Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

CommonShore posted:

This is why I make sure that every grappling class that I teach includes at least one cool fun technique, whether a basic throw or a simple submission (and at least one fundamental drill).

Powerful post/avatar combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 05, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

I know Daddy Daze is generally unmemorable to bad, but this is some exceptionally awkward writing.

riderchop posted:

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Everyone who's died drank water at some point, makes u think.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

:china:
Oh well good thing we're in a literal supermarket, grab a Snickers off the shelf and keep the wrapper to pay for it later.

or I dunno maybe they shoot you for that in the US. Guy's white though

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Stultus Maximus posted:

I love Tauhid and his work but I think he needs to stop using one of the most well known strips of all time as direct inspiration.

Eh - there have been many snowman comics from C&H, I certainly wouldn't describe that as 'one of the best known strips of all time'.

I think that Crabgrass is fine.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Samovar posted:

Eh - there have been many snowman comics from C&H, I certainly wouldn't describe that as 'one of the best known strips of all time'.

Yeah, when I think C&H snowman strips, I think of the strips that are extremely elaborate horror shows Calvin builds on the front lawn.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Lockhorns

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

This reminds me of the stories of 18th centuary novelist Elizabeth Gaskell writing her novels on the kitchen table.

Selachian posted:

I ... I am older than Ed loving Kudlick. This is a horrifying revelation. :smith:

You should try pole-vaulting and report back, if you happen to survive.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The Antique Dealer’s Tale

Cthulhu and Girl

Futaba and Ayame really need to practice better cam security.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 7/8/03

Brenda Starr 3/5/50

Smokey Stover 3/30/52

Everyday Movies 12/23/35

"Don't try so hard, Mopey -- the message we really want to send is 'Merry Christmas to all.'"

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/1-3/40

one thousand and one

Any guesses as to how Scarlet gets out of this, given that she is not Invisible Flying Scarlet O'Neil?

Selachian fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 9, 2023

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Samovar posted:

I don't mean that particular C&H, I meant C&H itself as "one of the best known strips of all time." This is the third time recently he's taken from Watterson really obviously.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't mean that particular C&H, I meant C&H itself as "one of the best known strips of all time." This is the third time recently he's taken from Watterson really obviously.

Probably because he grew up with it, C&H ended almost 30 years you can't still have it make certain subject be forbidden from being in comics.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
If you don't want comic strip artists to repeat jokes have I got really bad news for you. :haw:

Nancy's a real rear end in a top hat to Sputter.

Demons is getting pretty incredible, I can't wait to see the fallout from this guy getting second stringed.

And Invisible Scarlett seems to be the cream of the batshit insane Brenda Starr-alike crop. Not too hard when Deathless Deer is your competition I guess.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Cthulhu and Girl

Futaba and Ayame really need to practice better cam security.

What a wonderful last panel. :3:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna have the powerpuff girls theme in my head all day now.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 9: Boys Like Fun Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

No one can idle with Claire on their case. She has a hummingbird’s metabolism and sees the world at twice the speed we do.

Now, here’s a reward for you just for sticking around. A bushbaby video. DId you know that bushbabies are primates? Well, you do now.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Mar. 06, 1955)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/1-3/40

one thousand and one

Any guesses as to how Scarlet gets out of this, given that she is not Invisible Flying Scarlet O'Neil?

She somehow collides with the pilot as he parachutes down, despite them starting hundreds of yards apart at improbable angles.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
God damit Val, those horses had families!

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Haifisch posted:

2018 Spiderman

In his youth, Jonah was bitten by a radioactive Stan Lee.

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

As someone who's had a cockatiel express affection for them via their finger meats, I suspect vomit would be the least of the bird hazards he could be suffering. Bet we know how he lost that eye.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Huxley posted:

Some folks calls it a kaiser blade.

Tomorrow: I reckon Ed Kudlick has a heart attack after a big meal o' them French Fried po-taters and some biscuits 'n mustard, mm-hmm.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The War-Lords of Phoenix

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (February 26, 1935)

Peanuts (January 12, 1976)

Miss Peach (June 26, 1989)

Crankshaft

Oh look, Ed blue himself. :rimshot:

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 10, 1939)

The spirit of '40 catches up enough with Out Our Way today that I want to go back to '38. :smith: (October 10-12, 1940)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 9, 2023

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

EasyEW posted:

The spirit of '40 catches up with Out Our Way enough today that I want to go back to '38. :smith: (October 10-12, 1940)

It's handling WWII better than Toonerville handled WWI. Remember its strange pro-german phase that turned into a massive wave of jingoism once the US came in on the side of the allies?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's somewhat sad knowing they ain't seen nothing yet.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

goatface posted:

It's somewhat sad knowing they ain't seen nothing yet.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Tauhid also did "giant shoes" jokes in The Problem With Jamal, and he was very open that they were homages to the Zits running gags. I think they're loving references and there's enough there to make it distinctly different that it's not a complete rip-off.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

I'm gonna say awning.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

All right enough of this. Bring us Drunk Wilbur.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

*cashier reaches for orange juice, is electrocuted*
*June sighs*

Andertoons

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Storefri

Possibly nws

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

So I thought it was just an occasional style choice but now I'm realizing that it has to be making a deliberate choice to draw everyone, all the time with flat white circles for mouths because like all things Mark Trail the author has driven it into the ground over the last week. I even hopped into the old thread and bounced off a few random pages to compare and yeah, Mark Trail is now too deadlined rushed for details like teeth, tongues and mouth shapes that it formerly bothered with.

I'm impressed. The strip is already rubbing shoulders with the worst in the history of the thread and isn't afraid to submit unfinished sketches in panels now. I mean hell, I'm still leery that the animal close ups are traced after the tiger cubs story beat me over the head with samples. How much worse can it get? :munch:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ha-ha-oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008