Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

January 6 Survivor posted:

I mean back in the 1940s another political country started pushing those innovative yet much more affordable designs onto its troops, victory was right around the corner too

Not a gun guy, have no idea what these are

Political Country now just makes me think of Nazi Germany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Or the Reichskommissariat Ukraine

e: "General Government" of Poland somehow even more ominous tbh

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

smug jeebus posted:

Wtf is this

art

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Futanari Damacy posted:

I think these are some of the random cheap pieces of crap the Nazis were mass producing to save money right before they were defeated, so your intuition is correct

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The RKG3 already exists.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isentropy posted:

As the resident Habsburg friend I'm gonna ask you directly: what's the best book about Maximilian I?

Oof. My knowledge really starts at the Congress of Vienna and Metternich.

I know quite a bit about linear warfare and artillery in the Seven Years War and Napoleonic Wars and a bit about the Wars of Succession through Christopher Duffy's work and Helion and Company, but that's all military history. My knowledge of social, economic and political history starts later. That there's a start point at the Congress makes sense of course, Napoleon forced Francis II to abdicate and that was the end of the Holy Roman Empire. The Napoleonic Wars, particularly the Tiroler Volksaufstand, was the transition and The Congress was the start of the new European order. Austria, and Austria-Hungary looked inward more, or in other strategic directions, as the North German states, Flanders and parts of Italy were lost. I'm digressing from my digression though.

If I have an idea of what I'm looking for, I nearly always look at Brill first, then Routledge, then Oxford or Cambridge in descending order of specialization. If I'm new to a subject, I'd even start with Penguin before going to the Oxford and Cambridge Handbooks and Blackwell Companions. Those last three are very good academic overviews, though not always good narrative histories (for that, read a Penguin book first to get hooked). When you identify an author or subject there, Brill and Routledge usually have the monographs. I don't like reading papers if I can help it, but if one appears often in the notes of the above, JSTOR. I'm sure you know this already, I'm just putting out the process for anyone skimming the thread.

I think this also explains the pattern of books I post in the thread, then begin quoting, finally feel more confident using ideas from and linking to other things. That's how it went with discovering Galicia and everything that flowed from there. Dreyland is obviously better qualified to give advice on the process than I am though.

Starting with a handbook, Oxford has one: Germany and the Holy Roman Empire: Volume I: Maximilian I to the Peace of Westphalia, 1493-1648, and there's a chapter in one of Oxford's wonderful Very Short Introductions, The early modern empire: from Maximilian I to the Thirty Years War in The Holy Roman Empire: A Very Short Introduction. The best reviewed book I can see in the journals is Maximilian I. von Bayern 1573–1651 by Dieter Albrecht. Interestingly, here's the initial impression about it in the Journal of German History:

"The Thirty Years War was a period of towering political personalities in Europe. One of the most mysterious and least-known of them, Maximilian I of Bavaria, has now joined Gustavus Adolphus, Richelieu, Olivares, Wallenstein and even Frederick Henry of Orange-Nassau in having been given not only a plethora of monographs about aspects of his policies but a mammoth biography. Dieter Albrecht's biography has 1120 pages of text, plus an index of persons, in which, characteristically, Frederick Henry does not appear, presumably because Albrecht, like many historians of the Thirty Years War seriously under-estimates the role of the Netherlands. For literary qualities and readability, Albrecht's does not compare with the great books of Michael Roberts, Golo Mann or John Elliott. But in mastery of the archival and the secondary sources, and in the clarity of his presentation in an otherwise flat style, the doyen of German studies of the Thirty Years War has fulfilled most scholarly expectations."

First of all, lol. Roberts' books are good but dense, Golo Mann is probably better known for his involvement in how German scholarship came to terms with Hitler and the Holocaust so it's an interesting inclusion (I'm not familiar with his writing on the early modern period), John Elliott died just this past year, and was apparently a very good writer on subjects I personally find a bit dull so ymmv. I'll defer to Dreyland again here, but complaining about the literary qualities and prose of German historians in translation, especially German historians of the old school writing 1100 page books is very funny to me. People have been falling all over themselves for Rudiger Safranski's recent doorstoppers even if some of the journals have the same complaints. German historians write giant loving biographies and the style of German history writing, particularly in translation, is not rip roaring fun, would be my summation though again @ Dreyland.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I read all of your post but really I should've said I meant the other Maximilian I

Like I've always wondered how he became so "liberal" for his time

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

cool that there’s no less than three of that dumb totenkopf morale patch in this picture and two of them are on the same guy, lol

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Also, noted good guy superhero, The Punisher

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/OranjeSwaeltjie/status/1611278083205771265

the Homer begging Mao to come back picture but its Robert Mugabe

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/_aboveaverage69/status/1612168520296501249?cxt=HHwWgsC4pciuyd8sAAAA

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fated To Be Fat posted:

Separate 1944 peace deal with the soviets included a clause that meant Finnish armed forces would have to push the Germans out of Finnish Lapland. Finnish armed forces of course stalled because of the whole former "co-belligerent" status and then Stalin threatened that he would use soviet forces to finish the fight. It led to the short Lapland war in which nazis used a bit of scorched earth when they retreated.

it is pretty funny finland technically got the chance to fight against the nazis, and thus recoup a miniscule amount of historical honour. fighting the nazis (or rather, just letting them burn everything and dejectedly following behind) as they retreated is brought up every single time the continuation wart is brought up

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/CanadianKitty1/status/1612482245008449536

https://ria.ru/20230109/kamnev-1843753757.html

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

smug jeebus posted:

Wtf is this

Megamissen posted:

fisheyelensphotoofcirnofumosittingonat72.png

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

smug jeebus posted:

Wtf is this

cirnu

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

i showed you my anime body pillow please respond

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://dzen-ru.translate.goog/a/Y5rOghZEL3s1C5lV?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Remember Russia's single remaining aircraft carrier that's been sitting on cinderblocks in drydock for a decade because their single remaining ex-soviet floating dock that's big enough, sank because the doors got stuck open and also one of the cranes fell over onto the flight deck?

Well the new bigger floating dock arrived from China today, so they're getting it back into action soon!

*EDIT: hopefully the production line for the navalized Sukhois is still around and hasn't been sold for parts since they stopped making them 15 years ago!

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

smug jeebus posted:

Wtf is this

Anime bullshit no doubt.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Late Soviet fleet was sincerely, genuinely, impressive it’s just that maintaining let alone refitting or building ships costs money Russia didn’t have in the 90’s.

There are some out of print books for military professionals in the 80’s, The Naval Institute Guide to the Soviet Navy and Soviet Naval Tactics, that are very clear, “if these guys ever escape into the open ocean, oh gently caress.” The ships and tactics were not just sound, but impressive. They were never trying to be the Royal Navy or USN, but their surface fleet was designed to absolutely gently caress up carrier groups, then convoys, and I don’t doubt for a minute they’d have done it.

One thing to keep in mind though just like the Fulda Gap, the expectation was that the war either ends in the first week or the world does. Soviet ships and tactics were designed with that in mind, not projecting force around the world, particularly long cruises, operating totally beyond Soviet air forces, or an independent mission other than supporting the invasion of Norway and the breakout from the GIUK Gap.

Some interesting USNI titles still in print:

Incidents at Sea: American Confrontation and Cooperation with Russia and China, 1945-2016

Drawing on extensive State Department files, declassified Navy policy papers, interviews with both former top officials and individuals who were involved in incidents, David F. Winkler examines the evolution of the U.S.-Soviet naval relationship during the Cold War, focusing in particular on the 1972 Incidents at Sea Agreement (INCSEA). In this volume, an updated edition of his classic Cold War at Sea, Winkler brings the story up to the present, detailing occasional U.S.-Russia naval force interactions, including the April 2016 Russian aircraft “buzzings” of the USS Donald Cook in the Baltic. He also details China’s efforts to militarize the South China Sea, claim sovereignty over waters within their exclusive economic zone, and the U.S. Navy’s continuing efforts to counter these challenges to freedom of navigation.

Strike from the Sea: The Development and Deployment of Strategic Cruise Missiles since 1934

The cruise missile—also referred to as a guided missile—is a widely employed tactical and strategic weapon, capable of striking ground or ship targets with conventional or nuclear warheads. Before the development of ballistic missiles for attacking an enemy’s territory, the U.S. and Soviet strategic arsenals had land-attack cruise missiles to deliver nuclear warheads. Subsequently, the U.S. and Soviet Navies, as‌ ‌well‌ ‌as‌ ‌other‌ ‌fleets, developed tactical anti-ship and anti-submarine cruise missiles.

Strike from the Sea addresses the U.S. Navy’s Regulus missile program—the world’s first submarine weapon for attacking an enemy homeland with a nuclear warhead—and the similar Soviet Navy’s cruise missile efforts. Prior to Regulus a few of the world’s submarines had deck guns that were employed for assaulting coastal targets; indeed, the British built a class of “submarine monitors” with large-caliber guns for attacking coastal targets.

The U.S. Navy’s rapid and successful development of the Polaris Submarine-Launched Ballistic Missile (SLBM) and budgetary constraints caused the cancellation of advanced submarine-launched cruise missiles—the Regulus II as well as the follow-on Rigel and Triton. Submarines armed with the Regulus I missile continued on patrols in the North Pacific until mid-1964, when they were replaced on the “deterrent” role by Polaris missile submarines. The Soviet Navy continued the development and deployment of anti-ship cruise missiles, which retained some land-attack capabilities.

21st Century Gorshkov: The Challenge of Seapower in the Modern Era

Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union Sergei Georgiyevich Gorshkov led the Soviet Navy for almost three decades during the height of the Cold War. He was the architect of the Red Fleet, turning it from little more than a coastal defense force into the most powerful navy that the Soviet Union ever possessed.

21st Century Gorshkov is a collection of articles, many of which have not previously been published in English, and passages from Admiral Gorshkov’s more famous books, each with an introduction linking the work to the challenges facing navies everywhere today. Strategists worldwide have much to learn from the Soviet legend behind the most rapid naval expansion program in peacetime history. Gorshkov’s ideas on naval power remain relevant today.

Warships of the Soviet Fleets 1939-1945 Volume 1: Major Combatants

Seventy-five years after the end of the World War II the details of Soviet ships, their activities and fates remain an enigma to the West. In wartime such information was classified and after a brief period of glasnost (‘openness’) the Russian state has again restricted access to historical archives. Therefore, the value – and originality – of this book is difficult to exaggerate. It sees the first publication of reliable data on both the seagoing fleets and riverine flotillas of the Soviet Navy, listing over 6,200 vessels from battleships to river gunboats, and mercantile conversions as well as purpose-built warships.  Divided into three volumes, this first covers major surface warships down to MTBs and armored gunboats, as well as submarines.

For every class there is a design history analyzing strategic, tactical, and technical considerations, and individual ship detail includes construction yard, key building dates, commissioning, fleet designations, relocations, and fate. Once a closely guarded secret, the wartime loss of every ship and boat (over one thousand) is described. Furthermore, the confusion caused by frequent name changes is clarified by an index that runs to sixteen thousand items. 

By following the ships through both their wartime and earlier history, the book reveals many aspects of Russian history that remain highly -sensitive: clandestine co-operation with Weimar Germany and fascist Italy, the NKVD-enforced closure of Soviet borders, the ‘Gulag Fleet’, the faked Metallist sinking that excused the military occupation of Estonia, and the ill-conceived pact with Nazi Germany. Restrictions recently imposed on historical publications in Russia mean this book could certainly not have been published there – as proven by the fact that most of the authors' Russian collaborators preferred not to disclose their identities. 

This is undoubtedly one of the most important naval reference works of recent years and will be welcomed by anyone with an interest in warships, the Soviet Navy, or maritime aspects of World War II.

Also, and let me preempt mlnp, I’ll scour my office for the specific book on weapon procurement that covers this, the Soviets’ chances were greatly aided by the USN’s strategy for the 80’s being, by all accounts, insane and suicidal - because of office politics.

In the New Cold War under Reagan, the USN needed a strategic, nuclear, mission to maintain funding for the surface fleet. At the same time, the Soviets had a new generation of subs and SRBMs that could strike the CONUS from Soviet home waters, or near-home waters in protected bastions, within the range of Soviet air cover and this fit perfectly with the short legs of the Soviet surface fleet. The USN wanted new carriers and cruisers, basically because those were important to career progression. How did they solve all of these problems?

The “solution” was to propose US carrier groups charging headlong into Soviet waters, taking on the entire Soviet fleet, Soviet Naval Aviation, the countless Soviet air force aircraft they were charging into range of, plus coastal anti ship missiles - sinking Soviet SSBNs in the bastions, and then delivering strategic strikes on Arkhangelsk, Murmansk and Leningrad. This was unworkable for more reasons than I can list, but the simplest is that each Soviet airbase could handle many, many, more aircraft than the largest US carrier, and that there were far more airbases than carriers. Also, short range interceptors would make short work of A-6 Intruders and A-7 Corsairs, and there would be more of them, SAMs you get the idea.

Anyways, this “plan” was still enough to secure the budget, so mission accomplished. The top of the USN seems to have understood this, mid-grade officers maybe not so much so when they wargamed it out or went on exercise they developed some wacky poo poo with Tomcats to make it “work”:

Discussion of F-14s in Armageddon posted:

Except for Crazy Bob’s CVW-11, the F-14 Tomcat never trained to use the 6-Phoenix operationally. Most photos of the 6-Phoenix loadout that you find on the interweb were taken of aircraft flying from land bases or during the first fleet qualification trials back in 1972. Slamming a fully loaded 50,000lb & 140kt monster into the deck of a carrier was found to be unpractical since fuel levels had to be dangerously low for it to be safe. In fact, even the 4-Phoenix loadout on the F-14 was considered draggy by the pilots and was rarely used.

Another fact of life was that there weren’t enough AIM-54s around to arm all 24/20/14/10 aircraft on a carrier with six AIM-54s each. A carrier would typically carry 96 rounds back in the golden years – sometimes fewer and sometimes more. There were rumors that a carrier (USS John F. Kennedy?) once carried 300 AIM-54s when going north to provoke the Soviets off Kola in the 1980s, but this information has never been confirmed by other (reliable) sources.

So instead of having aircraft flying with unrealistically heavy loadouts, the Command developer has added lighter loadouts that were indeed used operationally. These loadouts offer a number of advantages such as speed and range / endurance. For instance, it was common for F-14s to carry only four missiles on CAP, i.e. 2x AIM-7s and 2x AIM-9s or one AIM-54s, one AIM-7 and a pair of AIM-9s. The player will therefore have to consider the trade-offs between endurance and punch as it is done in real life.

F-14s didn’t use the 6-Phoenix loadout operationally, except for a few years (1982-1986) when “Crazy Bob” (aka Capt. R. L. Leuschner) was Commanding Officer of USS Enterprise with Carrier Air Wing Eleven (CVW-11) embarked. He was legendary for elaborate and highly realistic combat-drills.

In early ’80s CVW-11 F-14 Tomcats regularly flew exercise missions with 6-0-2 loads [6xAIM54, 0xAIM7, 2xAIM9]. As combat training exercises, the missiles were all dummies, but at full size and weight. F-14A’s had to be pretty low on the fuel when returning,but since we were simulating real combat scenarios the objective was to exercise the equipment & crew as you would during real combat missions.

As to weight vs. drag issue, the weight always became the real issue since the AIM54 was about 1,000 lbs. The more you load, the higher the fuel burn, less manouverable the plane and lighter the fuel load required for CV landing. A 6-0-2 load would be for a pretty “strategic” mission. The standard “tactical” load was 1-1-1 or 2-2-2 (or some combination of same). Since the F14 was designed with the pallet system, the pallets did not create much aerodynamic issues for the F14. You can not compare the pallet issue with other aircraft though as no other fighter was designed to use the pallets… no other fighter used the AIM-54 either.
CVW-11/BG-F was the first battle group to actually count the weapons used during OpEval exercises, probability-of-kill (PK) for all missile shots [both surface-to-air and air-to-air] and realistic “turnaround” times for returning planes to be used again [required actual downloading of weapons and uploading of new (different) weapons]. We were even trying to simulate missile time-of-flight to impact. Plus a whole host of other stuff was just “swag’d” before then. CVBG magazine mix was significantly changed when the pentagon planners started to see actual weapon use levels.

The more Phoenix one carried, the more “strategic” the mission… and the less manouverability/speed required. When carrying a lot of AIM-54’s, you’re going after bombers so range is more important to start with. Therefore, the range reduction was “worse” but could be countered with effective tanker practices. It became pretty much SOP for CVW-11 F-14s to operate 1,000 nm missions with 6-0-2 loads. Big headache for the Hummer Moles (E-2C Hawkeye radar operators) [who had to coordinate all the real-time support for such missions] and I don’t want to know what the “lucky” guys who flew them were thinking.

There are many sea-tales about Capt. Bob, most of which are based in significant fact. Yes, he had a hand in the “realism” but CVW-11’s “Burner Bob” Hickey was the one who started the counting of actual weapons used. When compared to what the ship’s magazines stored, the discrepancies were “enlightening” to say the least. Once the ball got rolling, we kept getting more and more “realistic.” SecNav Lehman flew aboard once during OpEval and the Hummer’s reply to his check-in was “turn right 40 degrees, descend & maintain XXXXX, welcome to the Big-E’s world Navy-1, by the way… you’re dead.” I kept the tape of that for almost 6 months.

Lehman was a USN Reserve A-6 Bomber-Navigator flying during his “active duty assignment.” They did not do ANY of the appropriate “friendly ID” things they were supposed to do so… they became just one of the 486 “enemy” targets shot down that day [Orange Forces launched 485 planes so we were pretty busy and he just got caught up in all the missile firings]. He was just a bit “upset” and I guess his pilot (supposedly that squadron’s “top hook”) making 4 bolters before successfully trapping aboard Big-E didn’t help his attitude [the square island makes for an ugly “burble” behind the ship]. IIRC, it was Leuschner who squeezed him into the back-end of an E-2C sitting on the flight deck (only working CIC available on the ship due to simulated “battle damage”) to show him the progress of the “war.” His spirits were much improved by the time he met us after we landed some 4+ hours later. Improved even more the next day as he got to watch/listen to the early morning 900+nm 45-aircraft “Alpha Strike” on NAS Miramar, NAS North Island, and NALF San Clemente (the “orange force” airfields). So much so he had Orange Forces “stand down” for the day [unheard of in exercises] since they supposedly had no useable runways anymore. That worked out much better than it was planned. That was but one day. OpEval lasted 3 full weeks.

Yes, the USN officer who actually believed it was possible was called Crazy Bob.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Comrade Koba posted:

cool that there’s no less than three of that dumb totenkopf morale patch in this picture and two of them are on the same guy, lol

*Totenkopf morale patch bearing the insignia of Hitler's personal bodyguards and celebrating the Holocaust, supplied by R3ich.ua / silly subculture emblem worn ironically to scare the Russians

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

*Totenkopf morale patch bearing the insignia of Hitler's personal bodyguards and celebrating the Holocaust, supplied by R3ich.ua / silly subculture emblem worn ironically to scare the Russians

there’s this weird but consistent modern liberal tendency to have a sort of negative international solidarity: right wingers in the liberal’s own country are, of course, fascists. but right wingers in other countries, even the ones doing literal hitler salutes, are imagined to be friends of liberal values.

We must depose Evo Morales to defend the environment and indigenous rights. Lula is a threat to the rule of law in Brazil. In Ukraine, these guys with various SS patches are defending gay and trans rights from Russian assault. It’s the case outside the United States as well - Hong Kong protestors supporting Trump, Ted Cruz, and various American alt rights figures, and British liberals aligning with the international evangelical movement to “defend womanhood.”

obviously this all makes material, economic logic. But liberals don’t like to put it that way. instead, international support for far right forces is invariably couched in some sort of high minded liberal value

Best Friends has issued a correction as of 18:27 on Jan 9, 2023

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Best Friends posted:

there’s this weird but consistent modern liberal tendency to have a sort of negative international solidarity: right wingers in the liberal’s own country are, of course, fascists. but right wingers in other countries, even the ones doing literal hitler salutes, are imagined to be friends of liberal values.

We must depose Evo Morales to defend the environment and indigenous rights. Lula is a threat to the rule of law in Brazil. In Ukraine, these guys with various SS patches are defending gay and trans rights from Russian assault. It’s the case outside the United States as well - Hong Kong protestors supporting Trump, Ted Cruz, and various American alt rights figures, and British liberals aligning with the international evangelical movement to “defend womanhood.”

liberals do not thinks domestic right wingers are fascists

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011
I'm reading an interesting book I got for Christmas, some ye olde history book about the Soviet Union wrote in the 70s. The first chapter is mostly about the revolts leading up to the revolution, going just short of a 100 years back.

What's interesting about it is the framing. On one side, you had the Occidentalists and, on the other, the Slavophiles. The first see traditional slavic caracteristics like religion, folk culture, tradtitional order and autocracy as chains binding the Empire's true potential. The latter sees it as a bulwark against moral corruption and a source of rejuvenation to steer the empire away from stagnation.

So yeah, glad to see the ideologies did not change that much in 200 years. The USSR looks like a parenthesis in restrospect.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Lostconfused posted:

“I’ve been uber impressed at how the country has been able to keep the system running,” Denys Sakva, energy analyst at Kyiv-based Dragon Capital, an investment management company, said.

uh huh

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Futanari Damacy posted:

Cookie Cutter posted:

I think these are some of the random cheap pieces of crap the Nazis were mass producing to save money right before they were defeated, so your intuition is correct

Fun fact about the volkssturm guns, the German MIC didn't want anything to do with them because they thought that sticking a poo gun in the hands of random civilians was a waste of resources that could be otherwise used to arm actual troops with actual guns. So the party created what was effectively a parallel procurement system where the guns were centrally designed, then the plans sent out to local cottage workshops that were otherwise too small/not technically proficient enough to participate in the normal production stream. They were designed to be produced with as little machinery as possible, iirc barrels would be sent out by the crate to your local toaster factory or whatever and they would do the rest.

The big idea was you would use your lovely carbine + indomitable will to kill Russians and take their actual real guns. The parallels to the rocket armed technicals and stuff are startling, especially when you consider that none of this achieved anything at all besides getting a bunch of civilians killed for the vibes.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/OranjeSwaeltjie/status/1611278083205771265

the Homer begging Mao to come back picture but its Robert Mugabe

https://twitter.com/OranjeSwaeltjie/status/1612038075177369600

lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
any good reading on the volksturm?

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

euphronius posted:

liberals do not thinks domestic right wingers are fascists

They look at it like cops, a few bad eggs that can be shamed, cowed, or rehabilitated into god loving american republicans.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Best Friends posted:

obviously this all makes material, economic logic. But liberals don’t like to put it that way. instead, international support for far right forces is invariably couched in some sort of high minded liberal value

Right now the AOC-adjacent seem to be strongly in support of Lula and against the riots but I'm sure it's a matter of time till they get new marching orders from corporate.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Uk is thinking about sending 10 challenger 2 tanks, which sounds like a lot more trouble than its worth

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Just caught an American ABC newscast and they were likening the Brazilian riots to the capitol riots.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/CondoleezzaRice/status/1612510272245354497?s=20

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

any good reading on the volksturm?

this thread, march-april of last year :smuggo:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's another one of those damning with praise pieces, pretty sure the Russians and Ukrainians commentators already took their shot at it since it's a few days old. I guess she is just trying to drum up more engagement and clicks.

quote:

Vladimir Putin remains fully committed to bringing all of Ukraine back under Russian control or — failing that — destroying it as a viable country. He believes it is his historical destiny — his messianic mission — to reestablish the Russian Empire and, as Zbigniew Brzezinski observed years ago, there can be no Russian Empire without Ukraine.

Both of us have dealt with Putin on a number of occasions, and we are convinced he believes time is on his side: that he can wear down the Ukrainians and that U.S. and European unity and support for Ukraine will eventually erode and fracture. To be sure, the Russian economy and people will suffer as the war continues, but Russians have endured far worse.

For Putin, defeat is not an option. He cannot cede to Ukraine the four eastern provinces he has declared part of Russia. If he cannot be militarily successful this year, he must retain control of positions in eastern and southern Ukraine that provide future jumping-off points for renewed offensives to take the rest of Ukraine’s Black Sea coast, control the entire Donbas region and then move west. Eight years separated Russia’s seizure of Crimea and its invasion nearly a year ago. Count on Putin to be patient to achieve his destiny.

Meanwhile, although Ukraine’s response to the invasion has been heroic and its military has performed brilliantly, the country’s economy is in a shambles, millions of its people have fled, its infrastructure is being destroyed, and much of its mineral wealth, industrial capacity and considerable agricultural land are under Russian control. Ukraine’s military capability and economy are now dependent almost entirely on lifelines from the West — primarily, the United States. Absent another major Ukrainian breakthrough and success against Russian forces, Western pressures on Ukraine to negotiate a cease-fire will grow as months of military stalemate pass. Under current circumstances, any negotiated cease-fire would leave Russian forces in a strong position to resume their invasion whenever they are ready. That is unacceptable.

The only way to avoid such a scenario is for the United States and its allies to urgently provide Ukraine with a dramatic increase in military supplies and capability — sufficient to deter a renewed Russian offensive and to enable Ukraine to push back Russian forces in the east and south. Congress has provided enough money to pay for such reinforcement; what is needed now are decisions by the United States and its allies to provide the Ukrainians the additional military equipment they need — above all, mobile armor. The U.S. agreement Thursday to provide Bradley Fighting Vehicles is commendable, if overdue. Because there are serious logistical challenges associated with sending American Abrams heavy tanks, Germany and other allies should fill this need. NATO members also should provide the Ukrainians with longer-range missiles, advanced drones, significant ammunition stocks (including artillery shells), more reconnaissance and surveillance capability, and other equipment. These capabilities are needed in weeks, not months.

Increasingly, members of Congress and others in our public discourse ask, “Why should we care? This is not our fight.” But the United States has learned the hard way — in 1914, 1941 and 2001 — that unprovoked aggression and attacks on the rule of law and the international order cannot be ignored. Eventually, our security was threatened and we were pulled into conflict. This time, the economies of the world — ours included — are already seeing the inflationary impact and the drag on growth caused by Putin’s single-minded aggression. It is better to stop him now, before more is demanded of the United States and NATO as a whole. We have a determined partner in Ukraine that is willing to bear the consequences of war so that we do not have to do so ourselves in the future.

President Volodymyr Zelensky’s speech before Congress last month reminded us of Winston Churchill’s plea in February 1941: “Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.” We agree with the Biden administration’s determination to avoid direct confrontation with Russia. However, an emboldened Putin might not give us that choice. The way to avoid confrontation with Russia in the future is to help Ukraine push back the invader now. That is the lesson of history that should guide us, and it lends urgency to the actions that must be taken — before it is too late.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

there’s a defense conference in sweden going on at the moment. today the chief researcher of the national defense research institute got up on stage and straight up decreed that peaceful coexistence with russia is and will always be impossible no matter the circumstances.

extremely normal country

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Каргач 🇷🇺⚡️Ꙃ posted:

(from t.me/karga4/246737, via tgsa)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Soledar getting more and more attention because I guess Bakhmut/Artemovsk is still slow going so might as well get hyped over something else

https://twitter.com/rybar_en/status/1612488016219541504

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Increasingly, members of Congress and others in our public discourse ask, “Why should we care? This is not our fight.” But the United States has learned the hard way — in 1914, 1941 and 2001 — that unprovoked aggression and attacks on the rule of law and the international order cannot be ignored. Eventually, our security was threatened and we were pulled into conflict.

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Lostconfused posted:

Soledar getting more and more attention because I guess Bakhmut/Artemovsk is still slow going so might as well get hyped over something else

https://twitter.com/rybar_en/status/1612488016219541504

I think the reason people are getting "excited" about Russian advances in Soledar is because 1) it happened very quickly compared to what else is going on in the area and 2) if they can drive the Ukrainians out of that town and have similar success on the south side of Bakhmut (the Russians are also said to be moving up towards Klishchiivka in the direction of Ivanivske) it would put the Ukrainian positions in Bakhmut under threat of encirclement and those positions may become untenable for Ukraine to maintain at that point. According to some simply capturing Soledar may have this impact without even needing to make much progress on the other side of the city.

The Ukrainian twitter observers have been calling for an emergency counter-offensive to try and relieve what looks like a really bad situation for their forces in the area so there may be some big movements to come in the next few days.

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 19:57 on Jan 9, 2023