Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Live At Five!
Feb 15, 2008
I avoided tanking for a little bit until I felt like I understood the game a bit more, feels like a good move because I've been absolutely rolling teams with sigma and ramattra. Nemesis form feels so good, its kind of insane to me that it lasts 8 seconds with only an 8 second CD. If they nerf him it will be that and probably toning down his ult. Or making his ult charge slower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Y'all should also consider that your rank in ow2 is explicitly unrelated to what your actual SR is, just so you have something to grind for.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I honestly feel like they need Bronze 6 or Bronze 7.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Your visible rank is a progression/engagement system. It's off so that you always feel like you're improving/revealing your skill. Your actual MMR moves very slowly and generally improves the more matches you play. Regardless of what hitches they're putting in for uniqueness, that's a typical system used in most games with ranked modes.

How many matches it takes to reveal your true MMR is more of a function of how many games they think they can get out of a typical person per season.

E: like, the reason modern ranked modes have "qualifiers" to start is because players will play that many games to see their skill. They know your skill in 3 games or so. OW2's 7 win sprint is just them turning that qualifier engagement into a more repetitive system. Are you more likely to play one more match in a session if you just hit 6 wins?

MJBuddy fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jan 9, 2023

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I thought that once you started winning more games the Matchmaker put you up against people within a two rank spread depending upon how well or how poorly you're doing? Like, the better you did, the tougher your opponents were, or the worse you were doing, the worse your opponents were.

I've tried checking profiles of people, but every single person I've ever checked has always been private.

It will if it has to, but what it did historically was just average teams. So if one team had say, a plat player and 4 golds, it'd try to do that for the other team to. If it can't, it might nudge it a bit higher and give one team all golds. A lot of the time the difference in this is er, a couple of games, so its not worth putting a lot of thought into.

----------

In other news i had a game where i hit 85% of my hooks last night and got told by my healers that it was a tank diff, despite them getting picked first every fight by the enemy hog.

"Why can't you just hook their healers too".

"Because their healers aren't stood in range, bro, why are you".

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

dogstile posted:

It will if it has to, but what it did historically was just average teams. So if one team had say, a plat player and 4 golds, it'd try to do that for the other team to. If it can't, it might nudge it a bit higher and give one team all golds. A lot of the time the difference in this is er, a couple of games, so its not worth putting a lot of thought into.

My guess is that with this worked fine in OW1 when the roles were balanced, but now if one teams plat player is the tank and the other team gets a plat DPS then it's gonna be a stomp.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Probably, it does depend. Lots of tanks outside of Hog fall apart without their supports and I really feel it when my supports are a little slow. Probably why Orisa and Hog are so liked, tbh.

I've had to tell more than one Kiriko to stop wasting their cleanse on sleep and leave it for anti's, etc. If one teams Kiriko is paying attention to that and the other's is not, its again a completely lopsided fight.

Then you've got the whole Soj-Mercy thing that's gonna see a ton of mercy players plummet when they have to learn to do something that isn't right click the Soj. Games in a weird rear end spot.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

dogstile posted:

In other news i had a game where i hit 85% of my hooks last night and got told by my healers that it was a tank diff, despite them getting picked first every fight by the enemy hog.

I had an excellent game last season in comp when someone on mic just became a hype man as I hooked pharahs and mercys out of the sky and just ran over the team's soft half.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The problem with OW2 is that it feels like if everything works the DPS are the only players that actually affect the outcome of the match.

If the matchmaking gives you a massive tank skill diff then that often decides games outright, but if everything works and the tanks are close enough in skill then it’s really just down to whichever team has the better DPS and gets picks. Healers really feel like they have no impact besides keeping the team from auto-losing

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The problem with OW2 is that it feels like if everything works the DPS are the only players that actually affect the outcome of the match.

If the matchmaking gives you a massive tank skill diff then that often decides games outright, but if everything works and the tanks are close enough in skill then it’s really just down to whichever team has the better DPS and gets picks. Healers really feel like they have no impact besides keeping the team from auto-losing

Because that's exactly how the game is made to work. The whole system is made in service of the DPS players because they're a vast majority.

That's also why they relaxed the matchmaking in OW2, to improve the DPS queue times at the cost of everyone's experience.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
I mean sure, if you ignore everything dogstile and others have put in this thread. I see the same thing happen with streamers where they say “support has no impact, well except…”

A team’s foundation is the Supports, and they help enable the Tanks and DPS. The Tank then gets space and attention for the DPS to do work. The DPS then needs to do what they can with the space they have to take out threats to their team (DPS and Tanks) or to distract/assassinate the enemy Supports which will then cause a team to crumble.

Supports get some of the longest cooldowns and most impactful abilities. You can’t say a match with Damage Boost or Discord doesn’t feel different from a match with anti-nades and cleanses. Resurrection helps in One-Shot metas and Immortality Field is one of the few non-ult options that help keep ults from often being an I Win button.

And we’re getting more supports this year + a chance of them figuring out some new utility for Moira so stuff will only get crazier. Brig is even supposed to get a new Ult next season.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think the only problem with support right now is that if you're good at the game, it doesn't feel like you do have an impact.

Higher level players will just go through their mental checklist. "Can i be picked here" "Do i have abilities up" "Does the enemy have abilities up" and then the game mostly boils down to you just kind of doing your thing, taking fight losses when you have to (nanoblade, etc).

You obviously do have an impact, try not doing those things at those levels, you'll fall over pretty quick. But you also don't really have the gamechanging feel that others have. If I land a hook on the enemy healer, you're drat right I feel good about it. If I press Q as soljourn and lazily kill the enemy team with my bullshit ult, i feel like i've won a fight.

Meanwhile, as Ana, even at GM, 90% of my sleeps get woken up. The remaining 10% get cleansed. Nice.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

I had a comp Baptiste game yesterday where I opened the game with 4 elims, picking their Mercy as they retreated, their Moira their flanking Soldier in a 1v1 and finishing their tank. I think one DPS got picked on our side, but I/we kept everyone up to push into high ground before their next spawn and that will never be the play of the game.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
In the bottom ranks the DPS are honestly just decoration, the fights are won by the tank and supports unless the DPS is way below their normal rank for some reason.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

dogstile posted:

when you play tank or dps, overwatch can feel like a race against the clock to make the enemy feed before your team feeds to them lol

this is why I think matches can feel lopsided b/c someone in the game just isn't used to properly dealing with a roadhog hook or widow sightlines or w/e and they suddenly get into a bracket where their opponents can ruthlessly exploit this heavily against them

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Roadhog's hook range is always longer than I think it is

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I don't know if Ram's ult is op per se but it sure is loving annoying

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Rams ult having a duration based on proximity to opponents COMBINED with the innate speed boost of his altered form is a bit much imo. Either take away the speed boost or make the duration fixed.

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

dogstile posted:

I think the only problem with support right now is that if you're good at the game, it doesn't feel like you do have an impact.

Higher level players will just go through their mental checklist. "Can i be picked here" "Do i have abilities up" "Does the enemy have abilities up" and then the game mostly boils down to you just kind of doing your thing, taking fight losses when you have to (nanoblade, etc).

You obviously do have an impact, try not doing those things at those levels, you'll fall over pretty quick. But you also don't really have the gamechanging feel that others have. If I land a hook on the enemy healer, you're drat right I feel good about it. If I press Q as soljourn and lazily kill the enemy team with my bullshit ult, i feel like i've won a fight.

Meanwhile, as Ana, even at GM, 90% of my sleeps get woken up. The remaining 10% get cleansed. Nice.

I hear you. For me personally I still like playing Support because I live for smaller moments.

When I hit an anti-nade at the right time to break a fight open or turn the momentum in one we’re losing.

When I dance around a chasing Winston or other dive characters as Mercy, or when I use Valkyrie to fly to someone across the map and give them the spot healing they need to stay alive.

When I use Immortality Field in order to stand my ground against D.Va bomb or some other big damage so the team can keep shooting, then quickly give a Heal Burst to everyone. Also when I plop down Amplification Matrix to burst Orisa or some other tank that thinks they have the cooldowns to survive so far out of cover.

At one point years ago Ster put out a YouTube video where he said that Tanks and DPS get all the UI feedback for eliminations and headshots and that there should be something for when Supports get a clutch heal in. That actually was added to the game, and I live for those Player Saved sounds, even if half the time I get them it’s because I was only able to prolong their life for half a second as Ana while they were being focused and out of position. Mercy has it easy because she always gets Player Saved when she uses Resurrect, and whenever I’m playing Tank or Damage and hear that sound, I make it a point to thank the Support that saved my life while I was getting my rear end shot up by the enemy.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I noticed that I get healed a lot more often as my "this character is difficult to heal" picks (Widow, Echo and so on) Now that I have one of my extra mouse buttons dedicated to "Thank you".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Competitive CTF sounds like the worst loving idea in this game.

They could've at least made it so that only Tanks can pick up the flag, then it would at least somewhat resemble the real game's structure.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jack Trades posted:

Competitive CTF sounds like the worst loving idea in this game.

They could've at least made it so that only Tanks can pick up the flag, then it would at least somewhat resemble the real game's structure.
Everyone would be wrecking ball, which means ball would actually get some use

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

F.D. Signifier posted:

Everyone would be wrecking ball, which means ball would actually get some use

Ball should be reworked into a DPS or something. His whole concept has no place as the solo tank.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Ball should be reworked into a DPS or something. His whole concept has no place as the solo tank.

Neither does Doomfist but here we are.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Neither does Doomfist but here we are.
Doomfist is good now, they really just had to upgrade his punchiness and block and that was it

Jack Trades posted:

Make Ball a support

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Err... anyone else having an issue where NO game replays or reports are available now? As in the list stays permanently empty?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The first time Comp CTF was in the game I got into master tier playing only Lucio and Mercy lol. I would politely ask someone to play hog and just pocket them.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

comp CTF is fun, but frustrating because nobody understands how to win. Nobody plays it long enough to understand.

My understanding is: stay together, get picks, win fights, don't protect the flag, always try to hit them head on on the way back.

It ends up being like a normal mode. You just have to manage the objective and win fights. If they split up into offense and defense it is a huge advantage for you.

headcase fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 11, 2023

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

SadisTech posted:

Err... anyone else having an issue where NO game replays or reports are available now? As in the list stays permanently empty?

Been hearing about this from people on Twitter. Some kind of random bug, and the only way to fix it seems to be playing a match (some have had it work with quick play, some with comp) or just sitting in game long enough for your client to resync to the replay server or something.

headcase posted:

comp CTF is fun, but frustrating because nobody understands how to win. Nobody plays it long enough to understand.

My understanding is: stay together, get picks, win fights, don't protect the flag, always try to hit them head on on the way back.

It ends up being like a normal mode. You just have to manage the objective and win fights. If they split up into offense and defense it is a huge advantage for you.

This.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
goddamnit blizzard come the gently caress on rn

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

lol at the latest OW twitch drop being the worst Moira skin

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

lol at the latest OW twitch drop being the worst Moira skin

You seem to have misspelled "best" here. Finally have a reason to link my account!

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

verbal enema posted:

This is a top shelf thread title, can we get a change?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

That Moira skin is so bad.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

So my experience of coming back to the game after a few months has been thus: mercy pockets sojourn and the whole team protects them both. overwatch 2, game of the decade.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

the best skins are the casual/normal clothes, with the exception of Hanzo who's casual clothes somehow look just as stupid as his normal look. it should be possible to have an entire match where every character is basically in sweatpants and an unwashed t-shirt.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

As long as all his pants have brown stains im here for it.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
gently caress it's embarrassing when it gives you play of the game and it's just some dumb poo poo where you kill a dude, whiff 4 shots and then slightly damage someone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SadisTech posted:

gently caress it's embarrassing when it gives you play of the game and it's just some dumb poo poo where you kill a dude, whiff 4 shots and then slightly damage someone else

If it makes you feel better, that usually means nobody managed to do anything better than that.