Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
In answer to the question about adults wanting to buy better versions of sets they had as kids: surely the rampant success of the whole Star Wars line attests to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Any idea when they'll eventually retire the UCS Millennium Falcon?

My work gives us a yearly $400 "self care" stipend in which we are encouraged to buy things/services for ourselves and I'm extremely tempted to blow some/all of it on bricks. The big castle is tempting too, but I don't know that I have space for it to sit anywhere once assembled.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

smackfu posted:

Also kind of an open question: do adult Lego fans actually want to buy updated versions of the sets they had as kids?

If they release an updated aqua sharks set, I'll buy five.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

smackfu posted:

Also kind of an open question: do adult Lego fans actually want to buy updated versions of the sets they had as kids?

Only if they have buttholes

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Cojawfee posted:

If they release an updated aqua sharks set, I'll buy five.

2025 will be the Aquazone 30th anniversary.

If Lego wants all of my money that year they'll do an ultimate Nauts vs. Sharks set. Or Nauts and Sharks vs. Raiders. Or Everybody vs. Stingrays battle royale.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

id assume just about every adult has a butthole so this is a weird stipulation

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

xzzy posted:

but these days no one wants to see a minifigure's rear end through a gap in the underside of a space ship.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I'll say what we're all thinking but are too afraid to say it...

WE NEED MORE ARCHITECTURE SETS drat IT, there's so many potential sets possible, I'd gladly put myself into debt for them.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

shut up blegum posted:

I'm new to bricklinck, why do some parts have a *! under them?
In what context / on what pages?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

PowerBeard posted:

I'll say what we're all thinking but are too afraid to say it...

WE NEED MORE ARCHITECTURE SETS drat IT, there's so many potential sets possible, I'd gladly put myself into debt for them.

I want a giant Calatrava with moving parts so bad. Motorized even.

Also

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

80% of my leisure purchases as an adult are a feeble attempt to recapture a fraction of the joy I once experienced as a child, and I will throw stupid amounts of money at anything that I think might trigger the last little serotonin receptor in my brain.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Are there any leaks what this year's 'big set' is going to be or is it too early?

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

smackfu posted:

HootTheOwl posted:

When i was a kid we could only afford the 3/4 dollar sets. It was a big deal when I got something in the 20 range, so when a company weaponizes my nostalgia like this it's a big deal and I'm a huge sucker.

Yeah this. Not everyone who wanted a pirate ship had one.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Mr. Neutron posted:

Are there any leaks what this year's 'big set' is going to be or is it too early?

I hate to inform you that this year’s big set is a celebration of 2001-2003’s Jack Stone theme, featuring a brick-built replica of the Jack Stone 4+ Figure that is, naturally, four feet tall.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Sloppy posted:

I want a giant Calatrava with moving parts so bad. Motorized even.

Also

The best part is they don't even have to label what city it's from since everything he designs looks like a picked over fish skeleton

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Moonlight posted:

I hate to inform you that this year’s big set is a celebration of 2001-2003’s Jack Stone theme, featuring a brick-built replica of the Jack Stone 4+ Figure that is, naturally, four feet tall.

Piece count: 4

MSRP: $700USD

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Neo-Galidor: now with airplane LEGS!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I am an old man that derives joy from putting together the model cars offered by this company.

Speaking of that, I placed an order for 2 Speed Champ cars for me and the Wile E. Coyote pack as a gift for my wife. I got a gift card for Christmas so I used some of it on this order. Was supposed to arrive last week via UPS. I was sitting at home and got the text that it was delivered, which is not out of the ordinary because for some reason UPS and Amazon have something against ringing the goddamn doorbell. I went outside and looked around and there was no box. I looked that the neighbor's house since we are very close to each other and one other time a package for us was on their steps. Nothing.

Searched around again, nothing at either side of the house where we have doors. Text message said it was delivered at 4:46 so I checked my Ring camera. At exactly 4:26 I was getting home from an errand I had to run. I remember looking down to the next block and seeing a UPS truck driving up the hill and thinking "man I hope I get my poo poo today." I went to the tracking page and it said that it was delievered to MET THE CUSTOMER. So now I'm upset because they apparently handed it to someone that wasn't me and wasn't even in the right block (we live on a corner).

I got in touch with UPS and the next morning they pretty much said "can't find it, contacted the seller, case closed." What the gently caress does that mean for me? I contacted Lego and told them what was up and they said they would send out another order, except the Lotus I ordered was now out of stock so they would refund my card. I told them I paid for a gift cert and they said that was no problem and that they would email me a new gift cert for the amount of the Lotus. I know you can get sets cheaper other places, but it is nice to have customer service like this.

Also I ordered the Lotus from Amazon for $5 less than the Lego site (along with the Batmobile from the old TV show). That is my Lego story and I wanted to share it with you nerds.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I don't really consider myself nostalgic for Lego, it's just an enjoyable hobby. I had the space monorail as a kid and I guess if they still had something like that I'd be into it, but I got into all the trains because that's what they offer and they do so much more than back in the 80s. Wife and I are into the modulars too though, so if they had modular style updates to sets I had then I might get them. Thinking back I had a police station and gas station, so I guess I already did get those. Not sure how you'd do a modular truck stop though. I never had the parking garage but I wouldn't turn down a huge-rear end mostly empty modular parking garage to fit a bunch of speed champions in, even if the scale sucks with modulars.

Hey Carbohydrates, make a MOC parking garage to display all those cars of yours!

Edit: or a functional glass Carvana tower

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

smackfu posted:

Why not just build the set you had as a kid? :smuggo:
The train I posted about a couple of pages ago is finished. Managed to find all of the pieces, except ~6 or so. I was able to replace most of them, annoyingly I lost one of the hooks for the crane. So it's pretty useless at the moment. But still, my kid is having a blast playing with this train (as do I).

(ignore the lack of floorboards. That's on my to do list but I chose to play with Lego for a week instead)

Carbohydrates posted:

In what context / on what pages?

This page for example.

I have no idea what the * or *! mean.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 9, 2023

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

EEKA GEEK posted:

The best part is they don't even have to label what city it's from since everything he designs looks like a picked over fish skeleton

Not everything, sometimes they look like novelty fingertraps

Fun fact, assholes keep breaking the glass panels so they're being removed and replaced with steel cables

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
the sets I had as a kid were things like Aquazone and Spyrius and I don't have any personal desire to revisit that kind of object or theme

now i'm a grownup and I use little bricks to make grown up things like Sonic the Hedgehog and the Creator 3-in-1 Ferris Wheel

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

davebo posted:

Hey Carbohydrates, make a MOC parking garage to display all those cars of yours!

There’s a used car lot…

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I'm envisioning a multi-storey dealership with those wraparound curved trans-clear panels.

My cars are just all parked out on the "street" (I don't have any road panels so I just put them in front of the modulars and other city buildings)

DrChu
May 14, 2002

shut up blegum posted:

Why not just build the set you had as a kid? :smuggo:
The train I posted about a couple of pages ago is finished. Managed to find all of the pieces, except ~6 or so. I was able to replace most of them, annoyingly I lost one of the hooks for the crane. So it's pretty useless at the moment. But still, my kid is having a blast playing with this train (as do I).

(ignore the lack of floorboards. That's on my to do list but I chose to play with Lego for a week instead)

This page for example.

I have no idea what the * or *! mean.
According to
https://helpdesk.bricklink.com/kb/a5/what-does-an-asterisk-or-exclamation-mark-mean-below-a-catalog-items-small-image.aspx

quote:

A small asterisk (*) below a thumbnail image indicates that there is a large image (like the one you see on this page) available when you click on the small thumbnail. A exclamation mark (!) below a thumbnail image indicates that there is a 3D image of the part (like the one you see on this page).

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Dogen posted:

There’s a used car lot…
Yeah, and when I designed it, it fit all my car MOCs at the time - all 15 of them. It was supposed to be the perfect display solution! I have 48 cars now, and that's just the 6-wides.

A parking garage is a pretty frequent suggestion, but it would be mad boring and absolutely enormous. I'm fine with just sticking 'em all on a table for cons and shows.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
You could make a giant train car hauler. Just have it haul everything around the convention center.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yeah, it seemed like an honest question to me. I bought a modern version of a Transformer not because I had it as a kid, but because I wanted it as a kid but never got it, and I think a lot of Lego is like that as well.

The recent lego castles are definitely doing this for me, as I always wanted a lego castle as a kid and never got one.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

HootTheOwl posted:

This is what peak starship performance looks like, you may not like it but it is.

gently caress me. That's the 1 Blacktron set I had. Goddamn. I need it again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah, and when I designed it, it fit all my car MOCs at the time - all 15 of them. It was supposed to be the perfect display solution! I have 48 cars now, and that's just the 6-wides.

Start de-making them and stack them in a junkyard waiting for the crusher.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress me. That's the 1 Blacktron set I had. Goddamn. I need it again.

Exploriens!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Butterfly Valley posted:

In answer to the question about adults wanting to buy better versions of sets they had as kids: surely the rampant success of the whole Star Wars line attests to this

I mean, a big difference is those sets also appeal to new fans of Lego

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

shut up blegum posted:

The train I posted about a couple of pages ago is finished.

Hell yeah sweet train vid!

spaced ninja posted:

You could make a giant train car hauler. Just have it haul everything around the convention center.

:eyepop:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

xzzy posted:

Start de-making them and stack them in a junkyard waiting for the crusher.

Ending of Brave Little Toaster moc?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sloppy posted:

Exploriens!

Thanks! Makes it easier to look up. :lol:

I google'd and im like, these don't look like that! Neon yellow pieces were all a kid in the 80s needed.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Jehde posted:

The recent lego castles are definitely doing this for me, as I always wanted a lego castle as a kid and never got one.

same but the pirate/imperial ships

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Space sets that could probably be remade into great GWP sets:

* The M-Tron Particle Ioniser - Who doesn't want a space helicopter?
* The Blacktron 2 Allied Avenger - Those canopies got so much use when I was a kid.
* Space Police Galactic Peace Keeper - I've already waxed nostalgically about this set a few pages back, and it dovetails nicely with the Blacktron GWP we've just had.
* Ice Planet 2002 Ice Sat V - Not going to lie, Ice Planet 2002 made it hard to find a set that was in the right range for GWPs, while also having the right aesthetic.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Skios posted:

* Ice Planet 2002 Ice Sat V - Not going to lie, Ice Planet 2002 made it hard to find a set that was in the right range for GWPs, while also having the right aesthetic.

This is one of my all-time favorite space sets from any line. All the moving parts, cool pieces, and it just looks awesome. Super feature dense for its size, has magnets, all the cool wheels, etc etc.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Skios posted:

* The M-Tron Particle Ioniser - Who doesn't want a space helicopter?
* The Blacktron 2 Allied Avenger - Those canopies got so much use when I was a kid.

These two are my babies

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Sloppy posted:

This is one of my all-time favorite space sets from any line. All the moving parts, cool pieces, and it just looks awesome. Super feature dense for its size, has magnets, all the cool wheels, etc etc.

I forgot all about the magnets. Haven't seen any on a set lately, was there a particular reason they stopped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They look dope. Luv space helecopter