Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

It's down the list compared to other screens (like the trading interface) but I definitely wish the artifacts screen had some sorting possible. Half the time I get a "x is missing" I look through the list (most of which isn't actually artifacts) and can't even find whatever it was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

I would love a way to highlight enemies. Even with the better graphics it can be really hard to see where enemies are.

Double that since looking at multiple z-levels seems to be messy.

So this isn't quite what you're asking, but I only realized this earlier so it might help other people — when selecting the kill order for your squads, you can choose "paint" mode and then just make a square around all the enemies you want killed rather than clicking on them one by one. Haven't tried yet but it might even work like mining where you can designate between z-levels?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

This setup really seems to work for cross dwarves

I found it here: https://youtu.be/m-3aU1RDJsE

I designated the lanes as negative priority so people don’t jump down the holes to get bolts but you do have to unmark them as trash

Also, I had 3 artifacts stolen in one year all by my top armor/weapon smiths as the handoff dudes arg

mst4k fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jan 9, 2023

SwissDonkey
Mar 29, 2007

A forgotten beast got his weird dust everywhere and now my hospital is full of vomit lmao

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oops uh sorry for not disabling all other work on my doctors

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Amazingly only now do I learn that you can pick what statues depict

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Benagain posted:

Amazingly only now do I learn that you can pick what statues depict

Say what?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Affi posted:

Say what?

Click the magnifying glass next to it on either the workshop queue or the work order: there's a whole UI for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWQLG0ErBqE

Since I learned this, I've been adding statues of the deceased to tombs. My stoneworker keeps picking unflattering poses to memorialize though, like divorces or that time they got sick.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SwissDonkey posted:

A forgotten beast got his weird dust everywhere and now my hospital is full of vomit lmao

Barf Fortress

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Click the magnifying glass next to it on either the workshop queue or the work order: there's a whole UI for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWQLG0ErBqE

Since I learned this, I've been adding statues of the deceased to tombs. My stoneworker keeps picking unflattering poses to memorialize though, like divorces or that time they got sick.

Holy crap, I always heard people say they carved statues of specific things, did not know how. I thought maybe they just made a shitload of statues until the right one came out.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You said it yourself. Flow kills FPS. Having constant flow is terrible for your frames.

And to note, you can do large-scale water or magma movement without flow, because pressure is an entirely different mechanic from flow. You should generally try to plan to always move everything through pressure, not flow, as much as it is practicable. For example, if you want to move a lot of water halfway across the map, start by making a reservoir that's more tall than wide that holds more water than the entire channel you intend to move through, that's above that channel. Because there's not a lot of "sideways free surface", filling it up shouldn't kill your fps much. Then open it all at once to fill the channel you are moving water through. Unlike flow, pressure is instant, so the channel just instantly fills up.

With magma, it's more complicated because there is no head pressure. Screw pumps still provide pressure, so to move a lot of magma sideways you build a 1-tile wide channel, a screw pump that outputs into that channel (and not above it!), and whose input tile is gravity fed from a tall reservoir that's large enough to fill the entire channel. I think you can power the pump from below. You can do this same thing with water to provide pressure to fill the channel but reset the "water level" so it won't go above the pump.

cheetah7071 posted:

so like for real though how do you safely even approach the circus in this patch when you're rolling the dice on fortress death every tile you uncover long before you even spot adamantine

You build a proper trap corridor before you start mining the fun stuff. Collapsing a mountain on top of things still kills everything in this game.

(You'll probably lose a few miners, but that should be a price you are willing to pay.)

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I watched some amphibian men pick a fight with a forgotten beast with a freezing dust cloud attack. The amphibians won the fight, were all covered in the dust in the process, then, one after another, they all keeled over immediately after they set foot in a cavern pond.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

resistentialism posted:

I watched some amphibian men pick a fight with a forgotten beast with a freezing dust cloud attack. The amphibians won the fight, were all covered in the dust in the process, then, one after another, they all keeled over immediately after they set foot in a cavern pond.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Cavern dwellers are intense. There was one ant-woman soldier in my first cavern who I think bugged out during an invasion and wouldn't move from a small area, so I left her alone. She ended up soloing god knows how many trolls, as well as a forgotten beast made of flame in a battle that lasted days and left her entire little area scorched ash. I did want to mine that area eventually so I sent a small squad of recruits with iron gear to get rid of her - she butchered them all. It took my two full elite steel-equipped squads several rounds of combat to take her down. I need to get around to making a statue of her

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

johnny park posted:

Cavern dwellers are intense. There was one ant-woman soldier in my first cavern who I think bugged out during an invasion and wouldn't move from a small area, so I left her alone. She ended up soloing god knows how many trolls, as well as a forgotten beast made of flame in a battle that lasted days and left her entire little area scorched ash. I did want to mine that area eventually so I sent a small squad of recruits with iron gear to get rid of her - she butchered them all. It took my two full elite steel-equipped squads several rounds of combat to take her down. I need to get around to making a statue of her

Apparently Ant People Queens are some of the strongest sapient creatures in the game barring megabeasts and such. They're basically the Queen from Aliens if it could use a weapon or shield in each arm.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are certain types of dwarven melee weapons considered to be better than others? For whatever reason, a large proportion of the migrants I've been getting are decently-skilled Speardwarves. I've just been rolling with it and letting the ones I draft into my militia pick whatever weapon they want, but I'm curious if spears secretly suck or something.

I've also been getting a lot of Bowdwarves, which seems weird to me because afaik you can only produce bolts and not arrows. :thunk:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Appoda posted:

My migrants are rotten with artifacts. What's the likelihood that they're stolen?

Also I don't think I've ever had this happen, but 95% of my migrants all have the same skills. My top skills after 30-40 migrants are:

Swordsdwarfship
Speardwarfship
Legendary Students/Writers/Readers
Animal/Fish Disectors

A lot of them have kills in Dwarf Therapist, too. I can't believe I've got no one who cooks, makes clothes, or does stone/crafting/engraving/carpentry/useful production. I did luck out and get a legendary doctor and armorer/metalsmith, but I have no fuel to reasonably equip my ~20 or so sword and speardwarves.

If you need a particular skill, just assign someone to the labor. They train up quite quickly.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Bold Robot posted:

Are certain types of dwarven melee weapons considered to be better than others? For whatever reason, a large proportion of the migrants I've been getting are decently-skilled Speardwarves. I've just been rolling with it and letting the ones I draft into my militia pick whatever weapon they want, but I'm curious if spears secretly suck or something.

I've also been getting a lot of Bowdwarves, which seems weird to me because afaik you can only produce bolts and not arrows. :thunk:

There's not really any crappy weapon types, they're all good or decent at different things. Spears are really good at killing things made out of weird materials, like forgotten beasts. Maces are great for pulping corpses, which keeps undead from coming back. Swords are excellent against unarmored meaty foes. And so on.

Actually there is one type of weapon that's currently considered quite weak... crossbows.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

It depends on what you're fighting. Spears don't do super much damage to flesh, but their small cross-section means they penetrate armor pretty well, so they're useful against stuff like Goblins and Humans and such, where you pierce their armor and hope they pass out from the pain and collapse so you can coup de grace them. (Cross)bowdwarves are pretty good all-round (assuming you can deal with the logistical annoyance of equipping/training them), but are especially useful against Forgotten Beasts or Dragons or anything else with some incredibly lethal AoE attack or syndrome-inducing dust/blood where you want to keep your distance as much as possible. This kinda breaks down of course once they run out of ammo and just bum rush the enemy to beat them to death with the crossbow itself.

Swords and axes are good choppy weapons that are great for destroying unarmored meat, so are great for cavern dweller invasions or agitated animals. And hammers and maces are best used against anything raised by a Necromancer, where slashing them apart just leads to more pieces reanimating and attacking you and you want to keep the corpse intact but pulped into uselessness.

Of course, really you just take whatever you have and throw it at a problem and kinda just hope for the best because these sorts of threat evaluations and min-maxing theory often breaks down on first contact with the enemy in practice.

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 9, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Warhammers and maces have the benefit of being useful even if you make them out of copper, and silver is genuinely a top tier material choice for making them.

Although for warhammers I'd still advise steel. They're very slightly worse than silver against regular foes, but they won't glance off of weird megabeast materials and rigid armor made of weird metals nearly as much, which happens to be the niche in which they solidly outperform maces in, too.

e: Don't underestimate good steel picks! They're like a cross between a spear and an axe, and work off of your mining skill.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just be careful not to make blunt weapons out of adamantine. Because of how light the material is blunt adamantine weapons are essentially nerf bats.

Which can come in handy if you don't want the Hammerer doling out lethal punishment but rather a mostly symbolic bonk.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Bold Robot posted:

There's no hp, so it's all about how well your weapon can get to vitals or otherwise disable the target. So, opposing armor, creature size, whether it's undead or not must be considered.

Slashing attacks (from Axe, Sword) are great against things that are unarmored, or a lower-tier material armor vs your blade. Because they sever body parts regularly, they also reduce the capability of limbed foes rapidly. They are less effective on armor in general, however, and nearby necromancers will revive dismembered limbs.

Piercing attacks (from Spear, Sword, Bolt, Pick) are more effective at armor penetration, though you still need a higher-tier material blade for best results. They score deep hits against vital organs, which is great for larger or armored foes, but undead lack (functioning) vital organs and give zero shits about most impaling attacks.

Bashing attacks (from Mace, Hammer, Axe Hilt, Crossbow in melee) depend on material density, rather than tier, and the differences tend to be slight: you can make effective bashers on the cheap and save the steel for armor. Hammers tend to be more penetrating vs armor, while maces deal damage over a wider area of flesh. Both enjoy the ability to pulp flesh underneath armor, and killing undead without severing parts to raise. However, larger creatures with deep vital organs will be difficult to fell.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
In short, don't let a necromancer raise a zombie archangel.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

How important is getting steel for weapons and armor? I've been going with just iron everything so far, because I can't seem to get much steel made.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Jeremor posted:

How important is getting steel for weapons and armor? I've been going with just iron everything so far, because I can't seem to get much steel made.

Kind of a big deal. Iron will do the trick for the most part, but falters when faced with iron armor which goblins tend to wear, and there are certain creatures you really don't want to be fighting any longer than you absolutely have to, which steel helps with. Iron/bronze is 'good enough' when it comes to armor, and upgrading to steel isn't quite as big of a deal as upgrading your weapons. Try to get your hands on some flux stone when you're able to.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Jeremor posted:

Unless I'm mistaken (likely) if you can make iron you can make steel, it just requires an extra step (pig iron/flux)

I did not realize you had to spin animal tread.. I have 6 years of wool to spin.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Jeremor posted:

extremely! against the two most common forms of enemy invasion (goblins and cavern dwellers), decently trained dwarves in iron gear will have a moderate advantage against them, although you're likely to lose a dwarf or two in each military action. by contrast, a single dwarf in full steel gear that only knows which side of the battle axe is the slashy side can endlessly reap enemies, only facing serious danger when they literally pass out from the exhaustion of killing too much.

against megafauna like forgotten beasts or fiends from the obsidian gacha capsules, it's more random. combat skills like fire breathing or web slinging are extremely dangerous regardless of armor level, but having steel equipped will still increase the time it takes for enemies to kill each dwarf and give you more time to organize defenses

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just be careful not to make blunt weapons out of adamantine. Because of how light the material is blunt adamantine weapons are essentially nerf bats.

Which can come in handy if you don't want the Hammerer doling out lethal punishment but rather a mostly symbolic bonk.
Let us make blunt weapons out of slade, Tarn! It used to be possible.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 9, 2023

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The 'cheat code' for resolving all your steel problems is to reach magma ASAP, make magma smelters and metalsmith workshops, and then mass produce and melt steel leggings or corkscrews for 1 bar of steel gained from nothing for every 2 you melt.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jeremor posted:

if nothing else I'd probably prioritize weapons and shields, dwarves seem to get attached to and name those things and I'm not sure how pissy they get if you take them away later

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

my dad posted:

The 'cheat code' for resolving all your steel problems is to reach magma ASAP, make magma smelters and metalsmith workshops, and then mass produce and melt steel leggings or corkscrews for 1 bar of steel gained from nothing for every 2 you melt.
That still works? What's the most efficient item? Because I will probably use that ore loadout... on a volcano map, and I can literally plan "and I will also make 3 steel corkscrews to commence dwarven alchemy."

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Are there any repercussions from not convicting my legendary axe dwarf and legendary weapon smith for assisting in the theft of artifacts? A negative thought maybe? Will they do it again?

Ooo i'm going to start a mission to recover them maybe!

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I had some memorial slabs made for my catacombs, and an inscription confirmed that some time ago the visiting baron of Everbrass was struck down by a zombie attacker. By chance I happened to notice the new baroness of Everbrass at the tavern: she has a great deal of patience, values power above all else, and dreams of ruling the world... and is a necromancer by trade.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You said it yourself. Flow kills FPS. Having constant flow is terrible for your frames.

More insight on the game's bottlenecks from the guy optimizing it is here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=180561.0

Edit: I'm probably just misreading it, but Putnam seems like they're saying that flow mostly causes issues if it causes units to repath, so if it's tucked away somewhere where dwarves aren't near it then maybe it won't impact performance as much?

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 9, 2023

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I had my current fort word enter Age of Legends in year 4 before I even get down to the caverns much at all. Is that going to affect me a ton besides less invading forgotten beasts/titans? Planning on heading down to the circus with this fort eventually if not because I have so much access to steel.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Today was my first time seeing 'Gacha Geode', but its a great descriptor for them.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

mst4k posted:

Are there any repercussions from not convicting my legendary axe dwarf and legendary weapon smith for assisting in the theft of artifacts? A negative thought maybe? Will they do it again?

Ooo i'm going to start a mission to recover them maybe!

I'd like to know what they hell they had on my Legendary Metalsmith to make him steal a bracelet. I mean, it's not like this dwarf didn't already have it made in my fortress, but I'm not going to punish him for it anyways so maybe he just doesn't GAF.

Did kill the elf fucker that he implicated on first sight when he showed back up (without the bracelet unfortunately).

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Did anyone nail down the best way to generate heaps of volcanos next to rivers? I remember a post itt and gave it a go, but after 15k rejections and multiple tries I gave up

I sometimes get good results by cranking up the volcanism X and Y variance to 3000 and increasing the minimum volcano count to 30 or so. Maybe increasing the drainage and rainfall variance helps but may also cause world rejections from too many regions being created

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

mst4k posted:

Other dwarves will get a happy thought about justice being served, but they will get it no matter who is convicted. You could finger someone else for the crime if you don't want to risk these particular dwarves.

Convicting a fully armored dwarf can be relatively safe, since they should be able to take a beating. If it's not a beating, a theft should only land them in jail for about 30 days. In the long term mulling over their jail sentence might change their personality and make them more law-abiding... or it could make them antisocial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Actually there is one type of weapon that's currently considered quite weak... crossbows.

I've found them to be quite useful. I follow the twin rules of:

1. Every xbow squad you make is created with the pre-set archer template, and then changed to whatever you want later. If one member of the squad dies and you want to replace them, you'll have to destroy and reform the squad.
2. You should not put bolts in bins, ever.

And marksdwarves seem to work just fine.

Nessus posted:

That still works? What's the most efficient item? Because I will probably use that ore loadout... on a volcano map, and I can literally plan "and I will also make 3 steel corkscrews to commence dwarven alchemy."

Leggings, menacing spikes, giant axe blades and giant corkscrews all yield 150% of their creation cost.