Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Looking good. My fav is the Vulture, it's such a bold color choice.

I found a bunch of merc tracking spreadsheets google searching, but they were all a little too busy for what I wanted so I made something a lot simpler for my kiddo's merc campaign.

It ended up being more of a chore than I expected and my eyes started crossing to the point where the word "ton" looked funny and I wasn't sure if it was right. Using what I do at work for my fun time feels perverse.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

GD_American posted:

I remember when that tech readout came out, I saw the loadout and thought “oh there’s some cheese”

Yeah, it was a munchkin's wet dream when TRO3055 dropped. Our group wondered if anything was play-tested prior to publication.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The campaign tools are all super crunchy; with the general idea being you're using them without a GM so more crunch = more fair.

But you're taking on the role of GM. Unless your daughter really likes managing the space-dollars down to the penny? Toss out the crunch and abstract. Assume if she's winning fights she's not in financial trouble; and if she's doing well in fights present her with opportunities like:

"You've been making good money for a while, the servant of the local baron has approached you wondering if you'd like to buy one of his family's Thunderbolts. It's in working condition but the Baron hasn't had enough money for proper maintenance so it may need a little work. You'd probably have enough money if you sold your Blackjack."

or

"In the last battle, you took out a Vindicator with almost no damage. Your employer has given it to you as salvage. Your chief technician could probably get it working again in a mission or two; or you could save the pieces to trade in or sell if another opportunity comes up."

Or if you want something more structured, steal and modify the campaign rules from my Alpha Strike LP thread. I made them more game-like with systems the players can exploit, I just don't see the need to track every single C-Bill when there are other ways to tell how well/poorly a company is doing.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jan 9, 2023

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
PopTartsNinja, you should do some Steel Wolves cluster. Gunmetal or Platemetal Steel with Darkish brown fur. I may use my extra Warhawk and Nova from the AS Starter and do them up in Steel Wolf colors. There's still a Steel Wolves Mercenary group in Marik space probably running those colors.

http://www.warrenborn.com/Search.php?FACTION=Steel%20Wolves

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

PoptartsNinja posted:

The campaign tools are all super crunchy; with the general idea being you're using them without a GM so more crunch = more fair.

But you're taking on the role of GM. Unless your daughter really likes managing the space-dollars down to the penny? Toss out the crunch and abstract. Assume if she's winning fights she's not in financial trouble; and if she's doing well in fights present her with opportunities like:

"You've been making good money for a while, the servant of the local baron has approached you wondering if you'd like to buy one of his family's Thunderbolts. It's in working condition but the Baron hasn't had enough money for proper maintenance so it may need a little work. You'd probably have enough money if you sold your Blackjack."

or

"In the last battle, you took out a Vindicator with almost no damage. Your employer has given it to you as salvage. Your chief technician could probably get it working again in a mission or two; or you could save the pieces to trade in or sell if another opportunity comes up."

Or if you want something more structured, steal and modify the campaign rules from my Alpha Strike LP thread. I made them more game-like with systems the players can exploit, I just don't see the need to track every single C-Bill when there are other ways to tell how well/poorly a company is doing.

These are good thoughts but I'm kind of going to be a Dad about it and wrap a piece of candy around an anti-biotic pill starting to get my tween ready for life in a way I think her little gamer brain will engage with.

"Sure there IS an AS-8Q [cool video game] up for sale and you have enough cash on hand to afford it, but then you miss maintenance and payroll [rent and utilities] with the consequences that entails."

E: Man blind boxes have been a bust for me, but in the weirdest way. I picked up several with AGoaC vouchers from the B&N sale paying for shipping. As a succession war/LOSTtech era IS grognard having a mega-assault Clan Star isn't super handy. I've got 2x MadIICs, 2c Behemoth/Stone rhinos, and a Supernova. I'm sure if these were chase collated like the Wizkids game some of those would be the ultra-rares.

Providence is hitting me over the head to give up my Inner Spere Succession Warrior ways and paint up a quadrillion BV Clan direct fire assault star. But I wasn't some science project born in no plastic womb. I should see if local people swap these.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 9, 2023

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The urbie in the back is looking away in shame :laffo:

as it should :colbert:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Traffic court wants my distant heirs to pay a debt to Comstar in the waning years of the Third Succession War.

I'm going to assume they have no sense of humor and assume the typo lest they issue a BatChall.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Owlbear Camus posted:

Traffic court wants my distant heirs to pay a debt to Comstar in the waning years of the Third Succession War.

I'm going to assume they have no sense of humor and assume the typo lest they issue a BatChall.

Be sure to praise Blake when you pay, just in case.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Owlbear Camus posted:

I’ll send you my PayPal details and you can do it this century.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I know I already did pictures but final weathering on the Marik Militia came out really nice.

Vallejo's pale sand feels like cheating.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Thinking about starting a board game club at the school I teach at and using BattleTech Alpha Strike as one of the draws. Got my posters ready to be laminated, I'll be letting kids use my minis, but I also would like to get a school set of minis to expand the options. Where would be the cheapest and most reliable place to get a box set of AGOAC. Might teach the kids how to paint minis as well for the fun of it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Cheapest I'm seeing is 46.49 on Amazon, or 43.47 on Gamenerdz with 5 bucks shipping if you're averse to Amazon shopping. Both are reliable in my experience.

I've seen it discounted as low as around 40, not sure about getting it cheaper than that new in the near term. If you want to play with standees I'll send you one I ratfucked for the minis gratis. :v:

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

3d print em!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Speaking of 3d printing, does anyone know where to get in-scale helo models? 6mm infantry aren’t so hard to find, but I want some VTOLs and don’t want to buy more metal models.

e: the plan is to have some a diorama with kind of aerodyne dropship landed/on their landing approach, mechs at the ready to jump out and a pair of VTOLs perched on top, mid-takeoff (because the spirit of :jeb: possessed them and the VTOLs rode to planetside on the outside of the dropship).

e2: is there a 3d printing thread anywhere on this website?

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 10, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Speaking of 3d printing, does anyone know where to get in-scale helo models? 6mm infantry aren’t so hard to find, but I want some VTOLs and don’t want to buy more metal models.

e: the plan is to have some a diorama with kind of aerodyne dropship landed/on their landing approach, mechs at the ready to jump out and a pair of VTOLs perched on top, mid-takeoff (because the spirit of :jeb: possessed them and the VTOLs rode to planetside on the outside of the dropship).

e2: is there a 3d printing thread anywhere on this website?

Looks like this person does a lot of 6mm vehicles and has a few aircraft including an attack helo and a four engine VTOL

https://www.myminifactory.com/users/igj

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Here's also a big collection of STLs an poo poo

https://na3.ragic.com/ffolcore/fightmech-export/8#!/8

If you click where it says mech gaming you can swap the assets to other which includes tanks and plans.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I have a lore-question: How 'omni' are omnipods supposed to be? Can pods be freely swapped between different chases?

For example, both the Mad Cat and the Loki, in their Prime configuration, have LRM20s mounted in their LT and RT. But on the Mad Cat they're configured in a 5x4 launcher, while in the Loki they're 3x6 +2. Can you swap these launchers between these two mechs?

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 10, 2023

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

This is a real problem with the design of OmniMechs. A pod is a pod is a pod but most of them are so frustratingly bespoke.

Except the Hauptmann, he does it right.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

SirPhoebos posted:

I have a lore-question: How 'omni' are omnipods supposed to be? Can pods be freely swapped between different chases?

For example, both the Mad Cat and the Loki, in their Prime configuration, have LRM20s mounted in their LT and RT. But on the Mad Cat they're configured in a 5x4 launcher, while in the Loki they're 3x6 +2. Can you swap these launchers between these two mechs?

(Clanner anger intesifies)

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I thought the pods were configured for a specific type of 'mech rather than being generic? There might be some interchangeability between chassis but the primary concern was the ability for a given mech to swap configurations. If the problem is missile tubes, you could say that each tube is modular, so you can swap them out from one chassis to another in a different configuration.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You can pull any pod out of any Omni and slap it into another one in an hour. Taking the LRM-20 from a Mad Cat and putting it in a Thor? Half an hour to remove the pod, half an hour to install it in the Mad Cat. Swap the Hauptmann B's Gauss rifle with an AC/20? Half an hour each.Want to take the Thunderbolt-10 launcher in the Gauntlet's left arm and put it in place of one of the PPCs on a Masakari? Ready in an hour.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You spend ten minutes taking it off the first Omni, ten minutes plugging it into the second Omni, then ten minutes flipping it over and installing it the right way up.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

How many Poznan technicians does it take to reconfigure an OmniMech?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

General Battuta posted:

You spend ten minutes taking it off the first Omni, ten minutes plugging it into the second Omni, then ten minutes flipping it over and installing it the right way up.

:hmmyes:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

General Battuta posted:

Clan Black Windows is installing an update and will need to be restarted.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

Cthulu Carl posted:

Looks like this person does a lot of 6mm vehicles and has a few aircraft including an attack helo and a four engine VTOL

https://www.myminifactory.com/users/igj

I printed that artist mlrs and it's small! Haven't tried their aircraft yet tho.

I've finished paintings up a tank unit to go with my soon to be fed com clan invasion era company. You can see to of the mlrs in the pick. All of these are printed.

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE
Is there a good way to connect with people in your area for in-person games? I'm just getting into this whole thing and I love it, but I would really like to find more players nearby if they exist...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Admiral Snackbar posted:

Is there a good way to connect with people in your area for in-person games? I'm just getting into this whole thing and I love it, but I would really like to find more players nearby if they exist...

You could try the Facebook groups. There might be local players posting in your area. The other option is to search Battletech plus your city name and to see if any groups specific to your region already exist. Alternatively, just start showing up to your FLGS with a box of mechs and see if you can get anyone's attention.

You could also always relocate to Bangkok and enjoy Battletech and cheap beer and warm weather.

My FLGS is above TWO weed dispensaries.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Admiral Snackbar posted:

Find a store that at least sells the mechs, and see if they've got a Facebook/discord/other option for organizing games. There's a store in Cary, NC (Hangar 18) doing announcements for all of their games/leagues on Meetup, of all places, so that may also be an option.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
My local game store has a discord group and we organize game thru that. There is also a fb group but its mostly for gw stuff.

Also I painted up a bunch of mechs in camo for a local clan invasion campaign we are doing. This is the first 2 lances of a fedcom company im working on.

These combined with my tanks are the first time painting camo on anything. I think they turned out ok.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Has anyone ever done Kell Hounds or Crescent Hawks? I think I might do my Alpha Strike box up in their colors.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Admiral Snackbar posted:

Facebook I find is the best way, there is also the BattleTech forums. Lot of local groups on facebook, and you can always put a feeler for local players in the main group, and other local players will reach out. In the past year I've found 2 new players of Battletech/Clix in my area I didn't know about.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

How did you get a cockpit pic of my character in MW5 :v:

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Atlas Hugged posted:

Has anyone ever done Kell Hounds or Crescent Hawks? I think I might do my Alpha Strike box up in their colors.

I have a few lances painted up as Crescent Hawks. Mine are more washed out and sky blue than the ones on Camo Specs. Now that I've become more comfortable with using washes, I'll probably paint up a few more lances with the official royal blue look.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Some kind of new MechWarrior game (not MWO2) will come out this year, hopefully another wave of momentum.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finished my Nova Cats. I was going to give them a purple accent somewhere to remind House Marik whose side they were on, but I thought that would be a detail too far.

Instead I settled on some traditionalists using traditional Nova Cat "appropriate camo," a few former Xi Galaxy machines, and mostly hand-me-downs from the Spirit Cats--with everyone adopting the "paint sections of the 'Mech white based on personal achievement" of the Spirit Cats.

Command Star

Battle Star

Skirmish Star

Nova Cat Trinary

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 12, 2023

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

SirFozzie posted:

Some kind of new MechWarrior game (not MWO2) will come out this year, hopefully another wave of momentum.

*Will be formally announced.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Did a clan elemental in Jade Falcon colors, as best I could getting stepped on by a Timberwolf. Also experimenting with technical paints, and liking the crackle pattern that’s emerging as it dries. Doing a straight red as the base coat on…the base :v:, then doing Martian ironearth over that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Looks like CGL did the classy move and promoted Land&Sea's first novel on their main page. From what I can tell, it's not to help BLP, but rather the other guy working on it, since he's a part of CGL, which is neat. I wasn't going to look into Land&Sea before, because it seemed like "gently caress you! I'll make my OWN Battletech, with blackjack, and hookers!" but Brent Evan's post made it sound okay.

quote:

Hey there BattleTech fans.😊 Brent Evans here, longtime BattleTech Art Director (and former Line Developer) – and I’m excited to announce the release of my brand new franchise LAND&SEA! Even though this is a new gaming universe, we decided to launch it through Novels, and Splashdown is the first book in this exciting ongoing original series.
This is a story that mixes a bit of Tom Clancy, with the Expanse, a big dollop of Mech combat, and a juicy chunk of Red Dawn thrown in for good measure. Splashdown does a lot of the world building and character establishment – the perfect entry point for this new universe.
Please check it out on Amazon in Kindle, Audiobook, Hardcover and Paperback formats.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BM3Y926T...
And feel free to pre-order Riptides now - the second book in the series which will release next month to continue the story…
You’re gonna love it!