Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This Dustin storyline is vile!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dustin opening the year with an exploration of cucking as a means to revitalise a marriage.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

That reminds me, it feels like it's been a bit since we've seen Mopsy.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

They're not even taking potshots at Dustin this time and it's about the worst that strip has ever been. Almost everyone save for possibly Dustin himself is a massive piece of poo poo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Has the writer of Dustin just been divorced or something? What the hell...

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
what the gently caress is wrong with the Dustin people

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Re: this Dustin storyline, here's The Comics Curmudgeon take on it;

Josh Fruhlinger posted:

Dustin is still doing the “Dustin’s dad wants to do pole vaulting” “plot,” for a second week, which I’m reasonably sure is the longest I’ve ever seen it do a “plot,” and I feel like the way Dustin’s mom is reacting is kind of the key to why I hate this strip so much. Ever since she found out that Dustin’s dad wants do this, she’s been in a simmering fury, which I assume we’re supposed to understand is because, deep down, she loves her husband and is scared of him acting self-destructively, but we (and, presumably, her husband) never hear the “she loves her husband” part and instead she’s just immediately gone from zero to “HOPE YOU HAVE A GOOD TIME IN HELL THINKING ABOUT ME loving HOT YOUNG DUDES.” Which, I realize these are “jokes” and exaggerated versions of real-life behaviors and whatnot but it feels of a piece with the vibe where Dustin’s dad gives Dustin constant poo poo for being a loser, and maybe if asked he’d say (or the creators of the strip would say) it’s because he loves his son and wants him to succeed but if the “love” part is never expressed it’s just people being mean to each other, you know? Sorry to not be making any jokes here but it’s wild that there’s this family comic strip about a family incapable of expressing affection towards one another, maybe because they don’t actually feel affection, and we’re supposed to like or root for these people. Like at least when the Lockhorns do it, it’s explicitly the entire bit of the strip, plus they’re weird little gnome people so it’s funnier to see them fight.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Josh posted:

which I’m reasonably sure is the longest I’ve ever seen it do a “plot,”

I think the Dustin dates a cougar storyline went on longer. I mention it mainly because I liked that story. Dustin, why did you ever let her go?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Seriously though the dating profile thing is incredibly unhinged. What the gently caress?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The weird thing is it's not even really jokes anymore, Dustin Mom is just being an insane jackass.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Weembles posted:

It's handling WWII better than Toonerville handled WWI. Remember its strange pro-german phase that turned into a massive wave of jingoism once the US came in on the side of the allies?

Part of that might have to do with a generation of assimilation of that particular wave of European immigrants, but that might not hold out forever once Americans start paying attention to Asia, seeing as how that's how it worked in the wider culture. On the real world timeline, the Empire of Japan had just signed the Tripartite Pact with fascist Italy and the Nazis at the end of September, and up to this point the Pacific war hadn't dominated the front pages of the papers I pull from the way the Blitzkrieg and the Battle of Britain did.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Squishy posted:

I think the Dustin dates a cougar storyline went on longer. I mention it mainly because I liked that story. Dustin, why did you ever let her go?

wait what

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way

Out Our Way (Ruined For 66 MYA)

gently caress you did a much better job also nice choice of year on the copyright

Dustin got tree'd by a cougar while dogwalking for rent money and fell in love with it because Ed had lied to him and told him Stockholm Syndrome was a real thing.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dustin's Cougar Saga (Feb 2018)

Looks like it was only a week.

e. wait, was there another cougar?

Kennel fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jan 10, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 10/31 - 11/2/49

Archie 3/7-9/46

It took me a few reads to figure out the magician's name is pronounced "so hammy."

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
the Dustin storyline is.....very weird.

Gonna go read A Problem With Jamal from the first comic, then come back and hopefully find Dustin's dad has learned his lesson never to try new things.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Jan 23, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 4-5, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Comic Strips 23: This is so cool I have to go to the bathroom!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm liking Archie way more than I expected I would. It is good.

Luann

My mom read romance novels. Apparently I was supposed to be horrified by this instead of asking her for recommendations.

Gil Thorp

Oh dear

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Take your wistful, sentimental, "meaningful" C&H strips, for my money this is the one that most nails what it's like to be a kid. Being unable to process excitement to the point where all you know to do is piss.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Huxley posted:

Dustin is vile!

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

How dare you consider your parents ever thought about s-e-you-know-what

It's amazing how diametrically opposed Luann is to 9 Chickweed Lane, and amazing how both are horrible.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Howard Beale posted:

It's amazing how diametrically opposed Luann is to 9 Chickweed Lane, and amazing how both are horrible.

They should trade writers for a week and see what happens.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Howard Beale posted:

My son went through a period where he would positively turn green whenever we'd (hardly ever) turn the conversation so he'd realize that his parents got it on. He even got super-annoyed at it.

He's 29 & getting married soon. He just got over it. Sorta.

If he ever really gets on my nerves I'll regale him with the tale of flipping his mattress after he moved out & finding a pile of condom wrappers.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Sundae posted:

They should trade writers for a week and see what happens.
Thanks to the bss discord I know 9cl is wrapping up (spoilered because it's gross and nobody should read about 9cl if they don't have to) a storyline about teenage Amos asking Edda's mom about the facts of sex repeatedly, and generally continuing Brooke's creepy fascination with teens learning about sex. I'll take regular Luann, thanks.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Beauty Standards Are Bullshit, Do Whatever

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

I may have been a sleep-deprived moron who mistook an edit for an actual strip yesterday.

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Boomer Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
By loving christ if they drag this thing out this long only to keep that loving van... :argh:

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

lol @ the coloring error

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 06, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

riderchop posted:

Compu-toon

What?

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

old macOS icon, bombs on planes etc etc

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The Antique Dealer’s Tale

Cthulhu and Girl

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

:china:

Savarna behind him, these 2 Bandar scouts joining the party... this is starting to look like The Phantom's letter to the Penthouse Forum

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Today's Fingerpori.

That guy is clearly Hector without hair.

I wonder if that's where this story is going? Hector traveling back through time to make them realize they prefer their lovely broken van over a newer car?

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 10, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

'Cissy'?

I've only ever seen is spelled 'Sissy'.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

~Coxy posted:

Heathcliff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1pMMIe4hb4

My random thoughts on the comics of the new year;

I'm really enjoying Archie, I think that and Casper were the comics I learned to read from. Also, return of the Bus is appreciated!
Also, Invisible Scarlet O'Neil is I think inadvertently funny.
Glad Funky is dead, can't imagine working on something for so long and just let it fizz out as terrible as it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

:china:
I'm genuinely unable to tell, even from context and story structure, if they're supposed to have found an actual cryptid in the boat-sized alligator, or if that's a regular alligator drawn in the regular art style.