd: you failed us all little girl!

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

Okay so I've been wanting to post this one for awhile, but I didn't want to oversaturate the thread with manga/anime, as honestly I'm kind of tepid on it all.

That said...

Their Story is an incredibly light, fun and charming piece of storytelling that hasn't been posted in a run for around ~5 years (last time in BYOB by Improbable Lobster afaik, where it became lovingly referred to as "Long Lesbians"), but I know this thread has some folks that will appreciate it. I will be posting the same yaoi-blcd translation copped from Tumblr, but I want to re-host just in case at the same time.

CW: Sun Jing steps over the line pretty frequently as a character; I don't know what to tell you.

So without further adieu...

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Japanese comics have a thing for casual inappropriate touching is what I'm noticing.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

IIRC the creator is Chinese but otherwise yes.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

what on earth

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Rereading BACK at your own pace you'll also notice things you might have missed or not realized had much importance at first. For example, one neat thing towards the beginning is the person who stops them from burying Abigail alive is none other than Frick!

this is the comic i was talking about in this post

and there's all kinds of stuff like this you can notice on a second reading. Not just foreshadowing: you can notice the extremely subtle facial expressions certain characters have that let you in on how they really feel vs what they're saying. king dang especially. I would say that from the very beginning he presents as someone who knows they are completely lacking control of the situation.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Grraarrgghh posted:

Okay so I've been wanting to post this one for awhile, but I didn't want to oversaturate the thread with manga/anime, as honestly I'm kind of tepid on it all.

That said...

Their Story is an incredibly light, fun and charming piece of storytelling that hasn't been posted in a run for around ~5 years (last time in BYOB by Improbable Lobster afaik, where it became lovingly referred to as "Long Lesbians"), but I know this thread has some folks that will appreciate it. I will be posting the same yaoi-blcd translation copped from Tumblr, but I want to re-host just in case at the same time.

CW: Sun Jing steps over the line pretty frequently as a character; I don't know what to tell you.

So without further adieu...

Finally the return of the long lesbians

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Not much luck finding comics to post before work, but here's a charmingly dumb one

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zil posted:

Finally the return of the long lesbians

How does everyone recognise this. I've never seen it before and honestly that first one is not really endearing me to it

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

By popular demand posted:

Not much luck finding comics to post before work, but here's a charmingly dumb one

Okay this is too real

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

you've never patted a girls but and blamed it on a dude? man you're missing out on some very cruel jokery! it sucks mega poo poo for everyone involved!

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

Admittedly it starts off pretty rakish but stick with it.

Extra post to be less badtouchy

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p5fxlqltJw

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

some plague rats posted:

How does everyone recognise this. I've never seen it before and honestly that first one is not really endearing me to it

the cccc comic thread has been a "dump the entirety of a comic" thread for a lot longer than this one has, and it got posted there

from somewhat hazy memory, it isn't all assgrabbing

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Kinda hazy here too, but didn't this one get its rear end grabbed, so to speak, by the Chinese government for being too gay? Did that ever get sorted out?

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

some plague rats posted:

"Daaamn! That answer could use some work!" is the perfect response to a lot of things

Ironically, "I guess by not giving a poo poo!" Is the perfect response to many questions that are not that one

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Did you forget to log in as Wizard Master?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:smithicide: don't say things like that

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah wizard master's made some good threads

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

wizard master is truly a master (of wizards)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Wizards: no sense of good and bad

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Previously on Opplopolis: Spy Femmes!

The Dwarf Fortress joke here sets the tone for Marvin in general and his interactions with Pangolin in particular. I enjoy their interplay.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
How to turn on the computer is a great gag

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The followup Google bit is also great.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I do appreciate the bait and switch there with the old guy not knowing computers but then the audience also not knowing computers.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I assumed that’s just what turning on the computer felt like to him, rather than the literal events, but I’m not 100% confident on that.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

I assumed that’s just what turning on the computer felt like to him, rather than the literal events, but I’m not 100% confident on that.

I've got the exact same read on this.
I actually like that the comic is done that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yeah it's from pangolins perspective. the comic repeatedly goes back to his obvious discomfort to highlight this, so in a way the audience doesn't know computers.

plus there's more computers later in the story that aren't like that, but obviously we ain't gotten to them yet.