Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Good point. Oh man, I remember SED. Sucks it never went anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

How many weeks before the super bowl do the big deals start hitting?

Deals usually get worse leading up to the Superbowl and improve afterwards.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Tacier posted:

Deals usually get worse leading up to the Superbowl and improve afterwards.

Good to know. I’m looking to snag a 48” LG C2, and saw it just went on sale at Best Buy for $1049. I wasn’t sure if that’s as good as it will get near term or if I should wait until after the Super Bowl.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Falco posted:

Good to know. I’m looking to snag a 48” LG C2, and saw it just went on sale at Best Buy for $1049. I wasn’t sure if that’s as good as it will get near term or if I should wait until after the Super Bowl.

Not a terrible deal, but I’d be surprised if we didn’t see that TV go for under $900 before summer.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I just know that the 42" I snagged for a monitor is back up to $999 from the $799 low I got it from.

Post black Friday/pre Christmas seemed like it was the most recent low spots for these TVs, they probably won't drop much again until the C3 series is due to come out.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good deal?

77" LG C2 OLED77C2PUA 4K OLED TV (2022) $2197 + free s/h

20% off with code: NEWYEARTWENTY

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325143530492

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Falco posted:

I think it was a grand back on labor Day/black Friday.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i guess i have a theoretical question. i already struggle to see the difference between blu-ray and 4k uhd. and i cannot imagine ever seeing the difference between 4k uhd and whatever comes next--8k, i guess.

my eyes are...not great, so i know that's the primary reason why. but to those that can spot a difference, how big is it exactly? and what about the picture is different? clarity? brightness? something else? and for those that can see the difference, have you witnessed 8k? do you see the difference between it and 4k uhd?

i'm trying to figure out when we'll get to the point where the picture is as good as it can get. there has to be some level of resolution that is perfectly clear for all humans, right? same goes for brightness, clarity, etc. and like, i can't help but think we're close. it's my own prejudice but i can't help but think 4k uhd is going to be the end of the line for most. but what do you think? or do you think 8k in like five years will be the peak for the future? do you think 16k or whatever comes after 8k will be that much more?

just trying to understand something i can't understand.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

Good deal?

They also have the C2 65” for 14xx using the same code. I got one shipped for 15xx with taxes.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

i guess i have a theoretical question. i already struggle to see the difference between blu-ray and 4k uhd. and i cannot imagine ever seeing the difference between 4k uhd and whatever comes next--8k, i guess.

my eyes are...not great, so i know that's the primary reason why. but to those that can spot a difference, how big is it exactly? and what about the picture is different? clarity? brightness? something else? and for those that can see the difference, have you witnessed 8k? do you see the difference between it and 4k uhd?

i'm trying to figure out when we'll get to the point where the picture is as good as it can get. there has to be some level of resolution that is perfectly clear for all humans, right? same goes for brightness, clarity, etc. and like, i can't help but think we're close. it's my own prejudice but i can't help but think 4k uhd is going to be the end of the line for most. but what do you think? or do you think 8k in like five years will be the peak for the future? do you think 16k or whatever comes after 8k will be that much more?

It's literally just a difference in resolution. The pixels are smaller. Like swapping out a 1920x1080 computer monitor with a 3840x2160 monitor of the same size. The individual pixels are smaller and harder to notice. Any other changes to how the image looks like HDR and color have nothing to do with it being 4K. For viewing at couch distances 4k is probably already overkill for most content. But TV manufacturers really, really want people to keep upgrading their TVs.

Now for a screen you hold closer to your face like a phone or a computer monitor the higher pixel density can still be a noticeable improvement. But even then there will eventually be a point of diminishing returns.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 10, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

It's literally just a difference in resolution. The pixels are smaller. Like swapping out a 1920x1080p computer monitor with a 3840x2160 monitor. The individual pixels are smaller and harder to notice. Any other changes to how the image looks like HDR and color have nothing to do with it being 4K. For viewing at couch distances 4k is probably already overkill for most content. But TV manufacturers really, really want people to keep upgrading their TVs.

Now for a screen you hold closer to your face like a phone or a computer monitor the higher pixel density can still be a noticeable improvement. But even then there will eventually be a point of diminishing returns.

I figured the bitrates would at least be better; it would help reduce motion artifiacting during scenes with heavy motion, like the confetti scene in Redline after Sonoshi wins the qualifying race. Even on BluRay it's not perfect

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

abelwingnut posted:

Obviously my personal opinion, but I don't think the jump from 1080 to 4K was as much of a wow as SD to HD. But 8K did make me say "wow" again.

That being said, just a well mastered 1080p movie is good enough for me.

I also haven't been wowed by any HDR content.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Part of resolution getting better is it enables larger screens while maintaining the same “effective” resolution, right? I’m in the same boat as not really caring about resolution itself but if it gets me bigger screens I’m all for it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

I figured the bitrates would at least be better; it would help reduce motion artifiacting during scenes with heavy motion, like the confetti scene in Redline after Sonoshi wins the qualifying race. Even on BluRay it's not perfect

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, wouldn't the bit rate be governed by the specifications of the media and not the resolution of the screen? Ultra HD Blu-rays of a given size can still have multiple different bit rates.

Wikipedia posted:

The specification allows for three disc capacities, each with its own data rate: 50 GB at 72 or 92 Mbit/s, and 66 GB and 100 GB at 92, 123, or 144 Mbit/s.
Source

Streaming services also catch a lot of flak for technically offering 4k but at a much lower bit rate which causes problems like what you described.

Netflix cuts 4K bitrate in half, promises same quality 4K video

Edit: Ah, wait. I re-read the original question and they were asking specifically about differences in disc formats like blu-ray and 4k uhd. But then when they mentioned 8k I started thinking in terms of TV resolutions since this is the HDTV thread. So you're right, newer disc standards could have improved bit rate in addition to higher resolutions.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 10, 2023

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean, wouldn't the bit rate be governed by the specifications of the media and not the resolution of the screen? Ultra HD Blu-rays of a given size can still have multiple different bit rates.

Source

Streaming services also catch a lot of flak for technically offering 4k but at a much lower bit rate which causes problems like what you described.

Netflix cuts 4K bitrate in half, promises same quality 4K video

I think that entire thing is a problem; "1080p" six or seven years ago is what 720p is now, in terms of actual bitrate. But then you have new video codecs like AV6 that are more efficient at compression than the older stuff, so you have lower bitrates than older codecs but equal visual fidelity, and, it's just... gently caress.

But in this case I'm thinking of physical disc media specifically. So if BluRay (1080) and uhd (4k) use the same codec, then the latter should have a higher bitrate, right? Less compression, more information due to the higher resolution spec?

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 10, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

I think that entire thing is a problem; "1080p" six or seven years ago is what 720p is now, in terms of actual bitrate. But then you have new video codecs like AV6 that are more efficient at compression than the older stuff, so you have lower bitrates than older codecs but equal visual fidelity, and, it's just... gently caress.

But in this case I'm thinking of physical disc media specifically. So if BluRay (1080) and uhd (4k) use the same codec, then the latter should have a higher bitrate, right? Less compression, more information due to the higher resolution spec?

If we're talking uncompressed video then the math works out like this:

24-bit, 1080p @ 60 fps: 24 × 1920 × 1080 × 60 = 2.98 Gbit/s
24-bit, 4K UHD @ 60 fps: 24 × 3840 × 2160 × 60 = 11.9 Gbit/s.

But notice those rates are measured in gigabits, not megabits like physical disc standards. That's because video in the consumer space is always encoded/compressed somehow and there are lots of different ways to do that which is when the whole thing turns into a headache, like you said.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 10, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

OP, if you don't understand or can't tell the difference between all these formats then thank God for your normal brain and enjoy your movies.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I mean, it all depends on what's on the screen. A solid color is going to compress to the same size no matter the resolution.

Blu-ray is a mixed bag when it comes to quality. Early releases still used MPEG2 which, well, sucks. So, a re-release from the same master could look better if it switches from MPEG2 to AVC or VC1. Encoders have also gotten better over the years as well. All UHDs use HEVC, so it's an even better codec still.

8k is only ever going to become something that households have if they eventually get to the point where the majority of TVs are 8k, but I'm not convinced that's going to happen the same way as it did with 4k. Content is going to be a big issue there, way bigger than it was for 4k. 35mm film, though it doesn't actually HAVE resolution due to it being an analog format, has minimal to no gains (depending on film stock) at resolutions higher than 4k. 70mm film can benefit from 8k and you'll often see restorations that involve 65mm or 70mm footage to have those scans done at 8k before being downsampled. Then you have all the digitally captured stuff which is only now getting to the 6.5k point in some niche cases (3.5k is still really most common.) That's never getting to a higher resolution.

So, you are looking at specially produced 8k content which is neat for special events and such, but there's just no real production pipeline for mainstream content and I don't see it happening anytime soon.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

McCracAttack posted:

OP, if you don't understand or can't tell the difference between all these formats then thank God for your normal brain and enjoy your movies.

yea, i got lost in the weeds of the details in the responses, and i think that's probably for the best. like i said, the quality of each frame looks great on 4k or blu ray or what not. the only thing i really notice at this point is the soap opera effect, which is easy enough to turn off.

that said, even with that motion nonsense off, my tv still doesn't feel quite as fluid as a film in a theater. no idea why, but it still doesn't have that natural fluidity.

but i imagine there's more going on there with just projector vs tv and actual film vs digital. maybe it's like analog vs digital music where the crudeness of the analog creates a pleasant distortion? maybe the physical frames in the reels and the fact they're projected creates a 'pleasant visual distortion' in the motion and it's just what we've come to like?

who knows.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

abelwingnut posted:

that said, even with that motion nonsense off, my tv still doesn't feel quite as fluid as a film in a theater. no idea why, but it still doesn't have that natural fluidity.

There are a lot of factors here but it basically comes down to projectors and LCD TVs being two different kinds of tech. Then you get into trying to display a movie filmed at 24 frames per second on a TV that refreshes it's screen 60 times per second, 3:2 pull-down, black frame insertion, and BOOM your head hurts again.

Newer TVs do have some "gentle" motion smoothing options that try to address this without overshooting into the soap opera effect which is just the TV trying to generate new frames all on it's own.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

There are a lot of factors here but it basically comes down to projectors and LCD TVs being two different kinds of tech. Then you get into trying to display a movie filmed at 24 frames per second on a TV that refreshes it's screen 60 times per second, 3:2 pull-down, black frame insertion, and BOOM your head hurts again.

Newer TVs do have some "gentle" motion smoothing options that try to address this without overshooting into the soap opera effect which is just the TV trying to generate new frames all on it's own.

Modern tvs with hdmi 2 and 2.1 will also support variable frame rate, and can do 48hz which goes into 24 for film nicely

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Nearly all modern TVs can detect 24fps in 60hz signals and do 5:5 at 120hz.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

McCracAttack posted:

hmm. yea, i have the new version of the frame, which i’m fairly sure is refreshing at 120hz? i don’t know how to check that exactly? in which case, yea, it would just do the five frames thing.

no idea what kind of hdmi cables i have, though. didn’t think those would make a difference for fps.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

65" C2 $1438 shipped with code - on BuyDig's eBay store

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I bought the 2022 Samsung The Frame and..it feels like every single aspect of it is designed to disrupt and hinder my very simple usage patterns for TV. Pick a source, enjoy the video and audio coming from the source. The end.

First is that there is no button I can hit on the remote to bring up all the connected sources. There are these nightmarish Media and Gaming menus which are full of garbage and put my sources as far away as possible from the default cursor position. I made the mistake of enabling some kind of smart bullshit and it immediately flooded these pages with show suggestions, Jack Ryan and various other things that I want far away from me. I couldn’t find a way to turn off the smart setting I turned on—and I googled and pored over every menu option looking for it. Turning off wi-fi helped but many placeholders are still there, begging me to turn wi-fi back on like encircling jackals.

Turning off Game Mode also helped. A gamer’s greatest desire according to Samsung is to have their eyes blasted with the brightest possible setting the moment they switch sources to their PS4. Also, gaming is better when the screen is surrounded with purple hexagons indicating that the FASTEST RESPONSE TIME has been selected.

I saw the first line of the OP. Apparently the Proscan dumb HDTV I got in 2016 was the last of a dying breed. I am sad that it just died on me. Is there any definitive listing at least of which TV software is least bad? Hell are people jailbreaking these things and unfucking them?

Is there no market for people who don’t want a bunch of buttons for streaming services they don’t subscribe to on the remote, who don’t want loving Jack Ryan shoved down their throats?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

brap posted:

I bought the 2022 Samsung The Frame and..it feels like every single aspect of it is designed to disrupt and hinder my very simple usage patterns for TV. Pick a source, enjoy the video and audio coming from the source. The end.

First is that there is no button I can hit on the remote to bring up all the connected sources. There are these nightmarish Media and Gaming menus which are full of garbage and put my sources as far away as possible from the default cursor position. I made the mistake of enabling some kind of smart bullshit and it immediately flooded these pages with show suggestions, Jack Ryan and various other things that I want far away from me. I couldn’t find a way to turn off the smart setting I turned on—and I googled and pored over every menu option looking for it. Turning off wi-fi helped but many placeholders are still there, begging me to turn wi-fi back on like encircling jackals.

Turning off Game Mode also helped. A gamer’s greatest desire according to Samsung is to have their eyes blasted with the brightest possible setting the moment they switch sources to their PS4. Also, gaming is better when the screen is surrounded with purple hexagons indicating that the FASTEST RESPONSE TIME has been selected.

I saw the first line of the OP. Apparently the Proscan dumb HDTV I got in 2016 was the last of a dying breed. I am sad that it just died on me. Is there any definitive listing at least of which TV software is least bad? Hell are people jailbreaking these things and unfucking them?

Is there no market for people who don’t want a bunch of buttons for streaming services they don’t subscribe to on the remote, who don’t want loving Jack Ryan shoved down their throats?

Buy an Apple TV or an Nvidia Shield Pro. I have a Shield and it's great. It runs on Android, so I can put basically any Android app on it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Shield is great but its hard to recommend at this stage in the game. Surely theres something more cost effective that can take its place?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm quite happy with the newest gen chromecast with android TV. Cheap, I like the interface, and the performance is better than some of the low end built-in samsung smart tv software.

A shield pro would be cool but as soon as I buy one they're going to announce they're no longer supported since they're several years old.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don’t think the external streamer stuff is going to address the issues that they presented about being spammed for stuff and having a cluttered UI with empty broken boxes if wi-fi is disabled with no easy way to select an input.

But that’s Samsung software for you and Samsung software is one of the big reasons why their TVs don’t get recommended here.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Google TVs as of 2021 have "Basic Mode" available which turns your set into a dumb tv, if you feel like replacing your expensive fancy one

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

GreenNight posted:

Good deal?

Looks like most models are out of stock, but Buydig has some refurbished models. Are the refurbs worth buying from Buydig? I’m now waffling between the refurb 48” from Buydig for just shy of $800 or buying new from Costco that extends the warranty to 5yrs for $1050. If the refurbs are solid, that’s quite the cost savings.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

qbert posted:

Buy an Apple TV or an Nvidia Shield Pro. I have a Shield and it's great. It runs on Android, so I can put basically any Android app on it.

I do love my Apple TV, it’s just the UI of my HDTV sitting between me and the Apple TV that’s been disappointing to me.

morestuff posted:

Google TVs as of 2021 have "Basic Mode" available which turns your set into a dumb tv, if you feel like replacing your expensive fancy one

This sounds good. I am still in the return period so I’ll look more closely at that.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

brap posted:

I do love my Apple TV, it’s just the UI of my HDTV sitting between me and the Apple TV that’s been disappointing to me.

This sounds good. I am still in the return period so I’ll look more closely at that.

If you already have an AppleTV, then how much are you interacting with your TV's "smart" features and its UI? I basically never go into the WebOS screens on my LG. OLED.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Switching from the Apple TV to game consoles etc requires trudging through the TV’s menus to select the desired source. The Samsung Frame remote does not have a button that simply brings up a list of sources and lets you pick one. At least, I couldn’t get that to happen by trying out all the remote’s buttons or reading the manual. I find it truly insane.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You might want to mess around with the CEC settings, that way it auto-selects the input when you turn the game system on. Would at least simplify part of it

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

morestuff posted:

You might want to mess around with the CEC settings, that way it auto-selects the input when you turn the game system on. Would at least simplify part of it

lol CEC is always a hoot.

1. Turn on Apple TV.
2. TV turns on but I was using the PS5 last time.
3. TV switches to Apple TV.
4. PS5 has now woken up because the HDMI port it was plugged into had power for a brief moment.
5. PS5 fights Apple TV for control of the TV.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Works perfectly for me but I’m not running anything more complicated than a TV and a PS5

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
Needing to do anything more than press 2 buttons on the remote to manually change the source is wild.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

brap posted:

Switching from the Apple TV to game consoles etc requires trudging through the TV’s menus to select the desired source. The Samsung Frame remote does not have a button that simply brings up a list of sources and lets you pick one. At least, I couldn’t get that to happen by trying out all the remote’s buttons or reading the manual. I find it truly insane.

I don't own a Samsung TV but I did find this YouTube short that might apply to yours?

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/kkKioqSkdxo

I agree it's more steps than should be necessary to change sources but maybe it's easier than what you're doing currently.

The alternative/more expensive option is to run everything through an AV Receiver and then you never have to switch sources from the Samsung.

qbert fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I'm very tempted to grab that new Samsung OLED , as from all accounts (including rtings) it's by far the best TV around right now, and I've been eyeing up OLEDs for ages, but... The whole Tizen thing really puts me off.

That and the fact that my current 6 year old TV is still more or less good as new, and there's absolutely no way I can justify dropping £1200 on a luxury purchase that only I want.

If my current TV were to mysteriously break, on the other hand...