Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

There it is, there's the joke. Thank you Dick

always happy to assist, threw this little number together too for what it is worth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DaysBefore posted:

Joe Rohan.... Theoden does mushrooms...? Uh, maybe something with Jordan Peterson or Elon Musk as Grima Wormtongue? There's a joke here, I just can't find it.

Joe Rogan : so you poured your hate, malice and greed into a secret ring to control them all?
Sauron : well you see the duadenal nature of the chaotic man intermixed with colloquium baroque need for order is what percolated the idea of a sort of Kantain Malthusian hierarchy to control the hearts of men. Also Rohan was starting wildfires in Mordor because Antifa
Joe : riiiiiiiight. So antifa forced you to make the ring. Have you tried lambas bread?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Those orcs were just tourists seeing the sights in Minas Tirith

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmfao died laughing when i saw old man Q

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

People who liked the show were calling for it to be one-and-done. It ended perfectly and told a mostly contained story, and whatever happened next after the main lady ate the Dr Manhattan egg was doomed to be stupid as gently caress anyway.

Well, my question was "why didn't HBO and Time Warner, who own the characters, just go ahead and do more seasons regardless". I personally don't care if they do or don't, I'm just surprised that a major media company didn't milk the poo poo out of an IP that they own outright when it proved to be even the least bit popular.

quote:

More shows should include some hidden piece of American history in their setups the way Watchmen did the Tulsa Race Massacre. If the Right wants to ban schools from teaching actual American history, then its up to pop culture, as sad as that is.

Now you just have to convince the major media companies that this is a money-making strategy they need to pursue. Good luck with that :v:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Finally jumped on Letterboxd, so I can be one of those people.

https://letterboxd.com/lancehunter/

Gonna watch a bunch of trash on Tubi this week. Assault of the Killer Bimbos is next in the queue.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

lmfao died laughing when i saw old man Q

Mike Flanagan looks like the kind of guy who has strong opinions about Windows Server 2012 vs Windows Server 2016

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Mike Flanagan is good

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

don't care lol. cops were the baddies. use your brain

I used my brain to realize that it loving sucks rear end

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i turn on the movie///she suck on my tubi

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Mike Flanagan looks like the kind of guy who has strong opinions about Windows Server 2012 vs Windows Server 2016

You mean you dont?!@?! smdh

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
Spent almost 6 hours watching two movies today: Tár & Titanic. Loved both of them, Tár because psychological character studies/breakdowns are super interesting when done well. Blanchett was so good and will probably get an Oscar for it. At first I was kind of hesitant of all the art/music jargon and intricacies but suddenly you just get sucked in the psyche of the character.
I hadn't watched Titanic in probably over 10-15 years and goddamn it still kicks rear end. It's big budget film making at its finest, and along with LotR and Gladiator, probably the last of their kinds in the way there are still huge detailed sets, thousands of extras, costumes, universal and epic stories, all directed by someone who knows what they are doing. What they used to call movies.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The second half of Titanic is fantastic. First half relies a lot on DiCaprio's acting to its detriment but Winslett is good and I'm a sucker for a well done period piece.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Tártanic

edit: or Titárnic

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I feel like there will be fistfights breaking out when the Oscar nominations are announced and Best Actress is a head-to-head contest between Cate Blanchett and Michelle Yeoh. I mean, we all recognize that it will be that eventually, but I think that once the nominations happen the situation will solidify in people's minds and battle lines will be drawn.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Blanchett and it’s not close

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Blanchett and it’s not close

Maybe, but Yeoh has the advantage of 1) Oscar voters will consider this a "lifetime achievement" type award, since she hasn't been nominated before and is unlikely to end up in a spot to be nominated again, and 2) only film nerds actually saw Tár.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Mike Flanagan directed Oculus, the infamously actually good WWE movie about a killer mirror, Ouija: Origin of Evil, the infamously actually good prequel to a horror movie about ouija boards, and Doctor Sleep, the infamously actually good sequel to The Shining about vampires

this should have easily cemented his reputation as "the guy who somehow pulled THAT ONE off"

but it seems his legacy is fated to be "have you watched the new netflix show Midnight at Midnight Manor? it's pretty good!" "no, I've been meaning to check it out. I still haven't seen The Haunting of the House of Midnight"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Do you have to be a Letterboxd Pro member to get your 2022 stats? I'm a lowly free member and haven't seen mine yet.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'd assume Blanchett wins that. I feel like "lifetime achievement" Oscars don't start happening until you have lost a few times. I would not assume this will be Yeoh's only bite at the apple either; she's probably getting much meatier offers since EEAAO.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Cubone posted:

Mike Flanagan directed Oculus, the infamously actually good WWE movie about a killer mirror, Ouija: Origin of Evil, the infamously actually good prequel to a horror movie about ouija boards, and Doctor Sleep, the infamously actually good sequel to The Shining about vampires

this should have easily cemented his reputation as "the guy who somehow pulled THAT ONE off"

but it seems his legacy is fated to be "have you watched the new netflix show Midnight at Midnight Manor? it's pretty good!" "no, I've been meaning to check it out. I still haven't seen The Haunting of the House of Midnight"

I haven't seen Oculus or Ouija, but I feel like anything I've seen of his that I've enjoyed needs an asterix. I thought Doctor Sleep was great except for when he tried to recreate scenes from The Shining. I thought Gerald's Game was great except for the dumb ending. I thought Hill House was great except for the saccharine ending. I have the least complaints about Bly Manor but it wasn't as good as any of those. Didn't like Midnight Mass.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1612488380251512832

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G19G9PFPH4

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Cacator posted:

I haven't seen Oculus or Ouija, but I feel like anything I've seen of his that I've enjoyed needs an asterix. I thought Doctor Sleep was great except for when he tried to recreate scenes from The Shining. I thought Gerald's Game was great except for the dumb ending. I thought Hill House was great except for the saccharine ending. I have the least complaints about Bly Manor but it wasn't as good as any of those. Didn't like Midnight Mass.
I haven't actually seen most of these lol
but Oculus definitely has a pretty big asterisk for me
early on it really leans into the "the protagonists actually being smart about this and taking huge precautions" angle, but to get passed that it doesn't really do anything clever, it just keeps going back to the "what they're seeing isn't really happening" well

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
counterpoint re: TAR

https://twitter.com/TrollGizmo/status/1612517992117461001

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Cate "i named my child after roman polanski, the perfect innocent genius" Blanchett will win because hollywood is nothing if not an incestuous old boys club.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Don’t sign your posts

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

That DICK! posted:

Don’t sign your posts

:iceburn:

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

PostNouveau posted:

I would not assume this will be Yeoh's only bite at the apple either; she's probably getting much meatier offers since EEAAO.

Yeah, like Netflix’s Witcher prequel series! :chloe:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Yeah, like Netflix’s Witcher prequel series! :chloe:

Doing garbage that's beneath you for a paycheck is a sign of making it in Hollywood :colbert:

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.

not trolled not crying posted:

I hadn't watched Titanic in probably over 10-15 years and goddamn it still kicks rear end. It's big budget film making at its finest, and along with LotR and Gladiator, probably the last of their kinds in the way there are still huge detailed sets, thousands of extras, costumes, universal and epic stories, all directed by someone who knows what they are doing. What they used to call movies.

This quote is funny to me because my wife and I went to see Avatar: The Way of Water yesterday and afterwards she told me that the ship sinking setpiece that happens late had some parts that were almost shot for shot identical to Titanic.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

If there was any justice in the world Yeoh would have already won an oscar for driving a motorcycle onto a train in Supercop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Du2LeN47QIw

Also that convertible stunt almost fuckin killed her jfc

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

King of the Cosmos posted:

This quote is funny to me because my wife and I went to see Avatar: The Way of Water yesterday and afterwards she told me that the ship sinking setpiece that happens late had some parts that were almost shot for shot identical to Titanic.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw Avatar 2 and that's kind of what made me want to watch Titanic again. I'm sure Cameron did it intentionally but it was quite funny to see how the climax basically becomes a mini-Titanic.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PostNouveau posted:

Doing garbage that's beneath you for a paycheck is a sign of making it in Hollywood :colbert:

Honestly, one of the biggest reasons that this will probably be Yeoh's only chance for an Oscar is specifically because she's a smart person and isn't going to do a bunch of tepid Oscar-bait for the next decade+ to chase after the golden statue. She'll keep taking roles that get her paid and/or seem like fun, and the chance that there's another case where one of those roles also happens to be a huge hit with Oscar potential is virtually nil.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I'm actually kinda keen to see that new Shymalayan film, mostly for Dave Bautista tho.

Also Skinamarink is this friday apparently??

King of the Cosmos
Jun 6, 2004

Maybe We'll invent a Cosmic Esperanto.

priznat posted:

I'm actually kinda keen to see that new Shymalayan film, mostly for Dave Bautista tho.

Also Skinamarink is this friday apparently??

I had no idea it was almost Skinamarink time. Definitely going to set up some tickets for this weekend sometime.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Turned off Skinamarink after about 5 minutes. I picked it based on the brief synopsis and was unaware it was uhhhh what’s the nice way of saying it? Experimental. It’s experimental cinema. Not for me.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Improbable Lobster posted:

I used my brain to realize that it loving sucks rear end

drat, now I have to like it

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Endless Trash posted:

Turned off Skinamarink after about 5 minutes. I picked it based on the brief synopsis and was unaware it was uhhhh what’s the nice way of saying it? Experimental. It’s experimental cinema. Not for me.

The trailer had me hooked, had this extremely creepy dreamlike feel of a kid in the 80s so it hits extra hard for me I guess

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Woke Hollywood Producers tried to initially adapt it as The Watchwomen, but they had to reverse course after Dr. Womanhattan wouldn't stop appearing at all points in time simultaneously to ask for directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/WillSloanEsq/status/1612531480973942799?s=20&t=e9htW_GMd8JaJKkBwJ0x4w