Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, I'd love to take part in the discussions (or at least read the posts), but since I usually watch the NHK highlights, I'm a day behind most posters.
Would it be possible to put a day number before the spoiler tags?

Day 1 : Shodai lost again
If you want, NattoSumo on Youtube uploads recap videos every day with most of the pre-match ceremonies cut out, so you can get through a whole day of top rank in about a half hour or less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I've lurked for a week and started watching thanks entirely to this thread, and thank you/drat you, I am hooked. And I don't even like watching other sports. Looking forward to properly learn!

And daaamn that [day 2] Tamawashi opening, iron man banzai!

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, I'd love to take part in the discussions (or at least read the posts), but since I usually watch the NHK highlights, I'm a day behind most posters.
Would it be possible to put a day number before the spoiler tags?

Day 1 : Shodai lost again

This is a really good idea tbh

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Beeswax posted:

This is a really good idea tbh

Yeah. I'm often a day behind too and I sometimes get spoiled too. It usually doesn't mess with my enjoyment but I could see how it would for others.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Surprising to see Ura win with such straight forward sumo but I like it

Day 2: Ura actually was up to his old tricks here - he pulled an Enho by coming in under Hokutofuji's tachiai and got his hands under the other's armpits to get him upright and ripe for the push-out.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Day 2
Abi: seems lucky to be 2-0 in his title defence. Both wins could have easily gone the other way.

Mitakuemi: Looking good so far. If he's healthy he could cause some damage looking for redemption.

Takakeisho: Takayasu nailed him pretty clean with a flying forearm. Hope he's ok.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Bentai posted:

If you want, NattoSumo on Youtube uploads recap videos every day with most of the pre-match ceremonies cut out, so you can get through a whole day of top rank in about a half hour or less.

Thank you for this. I was able to watch most of the first day off and on, and the upper ranked stuff was starting as my shift was winding down but last night I was dead to the earth for the last three hours or so of the tournament.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Pity, I forgot to submit my teams because I was on a trip.
I hope to join again next basho!

Edit: here is what I would have submitted were I on time:

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Shodai
Wakatakakage
Wakamotoharu

M1-M5:
Abi
Ryuden
Midorifuji

M6-M10:
Hokutofuji
Ura
Takanosho

M11+:
Chiyomaru
Tochinoshin
Ichiyamamoto

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 9, 2023

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Fearless posted:

Thank you for this. I was able to watch most of the first day off and on, and the upper ranked stuff was starting as my shift was winding down but last night I was dead to the earth for the last three hours or so of the tournament.

If even that's too long, Kintamayama usually does 2 versions, a quickie version with no replays or anything that's under 10 minutes and a full version that's in the 15 range. He just does Makuuchi though (with maybe a Juryo match or two if they feature popular guys like Enho) so if you want Juryo/Makushita summaries you still need to hit up Natto.

He does rip the English commentary where available if that's important to you. Usually I can watch this before/during my morning work coffee.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, watching Kintamayama vids while drinking coffee is my basho routine. I really get settled in just in time for the Basho to end and then I feel lost for a few days, haha.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Beexoffel posted:

I believe tradition is to accept late entries. You just forfeit points from the days you missed

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Bentai posted:

But I like the NHK highlights commentary...and then I usually end up watching bits of other programs and pretend to brush up on my Japanese.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Beeswax posted:

I believe tradition is to accept late entries. You just forfeit points from the days you missed

Then I'll happily forfeit some days of points and join in the fun!
I looked at https://sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/ and picked whom I sort of recognised or smiled nicely.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Yeah, watching Kintamayama vids while drinking coffee is my basho routine. I really get settled in just in time for the Basho to end and then I feel lost for a few days, haha.

Same here. A nice breakfast basho is always pleasant.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Beexoffel posted:

Then I'll happily forfeit some days of points and join in the fun!
I looked at https://sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanzuke/index/ and picked whom I sort of recognised or smiled nicely.

If accepted, not sure if kenning will auto fix it for you, but you might want to swap out Teru for Takakeisho in your post unless you want the 0--0-15 on some sort of principal.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

pseudodragon posted:

If accepted, not sure if kenning will auto fix it for you, but you might want to swap out Teru for Takakeisho in your post unless you want the 0--0-15 on some sort of principal.

Thanks for the info! I saw Terunofuji at the top of the banzuke so just picked him. I've changed to Takakeisho.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Day 2:

SHODAI - Is it me, or does Shodai just give up when his feet hit the rope? You can see him resisting and then it feels like he just shrugs and steps himself out rather than continue to fight. It's really disheartening to see :smith:

Ura v. Hokutofuji - Hell yeah! Ganbare, Ura-san! Definitely much better form than day 1.

Tobizaru v. Takakeisho - HELL YEAH TOBIZARU. Really loved seeing Tobizaru lock in and refine his style of sumo over the last couple of basho. That rapid attacking but ever shifting offense, where he just laterally slides away from opponent attempts to lock him down or push him. It really seems to be working well for him and it owns. He's my second favourite rikishi to watch after Hoshoryu.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mode 7 posted:

Day 2:

Ura v. Hokutofuji - Hell yeah! Ganbare, Ura-san! Definitely much better form than day 1.

I forget if it was this match or yesterday’s when I noticed Ura suppressed his tachiai double hop… because the other guy beat him to it :ssh:

His flourish at the end of today’s match had me hootin’ and hollerin’

quote:

Tobizaru v. Takakeisho - HELL YEAH TOBIZARU. Really loved seeing Tobizaru lock in and refine his style of sumo over the last couple of basho. That rapid attacking but ever shifting offense, where he just laterally slides away from opponent attempts to lock him down or push him. It really seems to be working well for him and it owns. He's my second favourite rikishi to watch after Hoshoryu.

Seconded, Tobizaru’s got a dynamism about him that makes him extra fun to watch, lots of footwork and quick shifting his weight around. actually why I like Ura as well

also love to see my man Tommy Mawashi coming out strong

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Missed the new thread and thus forgot to submit fantasy sumo. I feel great shame in this and accept the loss of several days' points.

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Tamawashi
Midorifuji
Nishikigi

M6-10:
Aoiyama
Hokutofuji
Oho

M11+:
Chiyomaru
Azumaryu
Tochinoshin

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 3: Terutsuyoshi still has not won. :smith:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Sorry for a bit of latency, I've been losing power and internet like crazy during this storm. I heard a tree fall on a powerline last night! Catching up with thread business, then I'll post Day 2 standings.

ilmucche posted:

ilmucche

Y/O: Takakeisho
S/K: Meisei
M1-5: Tamawashi
M6-10: Endo
M11+: Chiyomaru

I am crushed that I did not get tochinoshin. I'm assuming I can't request a trade because he's full up?

Why did I put meisei on my list

Looking at my draft list you should have gotten Tochi. The cutoff for maegashira guys was 18 players, and you were number 18, so I must have mis-counted at some point in the draft. Thanks for calling my attention to it, you'll have Tochi from Day 1.

Chinook posted:

Oh crap, I ended up with a banned rikishi Ichinojo. Could I have one of my other choices instead?

Whoops, I tried to catch everyone who would have gotten Ichi, but missed you. You've got Takanosho from Day 1.

Marching Powder posted:

i was going to go kyujo this basho but gently caress it, if i'm too late or you just can't be hosed or w/e don't worry about

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakamotoharu
Kiribayama

M1-M5:
Abi
Nishikifuji
Tamawashi

M6-M10:
Oho
Hokutofuji
Ura

M11+:
Kotoshoho
Tochinoshin
Chiyoshoma

Glad you're back after your brief rest, you get the following team starting Day 2:

S/K: Hoshoryu
M1-M5: Abi
M6-M10: Hokutofuji
M11+: Kotoshoho

Beexoffel posted:

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Shodai
Wakatakakage
Wakamotoharu

M1-M5:
Abi
Ryuden
Midorifuji

M6-M10:
Hokutofuji
Ura
Takanosho

M11+:
Chiyomaru
Tochinoshin
Ichiyamamoto

Xerzes posted:

Missed the new thread and thus forgot to submit fantasy sumo. I feel great shame in this and accept the loss of several days' points.

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Tamawashi
Midorifuji
Nishikigi

M6-10:
Aoiyama
Hokutofuji
Oho

M11+:
Chiyomaru
Azumaryu
Tochinoshin

These two teams will be scored from Day 3:

Beexoffel

S/K: Shodai

Xerxes

S/K: Wakatakakage
M6-10: Aoiyama

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

Kenning posted:

Whoops, I tried to catch everyone who would have gotten Ichi, but missed you. You've got Takanosho from Day 1.

There's another one of these btw

Kenning posted:

LlamaTrauma

S/K: Takayasu
M1-5: Abi
M6-10: Ichinojo
M11+: Okinoumi

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Alright, we've seen some great sumo so far this basho.

Day 2 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
9	scripterror
8	Khizan
8	MalarkeyToboggan
7	anakha
7	Banana Canada
7	Charles Gnarwin
7	Flinger
7	jmzero
7	Tiny Bug Child
6	bessantj
6	Mode 7
6	MyChemicalImbalance
6	NuclearPotato
6	Teddybear
6	Thauros
6	Vargatron
5	Crusty Nutsack
5	Fluffdaddy
5	GoatSeeGuy
5	Ice Phisherman
5	ilmucche
5	Jobbo_Fett
5	Kenning
5	Kuros
5	Liquid Communism
5	Neodoomium
5	Pakled
5	pseudodragon
5	sivad
5	Tochiazuma
4	Brut
4	captainblastum
4	Chinook
4	Eli949
4	Netsky
3	bartolimu
3	Communist Thoughts
3	Iron Chef Nex
3	Marching Powder
Juryo
code:
8	do it on my face
8	ratmosphere
7	QuasiQuack
7	rare Magic card l00k
6	Average Lettuce
6	Eldoop
6	Elissimpark
6	ImplicitAssembler
6	Nativity In Black
6	oldskool
6	Samuel L. Hacksaw
6	Single Tight Female
6	Spokes
6	whats for dinner
6	Winter Stormer
5	Akiosan
5	Biosys
5	Boogalo
5	Helianthus Annuus
5	Log082
5	PJ
5	riderchop
5	Robviously
5	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
5	Saturnine Aberrance
4	Ben Nerevarine
4	Dead Goon
4	John McClane
4	Lid
4	LlamaTrauma
4	ullerrm
3	Bentai
0	Beexoffel
0	Xerxes

Kenning fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 10, 2023

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Brut posted:

There's another one of these btw

Gah! Thanks. I swapped out Ichi for Endo.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Day 3: Look at Abi go!

E: And Hoshoryu too!

Also,

SHODAI

Fearless fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 10, 2023

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Kenning posted:

These two teams will be scored from Day 3:

Beexoffel

S/K: Shodai

Xerxes

S/K: Wakatakakage
M6-10: Aoiyama

Thanks for adding!

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Day 3: Papa is looking washed out this tournament, seemed like he was protecting his neck during the bout.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

Day 2 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
7	jmzero
7	Tiny Bug Child
6	bessantj
6	Mode 7

drat you Tiny Bug Child. You don't know me and we've never interacted but with you one point and place above me you are my mortal nemesis!

Also is this the best start to a pro sumo career?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

My guys are really loving me and not in the good way

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Kenning posted:

Looking at my draft list you should have gotten Tochi. The cutoff for maegashira guys was 18 players, and you were number 18, so I must have mis-counted at some point in the draft. Thanks for calling my attention to it, you'll have Tochi from Day 1.

Aww thanks kenning, you're a champ! Hope your power issues are resolved safely!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Bentai posted:

Day 3: Papa is looking washed out this tournament, seemed like he was protecting his neck during the bout.

Yeah he's not in good form right now. Hate to see it.

Day 3: Hoshouryuu is looking very strong right now. Also another win for Ura! :unsmith:

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Day 3: Hell yeah, 5/5 today. Takakeisho and Abi had nice slap-fests

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

The dude who was at the losing end of that, Oki, had the opposite of a zensho Basho with his singular appearance as sekitori in 2020.

Seems he was largely railroaded with a bunch of former makuuchi regulars, which sucks.

I love sumo reference.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Kenning posted:

Day 2 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
5	Kuros

I didn't realize I had been promoted!

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Kenning posted:

Day 2 standings:
3 Iron Chef Nex

I am evidently imposing my brand of sumo on the dohyo clay itself.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

I really rate Hokutofuji and always enjoy watching his sumo but drat if he doesn't look like Dr Sam Beckett just leaped into the body of a rikishi

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

i feel like my brand of sumo is to start strong and fall apart after day 8, so i am sorry right now for everyone who has members of my team

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Kenning,

Trade request:

Oho for in order: Onosho or Aoiyama.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Day 3: SHODAI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

rare Magic card l00k posted:

i feel like my brand of sumo is to start strong and fall apart after day 8, so i am sorry right now for everyone who has members of my team

I feel like my brand of sumo is Hattorizakura, the Ls start comin and they don’t stop comin

Come down with me, to the bottom of the banzuk-sea