Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
is semaglutide an op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

"Buproprion led to significant improvement in our patient’s depression symptoms and significant increases in gray matter, white matter, and total brain volumes. The dopamine and norepinephrine agonist methamphetamine can also increase gray matter volume in the right putamen, which is associated with better inhibitory control. Apart from these dopamine-related mechanisms, bupropion probably also changes gray matter volume by preventing oxidative stress related to major depressive disorder, or by modulating glutamate receptor function."

Is more grey matter = better, because if so, Jolly might have got this one right.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
They had won the battle. They loved Jolyon.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Westbutrin

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

They had won the battle. They loved Jolyon.

Jolol

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

StashAugustine posted:

in '66 to 7 he'd have been fighting for a mutiny of ex-Tshombe mercs against Mobutu's dictatorship, after the US et al decided they'd rather deal with one dictator than two countries. the moral is that no one likes a centrist

'67 at least would overlap with the Biafra War, since that gets name checked before the Congo does. Perhaps the song is historically inaccurate? IDK I know nothing about my headless Norwegian mercs in Africa lore otherwise

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i just stopped taking wellbutrin largely because it helps me massively with my poo poo for about two months and then I get roaring loud suicidal ideation that exceeds anything i ever feel otherwise. Like that kind of thinking is so very much outside my wheelhouse that it's intrusive as hell when it shows up.

So that poo poo goes in the trash can now.

If it helps you and you're not long-term with it, I would caution that tolerance does build, and be mindful of it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
have you guys tried monosodium glutamate? i usually find that perks me right up

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It seems like there isn’t and never has been a secret truth serum. If it existed we would have seen the consequences of its advantages at some point by now. I don’t think the state secret people would be able to keep from bragging and beginning the rumor mill.

Instead they’re bragging about slamming some guy’s head into the wall a bunch or making someone spend days on end in a coffin, extremely diy versions of torturing out a confession.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Trabisnikof posted:

It seems like there isn’t and never has been a secret truth serum. If it existed we would have seen the consequences of its advantages at some point by now. I don’t think the state secret people would be able to keep from bragging and beginning the rumor mill.

Instead they’re bragging about slamming some guy’s head into the wall a bunch or making someone spend days on end in a coffin, extremely diy versions of torturing out a confession.

Nah, read the KUBARK torture manual and maybe Operation Mind Control. The truth serum exists, it's just rarely used, due to bring very skilled-labor intensive and never the most cost effective option. It requires being used in conjunction with advanced hypnotherapy in a very controlled, deceptive, and illegal environment.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

mdemone posted:

I have never slept well in my life and they gave me many things before settling on Effexor

it's great if you don't ever, ever miss a dose

Do you get the weird eye thing too where when you move your eyes it feels like the world instantly tilts a bit

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

maxwellhill posted:

lol that the thread for "pharmaceuticals origins in a psyop by Jolly West, with a universal track record of secret safety scandals" turning into the "recommend me a pharmaceutical" thread

and settling on Welbutrin, famous for how they ruined a researcher's entire career for discovering that it caused brain holes, and which also precludes you from taking antivirals, in the (extremely likely) event that you need them this year

is that true

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

maxwellhill posted:

Nah, read the KUBARK torture manual and maybe Operation Mind Control. The truth serum exists, it's just rarely used, due to bring very skilled-labor intensive and never the most cost effective option. It requires being used in conjunction with advanced hypnotherapy in a very controlled, deceptive, and illegal environment.

But that’s my point, KUBACK describes torture and psychological abuse/techniques, not a truth serum.

We’ve known how to torture and psychologically abuse people for centuries. The quest for a truth serum was to find an easier, faster, and less logistically intensive method. And like so many of the grand ideas of the US secret state, it failed miserably.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022

Shear Modulus posted:

is that true

drat, thought it was in here where someone posted the whole story but nope, perhaps somewhere I don't have access now. I remember permanent brain lesions (not just "more brain") and the manufacturer somehow getting all the investigator's work pulled and career ruined. other people seem to have discussed whatever brain organ changes being permanent.

Trabisnikof posted:

But that’s my point, KUBACK describes torture and psychological abuse/techniques, not a truth serum.

no I've read both drugging and hypnosis used together. As in hypnosis drug. several that work well. that's the only way to get an unwilling subject into the state.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Is the hypnosis drug lsd

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

maxwellhill posted:

drat, thought it was in here where someone posted the whole story but nope, perhaps somewhere I don't have access now. I remember permanent brain lesions (not just "more brain") and the manufacturer somehow getting all the investigator's work pulled and career ruined. other people seem to have discussed whatever brain organ changes being permanent.

sounds legit

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

would love more brain

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

We’ve known how to torture and psychologically abuse people for centuries. The quest for a truth serum was to find an easier, faster, and less logistically intensive method. And like so many of the grand ideas of the US secret state, it failed miserably.

it owns that all the rube goldberg control schemes cooked up by 1960/70s security state psychologists and psychiatrists failed and we just looped back to medieval torture minus the bullshit. sleep deprivation and pain ftw

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

brain and brain! what is brain?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

can't believe we have to cancel Roland the headless Thompson gunner

already cancelled pretty hard by that son of a bitch Van Owen

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

endocriminologist posted:

Do you get the weird eye thing too where when you move your eyes it feels like the world instantly tilts a bit

when in withdrawal? yeah a little bit mostly the buzzy brain

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Wellbutrin, when you first start taking it, allows you to drink without feeling it too much, which is a secret agent trick.

I was on it for about five years until this fall I was no longer feeling like I was getting anything out of it. went off, felt bubbly brained for a week or two. switched to periodic microdosing and am experiencing much better results.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

maxwellhill posted:

no I've read both drugging and hypnosis used together. As in hypnosis drug. several that work well. that's the only way to get an unwilling subject into the state.

Then which drug is the “truth serum”? Using drugs to assist in torture/hypnosis isn’t a truth serum, especially when the efficacy isn’t that great.

Is there any evidence of anyone they’ve ever used it on to get the truth out of them? (Versus using these techniques to Sirhan Sirhan someone, which isn’t the same activity.)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zodium posted:

it owns that all the rube goldberg control schemes cooked up by 1960/70s security state psychologists and psychiatrists failed and we just looped back to medieval torture minus the bullshit. sleep deprivation and pain ftw

It’s such a classic “we can make anything perfect if we just quantify and science it hard enough!” That was fundamental to most of the American failures of the time, from truth drugs to bussing to vietnam.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

selec posted:

Wellbutrin, when you first start taking it, allows you to drink without feeling it too much, which is a secret agent trick.

it’ll increase your seizure threshold too, which can give you the spicy kind of hangover :)

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Trabisnikof posted:

Then which drug is the “truth serum”? Using drugs to assist in torture/hypnosis isn’t a truth serum, especially when the efficacy isn’t that great.

Is there any evidence of anyone they’ve ever used it on to get the truth out of them? (Versus using these techniques to Sirhan Sirhan someone, which isn’t the same activity.)

Sodium pentothal is what I've always heard

selec
Sep 6, 2003

ultimately the only 100% reliable truth serum is comradely openness. you gotta befriend someone and explain yourself in a way that makes sense, which is why US spooks went absolutely loving crazy that Koreans were able to explain their struggle to American POWs and get them on board with it, and also explains why the US cannot do this to people it captures: you can’t be honest about the US AND think they’re good guys who need your help.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

didn’t the cia use a really potent weed tincture as a truth serum for a bit?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

RandolphCarter posted:

didn’t the cia use a really potent weed tincture as a truth serum for a bit?

It probably would be easier to use genuine positive vibes to unlock the truth :hmmyes:

Grendel
Jul 21, 2001

Heh, heh, heh...bueno

selec posted:

ultimately the only 100% reliable truth serum is comradely openness. you gotta befriend someone and explain yourself in a way that makes sense, which is why US spooks went absolutely loving crazy that Koreans were able to explain their struggle to American POWs and get them on board with it, and also explains why the US cannot do this to people it captures: you can’t be honest about the US AND think they’re good guys who need your help.

Oddly enough, a similar technique was pioneered by the Luftwaffe to interrogate downed Allied airmen, and it worked incredibly well. Build a rapport with your prisoner, take them on long walks in the countryside, talk to them about their home and yours, and they'll eventually tell you whatever you want to know. To the best of my knowledge, it's the most effective interrogation method, and the only downside is that it takes empathy & time.

But since it involves treating the enemy as human, it's fallen out of favour.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

selec posted:

The US is easily the most evil nation to tread the earth, so this tracks.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Grendel posted:

Oddly enough, a similar technique was pioneered by the Luftwaffe to interrogate downed Allied airmen, and it worked incredibly well. Build a rapport with your prisoner, take them on long walks in the countryside, talk to them about their home and yours, and they'll eventually tell you whatever you want to know. To the best of my knowledge, it's the most effective interrogation method, and the only downside is that it takes empathy & time.

In my building there is a poster for the semi-secret interrogation unit JTF-X, which is doing annual selection, and it's a muslim woman seated at a table in an interrogation room, wearing a Hijab, with the caption something like "You have 30 minutes to find out where to bomb is. Are you up to it? Talk to your chain of command about transfer to JTF-X today.".

I don't think I can photograph it but I'll see what I can do.

Here's the (I'm 90% sure...) declassified job description if you want to know more about my esteemed colleagues who insist on calling their office "The Unit":

People who are definitely nice to muslims posted:

CFINTCOM HQ

Subj: Temporary Svc opportunity - CFINTCOM HQ, Ottawa - (Actual Employment Location: JTFX Kingston, ON)

CFINTCOM HQ has a Temporary for a UnSp/UnSp MOS ID/Occupation 00099-01-INT OP to commence on DATE until DATE. Only personnel from the following Component/Sub-Component may apply for this position: Primary Reserve Force, Supplementary Reserve Force, Regular Force.

Essential requirements are as fols:
MOS ID: 00099-01-INT OP
Language: English essential
Security clearance: Top Secret
Health: BE MED/DENT FIT
Physical fitness: MUST BE PHYSICALLY FIT
Required experience and quals:
Course Remarks:
Interrogator Operator Course [AFGO]

Unit Qualifications Remarks:
Conduct After Capture (CAC) [302100]; CAC Level C [AJQA] can be obtained once posted to the unit. Safe Driving Course [118200]. Safe driving, if already obtained but expired, can be re-certified once at the unit.

Secondary requirements of position, as applic:
A. Previous service with UIC 6599 or previous employment in Interrogator / Debriefer function; and B. Successfully complete a job specific screening and suitability interview.

Basic description of duties: A. Perform all primary and secondary roles of an interrogator/debriefer; B. Plan and lead interrogation/debriefing on training, exercise or on international operations; C. Conduct all interrogation/debriefing activities in strict accordance with Functional Directives and national policies; D. Provide support to interrogation/debriefing institutional lines of tasks; E. Be prepared to fulfill formal leadership and management roles as required; F. Be adaptive and contribute to the development of the interrogation/debriefing i capability; G. Be an ambassador and promote interrogation/debriefing capability; H. Liaise with Other Government Departments and Allied / foreign entities and/or organizations as directed by the CoC; I. Comply to short-notice requests and strict timelines; J. Conduct interrogation/debriefing continuation training and ensure professional development; K. Maintain a state of high personal readiness and deployability; L. Coordinate and ensure the execution of the CoC's direction; M. Assess on the Interrogator Assessment Centre; N. Instruct on courses; and O. Complete all required staff work and routine personnel administration.

Rations, quarters, accomodations, and/or move
Rations and quarters are available?: NO (lol!)
Member must live in service accomodation?: NO (Must = Can here, good luck finding a house here)
Member must live on the economy. (You have to pay for your own meals and quarters, again lol)
Move of DHG and E will be considered? NO (They won't move your furniture or family)

Other pertinent details: If move of DHG and E is not considered for this employment opportunity, this means that the member is responsible to bear all costs associated with moving DHG and E to their new place of duty when the member is not from the local area. No travel, rations or accommodation expenses related to the move will be reimbursed.

Nominations must include the following:
Contact information.
Confirmation of whether or not member is in receipt of a pension under the CFSA attributable to REG F SVC.
Any other pertinent info that should be considered by the employer (personal limitations affecting service performance, etc), including comments regarding any requirements for the position that may not be up to date in HRMS (such as language profile, physical fitness or medical) since initial screening for the POSN will be based on HRMS data. Sources documents will be required.

Interviews: Only applicants considered suitable for the position will be contacted for interviews.

I redacted a bunch of poo poo like the contact info and HR stuff but... lol these maniacs won't even more you here or put your messing on their expense. They also want short notice worldwide deployability, without doing any of the usual stuff to make sure your family is close, so.. yeah I guess they find people who are really into interrogation or some poo poo.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 22:38 on Jan 9, 2023

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Grendel posted:

there’s a specter haunting the mic, the specter of the labor theory of value

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/sethharpesq/status/1612504987715747840?s=20&t=wx0l5pvGrWBNZ6wJgU5ZgA
https://twitter.com/ConnectingVets/status/1612543986119352320?s=20&t=wx0l5pvGrWBNZ6wJgU5ZgA

Looks like the US secret police are arresting some elite forces at a notorious military compound for smuggling.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Gonna be a shame when all those cops are found dead of the ol two-gunshots-to-the-back-of-head suicide

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Those 2 seals who killed that sf guy were involved in running drugs and the guy they killed was new to 3rd group

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

Last week's arrests began with investigators receiving more evidence after an undercover law enforcement officer posing as an underage girl helped arrest a member of 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group. That individual was known to moonlight as a bouncer at a bar in Southern Pines frequented by the Special Forces community, a military source close to the situation explained to Connecting Vets. The Green Beret is alleged to have been pimping underaged girls to the Special Forces community at drug-fueled parties in Southern Pines.

"This is what happens when there is no war, no direction, and an 18-month red cycle with no mission," a Special Forces soldier said. "So dudes are loving around with young kids and the craziest drugs. All these lives ruined because people are just bored."

Whether the individual rolled on his accomplices or law enforcement ripped the data from his cell phone, it quickly led to the arrest of another Green Beret involved in drug trafficking in 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group.

With the information of additional suspects in hand, CID and military police set up shop at one of the main bottlenecks to entering or exiting Fort Bragg: the Longstreet gate between the post and Southern Pines.

"It was a trail of tears and douche bag cars," said a Special Forces member who witnessed the scene late last week while each soldier stopped for questioning had their vehicle parked along the street.

One of those stopped at the gate was a member of the Army's elite counter-terrorism unit called Delta Force who had recently been picked up by the unit after serving in 1st Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group. The Physician's Assistant at 3rd Special Forces Group was also questioned, according to the source.

The dragnet led to the questioning of 15 service members in total regarding drug related allegations, spread across various special operations commands on Fort Bragg.

The drugs allegedly distributed amongst the special operations community include cocaine, ecstasy, fentanyl, fentanyl lollipops, and the "date rape drug" Rohypnol often known as roofies.

Jack Murphy is a character but if anything is pro-special forces psycho

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=06Uu4CRKj1o

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Grendel posted:

unless of course you were jewish in which case you were murdered on the spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
3rd group is the africa group but they also operate in..... the CARIBBEAN