Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

hey at least you can potentially get out of being poor if you have spiritual power!

you'll just also be starving in addition to poor, and then have to fight monsters for the rest of your existence

And if you're really great at your job you can get a fast track ticket to Hell for your service to the community 👌

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

White Light posted:

And if you're really great at your job you can get a fast track ticket to Hell for your service to the community 👌

Turns out Omaeda was the smartest Shinigami all along

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Legit hope that since the anime's a big hit, that they have Kubo keep doing that hell arc thing he teased on that one shot. All the plot threads introduced were hype and Kubo doesn't need to work himself to death with an editor he despises anymore.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Honestly the best you could hope for is becoming a Hollow, getting eaten by another Hollow, and eventually being the part of the conglomeration of Hollows that becomes an Arrancar

sure you don't exist anymore but at least you contributed

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Monaghan posted:

Legit hope that since the anime's a big hit, that they have Kubo keep doing that hell arc thing he teased on that one shot. All the plot threads introduced were hype and Kubo doesn't need to work himself to death with an editor he despises anymore.

kubo has said that every time someone asks him if he is going to continue the hell arc, he becomes less enthusiastic about the idea.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Monaghan posted:

Going off mangaka workloads that just means he gets to work himself to death with an editor he likes instead. Or is at least neutral towards. After which he can meet his old, despised editor in Hell and work for him for eternity again.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

kubo has said that every time someone asks him if he is going to continue the hell arc, he becomes less enthusiastic about the idea.

I'm Kubo?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

hiddenriverninja posted:

It definitely bums me out that will never get kubo's world of ghost assassination

Soifon and her division doing morally depraved wetworks against souls whose existence is inconvenient for the Central 46 and the noble houses.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What’s even more perplexing is how the 46 are even still tyrannical fascist despots. Like they’re just regular (ghost)dudes. Aizen killed them all easily yet their heirs get put back in charge. Like why have the captains ever given a poo poo what they think? Why are the captains with world destroying superpowers not in charge?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

galagazombie posted:

What’s even more perplexing is how the 46 are even still tyrannical fascist despots. Like they’re just regular (ghost)dudes. Aizen killed them all easily yet their heirs get put back in charge. Like why have the captains ever given a poo poo what they think? Why are the captains with world destroying superpowers not in charge?

The captains who formed the entire social structure at that, since Yamamoto and the original Gotei 13 were the ones who created Soul Society as I recall? Why the gently caress did he put a bunch of people above himself, when he's presented as kind of a dictatory dude? And what made them particularly noble to gain that status in the first place, since they obviously weren't all leaders of the other 12 squads.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Yamamoto loves killing people and hates talking to people, of course he'd create a council of assholes to do it for him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I assume the OG Gotei 13 was so bad and hosed up that Old Yama thought it'd be good to have some sort of way to restrain what they did.

Remember, Unohana used to go around killing poor people so she could find a worthy opponent until she found Kenpachi, and her lackeys weren't really horrified by what she was doing, which implies that it was morally acceptable back then.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

galagazombie posted:

because yamamoto said so.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Really a better question is why Shunsui put up with their poo poo after Yamamoto was dead, since they spend every time they're onscreen from the on trying to actively hamper his ability to defend SS against a second attack. Like he twists their arm a bit but not too much, and he agrees to a bunch of restrictions in freeing Aizen. Should've just told the old ghost senate to go gently caress itself.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
probly a bad look for the head of Soul Society to tell congress to go gently caress themselves and just start releasing war criminals.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I could see a theoretical early Soul Society where the noble families are incredibly powerful and charge Yamamoto with the task of Doing Something about the growing number of incredibly strong bandit Shinigami who got their Zanpakuto the same way Zaraki did and recruited or pressed them into service as the 13 Court Guard Squads with the Central 46 being basically nothing more than a mouth piece for the noble clans. With an army working for them they don't have to fight their own battles anymore and outside of a few noble families whose tradition includes some form of CGS service they're probably mostly noble out of precedent/tradition than any measure of objective power.

There's probably some sort of faux-Marxist allegory here that could be made about the role of the petit bourgeoisie but this isn't cspam so uhhh

Odds on what cut fight is gonna be in the next chunk of episodes?

It'd be nice to see Orihime kick some rear end

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

TheHan posted:

probly a bad look for the head of Soul Society to tell congress to go gently caress themselves and just start releasing war criminals.

Who's going to complain? It's not a democracy, and the actual residents are mostly just poor schmucks with no power of any kind; martial, social, political etc. Shunsui could have murdered the entire council and I doubt any of the other captains or actual soul reaperes would have even raised any outcry beyond "...about loving time someone did it".

Lib and let die posted:

Chad versus a leaf that happens to float by. It's a blowout, and Chad spends the rest of the arc recuperating from his defeat while the leaf finally settles to the ground only for a squad of guards to run over it.

tsob fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 10, 2023

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm pretty sure the light novels answer some of these questions, but also I haven't read them. I hear CFYOW is good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the vast majority of ghosts don't have spirit power, so they can't use a zanpakutou or kidou. they also do not require (ghost) food, whatever the heck that even is. the big thing that wasn't heavily emphasized is that only ghosts with spirit power can reproduce. there's never been a single character that was born a ghost that did not have spirit power. so, the purpose of the incompetent ghost aristocracy is to make lots of ghost babies to populate the gotei 13. the godawful artificial cosmology soul society constructed requires lots of manpower to function at all. most of the times you see regular rank and file shinigami it is while they are dying, so i doubt they have a very long life expectancy. recruiting former humans from the ghost slums probably can't keep up with the attrition rate.

also, the central 46 could never tell yama to do a single thing he didn't want to do. they only had as much authority over him or any of the gotei 13 as yamamoto permitted. they said kill rukia, so yama tried to kill rukia because he could not possibly care less about the matter.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Lib and let die posted:

I could see a theoretical early Soul Society where the noble families are incredibly powerful and charge Yamamoto with the task of Doing Something about the growing number of incredibly strong bandit Shinigami who got their Zanpakuto the same way Zaraki did and recruited or pressed them into service as the 13 Court Guard Squads with the Central 46 being basically nothing more than a mouth piece for the noble clans. With an army working for them they don't have to fight their own battles anymore and outside of a few noble families whose tradition includes some form of CGS service they're probably mostly noble out of precedent/tradition than any measure of objective power.

There's probably some sort of faux-Marxist allegory here that could be made about the role of the petit bourgeoisie but this isn't cspam so uhhh

Sir, this is a feudal society. You're gonna have to wait for Urahara to introduce an industrial revolution first.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think Kubo might have been trying to go for a whole Kamakura shogunate thing where the Samurai (ghost or otherwise) government exists in a kind of uneasy relationship with the old imperial government, both running in parallel. Of course the Samurai in real life didn’t have super powers that made them untouchable gods.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Missed opportunity to give every member of central 46 their own zanpakuto and character design

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

TheHan posted:

Missed opportunity to give every member of central 46 their own zanpakuto and character design

That's what Bleach needs, more characters!

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

TheHan posted:

They'd all look dope as gently caress but have no story around them, so they'd fit in perfectly.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lib and let die posted:

That's what Bleach needs, more characters!

This unironically

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What makes them stick out is that they’re the only regular-looking old dudes in all of Bleach

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Would have been cool if Central 46 had a connection to the spirit society or whatever from Burn the Witch, but the Gotei 13 was so strong and scary that they simply cut off the Japanese branch.

That’s my headcanon now actually.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Soul King was actually a witch

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Would have been cool if Central 46 had a connection to the spirit society or whatever from Burn the Witch, but the Gotei 13 was so strong and scary that they simply cut off the Japanese branch.

That’s my headcanon now actually.

the witch society was also full of deranged fascists so i think soul societies are just like that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

bump

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1641818633071480833?t=YBNnSTttgUuGFx_UJMOqng&s=19

bump it with this at least!!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
boo, who changed the title, the first Bleach OP really was the GOAT

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
title is funny

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New trailer for BLEACH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53_QT4NSB48

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Biggest info drop: Shinji's bankai will happen on-screen.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Schubalts posted:

Biggest info drop: Shinji's bankai will happen on-screen.

Wonder if they'll stick with what it was in one of the books or change it. Afaik that book is still canon(also has Hiragi's bankai)

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

So they're clearly adding to what we got in the manga. Iirc, Shinji's bankai only showed up in Can't Fear Your Own World. Hopefully this means they pad out/change some of the other fights as well.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
LMAO if Shinji only gets to use his bankai against a bunch of jobber mooks.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gologle posted:

LMAO if Shinji only gets to use his bankai against a bunch of jobber mooks.

It's better than the Vizerds doing jack poo poo at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

love Shinji, excited to see his bankai, he was still cooler before he became a captain