Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I was thinking about this recently and it's amazing how effective the Cold War was at obliterating any nuance in the perception of communism in the West. Like it's strange that people never stop to reflect on the fact that it has only ever been tested in developing regions such as Russia or China, and that perhaps some of the negatives of the historical record reflect endemic issues in those regions...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

https://twitter.com/yuanyi_z/status/1612410216003289092

bit of a name alert imo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

One of the situations where you can tell which ones didn't contribute much to the quality of a program.

Also lmao https://twitter.com/lydonofficial/status/1612388721654906880

Somehow, having a washed-up Brexiteering bellend singing about Hawaii wouldn't even be close to the worst Irish representation at Eurovision. We've also had a working class turkey puppet TV host in a shopping trolley singing "Irelande Douze Pointe" which failed to even get to the final.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

Somehow, having a washed-up Brexiteering bellend singing about Hawaii wouldn't even be close to the worst Irish representation at Eurovision. We've also had a working class turkey puppet TV host in a shopping trolley singing "Irelande Douze Pointe" which failed to even get to the final.

I also find it funny that even though he was born to Irish parents he used to apparently be furious if you called him Irish and not English, but oh how the chancers change their tune

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

I also find it funny that even though he was born to Irish parents he used to apparently be furious if you called him Irish and not English, but oh how the chancers change their tune

He also doesn't like it when you correctly point out that the Sex Pistols were a manufactured boyband hopping on a fashion trend

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

well, the truth hurts

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Pierce Brosnan already did it

hullo sinn fein dawd speaking

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

E: deleted it, felt like it was written by a 'cromulent fuckcrustable' writer.

I finally got an appointment to see one of the companies the NHS is contracting physiotherapy out to, and they were loving useless.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 9, 2023

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Rarity posted:

Wake me up when FF14 drops another expansion!

Hours late, hate to interrupt your nap, but since that's probably something you actually no joke want you're going to fall foul of what Old Crowley called "the lust of result" which blocks your Will from manifesting. Basically you gotta operate like Zen archery, be aware of the target and then let the arrow do the work. Worth it so you can turn something like this:

josh04 posted:

Fortunately parliament is a total death trap. Black Rod will easily be able to expell any number of raiders with a series of home-alone-inspired booby traps. They'll be finding smoked gammons in the walls for years afterwards.
into the closing scenes from V for Vendetta. Alternatively (and more fun if it doesn't work) adopt the Chaos Magick approach and just enjoy a drat good wank while thinking of your desired outcome.

forkboy84 posted:

One of the writers of Brass Eye with one of the most smooth-brained takes I've seen in a while
Someone who tweets please point out that he's thinking of The Bible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EmptyVessel posted:

Someone who tweets please point out that he's thinking of The Bible.

Someone who tweets already twat.

https://twitter.com/quantick/status/1612358024441761792

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Moaning about anonymity online should be a capital crime

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Rarity posted:

Wake me up when FF14 drops another expansion!

Manifest us one please! (and a better one than Endwalker!!)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

forkboy84 posted:

Moaning about anonymity online should be a capital crime

Posting under your real name either means you are one of the most venerable greybeards online who was posting to Usenet before the WWW was a thing, or you're a n00b who wasn't online in the '90s.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Real names online people are cops.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

keep punching joe posted:

Real names online people are cops.

Cops are legally required to use their own name and police department email address when online.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Failed Imagineer posted:

Well, at least Lydon waited until Keith Levene was dead before making the guy spin in his grave.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Skeletome posted:

a better one than Endwalker!!

:dafuq:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

forkboy84 posted:

David Quantick thinks that communism is responsible for the death of somewhere like 2% of all homo sapiens to have ever lived.

Whenever I head "Communism has killed eleventy quadrillion people!!!!1" I am reminded of the fact that I live in the same city as this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_to_the_Victims_of_Communism_%E2%80%93_Canada,_a_Land_of_Refuge

quote:

The Memorial to the Victims of Communism – Canada, a Land of Refuge is a controversial monument that as of July 2021[1] is currently under construction in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

I'm sure that it has nothing to do with nazis and fasci -

quote:

In July 2021, while the monument was still under construction, CBC News reported that Tribute to Liberty received some donations honouring fascists and Nazi collaborators, as evidenced out by the project's on-line list. The donations seem intended to sanitize or commemorate eastern European Nazi collaborators who were involved in the deportation and murder of Jews and other groups under Hitler's Final Solution, like Ustaša leader Ante Pavelić and Ukrainian Insurgent Army leader Roman Shukhevych. Ludwik Klimkowski, chair of Tribute to Liberty stated that questions about who will be commemorated "are premature" since both Tribute to Liberty and the Department of Canadian Heritage are still reviewing the final list of names which will be included on the memorial. He did not confirm that the money to commemorate Nazi collaborators was refused and returned, saying it would be "premature to comment".

Oh.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

can't believe Vladislav the Jew Slayer donated to the memorial

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also consistent with most of the "communism kills people" statistics which usually list german soldiers who died on the eastern front as "victims of communism"

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

OwlFancier posted:

Also consistent with most of the "communism kills people" statistics which usually list german soldiers who died on the eastern front as "victims of communism"

If you think about it all the WWII deaths after June 1941 were also victims of communism. Either they were allied with the USSR and died in the glorious revolutionary struggle to bring Stalinism to the grateful world (are brave boys, the US, etc.), or they were noble anticommunists striving against the Red Menace (Germany, Japan and friends).

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

“Clean Energy caused the Slave Trade” is the searing hot take I didn’t know I needed today

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wasn't there some "study" done on the British Raj using the same standards the "Victims of Communism" people use that came up with almost 2 billion dead as a direct result of their policy and empire? Maybe he was thinking of that.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

e: too stupid a take to post even ironically

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Epic High Five posted:

Wasn't there some "study" done on the British Raj using the same standards the "Victims of Communism" people use that came up with almost 2 billion dead as a direct result of their policy and empire? Maybe he was thinking of that.

Pretty sure "victims of communism" eventually included every future human in their calculation because something something chernobyl something something nuclear proliferation something something nuclear holocaust

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Victims of Communism literally included the entire COVID death count in their numbers. Because China did it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Oh man it's going off at work. Somebody snapped and registered a throwaway email account to blast every branch, the CEO and every regulatory body even semi-relevant with a four-page email howling about all the dodgy behaviour of the middle management tiers at my company. It's gonna get spicy over the next few weeks.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

HopperUK posted:

Oh man it's going off at work. Somebody snapped and registered a throwaway email account to blast every branch, the CEO and every regulatory body even semi-relevant with a four-page email howling about all the dodgy behaviour of the middle management tiers at my company. It's gonna get spicy over the next few weeks.

:munch:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i forget are you someone who knows they're losing their job soon?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nope, my job is pretty secure, and it wasn't anyone at my branch who did this, so we are just kind of amazed

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

HopperUK posted:

this is bad for jeremy corbyn

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gaelgoons is this as accurate in terms of how funny it should sound

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

Gaelgoons is this as accurate in terms of how funny it should sound

It's pretty close IIRC to how my dad used to say it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yep and it's just "punt" not "púnt" so it sounds pretty much like you'd think

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Brúwn spent all the púnts

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Anyone ever come across a good promotion/advancement scheme at work that isn't just a load of poo poo meant to cover up that it's all jobs for mates?

I'm being asked to weigh in on improvements to ours and all I keep coming back to is that the CEO on his 2.8m salary has certainly never been asked to fill in a self assessment form!

I've been reading about the NHS one, while it's very nice and systemic it still comes down to setting and then meeting a load of nebulous objectives with your line manager and good loving luck if they don't like you or are poo poo.

Also seems like an awfully large amount of bullshit hoops to jump through for pittance increases.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mebh posted:

Anyone ever come across a good promotion/advancement scheme at work that isn't just a load of poo poo meant to cover up that it's all jobs for mates?

I'm being asked to weigh in on improvements to ours and all I keep coming back to is that the CEO on his 2.8m salary has certainly never been asked to fill in a self assessment form!

I've been reading about the NHS one, while it's very nice and systemic it still comes down to setting and then meeting a load of nebulous objectives with your line manager and good loving luck if they don't like you or are poo poo.

Also seems like an awfully large amount of bullshit hoops to jump through for pittance increases.

Nah PDR is shite, we've been trying to do away with it as a union for years (best we've managed is to crush the peformance-related aspect of pay increase as low as possible in favour of standard rises across the board)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

self reviews are just an excuse for your manager to poo poo on you after you've made your best case

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Mebh posted:

Ultimately, the problem with promotion/advancement in the NHS is that unless there's a vacant job for [you] to advance to, you won't get anything.
Unlike in parts of the private sector, they can't just create a higher-paid/ranked job just because someone is good at their job and/or a massive suck-up.
So you can be really good at the job you do, and be stuck where you are because no-one above you in the chain is leaving. This isn't communicated well to new staff, at all. This also really sucks if you've got friends who work outside the public sector who get promoted seemingly every year and you don't.

The point of appraisals in the NHS is supposed to be about developing staff, but the NHS gets its share of cunts with management responsibilities, just like everywhere else. So instead of "how can we help you be better at your job?" it's "here's a list of ways you were poo poo at your job". Which, sadly, sometimes includes 'things you were poo poo at because I didn't show you how to do it well.'
As someone with a line management role within a clinical area of the NHS I spend a non-zero number of hours trying to think of meaningful goals for the staff I line manage, knowing full well that this mostly makes them more employable to other NHS trusts. The trade-off is that, hopefully, line managers at other NHS trusts are doing the same for their staff, so they might apply for jobs with us.

That said, there are still significant problems with promotion/advancement of BAME and LGBTQIA+ individuals within the NHS and it's often hard for staff to access the programmes/initiatives that seek to address this issue because the people most likely to know about them are their line managers who can often act as shitbag gatekeepers. And the systems to report this kind of bullshit aren't very well developed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I have a bridge to sell you if you think arbitrary promotion is less of an issue in the private sector.