Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

that said, it happens to everyone tanking in roulette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

1stGear posted:

don't try to steal aggro from other tanks

This is the big one for alliance raids, where there will be three tanks and rarely if ever any discussion of who's the main tank that holds aggro on the bosses. If someone else is doing main-tank stuff (stance on, initiating the fights), I strongly advise keeping your stance off and letting them keep aggro as long as they're alive; fighting for aggro can spin the boss around, which can screw with DPS players' positionals and cause the boss to AoE people who aren't suspecting it. Turn your stance back on as needed: to grab adds (please grab adds, a lot of AR tanks will just leave them hanging and let the DPS get murdered), multiple bosses, if the other tank(s) are dead and you need to grab a boss, or when the alliances get split up. Otherwise, play blue DPS.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Thanks everyone. Just tanked the bosses in Syrcus tower and it went smoothly. I think I was thrown off by the chrysalis, where I didn't stand in the right place and everyone died.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Antivehicular posted:

This is the big one for alliance raids, where there will be three tanks and rarely if ever any discussion of who's the main tank that holds aggro on the bosses. If someone else is doing main-tank stuff (stance on, initiating the fights), I strongly advise keeping your stance off and letting them keep aggro as long as they're alive; fighting for aggro can spin the boss around, which can screw with DPS players' positionals and cause the boss to AoE people who aren't suspecting it. Turn your stance back on as needed: to grab adds (please grab adds, a lot of AR tanks will just leave them hanging and let the DPS get murdered), multiple bosses, if the other tank(s) are dead and you need to grab a boss, or when the alliances get split up. Otherwise, play blue DPS.

aggro war is how you make old alliance raids fun

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

SirSamVimes posted:

aggro war is how you make old alliance raids fun

round and round the Mainyu spins

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Thanks everyone. Just tanked the bosses in Syrcus tower and it went smoothly. I think I was thrown off by the chrysalis, where I didn't stand in the right place and everyone died.

If it's any consolation, it takes several people messing that up to wipe the raid, usually what happens is either 1-2 people die by themselves, or half the raid stays to try to burst him down before it goes off. I've seen it work, but it usually doesn't.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

If you are tanking and another tank takes agro you take that poo poo super personally and provoke whenever it refreshes. It's the ffxiv version of taking out an ad in a 1790s paper calling you a royalist.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

If you spin the boss fast enough, you win!

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

If I'm tanking in a Trial or Raid, hit half health, and don't have access to Living Dead or whatever 'oh poo poo' button, is it ok to shirk to the other tank?
Do they then become the main tank for the run until they shirk back?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

If I'm tanking in a Trial or Raid, hit half health, and don't have access to Living Dead or whatever 'oh poo poo' button, is it ok to shirk to the other tank?

Depends on who has their aggro stance on, really. It might put them in the lead for a little bit, if they already had their stance on (but had turned it on later in the fight) but if your stance is on and theirs isn't, one shirk probably won't be enough to transfer aggro, and even if it does you'll pull back ahead pretty quick. If your health is really low and you have absolutely no defensive tools left, it can be worth trying, but odds are it won't help much.

e: As the poster below says, though, half health really isn't anything to worry about as a tank, unless there's literally an EX or savage tankbuster pointed at you, at which point it's too late to do anything about it other than pray your healers top you off. The astro may be trying to get as much out of Essential Dignity as they can, or the WHM already has their finger on the Benediction button. Half is almost certainly enough to take a few more autoattacks, and even a raidwide or normal-content tankbuster.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 9, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Half health? You’re fiiiine. Unless the healers are dead.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The occasions in which you'll need to tank swap in normal content are few and far between. Generally, it'll only happen when the main tank dies.

Incidentally, that's why it's a good idea to turn your tank stance on during the fight while off-tanking. That way, if the MT does go down, the boss immediately turns to you instead of pasting a bunch of dps while you're fumbling for your stance and Provoke. Just give the MT 15 or so seconds of lead time and go easy on your damage rotation.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 9, 2023

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Heran Bago posted:

This is all I could think of reading this post.

But yeah if they've got tank stance on shirking to them is probably fine. If they don't then Shirk won't do anything because you'll have way more aggro.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 9, 2023

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

1stGear posted:

Incidentally, that's why it's a good idea to turn your tank stance on during the fight while off-tanking. That way, if the MT does go down, the boss immediately turns to you instead of pasting a bunch of dps while you're fumbling for your stance and Provoke. Just give the MT 15 or so seconds of lead time and go easy on your damage rotation.

From DPS main who is staunchly opposed to Provoke wars: don't go easy. If you take aggro because you're pressing buttons and the MT isn't, that's legit. If they insist on provoking back off you just turn your stance off for a few seconds longer than the first time before turning it back on.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

There are only two situations where you should shirk.

1. Boss has used an ability that is intended to force a tank swap, like a physical vuln up or similar. This doesn't happen much in normal difficulty.

2. It would be funny. This one requires more creativity but is very rewarding if you get it right.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I would like all classes to have a Shirk so if something punches us we can aim at the tank and slap it.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Dareon posted:

I would like all classes to have a Shirk so if something punches us we can aim at the tank and slap it.

If you run onto the tank then unless they're asleep their next aoe will pick up the mob (and until they do, that galaxy brain meme from above "mobs having aggro on other players is mitigation" is unironically true)

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Qwertycoatl posted:

If you run onto the tank then unless they're asleep their next aoe will pick up the mob

This is generally true, but the enormous hitboxes on mobs in recent dungeons mean maneuvering the one that's on you into the tank's AoE circle isn't as easy as it used to be. The tank actually has to be paying enough attention to slide over a bit.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Heran Bago posted:

At half health the healers will actually give you their oGCD heals and cooldowns. If you crater to 10% they will begin the ceremonial game of chicken to see who actually casts a GCD heal.

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Uganda Loves Me posted:

For the next one, there's one specific boss where it's tradition each alliance has a role to do :
- alliance A handles adds so you'll need to get aggro on them
- alliance B do something that will be explained if you ask your group, and you should be with them
- alliance C tanks the boss and two players have a mission at some point, you should get the aggro on the boss
If you're alliance C, the boss does huge aoes from his rear so watch out for that ;)

e: I should add that I got yelled at once because I didn't tank the lovely low hp adds that shouldn't survive more than 5 seconds and alliance C was angry.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Heran Bago posted:

Just trust your healer. Nothing matters but the last HP

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Zanael posted:

For the next one, there's one specific boss where it's tradition each alliance has a role to do :
- alliance A handles adds so you'll need to get aggro on them
- alliance B do something that will be explained if you ask your group, and you should be with them
- alliance C tanks the boss and two players have a mission at some point, you should get the aggro on the boss
If you're alliance C, the boss does huge aoes from his rear so watch out for that ;)

e: I should add that I got yelled at once because I didn't tank the lovely low hp adds that shouldn't survive more than 5 seconds and alliance C was angry.

Cool, I'll keep this in mind. I'll be sure to speak up more in alliance chat, too. Determine who main tanks, etc.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
If, as a tank, I have a choice between two lv. 90 weapons:

- A blue weapon with +2 base damage which cannot be overmelded
- A green weapon which can, in theory, hold five materia

... which one should I pick? Okay, specifically I should wait for 6.3 to find out if a better weapon is coming, but in general? I've been prioritizing base damage so far but if I'm going to settle into a weapon that doesn't need to be replaced every two levels, I suppose the answer might be different.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Picayune posted:

... which one should I pick? Okay, specifically I should wait for 6.3 to find out if a better weapon is coming, but in general? I've been prioritizing base damage so far but if I'm going to settle into a weapon that doesn't need to be replaced every two levels, I suppose the answer might be different.
If you need to ask this question, just go by item level.

That's not me being glib, I'm saying that if you need to ask about if you should be worried about overmelding, you don't need to worry about overmelding.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Picayune posted:

Weapon damage beats everything. Barring that, higher weapon damage also aligns with higher main stats (str and vit) which beat secondary stats you get from materia.

There's an extremely rare edge case where this isn't the case, and it's because healer substats are hot loving garbage.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It's always funny to me the WoD still holds true the ABC mantra. It hasn't mattered in several years. Anyone yelling at anyone else in there for anything should be pitied they care about something so trivial.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

A B C
Alltogether, be Consumed.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Aaaaaay get in the belly

Belly belly belly

Cmon get in the belly

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, for tank/DPS
--Damage beats everything
--main stats beat substats
--red materia substats are kiiiiiiiinda equal, and skill speed is weird (some jobs like it, some hate it, and some have weird breakpoints)

Just use Bigger Number until endgame, then start caring about substat balancing (even the skill speed shenanigans isn't worth worrying about until then). You only need to worry about the edge cases if doing week 1 savage raiding and have mastered the rest of your job's mechanics.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 9, 2023

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SettingSun posted:

It's always funny to me the WoD still holds true the ABC mantra. It hasn't mattered in several years. Anyone yelling at anyone else in there for anything should be pitied they care about something so trivial.

Tanks/healers it helps divide roles, since you need at least two tanks doing different things. Aside from that I go with "if you know how to Belly, go Belly"

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

It does help to have one main tank, one belly tank, one adds tank, but it's not super necessary and literally nobody but the tanks should bother worrying about who's doing what, as long as a handful of people go do the belly stuff.

The only true mistake is when people think "as soon as I put the shackles on, the boss starts fighting again, so I should delay as much as possible", then their 'holding chains' buff times out, the boss gets mad, and things get very funny from there.

If you grab the chains, don't delay using them.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

Got through WoD. Enough people knew the drill that it wasn't too bad.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I remember my early WoD runs where I didn't know if you held onto the chain too long it would time out. Queue nearly leaving the instance in embarrassment.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Uganda Loves Me posted:

Got through WoD. Enough people knew the drill that it wasn't too bad.

I want to emphasize that when you wipe a bunch on dun scaith it almost certainly isn't your fault

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

IIRC for materia isn't is always crit for DPS unless you are BLM, in which spell speed is better because you can do mechanics easier?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Feldegast42 posted:

IIRC for materia isn't is always crit for DPS unless you are BLM, in which spell speed is better because you can do mechanics easier?
Spell/Skill Speed to desired GCD speed, then Crit. Some jobs want no Spell/Skill Speed though.

Black Mage can go Spell Speed heavy or Crit heavy based on the player's comfort level.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

SettingSun posted:

I remember my early WoD runs where I didn't know if you held onto the chain too long it would time out. Queue nearly leaving the instance in embarrassment.

First time I grabbed the chains... I swear the interaction point didn't exist. Ever since then I've wondered if I forgot to check the other side of the dog.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Badger of Basra posted:

I want to emphasize that when you wipe a bunch on dun scaith it almost certainly isn't your fault

An Olympic sized swimming pool of my blood can be found in Dun Scaith

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah, from what I've seen. It's DH/Determination after that which changes. Not much though, and I think they tweaked DH recently so the jobs that cared about that don't care as much. Which I think was mainly Warriors, since their big attacks auto-crit/auto-DH. Crit also adds to the damage of crits so it counted for something, DH didn't used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Antivehicular posted:

Over in Elemental it's standard that B tank gets to be the main tank and the other 2 just dick about until adds show up.