Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Sirotan posted:

Do you know a specific model that does this? I'm just trying to figure out what this would be called, when I search for anything with "gap" or "covers" it just gives me the aftermarket filler strip type.

I got these https://a.co/d/bnspGo1 and they're nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Mine is a bosch 800 induction.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Infinotize posted:

Mine is a bosch 800 induction.

Oh I see. TIL, thanks!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Do you know a specific model that does this? I'm just trying to figure out what this would be called, when I search for anything with "gap" or "covers" it just gives me the aftermarket filler strip type.

We had a GE that was like this, someone called it counter overlap in a review but it's not something that was listed in the specs. These search terms might help:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sli...48.952392578125

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BonerGhost posted:

We had a GE that was like this, someone called it counter overlap in a review but it's not something that was listed in the specs. These search terms might help:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sli...48.952392578125

Thank you this is super helpful.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I have a ~6 year old house with concrete floors. They're real nice but in the past year I've noticed a lot of new cracks, and every place I see a new crack, I also notice an indentation or change in level of the floor near that spot. I'm pretty sure those changes in level are new. It's kinda freaking me out and making me wonder if it's a foundation issue!

What kind of person do I call to come and take a look at this? Flooring person? Foundation person? This is in Austin in case anyone happens to know someone specific to recommend.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Your house is settling. How big are these cracks? Go measure the biggest ones. Width and deflection depth from the highest to lowest points. You might need to lay a ruler flat on the high side to get an idea.

Odds are its purely cosmetic. Show us a picture of the absolute worst one.

Otherwise, call a foundation company. They will eyeball it. Don't do ANY major renovation based on their eyeballing it - require an engineer's stamped plans to move forward. Get 3 quotes.

Your house isn't falling on you.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Your house is settling. How big are these cracks? Go measure the biggest ones. Width and deflection depth from the highest to lowest points. You might need to lay a ruler flat on the high side to get an idea.

Odds are its purely cosmetic. Show us a picture of the absolute worst one.

Otherwise, call a foundation company. They will eyeball it. Don't do ANY major renovation based on their eyeballing it - require an engineer's stamped plans to move forward. Get 3 quotes.

Your house isn't falling on you.

Thanks, this is already a relief to hear. The biggest ones are probably still less than a millimeter wide. I've attached a picture of one of the widest ones, it's still pretty small (but runs clear across the kitchen). I've noticed that one widen over time as well.

I might call a foundation company just to get a professional's eyes on it in person, but I feel a lot better already, thank you!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

brugroffil posted:

Any drawbacks to slide-in style ranges?

I assume you're referring to slide in vs freestanding ranges. I don't think anyone else read the question that way.

Do you have a freestanding range now? The main drawback can be if you don't have a continuous backsplash, you'll have a gap behind the range. I just made this swap (freestanding to slide-in) in my place and now I have a ugly unfinished 4" strip behind my range. I intend to replace the cabinets and countertops in a year or two anyway so this is part of that remodel.

The other main difference in electric ranges is having the controls on the front vs the back panel. I prefer the front, and since this is an induction range they're very safe since none of the burners do anything without a pan. So a child can't make it hot by playing and it won't turn on if a houseguest leans against it. It's a lot nicer to control without reaching over the cooking foods in my experience.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

giogadi posted:

Thanks, this is already a relief to hear. The biggest ones are probably still less than a millimeter wide. I've attached a picture of one of the widest ones, it's still pretty small (but runs clear across the kitchen). I've noticed that one widen over time as well.

I might call a foundation company just to get a professional's eyes on it in person, but I feel a lot better already, thank you!

Put a straight edge on it and see what the elevation change may be. Do you know what kind of soil is predominantly in your area? It could be experiencing expansion or contraction if it's getting moisture or drying up. If you can keep to relatively stable moisture content that can stem the problems.

For comparison I have really terrible slabs in Colorado, the cracks are 1-5mm wide and the change in elevation is 2-8cm in 2 meters. So you're not doing too bad!

Concrete cracks, that's one of life's guarantees. It shrinks as it cures and builds up tension that cracks unpredictably. Little ones without elevation change are nothing to worry about. The aggregate below is still locked together and will maintain integrity.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

StormDrain posted:

For comparison I have really terrible slabs in Colorado, the cracks are 1-5mm wide and the change in elevation is 2-8cm in 2 meters.

Uh what the gently caress, that's a huge height discrepancy?!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

giogadi posted:

Looks fine to me, a professional computer toucher. I would just keep an eye on it over time. Especially elevation changes and seasonality. Buy a long (as tall as you or longer) level from harbor freight to use as your straight edge.

Your house is settling and whomever built it should have known that and put appropriate flooring down to hide those hairline cracks.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Did you buy this house new and if so would the builder take a look at it?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Did you buy this house new and if so would the builder take a look at it?

No, I’m not the original owner. I do know who the builder is and have emailed them questions before though

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Johnny Truant posted:

Uh what the gently caress, that's a huge height discrepancy?!

Hey feel free to come remove the concrete, add a sump system and pour a new slab if you want!

I had two foundation companies by to review a wall caving in. One of them took measurements along the first floor of my house and it was surprisingly very flat. Of 12-15 points around the perimeter only two deviated by about a quarter inch. It's just the floating basement slab and garage slab that are wavy. They both peak in the middle.

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 8, 2023

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

H110Hawk posted:

Your house is settling and whomever built it should have known that and put appropriate flooring down to hide those hairline cracks.
This is one of the biggest issues I have with concrete floors, aside from them being loud af. Probably everyone's slab has cracks in it, but for most people they are covered with wood/carpet/tile and nobody ever sees or worries about the cracks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

giogadi posted:

They will quote you $150k in work regardless of what the problem is, leaving you with an extremely slick novel-sized catalog of their services and an offer to save 20% if you sign off on the work within 48 hours. Call a structural engineer instead.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

giogadi posted:

No, I’m not the original owner. I do know who the builder is and have emailed them questions before though

You're worried about nothing. If you can start fitting a finger in there call an engineer. Don't actually fit your finger in there. It's distressing to see the first one but think about how much the earth deflects when you drive a car on it after it rains. Now put a house on it.

I suggest a rug, tile, lvp, hardwood, basically anything. You're going to get 1 of those cracks per room over the next decade.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Is there epoxy flexible enough to tolerate that kind of deflection and/or would it just poison you if you put it inside your house?

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

BonerGhost posted:

Is there epoxy flexible enough to tolerate that kind of deflection and/or would it just poison you if you put it inside your house?

Yeah but it isn't going to finish the same as the concrete, and there's no guarantee it doesn't crack elsewhere.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BonerGhost posted:

My floor is epoxy painted and looks fine, although it had 20 years to settle beforehand.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Ugh I just spent $1000 on switches and plugs. drat house.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mustache Ride posted:

Ugh I just spent $1000 on switches and plugs. drat house.
Grover rereg spotted.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Getting ready to repaint an upstairs room with a fairly high ceiling, and I want to give the walls a quick TSP cleaning first. How bad of an idea would it be to apply TSP with a paint roller on a long stick? I figure cover all exposed skin, wear goggles, and roll it slowly and I should be safe? I imagine that I can buy a pad brush with the same type of screw-on handle as a paint roller, but I didn't think of it while I was at the store today and I won't be able to make it back there for a couple of days.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Applying TSP is not the same thing as cleaning. It's function is to loosen dirt. It and the dirt then needs to be wiped/scrubbed off.

Rolling it on will just get your walls wet.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ja one way or another you are wiping the TSP down with rags/old towels

You can wrap a towel around the head of a shop broom & use that

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Slugworth posted:

Grover rereg spotted.

No that's not my probably. My problem is home assistant will be the death of me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

PainterofCrap posted:

Ja one way or another you are wiping the TSP down with rags/old towels

You can wrap a towel around the head of a shop broom & use that

Yeah I am mostly just trying to avoid having to repeatedly carry a bucket of liquid up and down a ladder. I might have time for a hardware store run today after all, if I can't find a screw-on brush like that I'm sure I can find a shop broom. Thanks for the idea!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ask me about paying a plumber $350 to pull a dildo out of the u-bend of the toilet.

before you ask:

- it's not mine
- it's been there at least two years since i bought the house, in theory.\
- i had no idea it was there and somehow the toilet was still draining well enough to not be noticable until today

current theories:
- previous owner's wife flushed many tampons and generally had bad toilet etiquette
- previous owner did it deliberately to gently caress (hah) me over

home ownership is a joy, every day.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Deviant posted:

Ask me about paying a plumber $350 to pull a dildo out of the u-bend of the toilet.

before you ask:

- it's not mine
- i had no idea it was there and somehow the toilet was still draining well enough to not be noticable until today

current theories:
- previous owner's wife flushed many tampons and generally had bad toilet etiquette

The plumber 100 percent believes it to be your dildo, and has already relayed that version of the story to several people.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Did you get to keep it or at least take a picture

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Slugworth posted:

The plumber 100 percent believes it to be your dildo, and has already relayed that version of the story to several people.

I know. :(. I was out of town all weekend at Magfest with a provable alibi though.

slave to my cravings posted:

Did you get to keep it or at least take a picture

I took a picture but it has gone to the trash. I'll post it spoiled in a little bit

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

I found a penis pump in the basement ceiling in one house I moved into. Found a bunch of 15 year old discarded wine cooler bottles in the basement ceiling in my current house, presumably from the previous owners teenagers.

I guess the lesson is people like to hide poo poo in the basement ceiling.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I found a manila envelope full of a bunch of papers from the PO trying to get marijuana possession and solicitation charges expunged

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I guess the lesson is people like to hide poo poo in the basement ceiling.

Can confirm. Lived in a house as a teenager with a drop ceiling in the basement. Everything was hidden up there.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Deviant posted:

before you ask:

- it's not mine

current theories:

username/post combo

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

So it was $285 and I tipped him 50 bucks cash for services rendered.

and so far the best burn i have received is "that can't be yours, bad dragon doesn't make that shape" :vince:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Wonder if the color is acquired

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Wonder if the color is acquired

it absolutely looked like it's been there a while.

gotta have been there since before i bought the place in oct 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Slugworth posted:

It's never "your" dildo. It's always "the" dildo.